Is It All Truly Broken?

Break the Cycle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She sits alone in front of a long dinner table adorned with obviously expensive pieces of candelabras, porcelain plates and silverware. Lights from the equally gigantic chandelier perched on the high ceiling of the dining room, fill the entire room.

 

Everything about the house is so big and extravagant, yet she feels small and trapped like a caged hamster. Everything is just for show, Sana thinks.

 

People think once you have all the money and power, you’ll be happier; but it’s the opposite for Sana. She doesn’t really ask for much, doesn’t think she needs all the fancy things. All she ever wanted was for her parents to be around more.

 

She’s tried asking nicely, being the perfect daughter anyone could ask for; perfect grades, perfect visuals, impressive extra-curriculars, yet none of it seemed enough. She was still always alone in that façade of a home.

 

And with her father gone, she’s just lost a piece of her forever.

 

She regrets sending Momo home earlier.

 

She wishes someone else was there with her in that void.

 

“Hello.”

 

Sana breaks away from her deep thoughts and whips her head up to look for the source of the voice.

 

She sees her new bodyguard walking towards her and decides to ignore her.

 

“My name is Capt. Kim Dahyun. I think it’s time we formally introduce ourselves to each other.” Dahyun stops right beside Sana who’s continuously pushing around the peas on her plate with her fork.

 

Dahyun was met with complete silence.

 

Until Sana shoves the plate towards her and gets up to leave.

 

The latter takes a good look at the plate and sees the words “I don’t care” formed by the peas.

Dahyun chuckles.  “You don’t care but you cared enough to make an effort to spell this.” She knows it’s going to be a long road for her and thinks of another way to approach the heiress.

 

----

 

Dahyun awakens to the sound of her alarm just like every single day at exactly 5 am. Though in an unfamiliar place, she doesn’t stray from her usual schedule.

 

So she grabs her running shoes and throws on her oversized hoodie from yesterday and prepares for her morning run. Carefully, she slips out of her room, glancing at the homeowner’s door before walking down the hallway of her temporary home.

 

Careful not to stain the white marble staircase, she tiptoes as she walks down and sees the chief maid waiting for her at the bottom.

 

“Going out for a run, eh? The madam can only wish her young Sana is fond of that activity but she insists on sleeping to the last minute.” The old lady laughs softly as she shares this information. Dahyun returns it with a smile.

 

“And oh, drop by the kitchens after your run, okay? I’ll whip up some breakfast for you.” It sounded more like a mother’s order than a request so Dahyun decides against saying no, smiles and nods before letting herself out of the front door.

 

She decides that running around the estate’s area would be a good idea to familiarize herself with the new surroundings so she lets herself out of the massive gates too and begins to jog after putting on her earphones and doing a few stretches.

 

Dahyun contemplates about a lot of things during her morning runs. Makes sure she has plans B, C, D and so on for whatever possible scenarios she can think of for the day. She makes a mental note of wearing a suit today to better establish her role as a bodyguard and observe Sana’s schedule, since she can only assume that she won’t give it to her willingly, let alone speak properly to her.

Then she thinks about thanking Aunt Chun for the breakfast she’s about to make for her and calling Nayeon and Jeongyeon to tell them she got there safely.

 

Occupied by her thoughts and by the loud music from her earphones, she doesn’t hear the voice calling her nor notices the incoming arm about to land on her shoulder.

 

Feeling the contact of the arm around her shoulder, she moves on instinct and grab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter