Chapter 5

The Bet

Monday morning...the start of another week at K-Star academy...the 4th week of the school year and the 2nd week since Jeonghan had accepted the challenge of making Choi Seungcheol fall in love with him. So far Jeonghan had no luck with his mission and if possible, he thinks he may have pushed himself even further away from the other, from barely friends to barely being able to stand each other. It wasn't Jeonghan's intention for them to be so annoyed with each other, technically it was the exact opposite of what he was trying to achieve, but with Choi Seungcheol it was almost impossible not to get pissed off and angry. He was just so infuriating with his indifference to everything and his closed off personality. How was anyone supposed to warm up to the other?

But then Jeonghan stopped for a second and realized that there were a few people in the school that Seungcheol didn't seem like he hated...more specifically the wrestling team. Everyone knew the Choi Seungcheol didn't have any friends, but the wrestling team would be the closest thing that he had to them...meaning they were Jeonghan's way in. Even though it annoyed Jeonghan that he'd have to go through such measures just to get the guy to stop being annoyed with his very presence, he wasn't a quitter and he certainly was not about to lose his end of the bet and potentially have Sehun lose all interest in him. As far as Jeonghan was concerned, he had too much at stake here and he was willing to try just about anything to at least get Seungcheol to acknowledge him without the attitude thrown at him.

So when Jeonghan made it to his homeroom class, he was pleased to find a certain Jeon Jungkook sitting in the back of the class alone, reading a book and minding his own business like the sophomore usually did in the class full of juniors. Jeonghan walked by his usual desk, leaving a very confused Joshua staring at him as he passed by, and then he put his bag down in Seungcheol's usual seat and waited for the sophomore to react.

3....2....1

"Oh hyung! What are you doing here?" Jungkook asked, quick to bow in respect towards his elder.

Cute. Jeonghan thought.

"Hi Kookie! I can call you that right?" Jeonghan asked, knowing that the younger was a little flustered by his presence when all the poor boy could to was nod his head dumbly. "Great! Listen, I was wondering if you could help me out."

"With what?" Jungkook asked, a little confused at the sudden request.

"Well, I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about Seungcheol."

"What? But why?" Jungkook asked, getting a little suspicious.

Crap...think Jeonghan, think. Jungkook is a smart little . "Oh...well...this is a little embarrassing but I um....I uh....have a crush on Seungcheol! Yup! A crush and I uh...I was wondering if you could help a guy out...you know, so that I can get closer to him and stuff." 

"...Oh! That makes sense!" 

"It does! So can you tell me anything about him, so that I can get him to notice me."

"Sorry, I can't really tell you much. I mean outside of the wrestling team, I don't really know much about him."

"What? But you guys always sit together and you're on the team together. How can you not know anything about him?"

"We're just not that close. Seungcheol likes to keep to himself and he's super reserved. Plus he's got a lot of responsibilities outside of school that keep him busy so he doesn't have much time for a social life. I mean me and the other guys from wrestling always invite him to stuff but he can never come. My friend Taehyung even offered to treat him out to a meal a couple of times but Seungcheol always declines. He always says that he's got stuff to do."

"Really? What kind of responsibilities could he have?" Jeonghan asked, genuinely curious because he never thought Seungcheol even knew what responsibility meant.

"I'm not really sure. I know he has a job right after school but that's about all I can tell you. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you."

"No that's fine. You've been really helpful actually."

"Well I'm glad...and I hope everything works out between the two of you."

"About that...could you keep that a secret. I kinda don't want anyone to know about it until I make a move on him."

"Sure!"

"Great! Well, I'll see you around Kookie!" Jeonghan said, and just as he was about to return to his original seat, he bumped into a hard chest. Jeonghan was ready to apologize for not looking where he was going when he looked up and came face to face with Choi Seungcheol.

"What were you doing in my seat?" Seungcheol asked in a cold tone.

"Chill, I was just talking to my dear friend Jungkookie." Jeonghan replied cheekily.

"I didn't know you guys were friends...In fact I've never seen you talk to him once." Seungcheol said, narrowing his eyes, suspicious of what Jeonghan was doing in his seat.

"Well we just became friends today. Hey, now that we have a mutual friend, why don't we become friends?" Jeonghan suggested and Seungcheol just scoffed. "No? Fine. Your loss. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to get back to my seat."

And when Jeonghan made it back to his seat, he was met with Joshua's questioning eyes.

"What?" Jeonghan asked first, not liking the look he was receiving.

"What's with you man? Last week you kept bothering Seungcheol and now you're talking to the only guy in class that actually speaks to him."

"So? I don't really see a problem with that."

"It is when you used to be the number one advocate for let's-stay-away-from-Choi-Seungcheol. Why the sudden interest?"

"I don't know...he's interesting." Jeonghan replied and he hoped that that would be the last of Joshua's interrogation. His best friend could always see right through him and if he wasn't careful then he could risk violating terms of the bet. "Hey, do any of you guys have jobs?" Jeonghan asked, changing the subject slightly.

The question caused Jun, Wonwoo and Joshua to look at him like he had grown a second head. "No....and you know that." Joshua replied.

"Yeah, we're just like every other person that goes to this school. Living off of our parents until we make it big for ourselves. It's common knowledge that if you go to this school then it means that you're loaded so there's no reason to get a job...unless you were super bored or something." Jun replied "Or if you're Woozi and you've already got your foot in the door for your future career."

"That's just because Woozi's dad is a producer and he let's him use his studio to make songs. He says it's good practice for when Woozi eventually takes over things." Wonwoo replied. "If it wasn't for that reason, I don't even think he'd be working yet."

"I see." Was all Jeonghan could say before Mr. Kim came in and started his lecture. Jeonghan went the rest of his day asking his friends and other people he knew the same question. And they all said that they didn't need to work and if they did then it was jobs that they really didn't need and that they could quit whenever they wanted. None of them made it seem like it was a huge responsibility in their life and that only made Jeonghan all the more curious about Seungcheol. What was his job and why was it so important? Is that why he's always rushing out of their calculus class (yes, Jeonghan had noticed that too). 

Those questions bothered Jeonghan all day. And if Seungcheol has an after school job that he always rushes to, then what about all of those stories about Seungcheol being involved in gang related activities after school and that one rumor about him selling drugs behind one of the school buildings....were they all lies? Jeonghan knew how nasty rumors could be in their school but these stories have been spreading around since Jeonghan was a freshman...if they weren't true then why has Seungcheol never tried to stop them from spreading? Surely they must have caused the other some trouble throughout his time spent at the school.

Jeonghan made sure to make a mental note to ask Sehun about it when he saw the other as he went on with the rest of his day, finishing his last class and walking home with his friends and spending the rest of his day with his family, lounging about and painfully aware of how easy he had it as a teenager from an upper class family.

 

 

It was Wednesday when Jeonghan finally made a break through with Seungcheol. It was a small gesture and anyone else wouldn't have thought much of it, but for Jeonghan it was huge. He and Seungcheol actually sat down together to work on something without the bitterness or the attitude. It was nice and Jeonghan actually saw a smile break through on Seungcheol's normally emotionless face. It was in their Physics class and they were supposed to work on an in-class assignment that was extremely math heavy and very annoying. Mr. Lee had been feeling more generous than usual and actually let the class work in small groups and they were even allowed to use their calculators.

It was then that Jeonghan noticed Seungcheol rummaging through his old and tatty bookbag for the 3rd time since Mr. Lee had made the announcement. Seungcheol probably didn't have his calculator on him, and knowing that no one wanted to partner up with the other, Jeonghan could tell that the other was pretty screwed. Seeing the panic in Seungcheol's face, Jeonghan calmly got up from his seat with his own calculator in hand and went straight for Seungcheol's desk, holding the calculator in front of the other. 

Seungcheol was more than confused and he had no idea what to do with Jeonghan standing in front of his desk.

"Here, you can use my calculator if you want....It looked like you couldn't find yours and without one you're screwed on this assignment."

Seungcheol looked at Jeonghan as if he was trying to process what the younger had just said and then after a moment he looked down and shrugged the offer off. "Thanks but I'll figure this out on my own."

Jeonghan was beyond frustrated after that. Here he was going out of his way to help the guy, not even trying to be cheeky or dish out some witty remark, and Seungcheol just ignored it all. No wonder this guy didn't have any friends. He had no idea how to accept some kindness! So Jeonghan did the next thing that came to mind and literally grabbed Seungcheol by his wrist and dragged the other with him as he made his way back to his friends.

"Hey, what are you-" Seungcheol tried.

"Shut up!" Jeonghan cut him off. When he reached his table, Joshua, Woozi and Hoshi all looked up at him with very shocked expressions. "Hey guys, Seungcheol is going to join our group for the class assignment." That was all Jeonghan said before he forced Seungcheol to sit in his seat and then he went to grab one for himself.

"Hello...I guess I'll be working with you guys." Seungcheol said awkwardly.

"Yeah...I'm Joshua Hong! It's nice to meet you!" Joshua said, acting like a true gentleman and breaking the ice.

"I know, we have home room together." Seungcheol replied which made things even more awkward. Jeonghan could only sigh as Joshua looked rather embarrassed because of course Seungcheol already knew him since they already had a class together...Joshua had just never made the effort to speak to him before. Seungcheol, though, didn't seem to realize that he had just made things so awkward. Maybe he just doesn't know how to act around people? Jeonghan thought.

"Right..." Joshua said, "Well, I look forward to working with you!"

"Hey! I'm Hoshi!" The dancer said, smiling and offering his hand towards Seungcheol and Seungcheol shook it and smiled back. Nothing much was said besides the small intro between them so Seungcheol turned to face the next person which happened to be Woozi. 

The young producer was staring at Seungcheol as if he were studying him and Seungcheol had to be the one to say hi first.

"I've heard you rap." Was all Woozi said and Seungcheol immediately blushed and tried to deny it.

"What....no, that couldn't have been me."

"No, I'm pretty sure it was you. I heard you when you were in the gym during free period the other day. I was on the treadmill and I guess you were taking a break from weightlifting and I heard you rapping. You're pretty good." Woozi complimented which shocked everyone at the table because Woozi didn't compliment just anyone. "If you're interested, I record and produce songs as a hobby....we could get together some time and record something, just for fun."

"I...I don't think-"

"Dude, if Woozi is offering you to record something with him then that means you're pretty damn good. He doesn't joke around when it comes to music." Joshua said with a slight laugh.

"Really? Well okay then! That sounds really cool, actually." Seungcheol said, a smile forming on his face...something no one had really seen before. 

It took a moment for the other four to properly function after that because Choi Seungcheol actually had a really nice smile and they all wondered why the other didn't do it more often. He looked like a puppy when he smiled! But when no one said anything after that, Seungcheol's smile vanished and he turned to Jeonghan. "What? Did I say something wrong?" He asked, wondering why they were all staring at him like that.

"Oh, it's nothing." Jeonghan said, snapping out of his trance. "Now, let's get started on this before class ends and Mr. Lee makes us turn these in." he said, which got them all to focus on the assignment.

They all worked hard, going through different equations and trying to figure out which numbers needed to go where and what they were actually trying to find. They all found out that Seungcheol was pretty good at math as well as reasoning through word problems so he and Joshua were able to tell them which information from the problem was necessary and which numbers were there just to throw them off. Seungcheol even helped them on the really minor details that they could easily lose points on just because Mr. Lee was so picky with how he wanted the answers presented.

"So I got 3.762 m/s^2 for question number 4." Hoshi said.

"Actually, it should be 3.76 m/s^2 since Mr. Lee wants us to round to the second place. If you don't then he'll take off 0.5 points. But other than that, yeah I got the same thing." Seungcheol replied.

"Ugh! I always forget the rounding! Thanks for reminding me about that man!" Hoshi said, patting Seungcheol on the back with a huge smile on his face. 

"No problem. Mr. Lee is pretty picky about that stuff so I double check everything and make sure my answers are always rounded." 

"Hey Seungcheol, what did you get for number 6?" Woozi asked.

"I'm actually pretty stumped on that one too."

"I got it. I had to look through my notes but I found out how to work through the problem." Joshua said. "If you want, I could explain it to you guys."

"Really? That'd be awesome! I'm pretty sure a question like that will show up on the next exam." Seungcheol replied and they all agreed and Joshua got to explaining. As they continued to talk about impulse and momentum, Jeonghan couldn't help but to think about how easy it was for Seungcheol to get along with his friends as soon as he loosened up a little. Jeonghan could tell that his friends liked Seungcheol and it was a wonder how Seungcheol never had any friends of his own when behind the attitude, he was a pretty decent guy. He was still kinda annoying with his closed off personality, but once you got passed that, he wasn't that bad. 

"Did you get that?" He heard Joshua ask.

"Huh? Sorry, what?"

"Really, Jeonghan...you're never gonna pass this class if you keep zoning out. I was asking if you understood the concept now."

"Oh...yeah nope. Still clueless." He replied.

"Well, we got the answer. You should at least write it down and then you can teach it to yourself later for the test next week." Seungcheol chipped in.

"Studying on my own sounds boring. Why don't you be my tutor? We could have a little study date?" Jeonghan suggested with a wink and a smile, knowing that his friends would think he was being weird, but Jeonghan saw it as the perfect opportunity to try. And Jeonghan had to hold back a smirk when he thought he saw Seungcheol's cheeks begin to pink. Maybe Choi Seungcheol wasn't so indifferent after all.

"Sorry, I'm really busy so I don't think I'd have the time for something like that. But I'm sure one of your friends would be happy to help you if you have any problems." Seungcheol said looking down, completely ignoring Jeonghan's attempt to flirt which caused the other to puff his cheeks in annoyance.

Things were a little awkward after that and Joshua had to be the one to get them all to focus on the assignment again. Not much happened after that and pretty soon class was over and it was time to turn in their work. Jeonghan had already packed up his things and he was in the hallway waiting for Joshua so that they could walk to their next classes together when he was suddenly pulled to the side by Seungcheol.

"Hey Jeonghan, it was really nice of you to invite me to work with you an your friends so...thanks."

"You're welcome. And you know, you can always work with us if you want to. I certainly wouldn't mind and I know my friends definitely like you after today, especially Woozi."

"Really? That's really nice of you! And I guess I should apologize for my behavior around you. I know I was being a towards you and I'm sorry. You're not that bad of a guy."

Jeonghan was about to respond with something witty when Joshua showed up.

"Hey, Seungcheol! It was really nice working with you. We should hang out some time!" Joshua said with a warm smile.

"Yeah, I'd like that...anyway you guys should probably get to your next class."

"You too! See you around man." Joshua said before Jeonghan pulled him away to start walking.

"So...what made you call Seungcheol over during class?" Joshua said after a minute.

"I don't know...he looked desperate for a partner."

"You know...at first I thought you were trying to mess with the guy but after today, I think you're actually trying to be friends with him." Joshua said. Typical Joshua, always seeing the best in people...even when Jeonghan was getting close to Seungcheol for his own selfish reasons. It was that moment that Jeonghan contemplated telling Joshua the truth. But then he remembered the terms of his bet and he also knew that Joshua would be appalled with him for even agreeing to the thing. So instead, he let Joshua believe what he wanted to because that was easier for them both.

"It's nice...what you're trying to do. I mean today was the first time that I've ever spoken to Seungcheol, but from what I could tell, he's a nice guy. He just needs a friend."

"Yeah...I thought so too." Jeonghan said, lying through his teeth and feeling the guilt weigh down on him. Jeonghan stayed silent for the rest of their short walk while Joshua talked about different things until they reached Jeonghan's next class.

"Anyway, I gotta run before Mrs. Park closes the door on me. Bye Jeonghan! I'll see you after school!" Joshua said before running down the hall.

Jeonghan waved goodbye to his best friend and then went into his theater class ready to consume himself in a script in hopes that he could brush off the guilt he still felt. What helped was when he saw Baekhyun in his class and suddenly he was reminded of why he was doing all of this in the first place. It reassured him and now the only thing that mattered was that he had finally broken the ice with Seungcheol and now he could work on getting closer to him in more ways than just one.

 

 

On Thursday, Seungcheol didn't show up to school and even Hoshi asked where the older boy was. But this time, neither Jeonghan, Joshua, Hoshi or Woozi paid much attention to the stories that spread around that day about why Seungcheol wasn't there.

 

 

On Friday, Jeonghan came in to his homeroom class and found Seungcheol sitting at his usual seat next to Jungkook at the back of the class. Seungcheol seemed to have noticed Jeonghan's eyes on him because when they caught each other's eyes, they both gave a offered a small smile as a greeting. Even Joshua gave a small wave to Seungcheol, which the older returned. And when My. Kim started his class, Jeonghan was happy that their teacher had assigned group readings for the day. Students in the room quickly got into groups of 6-8 people and Jeonghan wasted no time in calling Seungcheol and Jungkook over to their group. Jun and Wonwoo were a little surprised with Jeonghan's sudden invitation to the two but Joshua greeted them with warm smiles.

It didn't take long for Jun and Wonwoo to like Seungcheol either and Jeonghan was glad that his friends were starting to like Seungcheol. That would make it easier for him to do carry out his plan. Wonwoo had even offered to walk with Seungcheol to the next class since they both had the same music elective for their next period and Seungcheol accepted rather shyly after much prompting from the others.

By lunch, Jeonghan scanned the courtyard in hopes of finding the older boy and inviting him to eat with him so that he could meet his other friends, but as usual, Seungcheol was nowhere to be found during lunch. 

During Physics, Seungcheol didn't sit with Jeonghan and the others but he did say hello to them as he made his way to his regular seat at the back of the class and Jeonghan and his friends all said hello back which caused Seungcheol to have that really nice smile again.

In Jeonghan's last class, he waited for the entire period to finish so that he could ask Seungcheol if he wanted to hang out after school but as the older boy rushed out of the classroom Jeonghan remembered Jungkook saying something about him having a job right after school. 

Jeonghan wondered what it was and why it was so important to Seungcheol. Why did the other always seemed to reject any offers to hang out and really any gesture of friendship when they came his way? Did he really not like being around other people? But that couldn't be true because he had proved to Jeonghan and his friends over the past week that he did in fact enjoy the company of others. Maybe he was just shy? But then what about those rumors? Seungcheol wasn't that bad and even though Jeonghan wouldn't call Choi Seungcheol a swell guy to be around, he was okay and he really didn't live up to those big, bad stories that they'd all been told throughout the years. The more Jeonghan thought about it, the more curious he became and that only gave him more reason to carry out the bet. 

For some reason, he needed to find out more about Choi Seungcheol.

 


A/N: Hi!! I finally updated this one! I don't know why but this chapter gave me some serious writers block but hopefully I won't have that problem again.

Anyway, who else was slayed by Vocal Unit? Pinwheel ended my life and I cannot even begin to explain how great the song and mv are. Plus THOSE VISUALS!! Idk about you guys but Joshua and Seokmin were killing me! Why is everyone in SVT so handsome? lol