Chapter 2 : Rock-bottom

Kryptonite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2 Rock-bottom

 

In every light hides a dark from within. Behind success hides thousands of failures. Peeking through the bright smile are tears that are earned so far, tears that have been refusing to pour out. And in every tough upfront, in strength comes weaknesses. It comes in package and either wouldn’t exists without the other and this one truth, this life’s reality can never be disregarded and can only be accepted by people’s fragile hearts alongside with millions of emotions and feelings that are yet to be discovered as life goes on.

 

The sound of the breaks she stepped hard and her wheels that made a full stop, the shock in her heart, her staggered and shut down self in a total tremor, the blood bath in the driver’s body, the tears in Jennie’s face yelping in pain, the wrecked car that she saw it flipped multiple times, and the worst, with her two very own eyes she saw how Jennie closed her eyes and how useless she got she couldn’t do anything, these are only some of the few things that are circling Lisa’s quaking mind and body. 

 

“H-help… someone please… save mom…” This was last Jennie’s cry for help stuck in the passenger’s seat of the flipped car as she extended her hand before Lisa, who has seen it all, saw her eyes closed.

 

Lisa, with all these in mind, she seated almost lifeless in front of the operating room waiting to be opened in her long hours of waiting and stays stained in Jennie’s blood in her shaking hands and almost covered with dirt and ashes all over her exposed skin that’s injured. She has gone immobile due to her breakdown that she had to be moved by the nurses on a seat for her to be placed comfortably. She cannot stop her tears, automatically flowing out to drench her face that says none but fear with her two big eyes that won’t blink and bulge from staring into one corner of the waiting area.

 

Across her, almost similarly to how she feels is Chaeyoung, trembling from head to toe, staring at the operating room’s door with full of questions, confusion and anxiety in her that are left unanswered and pending. There are yet questions she want to slap into her best friend’s face and bomb her with her fuming wrath that’s evident the way she takes glimpses of her from across but because she’s as rumbled as her, here she sits hopeless waiting for results that are yet to come.

 

“Lisa! Oh my God! What happened?”

 

One by one, Lisa’s concerned friends came running in horror which was led by the overly worried girlfriend of her who immediately encircled the unresponsive Lisa around her arms with a new unstained jacket she topped in her shoulders, embracing her so tight and let the blood and dirt be shared to her. No matter how many pats and caress Jisoo does, Lisa’s sobs and cries never ceased, rather it became worse as more memories of the car accident keep on flashing in her quivering brain.

 

Knowing it’s pointless to force Lisa who is apparently in a breakdown, Chaerin cautiously walked towards Chaeyoung to ask her instead, “Hey, what exactly happened here? What’s going on?”

 

Concerned just the same, Hanbin massaged Chaeyoung’s wobbly back and asks carefully, “Are you alright? Please tell us why this happened…”

 

Chaeyoung compressed her fists against her jeans and in her clogging throat and in between her hard sobs she forced to voice, “Inside that operating room is someone I highly look up to. Inside that operating room is someone I really admire and in that room is where she’s trying to fight for her life together with the most important person in her life. Jennie-unnie was looking forward for the meeting and she was just so happy and so cheerful the last time we met in the club. But because of just one mistake, just because of this accident… I might not be able to see her smiling again… I don’t know anymore… I’m sorry…”

 

Chaeyoung couldn’t give them the most straightforward answer they are searching for yet at the same time, it’s expected after hearing a gist of Jennie’s background and Chaerin being an adult with a sharp and quick thinking immediately knew from those words that this isn’t just any of those unfortunate car accidents she often sees on news, but this accident unfolded fates.

 

Chaerin sighs in frustration as she paces in circle, “Damn Lisa, of all people you can mess up with… really…”

 

“Stop it. Lisa might totally get insane…” Bobby immediately pulled Chaerin back who almost snapped.

 

“Lisa, c’mon, just you hang on for me please. Everything’s going to be fine. I’m here for you and always remember that. I will not leave your side whatever happens. You have me, always, okay? So please don’t be like this. I don’t want to see you like this…” Jisoo desperately pleaded as she cupped Lisa’s face and closely she stared into her swollen eyes that are tired from crying and from all these tears yet it doesn’t stop.

 

Jisoo got no response but endless and breathless sobs from Lisa. Her trembles, her cries and whatever is going through her mind, whatever’s running through her veins, Lisa can never put herself together at this very moment she has nothing but the unconditional support she’s getting from these people around her. And because such incident never happened and definitely a first time for her and for everyone, no doubt her fears and angsts are at its highest peak.

 

“Are you Lalisa Manoban?” A group of men in their suit came to approach the group in their restlessness then as they all looked up to them, they formally introduce with their badges, “We’re from the police and we’d like to get Lalisa’s statement for the said car accident involving the two heavily injured victims. Her statement is important to know what really happened back there for further investigation. Is it alright for the person in question to come with us to the station?”

 

Jisoo in her high tension she instantly went on rampage as she blocks them, “Wait! Can’t you see she’s not feeling well with all this? How dare you come here and casually ask for her statement? She can’t even stand on her own!”

 

“Jisoo, stop it.” Hanbin pulled her back as he rustled.

 

“A-at… t-the intersection…”

 

Everyone around was put on hold at the heed of Lisa’s hoarse and unsteady voice from her seat. With her wide reddish eyes she has her attention fixated down the cold floor as her mind is beginning to clear out to speak of the incident that happened which caused all the mess they are in now. Her body has turned cold as she goes deeper to her recollections and chilled at the images flashing through her, yet, with all her remaining courage, at the last pinch of her might, Lisa needs to spill it out of her dried mouth.

 

The investigator bent down to meet Lisa’s eyes and with caution, he again asks, “Can you come with us at the police station and give us your story? I’m sorry that this has happened but we need your cooperation on this matter. Don’t worry, we won’t be forcing you or anything but the same time if you attempt to escape from this, there might be consequences already. So please, we know it’s hard for you too but we’ll be doing this for you and for the other two who are in that operating room right now.”

 

“But that’s—“

 

Jisoo wanted to discuss but Lisa cuts her off as she agrees at last, “Okay… I’ll come with you… But… I might not be able to tell everything… Even I don’t know the whole thing… because… it just… happened…”

 

“Thank you.” The investigator said and guided Lisa up her seat.

 

Lisa's knees are too weak for her to stand on her own and needed the men to aid her. Though her mind remains in muddle, she’s slowly regaining what’s bound to do for her to end this shiver. She got all the eyes and stares of her worried and concerned friends but not her best friend, who stays cold in her shoulders, her best friend whom she can only look at this moment she cannot even trust herself.  

 

“Chaeyoung…” Lisa stopped midway as she called out to her. “I’m really sorry…” She once again uttered.

 

Chaeyoung sniffed and responds with her back facing her, “I’ll just meet you back home… Just go with them and tell everything that happened. I’ll stay here for a while and wait for the results. I’ll update you if any, don’t worry.”

 

“Yeah…” Lisa frowned.

 

The people left behind wanders the waiting area in gloom, not knowing what to do and can only watch Lisa’s back fading away while being taken by the authorities. The silence engulfed them all but within their deepest thoughts are restless worries and edgy uncertainties brought by how fast events and happenings are unfolding before them, unable to find calm in this chaos.

 

And not for so long, the operating room’s light finally turned off, a sign that the operation is done and that a result is about to come out. Chaeyoung immediately went up on her seat faster than the sound as she realized and so impatient she stood there eyeing wide at the door waiting to be opened and so does the others waiting for the same result as her.

 

“Who’s the patients’ guardian here?” The doctor asked as he came out of the door that just opened.

 

Chaeyoung stepped forward as she said and asked nonstop still in her tears, “I’m the patient’s guardian. How are they? Are they alright? Did they suffer anything? Please tell us now.”

 

The doctor then updates forthright, “The passenger, Jennie Kim, she fortunately escaped from danger. She’s now stable and she has been moved to the ICU so that we can monitor her until she regains her consciousness. However, though she’s out of danger, she suffered multiple injuries namely, her left arm was fractured and she also has a deep wound in the head but thankfully we didn’t see any complications and we managed to close it without further damages. She also has some minor scratches in her body but those aren’t to be worried about anymore. Jennie Kim is expected to wake up by tomorrow.”

 

“Oh, that’s good to hear.” Jisoo exhaled in relief.

 

Chaeyoung also breathed as she felt relieved for a moment but she has to ask yet again, “How about her mother, the driver? How is she?”

 

The doctor dropped his lips for a frown and delivers unfortunate news, “Her mother is suffered the worst. Well, the mother is in comatose. She reacted to the treatment we gave her during the operation but she isn’t regaining her consciousness at all and she isn’t responding to our calls anymore and so we have to declare her comatose. We cannot assure anything but since her body is still fighting, of course we cannot give up on her just yet. I’m so sorry but we tried our best for the both.”

 

“How long will the mother stay like that?” Chaeyoung questioned.

 

“We don’t know unless we see changes in her during the process and within the period. Her recovery depends on how tough she’ll fight her current condition.” The doctor said. “If you want, you can go and check on them at the ICU but we only allow one guardian at a time and only a limited time.” He further informed before he walked away and left them with mixed emotions.

 

“I’ll go and follow Lisa to the police station. I think she should know about this too so that she’ll at least calm… well… somehow…” Jisoo said quickly yet unsure as she settled upon receiving the news.

 

Chaerin bobbed allowing, “I think you really should be there beside her. That girl needs your support right now.”

 

As Jisoo ran off, Hanbin takes turn as he inquires, “How about us, what should we do? Should we follow Lisa too?”

 

“No. We’re going back to the shop and inform the others about this. I’m sure they are worried too. We also have to reclaim Bobby’s car and have it back to the shop. There’s nothing much we can do from here on.” Chaerin resolved.

 

Bobby warily approached the muddled and stunned Chaeyoung in her stand and asks, “How about you, are you going to check on the patients?”

 

“Yeah. I’ll go back home after this. You guys can just go ahead.” Chaeyoung said low with her head down.

 

Chaeyoung went on her way to the ICU with her legs that are uncertain, her heart that’s pounding sorely, and her mind having so many considerations as she’s so hesitant and indeterminate of herself whether she can look at the person she respects the most on that bed, unconscious and suffering. She doesn’t know and she is confused as anyone else is, nevertheless, with the last ounce of her courage she walked forward until she found herself standing at the end of Jennie’s bed as she wears a gown with mask. From there she can see Jennie lying down the bed wrapped in bandages and in her sleeping face, the pain is apparent and her agony in her fragile body is painted.

 

“Jennie-unnie…” Chaeyoung cried. “Thank God you made it. I don’t know what to do without you, really, at the music club and at the university and everything. But how can I tell you everything when you open your eyes? How can I tell you that it’s my best friend who caused you this? How can I tell you that your beloved mom is fighting for her life?”

 

To Jennie’s left is her mother whose condition is worse than Jennie and Chaeyoung can clearly see with all these tubes and patches, all these cords and sounds of the machine attached to her body, and all these fresh wounds healing in her body, how much pain she’s going through and how difficult it might be going for her and just how agonizing her thoughts may be going through her unconscious mind.

 

“Please stay strong for Jennie…” Chaeyoung mumbled in her sobs.

 

“She’s a fighter.” A nurse came interrupting Chaeyoung’s tears as she fixes Jennie’s bed and check. “Miss Jennie could have ended up like her mother if she easily gave up but she fought back there. At times like this, what she needs is your support and care, especially when she opens her eyes and finds everything in dark. She’ll need someone to stand beside her.” She then tried to counsel to calm Chaeyoung’s heart.

 

Chaeyoung though frowns, “If only the accident didn’t happen…”

 

“For now, I advise you to go back home and take a rest too so that when she wakes up the next day, you can look and face her properly. It seems like you’re exhausted too so please, give yourself the much needed rest. That way, I’m sure the patient will be more pleased to know to look at you in ease as well.” The nurse lastly said with a smile.

 

The helpless Chaeyoung can only nod and return a faint smile, “Yeah. You’re right. Thank you very much. Please do call me if anything.”  

 

Meanwhile, as gloomy as anyone and anywhere for this night that has gone deeper, Lisa is courteously taken to the interrogation room of this station she’s taken into. Across her from the table is the considerate investigator who offered her water and utmost needed space to regain her rightful mind, just the two of them in this closed room but heard and can be seen by the spectators from the outside which includes the girlfriend Jisoo who tailed them late.     

 

After long minutes of considering Lisa’s mental condition, the investigator tended but still in a watchful tone he starts questioning, “So Lalilsa Manoban, you’re from Thailand, right?”

 

“Y-yeah…” Lisa responded low with head down staring at her lap.

 

“And you’re here just because you wanted to become an independent person, far from your parents who eventually agreed to your decisions, is that correct?” He went on questioning and so Lisa went on nodding in affirmation. Hence, he goes on wary, “I heard you like racing too, according to your girlfriend out there who came to follow and support you…”

 

“Yes, that’s right.” Lisa again simply answered so low she can be barely heard talking.

 

As the investigator somehow managed to loosen Lisa’s tight situation, he then nails to the real situation, “About the accident as per initial investigation, can you recall what happened? We’re very aware it must be hard on you too but your statement, whatever you tell us right now, will be considered as evidence. Whatever you say will be accounted too so I ask you to be careful at the same time.”

 

“Am I… being treated as a suspect?” Lisa asked fearfully.

 

“Well… the investigation is still on-going. We’re still gathering more information not just from you but also to Jennie Kim and her mother once they we’ll be granted for questioning. At this moment, your statement is the most important for us. We need to hear it from both sides.” The investigator answered honest and Lisa’s fear somewhat toned down a little.

 

Lisa clutched her shaking shoulders and starts to reminisce in dread, “B-by the intersection… the car I was driving collided with them. I was on my way to meet my girlfriend. I admit I was so excited to meet her that time that I had to hurry up but I was sure I was on the right speed. But then, while I was driving and nearing the intersection, a kid suddenly crossed the street and ran at the middle while the traffic light was still on green. I was shocked. I was rattled. I was completely frantic. And so I quickly turned the wheels to the other way in panic and I reached the intersection then I stopped right there. It was then that I saw another car from my side, through the passenger’s seat windows coming fast towards me. I just closed my eyes… I didn’t exactly know what happened too. I just felt the strong hit and that my car’s bumper was struck strong. I heard the windows shattering and scratched all over me. I just felt my head hitting against the car windows. I can feel my car moving back because of the collision. And as I opened my eyes during that time, I saw the other car flipping up and down in front of me…”

 

“Take it easy…” The investigator cut because of Lisa’s trembles that are worsening brought by all the memories she’s trying to regain.

 

As Lisa goes on, her tears started falling once again and she continues however, “I thought I’d die in there but I didn’t. I can see the other car wrecked right in front of me. I can see the people trying to get near the wrecked car. And because I can feel I was fine as I can’t feel my wounds in pain, I walked out of my car to check on the other car’s passengers… But… I couldn’t step any closer. I became a coward… Jennie, the girl in the passenger’s seat looked straight into my eyes. She saw me there standing hopeless, looking at straight into her eyes that are crying for help. But I couldn’t do anything… I just stood there in fear… I just watched Jennie covered in blood until she closed her eyes and someone else came to help them out instead. I only snapped out because of the ambulance that came in haste and the nurses shook me. Jennie and I were taken on a same ambulance and we were rushed here. She was half-conscious while we’re on the way. I felt her hand gripping onto my arm… until she totally lost her consciousness… and I became a total blank from thereon…”

 

“How about the driver, did you see her?” The investigator further questioned.

 

Lisa unfortunately wobbles her head low, “I don’t know anything about the driver, her mother… I couldn’t see her well… That’s all I can remember… I’m so sorry…”

 

“I see…” The investigator sighed. “Anyway, thank you so much for cooperating. We’ll be conducting further investigation from the other party soon too. For now, you can go back to your place but please do cooperate once again if in case we summon you for another questioning. Otherwise, if you try to run and hide, you might just end up being treated as a suspect and police might conclude as well that the accident was intentional.” He expounded for Lisa’s rattled mind.

 

To which the obedient Lisa complied with a nod, “I understand.”

 

Lisa was released straightaway, but her mind and her heart are kept behind bars, kept in a cage and she cannot break out just yet as shows in her unstable strides going out far from the interrogation room, gazes that are blank ahead of her and mind that’s locked up in her fuzzy memories of the accident to the point she almost didn’t realize that Jisoo is just there in the far front of her waiting, her girlfriend who found herself wrapping her for a tight embrace of comfort.  

 

Jisoo accommodated her dazed lover in her arms and whispers gently, “It’s done. You’ve told them what you must. Don’t overthink anymore.”

 

“Yeah…” Lisa hissed as she buried her face against Jisoo’s shoulders but her arms refusing to lift up to return the same warmth she’s receiving.

 

“Jennie is already pronounced as stable and she’s expected to regain consciousness anytime tomorrow.” Jisoo said and this got Lisa’s expression brightened up a bit, finally Jisoo seeing this small stretch up in her lips.  

     

“Really?” Lisa exhaled at the tint of relief she felt.

 

Jisoo shares more in a grimace, “But… the driver or should I say her mother… she’s comatose and her survival is in the dark. They said they are unsure if she’ll hang on or not unless they see changes.”

 

The depression in Lisa at once snapped back at the last news. She felt as if the world has fallen upon her and that it’s covered with erupting volcanos and burning her entire body with lava. She can’t feel right and will never feel at ease for this night. Name all the negative feelings and emotions, Lisa have it all for tonight that by just merely standing is too hard for her to do. Lisa has turned this weak woman that she’s becoming a person that Jisoo never knew she can be.

 

“I’m sorry Jisoo but can you leave me alone for tonight?” Lisa asked selfishly.

 

But Jisoo contends in a rant, “How can I leave you alone looking like this? How can I just leave you when you don’t even know yourself right now? I know you’re getting all depressed with this, okay? But let me just stay with you on this!”

 

Lisa detached her girlfriend from her hold and again pleads looking straight into her fuming eyes using her dying ones, “Please Jisoo… I beg you… just for tonight, let me be alone. Don’t worry, I won’t do anything stupid. I just want to go back home alone and think by myself. I don’t want anyone to see me worse than this so can you just let me go this time? I beg you…”

 

The want in Lisa’s eyes are too much for Jisoo to handle. She looks like she really needs it, thus, the soft and helpless Jisoo approved but with hesitancies, “Okay fine. You can go home by yourself then but I’ll flag you a taxi then make sure to send me a message at least once you’ve arrived. I’ll also call Chaeyoung to check on her and I’ll ask her about you. I trust you so I know you won’t do anything foolish to yourself. Just take good care of yourself tonight, did you get me?”

 

“Yeah… I got it. Thank you for and I’m sorry I’m putting you into this kind of situation.” Lisa said and kissed her girlfriend by her forehead as she gives her one last embrace that they both need.

 

“Anything for you Lisa, you know I’ll do it.” Jisoo said and soon her tears she cannot hold back anymore flowed out and let it drip and soak Lisa’s broad shoulders she loves to rest on.

 

On the other hand, Chaerin together with the boys she gathered in the shop at such a late time, she meets all of them for this urgent meeting she felt that’s needed to be done. Everyone is in a deep silence while they watch Bobby’s car almost like a lifeless person far from the garage to their position circled around the table with their drinks that are untouched and foods that have turned cold from spacing out too much.

 

“My baby’s life ended just like that, huh? I don’t have anyone to drive me crazy anymore…” Bobby sighed as he stared at his car totally scrapped and useless as how it looks.

 

“Don’t exaggerate. We can still fix that and modify. Besides, shouldn’t you be worrying about Lisa more? She looked so damn depressed in the hospital as if she’s out of the world and if Jisoo didn’t sent us a message then we wouldn’t have known she went back home already after the interrogation.” Hanbin said strict to keep everyone around them focused on the real problem for this night.

 

Chaerin takes on big gulp of the drink then exclaims, “Imagining Lisa’s current condition just makes me want to be her mother like right now. Poor girl, she just won her first ever race and anticipating more to come but because of what happened, she might be scared to even hold a steering wheel again. I wonder what will happen to her from this point on, also with that family involved in the accident.”

 

“What do you think she’d do now?” The others asked.

 

“Knowing Lisa, she might repent and atone for it until she gets satisfied. You know, she’s that girl who wants to make sure her friends and other people wouldn’t hate her and won’t hold any grudges. Lisa always needs to have people happy around her as much as possible. She even does it to us, when we get mad at her and she’d buy us snacks and free drinks. She might end up thinking the same for this case.” Bobby predicted.

 

And Hanbin wonders, “Will she do the same to that Jennie Kim then? It can be possible too, right? I mean that girl is Chaeyoung’s friend and I guess it wouldn’t be hard for the two to get along and it would be easier for Lisa to approach her anytime she wants to.”

 

“But it wouldn’t be as easy as the usual.” Chaerin said then she also voices her opinion, “What she does for us is just short term atonement. We get mad at her at times for her silly mistakes here at the shop but with just a night full of free drinks from her then we’re all fine like nothing ever happened. This case might be a little difficult since this isn’t just a silly mistake. It’s a serious one she might carry a lifetime. And to be sorry for it, she might take and make a lot of effort for it.”

 

“Geez, Lisa really got herself into a tight situation.” This is all that the others can remark in frustration, not wanting to think deeper for this night and be just drowned by alcohols and have a temporary ease.

 

“Whatever Lisa wants to do, let’s just respect her. It’s her life anyway. Whether she wants to repent on Jennie or not, by the end of the day it’s the two of them who’ll decide on it.” Chaerin lastly sighed.

 

For this night, none of the involved people for the accident can ever search this luxury that the other people are enjoying, Jisoo who cannot find her drowsiness while she lays straight in her bed while her thoughts are running wild thinking for the next days and the possibilities from this day on, the gang who has nothing to do but to forget this night with their drinks, these people will never seek a real comfort unless otherwise, overturned.

 

It was past midnight when Chaeyoung awfully found herself going back home, almost nearing death in exhaustion but not as the same as Lisa whom she ended up meeting by her own block leaning against the closed door, waiting outside in her pajamas she obviously didn’t mind fixing, same goes through with her wet hair she never minded on combing and let it soak her back. Lisa sat there in curl, hugging her knees tight and refused to look up upon Chaeyoung’s arrival.

 

Though shocked briefly at Lisa’s unexpected presence, Chaeyoung still asked worried as she kneeled in front of her to align, “What are you doing out here outside of my block at this hour? You should have gone inside if you need something from me. You have my spare key, right?”  

 

“Not when you’re mad at me…” Lisa muttered under her breath.

 

Chaeyoung, she has seen, heard and suffered more than enough for this day and certainly she wouldn’t add more to it by keeping her selfish grudge against her best friend who needs her at most. So, Chaeyoung quietly joined Lisa in her seat as she squatted beside her then speaks in a hiss, “Jisoo-unnie called me while I was on my way here. She told me you wanted to be alone that’s why I didn’t expect you’ll be out here to wait for me.”

 

“I’m sorry Chaeyoung… I didn’t want this to happen too… I don’t know what to do anymore…” Lisa said and remained immobile in her position.

 

“Of course you didn’t mean it but if you did then you might be in jail right now and I won’t really forgive you.” Chaeyoung snapped but in a split second she recomposed herself as she settles in her soft caring tone, “I’m sorry too that I got mad at you like that in the hospital. I was also muddled you know. I didn’t know what to do too. I was also confused and so bewildered but I realized you might be feeling the worst among all of us. So yeah… I’m sorry too.”

 

Lisa finally looks up and gazes at her best friend close as she questions down, “How’s Jennie? Jisoo told me everything but how does Jennie look like, and her mom too?”

 

“Do you want to come with me tomorrow for a visit so that you can see it yourself? I’m planning to go after my classes and after I tell the whole club about what happened.” Chaeyoung offered and gazed back at Lisa.

 

Lisa scowls, “But… what if she’ll hate me? What if Jennie will curse me to death? I think I’m not that ready to face her yet…”

 

“Jennie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter