Spotted

The Night Reminds Me Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Weeks passed and the weird communication between Taeyeon and her friend continued. She'd immediately proceed to the rooftop once she arrived home, not giving even her maids a chance to ask her what she wanted to eat for dinner. Although she was still against this whole moving and transferring thing her parents made her go through, she was thankful that the past few weeks have been made at least bearable by Sunny and Sooyoung at school, and by the mysterious person keeping her company at night.

Taeyeon couldn't deny that she was getting more and more curious about the true identity of the person sending her those letters on the rooftop. The way they're interacting sure does seem creepy when Taeyeon thinks about it, but the content of the mystery person's messages... completely erased any trace of doubts she had that the person might have evil plans for her. So one night, she went on and introduced herself out loud. Since then, the mystery person has been including her name next to the consistent "Hello" greeting that was always the first word written on every note or letter.

Taeyeon thought that if the mystery person was bad, he or she could have attacked her right there and then, or could have take her right there and then for ransom, and no one would know. It would be a complete clean getaway. Also, the messages did not contain any form of threat or danger, so she decided to continue, without letting any other person know.

 

-

 

Taeyeon excitedly ran inside immediately after Mister Park stopped the car in front of the house. She was about to do her usual routine of going up in her room, locking her door, sneaking out the window, then going up the rooftop, when the smile on her face was instantly replaced with a frown. She couldn't even get past the first stage when one of the maids, which she recognized as the head maid, was already standing on the last step of the stairs, greeting her frown with a smile.

"Miss Taeyeon, Mrs. Kim called us earlier today. She said you weren't answering her calls so she asked us to tell you to give her a call once you've arrived home."

She suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. She left her dead phone in her room on purpose, knowing that her mother would keep checking on her, which wasn't really what she needed while she was there. As much as possible, she didn't want to hear any of her parents' voices, lecturing her, or giving her assurance on something she hated. 

"Okay, I'll call her later." 

The young girl was about to walk around the head maid when the latter took a step to the side, causing her to stop and look back up. The head maid gestured to her right.

"She also told us that you should use the mansion's phone to call her."

When she turned to look, there was already another maid, holding the phone towards her.

Dammit.

Taeyeon didn't see the point in hiding her sigh, so she let it out, then proceeded to take the mansion's phone from the other maid. The latter bowed and went away to give her privacy. Taking a look at the screen of the phone, she saw that the call was already connected. She slowly held the phone to her ear, while fixing her gaze on the white wall she was facing.

"Hello, mom?"

"Taeyeon, why weren't you answering any of my calls?"

"My phone's dead and I forgot to charge it the night before so I just left it in my room."

"I heard you've been skipping dinner?"

"I'm fine, mom. I just tend to really eat a lot during lunch, and I also eat snacks in the afternoon so I lose my appetite for dinner." lies.

"That's not a proper excuse, Taeyeon. I know you have a tendency to skip breakfast too when you're running late or when you just don't feel like eating at all. Your lifestyle is getting unhealthy, young lady."

Taeyeon bit back the urge to scoff. She clearly doesn't know me well.

"No more skipping dinners, do you hear me?"

There was a pause.

"Do you hear me, Taeyeon?"

"Yes, mom." That was the only answer which will be accepted. It wasn't like she had any other choice.

"Good." 

Taeyeon refused to even let out another word, wanting the agonizing call to end already.

"I saw one of your old friends today." The young girl froze, unconsciously gripping the phone tighter. "She asked about you..."  She closed her eyes and furrowed her brows, suppressing the formation of tears. "I told her you're doing very well and you're happier at the place where you are now."

Taeyeon's free hand balled into a fist, with her nails digging into her palm. When her mother didn't hear a response from her, she heard her sigh.

"We're just trying to help you here, sweetie. If there's anything you want, just tell-"

"Stop." She cut her mom off. "Save it, mom. Really, just... just stop. Take care, bye."

Taeyeon didn't even wait for her mom to respond. She immediately pressed the button ending the call. She didn't want to say hurtful things to her so she ended the call. She didn't want to hear that same question from her mom, only for her answer to be rejected, and only for her not to get it anyway. She tossed the phone on the coffee table, then ran up the stairs. This time, effectively able to follow her routine. She ran up towards her room, locked her door, sneaked out the window, then went up the rooftop.

She knelt and lowered her head, her heart aching from the words her mom just told her. 

"I told her you're doing very well and you're happier at the place where you are now."

Taeyeon found it unfair. She wasn't doing very well. And she definitely wasn't happier at the place where she is right now. She wasn't home. She wasn't with them. She wasn't with...

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter