Thank You

Rock, Paper & Scissors

Tiffany found her heart fluttering all throughout their visit to the doctor. Taeyeon leaning on her for support, Taeyeon looking at her with those puppy eyes, Taeyeon sniffing like a kid who was holding back tears. She chided herself for being so easy with forgiveness, but another part of her defended it. After all, Taeyeon had apologized. It wouldn’t be good of her to bear a grudge against someone remorseful. And she did slam the door on Taeyeon’s foot.

She still couldn’t believe she actually did that. Never had she ever retaliated in such a way and it surprised her even more than it did to Taeyeon. All her life, she had always held back, walked away and tried to forget about unpleasant interactions she faced. Like how she failed to report the bullies when she was bullied in school. And how she merely pretended not to hear the names other school mates hurled at her instead of standing up against them. It had always been an ‘impossible to change the situation’ kind of mentality for her.

Yet this time, she had actually slammed the door on Taeyeon’s foot. She had inflicted a real physical injury on someone who called her names. Retaliation. She had finally done it. But strangely, it was done on someone she fancied and admired.

After collecting the medical supplies and paying the bill, Tiffany helped Taeyeon out of the clinic, feeling relieved. Thankfully, the injury wasn’t too severe, despite Taeyeon’s tearful reaction and the alarming bruising and swelling of her foot. The doctor had advised Taeyeon against putting too much weight on it for a while but fortunately, no bones were broken or fractured. She would have been completely overloaded with guilt if that were the case.

As it was, she felt bad enough with Taeyeon hobbling beside her. Slamming the door on Taeyeon’s foot was too much. Taeyeon didn’t deserve it. Not entirely. She could have given Taeyeon a verbal lashing instead of this. She had gone too far. But she was secretly glad she did it too.

How complicated.

“I’ll send you home,” said Tiffany, her eyes on Taeyeon’s bandaged foot.

“Thank you.”

A curious itch crawled up Tiffany’s spine. “Did you just say thank you?”

Taeyeon cleared . “Yes.”

Nothing about Taeyeon’s appearance had changed yet she looked different in Tiffany’s eyes. It was the singer’s aura. Something had changed. So with a smile, Tiffany returned the courtesy. “You’re welcome, Taeyeon.”

The walk to Tiffany’s car was slow and long, but not arduous. Tiffany found herself enjoying Taeyeon’s reliance on her and she was happy to lend the singer her support. Once Taeyeon was loaded onto the passenger seat, Tiffany took her seat on the other side and grinned. “Let’s go.”

Silence was the main occupant of the drive back to Taeyeon’s apartment. She was focused on the road while Taeyeon looked out the window so neither of them spoke. Until she parked her car.

“I still want to explain,” said Taeyeon suddenly.\

Feeling she owed Taeyeon that much, Tiffany nodded. “I’m listening.” She waited as the singer shifted in the seat so they could face each other.

With their gazes locked, Taeyeon began. “I really didn’t mean ‘mana’ in a bad way. You have to believe me. Yes, I didn’t like you at first, so ‘mana’ did mean ‘’. But it’s not the same now. I don’t hate you anymore. I just call you that ‘cos I’m used to it. It’s like a nickname, you know? I don’t mean it at all. Not anymore.”

“Really? You’re not saying this just ‘cos I got upset?”

“I’m not. Come on, just think. Would I go to movies and baseball games with you if I didn’t like you? And why would I show you my sketches if I hate you?”

Tiffany shrugged. “Maybe you wanted to lure me into falling for you. Then once I’m in, you get to dump me and laugh at me.”

“That’s ing cruel. I would never do that.”

Tiffany stayed silent. How could I have known for sure that you wouldn’t?

“No way,” Taeyeon gasped. “Did someone do that to you before?”

“Maybe?”

“It was someone in school, wasn’t it? Some ing .”

Tiffany didn’t feel like talking about it. “Well, I believe you didn’t mean it and I accept your apology. So if you accept my apology too, we’re even.”

Stretching a hand out, Taeyeon grinned. “We’re even.”

Tiffany found her smile again as she took Taeyeon’s hand and shook it. “Deal.”

o|v

Taeyeon’s heart was lighter than it ever had been in the past couple of days as she leaned on Tiffany for support. She was beyond happy that their misunderstanding and resulting fight had been resolved. Even if she had to sacrifice her foot for it. Her foot would recover soon enough. And in the meantime, she could lean on Tiffany for support. Wonderful.

They reached her apartment way too soon. And outside her door they stood, staring without saying a word until she tried to take her folio from Tiffany.

“I’ll bring it in for you,” said Tiffany.

Seeing the opportunity she had just been presented, Taeyeon grinned and nodded, welcoming Tiffany into her apartment and bedroom for the second time. Tiffany put her folio down where she pointed and gave her a goodbye smile.

Don’t be an idiot. Get her to stay.

“There’s still time,” she blurted when Tiffany took a step towards the door to leave.

“Time for?”

“A sketch.”

“But I need to look for a replacement singer for the band.”

Taeyeon shook her head. “I don’t need to be replaced.”

“How are you going to sing with your foot in a bandage?”

“Why can’t I sing with my foot in a bandage? I don’t sing with my foot, you know.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “I know you don’t sing with your foot. But how are you going to get up and down the stage and stand and—”

“You’re the manager. You can assign someone to help me up and down the stage. And I can sit on a stool to sing. I don’t have to stand.”

“You’re singing in a rock band.”

“So get me a rocking chair and I’ll rock the stage with my bandaged foot.”

“Are you serious?”

“Very.”

“Okay. Fine. I’ll do as you suggest.”

“Great. So. Sketch?”

“Right now?”

“There’s no better time than the present.”

“If you say so.”

o|v

Why am I torturing myself? Why am I punishing myself?

With a bandaged foot, Taeyeon felt clumsy and not at all like the cool rock singer she usually was. Yet there lay Tiffany, lounging on her bed like a Vogue magazine model, looking just so fine.

“Are you going to start?”

What’s the hurry? Taeyeon nodded. “I’m starting now.”

After marking out the proportions, Taeyeon got started on the outline. With all of her focus on the shape of Tiffany’s body, the fluid lines and curves, she completed the first stage with ease, but not without a slight quickening of her heart rate.

Next up, Tiffany’s clothes. Jeans and a tank top. Ordinary but extraordinarily y. Tiffany in jeans was definitely one of her favourite sketches. Back in the café, she had always been more excited to draw when Tiffany appeared in jeans. There was nothing like the lines of well-filled jeans to stimulate her senses. And the curve of cleavage. Fabulous.

Focus. Focus. Focus.

Details. Lines and curves. Light and shadows.

Taeyeon laboured over each line and curve faithfully. Filled in the shading. When it was finally done, she looked up and discovered her model had fallen asleep.

“Tiffany?” she whispered. The sleeping beauty did not stir so Taeyeon pushed herself up and hobbled to three steps to her bed. “Tiffany,” she said again and shook Tiffany’s shoulder gently.

“Mmm?”

“Wake up. You fell asleep.”

“Oh,” Tiffany yawned and stretched. “I’m stiff.”

Taeyeon blinked when Tiffany’s eyes stared into hers. Chocolate brown eyes. Deep and soulful and meaningful. It was magical.

Then, it was magnetic.

An invisible pull.

Irresistible.

Lips.

Taeyeon’s eyes closed naturally as her head tilted. Gradually, her lips met the soft lips that her cheeks had the fortune of meeting first. Wow. After the initial touch, Taeyeon leaned in and asked for more. Her lips parted and closed over one soft lip, as the other pair closed over hers.

It was perfect.

o|v