Chapter 8

A Star In Daylight

The harsh light of the sun shone brightly in Baekhyun's face. He slowly sat up in his bed letting the covers fall off him, he looked around a realized to his dismay that he still wasn't at home. He casts his eyes lazily across the room coming to a stop near the foot of the bed where a bundle of clothes lay folded with white piece of paper resting on top.

He pushes himself up and leans over to collect the clothes, he brings them close and examines them. There was a grey and navy striped plaid dress pants that looked more like pajama bottoms, a deep navy blue almost black collared shirt and a black tie. Baekhyun picks up the piece of paper to see that there was something written on it,

get dressed in these, it's your uniform ~ mom

 What? Uniform? He's going to school? No one mentioned this to him, Baekhyun stared at the words with his mouth open in shock. What has his dad gotten him into? At his old school even though it was a private school there were no uniform rules, they were free to wear whatever and it's shocking that in a hill billy place such as Pyeongchul that they would have any. Baekhyun scoots out of bed and noticed that there were black dress shoes lying neatly to the side. 

Baekhyun couldn't believe it, he thought he was just here to take in the nature, get his act together and then leave but that proves to not be the case. He made a mental note to give his dad a call later and voice his problems with everything. 

Baekhyun sighs as he looks back at the hideous outfit, why grey? It wasn't his colour at all.

-------------

Baekhyun examined himself in the mirror only to make a face at how he looked. If you were to ask him Baekhyun would easily say that yes, he was handsome, he was aware of that because people at school male or female would ask him out and tell him as such. But right now staring at his reflection even he had to admit that he wasn't looking his best but he blamed it on the uniform alone. His black hair was straight, he had opted not to slick it back, he was wearing his gold, thin round rimmed glasses mostly just as an accessory and he had put on a little bit of lip balm so his lips wouldn't be dry and cracked.

"well, at least from the neck up you look good" he mumbled to himself before turning and heading downstairs. 

Baekhyun smelled the pancakes before he even got to the kitchen, his stomach was pleased with the scent as it started growling. He walked in to see his mother by the stove flipping the pancakes over in the pan, a bowl of mix sat near her on the counter,

"morning" Baekhyun said hesitantly

He hasn't talked to his mother since that night in his room, he hasn't had the courage to talk to her in fear that he might say more unbearable things or that she was mad at him for making it seem like she was some woman who just wanted some good . 

"morning" she turned to him and smiled and he felt a reassured that she wasn't upset with him.

"how much pancakes would you like? I'm making lots because Jeongsuk likes a stack of them" she continues.

"two is fine" he replies not missing the way her smile grew as she mentioned Jeongsuk's name. 

Speaking of which, Baekhyun realised that he was nowhere to be seen, was out in the back? 

"Jeongsuk went into town, the car needed a proper tune up" his mom says coming over with a plate occupied by two pancakes dressed with sweet syrup. 

Baekhyun's stomach growls at the image before him and he hears his mom chuckle,

"eat up" she says coming around with a cup of what looks to be coffee, pulling out a chair to sit at the table with Baekhyun. 

They sat in awkward silence for a while, Baekhyun focusing on the deliciousness of his pancakes and trying not to pay attention to the fact that his mother was staring at him. 

"that night" Baekhyun's fork stops short of his mouth hearing his mother's voice break the silence, he looks up at her and found her staring into her cup. 

"the night I left" she continued, Baekhyun swallowed what he had in his mouth feeling his heart speed up, he didn't know what she wanted to say but he felt conflicted on wanting to hear it. "it wasn't because I wanted to but because your dad kicked me out" she says. 

Baekhyun was just looking at his mother, she was tracing her finger on the side of the cup absentmindedly still staring into it. 

"you see, you were young and you wouldn't have understood and even now I don't believe you'll understand" she continues "I woke up every morning taking in my surroundings and somehow I just didn't feel happy" she takes a sip of the coffee and Baekhyun has all but forgotten his plate of pancakes that sat in front of him. 

"I would look at your father and unlike before I wouldn't get this uncontrolled smile on my face or feel a warmth in my chest but I still loved him" she says.

She was right, Baekhyun didn't understand, not any word she was telling him.

"then one night I went out, I snuck out of the house like some criminal and went to a club. That's where I met Jeongsuk, he was visiting Seoul for the month back then, we got to talking and all of sudden I started smiling unexpectedly at things he did or said, and started feeling butterflies in my stomach whenever he was near me" she confessed now looking at Baekhyun with the same guilty eyes as that night.

A small fire grew in the pit of his stomach, something made up of anger, sadness and denial. 

"what are you saying?" Baekhyun looked at her incredulously, why was she telling him this? And at this time?

"what I'm saying is, I fell in love with another man while married to your father" 

Baekhyun didn't know what to say, all he knew was that his chest was squeezing and his heart was increasing it's pace, the fire was growing little by little,

"but how?" he says looking at his mother "what about dad?" Baekhyun didn't realise it but he was standing up now, hands spread on the table 

"your dad caught us together one night when I boldly and drunkily brought him home, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal, that we wouldn't get caught because your father had told me he would be at work longer" Baekhyun saw her eyes get watery

Was she crying? What right does she have to cry!? Telling me this, how she fell in love even when married how she boldly had in our home with another man. Baekhyun could feel the fire grow through his torso crawling up towards his chest,

"what about me!?" Baekhyun shouted smacking his palm to his chest "did you even think about me!?" 

He couldn't believe what his mother was telling him, he didn't want to believe it, she was lying to him right?

"Baekhyun..." she trails looking at him with tears in her eyes the guilty expression never leaving them,

Her lack of response was scaring Baekhyun, he was her only child she had to have loved him and thought of him right?

"Baekhyun.." she said getting up from her chair and coming over to where he was now slumped in his seat. 

She took one of his hands in hers "I was right when I said you wouldn't understand. Love is a very complicated emotion, you never know when it'll hit you or even play with your mind" she looks into his eyes but he looked away not wanting to see those same soft brown eyes as his holding so much guilt.

"your dad had kicked me out that night, told me to leave. I can never forget his face of betrayal and anger" she said

Baekhyun removed his hand from hers,

"you weren't even thinking of me" he said now looking at her "you were just thinking of yourself" 

"I know, and I'm so sorry" she says trying to get his hand back but he stood up full anger taking over. 

"Baekhyun-" she starts but he cuts her off. 

"do you know how many nights I cried for you?!" he shouted "do you know how many nights I wondered why you just up and left?!" 

"Baekhyun please" she reaches out for him but he side steps her

"you don't have the right to cry! You don't even have the right to be sad" he yelled at her feeling like he was not in control of his own words. "do you even love me!?" 

"Baekhyun, of course I love you, not one moment after that night did I not think of you" she says

He shook his head, "you liar" he looked at her his face a mix of anger and hurt.

"I'm back! Is Baekhyun ready to go?" they both turn as Jeongsuk enters the kitchen. 

He must of felt the tension in the kitchen because he walks over worried, he goes over to his mom and wraps an arm around her but she was looking at Baekhyun,

"what's wrong? Did something happen?" Jeongsuk asked looking between his wife's tear stained face and Baekhyun who was red in the face. 

Baekhyun looked back at his mother who was now pleading with her eyes but he just turns around,

"no nothing" he says before walking out of the kitchen and out the house.

Sooyoung stared after her son feeling heavy and sad, she then casted her eyes towards her stomach, how was she going to tell him that he's going to be a big brother?