Better Half

Rock, Paper & Scissors

“I can’t believe you’re a fat Bear fan,” said Taeyeon, cringing at the name on Tiffany’s baseball jersey. To make things worse, the name was in pink.

“I’m not complaining about you and your disgusting Twins jersey.”

“Shut up and get your beer, fat .”

 Tiffany glared at Taeyeon. “I’m going right now, twerp.”

“Twerp? Did you just call me a twerp?”

Tiffany grinned. “Twerp isn’t the worst name on the list. I’m reserving those for when the Twins are mauled by the Bears.”

Taeyeon flipped the bird at Tiffany but the mana-Bear- merely laughed as she left to get the beer. While waiting for Tiffany to get back, Taeyeon occupied herself by sending Ginna pictures of the stadium. She was just putting her phone away when Tiffany returned with a bottle of beer and a large box of fried chicken, just in time before the game started.

The game was fun like every other baseball game. The cheerleaders cheered and the crowd was high on excitement. It was always entertaining and exciting, even more so when rival teams clashed. But half the time, Taeyeon was watching—and growing mildly disturbed—the way Tiffany devoured her bottle of beer and box of fried chicken. The woman drank and ate like she hadn’t seen food or water in days and that was entertaining to her, for some weird reason.

“You want some?” asked Tiffany, offering her box of fried chicken.

Taeyeon shifted her eyes back to the game. “No, thanks.”

“Are you sure?”

“I don’t want oily fingers.”

“You can wipe them clean, you know. I have wipes in my bag.”

“No.”

“Ah . . .”

Taeyeon blinked as Tiffany tried to feed her a potato wedge. Moving out of the way, Taeyeon waved her off.

“You’re making me look like a pig, leaving me to eat all this by myself,” said Tiffany as she persisted in feeding Taeyeon the potato wedge.

I’m the one making you look like a pig? You’re the one eating like a pig!

“Come on, have one.”

The elderly couple beside them was beginning to throw them odd looks so Taeyeon relented and opened . The potato wedge was fed and Tiffany finally stopped bugging her. With blood rising to her cheeks, Taeyeon chewed and swallowed. Hopefully that would be the end of her embarrassment.

o|v

“Yes! Go Bears!” Tiffany cheered when the Bears pulled ahead in points after another base runner touched the home plate.

Taeyeon could only sulk. The Twins had some catching up to do.

During the fifth inning stretch, Taeyeon cheered along with the crowd while a beer drinking competition got underway. The contestants were chugging the beer as quickly as they could to win a case of beer and Tiffany was really rooting for them, yelling with her arms and a lot of heart. Privately, Taeyeon thought Tiffany stood a good chance to win if she were one of them.

The kiss cam segment was next and Taeyeon shook her head at the way Tiffany grinned and giggled whenever the couples kissed.

“Have you never seen people kissing before?” she asked at last, when Tiffany squealed and covered her eyes during a more passionate kiss. “Don’t tell me you’re like this in the cinema too.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Good. ‘Cos if you do that in the cinema, I’m so gonna throw my popcorn at you.”

“Don’t you think it’s sweet?”

“The kiss cam?”

Tiffany nodded.

“No. I think it’s stupid and pointless.”

“You wouldn’t think the same if you were caught on kiss cam with someone you love very much.”

“What makes you think I haven’t?”

Tiffany’s eyes widened in surprise. “You have?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “Nope.”

“Taeyeon, you’re really irritating sometimes.”

The rock singer smirked and shrugged.

In response, Tiffany huffed and folded her arms but said nothing more—for about one minute. Then, it was chatty, cheery Tiffany all over again. Keeping up with Tiffany was exhausting.

o|v

At the end of the game, Taeyeon walked out of the stadium with Tiffany squashed up beside her. She was aware of how aware she had been of Tiffany’s proximity throughout the game and she was not comfortable about that. Tiffany wasn’t her type. She wasn’t Tiffany’s type. Coming to this baseball game together was a bad idea.

When they finally made it out of the stadium, Taeyeon heaved a sigh of relief. She turned to Tiffany and was about to say a quick goodbye when she was treated to an eye-disappearing-crescent-moon smile.

“Thanks, Taeyeon. It was fun.”

Taeyeon’s eyes bulged a little. “It was fun? With me?”

Tiffany’s smile kept its radiance. “Yes, it was.”

“It doesn’t take much to make you happy, huh.”

With a tilted head, Tiffany looked at Taeyeon and replied, “Why should happiness take a lot to be?”

Taeyeon stared back at Tiffany, dumbfounded. Was Tiffany for real? “I guess it shouldn’t. So you’re happy all the time, eh?”

“No, but I’m happy whenever I can be.”

“Good for you.”

Tiffany smiled. “Where are you heading to next?”

“I’m going straight to Yuri’s.”

“Can I come along?”

“Don’t you have a car?”

“I got a ride from my brother. My car’s in the garage today.”

Taeyeon put on a look of disapproval. “You’re not getting into my car with your stinkin’ Bears jersey.”

Tiffany grinned. “Count your twerp-self lucky a winning team jersey is gracing the interior of your car. When was the last time the Twins won the league?”

“Imma toss you into the boot and drive over the bumpiest route to the bar if you insult the Twins again.”

“I’m sorry . . .” Tiffany pouted and put on her puppy-begging-for-food face. “Please let me hitch a ride with you . . .”

That expression made Taeyeon cringe so hard it actually hurt. “If you want a ride from me, don’t ever, ever, do that again.”

o|v

“Thanks, Taeyeon.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“I’ll see ya later,” said Tiffany with a bright smile as she turned towards the offices in the bar.

“See ya,” Taeyeon replied and walked in the other direction towards the band’s booth.

“Woo hoo! How was your baseball date with the manager?” Sooyoung teased as soon as she entered the band’s booth.

“How did you know about it?”

“Jieun told us.”

“Why are all my friends big mouths?”

“Who else are you referring to?” Sooyoung asked with big round eyes.

Taeyeon glared at her tall friend, sending the message across with her eyes.

“Me?”

“You’re the one who told Jieun about Tiffany and me and that’s why Jieun asked Tiffany to eat with us and that’s how Tiffany ended up going to the game with me. It’s all your fault.”

“My fault?” Sooyoung touched her chest with an affronted expression. “On the contrary, I think it’s to my credit you got to have a baseball date with our fabulous manager.”

“You’re crazy.”

“It’s just like you to say the polar opposite of what you’re really thinking.”

“How do you know what I’m thinking?”

“I know you.”

“You don’t know everything.”

“We know you,” said Hyo from behind. “There’s no way you don’t find Tiffany the least bit attractive.”

“You know, the two of you would make quite a pair,” Seo added. “She would be your better half.”

Sooyoung and Hyo burst out laughing while Taeyeon stewed and sulked. “Not—gonna—happen.”

o|v