Taught

Romance in the Church (Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The corner of his mouth curved up in unsettlement. He stopped right before an old doormat that welcomes him to the back door of a Church. Youngjae has always had a deep aversion toward Churches; coming from a religious family himself. From personal experiences, Youngjae has seen many that house scammers.

Standing and looking back toward him, the woman wore a blank expression. “What are you doing? Come in,”

Youngjae blew out a puff of hot air before he pocketed his hands, “Why did you bring me here?” He paused as he took a step forward and leaned a hand against the threshold, he the bottom of his lips before he sighed, “Look, lady, I’m leaving. Report me to the authorities if you want. I’ll be in town,” before he could break away, she interrupted him.

“Stop right there,” she strode over to him and stopped just inches from him, “do you know the man you stole from?”

The male raised a brow. He has never given it a thought in the past or in the moment. Why does it matter who the man was? “Who is he?” Youngjae asked, only to entertain her.

The lass folded her arms over her chest as she spoke clearly, “Mr. Gu. A single father of three girls. His first eloped into one of the neighboring towns. He hasn’t heard from her in a long time and kept the business open in hope of seeing her again. His middle child was involved in a hit-and-run incident two years ago. Her legs no longer function and she’s bedridden. His youngest can’t attend school because she has to care for her sister. The bread you stole cost two silver units,” the woman held up two fingers, “that’s dinner you stole from a family of three,”

Youngjae sniffed loudly before he exhaled a careless sigh, “Save the sob story. You’re over-exaggerating. I’ve never seen a starving man as big as him,”

Youngjae smirked when he had the pleasure of watching her roll her eyes. “Oh, really?” she asked sarcastically, “so it makes it right for you to steal?” The lad cracked a harmless smile.

“What about you? You saw someone steal and you’re not going to report it?” He detached his hand from the doorway and slipped his thumb into his pocket, “Like I said to report it or not, it’s up to you. I’ll appreciate it if you do call the cops over though. I could really use a place to stay in the meantime,”

The woman tilted her head slightly to one side, “I believe in teaching rather than telling. If you’re not taught that stealing is wrong, how will you know it’s not a small matter? Having a stranger scold you won’t be as effective as you learning from it yourself. Mr. Gu saw you walked out with the bread so I paid for your share. He thinks you’re with me,” there was a pause as she brushed her long, wavy black hair back, “I won’t report you if you’re willing to come with me. My father raised me to help those who are in need of help and are misguided. I believe you need guidance,”

Youngjae jumbled the choices he has. Either he returns to the streets of the unknown or relied on her for the time being. He locked gazes with her and realized how mesmerizing her eyes were. She was definitely Jongup or Yongguk’s type, he thought. He squinted his eyes a little as he made a comment, “You’re going to guide me? By the looks of it, I’m older than you,” he thought he saw a dimple but she brushed it off with a clear of .

“We’ll address that after you answer me this. Will you accept my help or not?”

Outside of his team, Youngjae has never asked or needed any assistance from another person. He supposed it wouldn’t hurt to look around. Afterall, he should start somewhere if he wants to return to his time. “First tell me, what year is it?”

“1930,” she answered in a heartbeat then furrowed her brows, “how did you do that?”

Youngjae blinked, “Do what..?”

In an offensive tone, she said, “You got an answer out of me although I asked a question first,” the lass cut herself off by adding, “you’ve been doing it ever since we met,” her eyes gaped with realization.

For the first time a genuine smile was plastered across Youngjae’s face, “Whether this be a Church or my folks' home, I’m definitely staying,”

The woman wore a blank face. It was evident that she didn’t understand the meaning behind his words, yet she returned a smile—a memorable one too.

It was annoying but Youngjae did it. He was inside of a Church after what seemed like forever. Following close behind, Youngjae tried to keep up as she gives him a tour, “This is a shelter home too but you shouldn’t look down on it. Many others, inc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter