First Day

The Night Reminds Me Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She gripped the straps of her backpack tightly as she blankly stared at the structure and appearance of the place she was supposed to call school from now on. She took a deep breath, hoping it would calm her nerves down as she walked through the hallways on her very first day on this building. Hearing the laughters of the other students, either in groups or by two's, she couldn't help but feel that she was out of place.

The feeling is very different when you transfer schools on the first year of middle school, high school or college than when you transfer schools in the middle of middle school, high school or college. At least if you transfer during your first year, you'd all adjust together. You'd all start from scratch together. But if you transfer in your second, third, or fourth year? It's hard. By then, people have already adjusted, and they have already found their group of friends, while you, on the other hand, barely know anyone. You'd start from scratch alone. You couldn't just waltz in a group of students and ask them to let you in their circle. It doesn't work that way.

It felt like forever before Taeyeon's first three classes in the morning has ended. She was late in the first couple because she didn't know where those rooms were located. Luckily for the third class, the room was right next to the second class she had so she got there just in time. One thing she hated were the stares and gossips that most students were doing in front of her. They weren't even keeping it lowkey. Taeyeon knew that they probably were just curious of who she was, or were just trying to ask their other friends if she was present in any of their classes. She just silently shrugged, trying not to give a damn.

---

Lunch break has always been a fun and relaxing time for her. It was the time when she would sit with her friends at lunch and talk about whatever gossip they have heard in their respective classes. They almost would never run out of things to talk about because even if all the gossips have already run out, they'd start teasing and making fun of each other instead. She has always been more of a listener, but she always enjoyed watching her friends tease each other and listening to their never-ending stories, from telling stories about their crushes in science class to laughing at their math teacher's new hairdo. One hour was never enough for them. One hour was never enough for her.

However, standing in the middle of the cafeteria holding a tray containing her lunch while remiscing her past lunch cafeteria moments with her friends made Taeyeon feel so lost. And she wanted nothing else but for the whole hour to end already. The other students seemed to have noticed her presence standing in the middle, and knowing that other students were staring and whispering because of her has started to affect her. She didn't know where to sit. How would she know where to sit? Was there even a table in this whole cafeteria who would want a stranger to sit with them?

Taeyeon had a back up plan though. If this whole hour doesn't work for her, she could just walk away from the cafeteria and eat the stick of gum she had brought with her today. That'll have to do. At least she could still look cool instead of looking like a loser who couldn't find any table to sit on during the first day of school's lunch break. Her forehead and palms started to sweat and although the feeling of having dozens of pairs of eyes on her was making her anxious, she decided to get through it. The urge to hang her head low was strong but why would she show weakness in front of all these people? She would just tolerate them and will make her lunch break even worse than it is. She didn't like unnecessary attention, but she knew that if she will continue just standing in the middle of the room, soon, she'll be the topic of the whole cafeteria until the hour was up.

Not here. Be strong.

Just act normal.

She started taking strides, one tile at a time, while sneakily side-eyeing the rows of tables she was currently passing by, trying to look for a vacant table, or perhaps a vacant spot where she could eat her lunch in peace.

One step.

Groups of girls in both tables, both groups sending her eye daggers, clearly sending her the mean girls sign that she can't sit with them. So she won't.

Two more steps.

The group in the right table are sitting on the table itself treating the benchesr as foot rests while throwing bits of food to the group of students in the left table. Troublemakers.

Three more Steps.

A group of guys eyeing her down with obvious lust. Instant skip.

This continued for the next rows of tables but most tables were already fully taken. Panic started to build up inside her when she realized that she's nearing towards the end but she still wasn't able to find somewhere to sit. With her eyes starting to work like a hawk's, she quickly but thoroughly scanned through the remaining rows of tables, looking for a space where she could eat her lunch in peace, and that was when her eyes stopped on a table at the corner of room. Literally the last table. It wasn't full unlike the majority of the other tables. There was only one person occupying it.

She glanced at the cafeteria line and noticed that there were only five people waiting for their lunches to be served. They didn't look like they were with her. And with the girl already halfway through her lunch, it also didn't look like she was waiting for anyone else. The girl's head was bent down and her brown hair was covering the side of her face so she couldn't really see what she looked like. But she was hungry and she didn't want to look for another table so she decided to take her chance. 

"Excuse me." 

Although she couldn't see her face, she knew that the person has stopped chewing. She took it as an indication that she heard her so she continued.

"Is this seat taken?"

The other girl didn't move an inch. She hoped that the girl would at least look up or show her face so she could at least base her answer through her facial expressions, but instead, all she was greeted back by was silence.

"May I sit here?"

A couple of seconds has passe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter