Play

Romance in the Church (Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The tea in front of Youngjae was getting cold, not because his interest in the subject at hand hasn’t allowed him to break away for a sip but for the simple fact that he dislikes tea. Youngjae and Jangjun have found a secluded corner in the back of a small cafe to engage in conversation. The older listened on, at times his gaze would fall over the half-filled cup of tea, and momentarily he’ll be reminded of its bitter first taste.

Meanwhile, across from him, Jangjun set his cup down, “So, what do you want to know? Profiles, past and current activities, gang history? Name them, I have everything memorized up here,” the younger gestured toward the side of his head.

Briefly, Youngjae wondered what Himchan, Daehyun, or Junhong would ask if they were in his shoes. Himchan would ask about their capabilities and connections. Daehyun would make some alienated remark rather than questioning since he thinks he knows it all. Junhong would repeat what he has already asked.

“How does each meeting work?”

Jangjun blinked, “Like time-wise?”

“Time-wise, traded goods, the number of people that normally comes,” Youngjae listed with his fingers, “will their leader be present?”

“Definitely. Seven of them seems to be committed followers of their leader. So more often than not, you’ll only see eight of them together. But during gatherings, they tripled. More goons are brought in just to intimidate us. I did some digging and found that most of them are recruited only for collect days. Otherwise, they live average lives,”

“And how much money do they demand?”

Jangjun broke the ice between them as he thought about it, “Hm…, about 850 yens,”

Youngjae wasn’t sure why he asked. He had no idea how the currency there works. “If the leader and Shinhye grew up together, that means you know him too right?”

“How did you know that?”

“Your sister told me,” Youngjae answered directly.

Jangjun rolled his eyes, “The only flaw my sister has is that she fell for someone like that,”

“You’re saying her homing strangers and putting them to work against their will is not a flaw?”

The younger’s expression darkened, “Don’t get my sister wrong. She sacrificed all of her hopes and dreams to succeed our father’s shelter church. If you’ve put up with those goons for as long as my sister has, you’ll be just like her,” there was a pause before Jangjun whispered, “they’ve made her stiff.” Judging by Jangjun’s down and longing mien, Youngjae could tell Shinhye must have changed a lot because of her position. She may not be Youngjae’s favorite person, but she may be Jangjun’s whole world. “Can I ask you something, Youngjae?”

Youngjae waited patiently for the youth to proceed.

“Have you ever raised someone before? Someone you have to provide for such as food, clothes, home, protection, and love?” though they were questions for Youngjae, Jangjun instantly added in a rhetorical one, “If Shinhye is our provider, who is providing for Shinhye?”

It felt forever when Youngjae finally saw Shinhye again. She was caught up with paperwork in her office when Himcha sent him to fetch her down for lunch; it was his task for when he returned. He studied the top of her head as she was busy marking and crossing things out. “I heard you. I will be down shortly,” Shinhye said.

It was clearly Youngjae’s cue to leave, but the lad decided to take a seat across from the lass. “An idea occurred to me recently and I thought I could share it,”

This made Shinhye stop as she glanced up, “What idea?”

Youngjae heaved a sigh, “Put me in charge when Nonfinite comes,”

Shinhye was without an expression for a moment before she chuckled, “You’re a funny man, Youngjae,”

“I’m being serious,”

Instantly, Shinhye lost the smile as she set her feathered pen down. She leaned back in her chair a little before asking, “For what ridiculous reasons? You’ve been here less than a day, what made you think you could do it? Or that I would let you?”

“Well, for starters, I don’t have feelings for their boss,” Youngjae thought he saw Shinhye perk up a brow, “second this wouldn’t be my first time meeting them. Third, making deals with the bad guys is my specialty,”

He could tell that Shinhye was amused, though he can’t foretell whether she has agreed to his idea or not. The lass folded her arms over her chest as she shook her head, “You should have spoken earlier.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter