Chapter 4

The Bet

Over the weekend Jeonghan was consumed with thoughts on how he was going to make Choi Seungcheol fall in love with him. Just how was he supposed to get a social outcast to fall for him when they have never even spoken to each other, a part from that one time last week where they had run into each other in an empty hallway and Jeonghan had all but told the other to never speak to him again. Jeonghan groaned just thinking back at the incident. He had already screwed things up before even starting and now he was going to have to figure out a way to make Seungcheol believe that he didn't really mean any of those things, even if he did. It was going to be hard at first but Jeonghan figured that he could do it if he just found a way to spend some time with the other. Let him believe that he wants to be friends and then slowly work his charms on him from there.

It seemed easy enough and Jeonghan had never had any troubles with making friends before so he thought that was a good way to start things. So with his new resolve, Jeonghan eagerly waited for Monday to approach, going over a thousand scenarios in his head about how he would talk to Seungcheol and just how he would get the other to warm up to him. 

On Monday morning, Jeonghan had woken up extra early to make sure that he looked good in his school uniform, with the top buttons of his shirt left undone to show a little skin and his tie hanging a little loose around his neck, blazer on and his shoes shined. He also purposely left his hair out and brushed it until it looked soft and shiny and styled it to perfection. He even put on a winning smile as he made his way out the door and with his head up high, he already felt his efforts paying off. He looked good and there was no way anyone, not even the seemingly indifferent Choi Seungcheol, would not stop to take a second glance at him. Even Joshua commented on how he looked when he met up with the other in front of the American boy's house so that they could walk to school together.

"You're here early AND you look this good? Is there something happening today that I should know about?" Joshua asked.

"Shua, I told you before that I can make it to school on time if I wanted to...I just choose not to most of the time." Jeonghan explained.

"Oh please, you're just like Wonwoo and you both are lucky to have me and Mingyu. You know you love your sleep way too much and if it wasn't for me calling you in the morning most of the time, you'd probably miss half the semester." Joshua joked. "But seriously, what's the special occasion? You even left your hair out...are you trying to impress someone?"

"Would you believe me if I said I wanted to look good for myself?"

"So you are trying to impress someone." Joshua replied, knowing his best friend way too well. "Let's see...is it Wonho?"

"No, everyone knows he's got his eyes set on Yoo Kihyun so trying to impress him would be pointless."

"Lee Minhyuk?"

"Why would I try to impress my ex, Shua? Besides, I think he kinda likes either Jooheon or Hyungwon."

"Then who?" Joshua asked.

"No one, like I told you before."

"Wait....you're not still trying to win over Sehun, are you?" And when Jeonghan didn't answer, Joshua stopped them from walking any further to look at his friend. "You are, aren't you? Listen Jeonghan, I know you think you really like the guy and I can see why you're attracted to him, I mean he's rich, handsome and he pretty much has it all, but he's not a good guy. That group of people, they only use you until their done and then they'll toss you aside. Please don't waste your time on them Jeonghan. They're not worth it."

"Me trying to look good for one day has nothing to do with Sehun, Joshua! And why do you always have to put him down like that? What if he's actually a really nice guy?"

"I say it to warn you. I know you think you can change him but Sehun isn't the type of guy to date and fall in love. He hasn't been that type of guy since Luhan moved away a couple of years ago and they broke up."

"Shua, like you said, that was years ago and I think Sehun has probably moved on from then. But none of that even matters because I am not trying to look pretty for him. I just wanted to look a little nicer than usual...I didn't know that was a crime." Jeonghan said defensively and that was when Joshua decided to drop the subject with a soft sorry.

The two juniors continued to walk to school together, picking up Dino, Dokyeom, Seungkwan and Vernon along the way and the six boys all joked and laughed together as they walked to school. Vernon was trying to be extra flirty towards Seungkwan and the other sophomore just laughed and reminded him that they were already dating which caused everyone to laugh at Vernon's cheesiness until they reached the school gates. From then on, Jeonghan tuned himself out of the conversations going on around him in favor of searching for a certain raven haired boy. But all that searching was for nothing when he realized that he didn't even know where to search for the other since he had no idea where his locker was or if he had even come to school yet. Jeonghan pouted with his realization and made his way to his first class with Joshua.

Just as Jeonghan expected, Wonwoo and Jun were already seated at their usual table and Jeonghan was just about to sit down in his regular spot next to his best friend when he caught sight of someone from his peripheral vision. Making sure that his eyes weren't playing tricks on him, Jeonghan fully turned his direction towards the back of the classroom and saw none other than Choi Seungcheol sitting in his seat. It was pure luck and what made it even better was that Seungcheol was there alone which meant that Jungkook was either running late or the younger wasn't going to show up at all. Either way, Jeonghan thanked his lucky stars and made his way over to the other, leaving his friends rather confused in their seats as he grabbed his bookbag and walked towards the back of the class right in the middle of Jun talking about something to do with his relationship with Minghao.

Jeonghan stood in front of Seungcheol's desk, hoping to get the others attention but when he saw the headphones in the older boy's ear, along with his head down on his desk, he realized that he wasn't going to be noticed by just standing there. With another pout, Jeonghan placed his bag on top of the empty space next to Seungcheol rather obnoxiously and then plopped himself down in the available seat. That seemed to jolt Seungcheol to sit up and look at him and when he did, Jeonghan gave him a soft smile as he tilted his head a little so that his hair fell in a way that he knew made him look pretty. The action left Seungcheol speechless, definitely not expecting to have K-Star's angel sit next to him and smile at him like that, and the poor guy found it hard to speak and just sat there with his mouth open a little. 

Jeonghan had to hold back a smirk because this was all too easy. "Hey." Jeonghan said smoothly.

"Je...Jeonghan." Seungcheol said with much surprise in his voice. He had even looked around the room to make sure that he was in the right seat. "What are you doing here?"

Jeonghan let out a little laugh. "Oh nothing, just thought I'd sit here for a change. That isn't a problem, is it?"

Jeonghan meant for his tone to sound flirty but it had the opposite effects as Seungcheol's eyes thinned as he looked at Jeonghan suspiciously. "I don't really care, but are you sure your friends would be okay with that?" 

Jeonghan was about to say that they were but then he glanced to his side and sure enough, Joshua, Wonwoo and Jun were all staring in his direction, giving him confused looks. Jeonghan could only laugh again but this time with a hint of nervousness as he chose to ignore the looks.

"Well, I guess this was kind of out of the blue. I just thought I would come say hi, ya know. We never talk and I wanted to change that." Jeonghan tried to explain with a believable lie, but again, Seungcheol wasn't buying it.

"Really? Because last week you made it pretty clear that you wanted me to stay away from you." Seungcheol said with a little more bitterness and bite than Jeonghan was prepared for, almost sounding hurt because of Jeonghan's attitude towards him from before.

"Seungcheol...I was having a bad day that day...I didn't really mean it." Jeonghan tried.

"Oh really? Because that wasn't the first time you've proved that you want nothing to do with me." Seungcheol replied, clearly remembering all of the other times over the years that Jeonghan, as well as everyone else, chose to keep their distance from him.

"I...Seungcheol...I..." Jeonghan tried again but this time he had no words to say. And just when he had thought of another excuse to explain for that, he was interrupted by someone else standing before them and when he looked up he saw that it was Jeon Jungkook.

The sophomore looked confused about seeing Jeonghan sitting in his usual seat and he gave Seungcheol a questioning look. "Hey Seungcheol, I didn't know you were gonna sit with Jeonghan today....I can sit somewhere else if you'd like."

"It's okay Jungkook. Jeonghan was just leaving." Seungcheol said, silently telling Jeonghan to leave.

Jeonghan caught the silent message and made his way back to his seat.

"What was that about?" Jun asked as soon and Jeonghan sat down.

And Jeonghan replied with a simple "nothing" before ignoring his friends' looks as he got out his books for the class and replayed the last few minutes in his head for the rest of their free period until their first lesson began. All Jeonghan could think about was how his conversation with Seungcheol had not played out how he thought it would at all and now he had to think of another way to get close to the older boy.

 

 

Jeonghan went on with the rest of his day, from his History class to his English class, then to his Vocal class with his friends and then finally to lunch. Jeonghan told himself that he would try again at lunch but to his dismay, he couldn't find the raven haired boy anywhere in the courtyard. He had looked all over the place but no matter what, the boy did not show up. Jeonghan did however, run into Kyungsoo and Chanyeol while in line to buy his lunch and the seniors had asked him how things were going with the bet. Jeonghan had told them about what happened in his morning class and how it was going to to take longer than he expected to win Seungcheol over and the seniors just laughed and told him to take his time, that there was no rush and that the most important part was to make it believable to Seungcheol so that the other wouldn't suspect a thing. Jeonghan nodded and then remembered that he had a class with Seungcheol right after lunch which he accidently blurted out loud while still in line with the two members of EXO. They had laughed at Jeonghan, giving him a little pep talk and told him to use that cuteness to charm Seungcheol. Jeonghan blushed but agreed before paying for his lunch and joining his usual friends at his lunch table.

After lunch, Jeonghan walked with Joshua, Woozi and Hoshi to their Physics class. Jeonghan laughed at Joshua's jokes and teased Woozi with some affection but he also paid close attention to the way Hoshi would act bute towards Woozi and how the other would try his hardest to hide his blush with a blank face and Jeonghan had to wonder if Seungcheol was just like his smaller friend. Maybe the older boy was a bit of a tsundere and that was why he was so closed off when Jeonghan spoke to him this morning. He knew he caught the other staring a bit too long at him when Jeonghan gave him his best smile and that helped to convince Jeonghan that he needed to act cuter towards Seungcheol to get his attention. 

So when his next class started, Jeonghan waited for Seungcheol to enter the classroom and then he wasted no time in putting his plan into action. Seungcheol barely had the chance to sit down in his regular seat before Jeonghan was sitting next to him with his elbows on the table, hands cupping his face and Jeonghan staring at the other with big brown eyes. 

"...can I help you?" Seungcheol asked, really confused now.

"Seungcheol!" Jeonghan said, a little whinier than he could stand, but it was all part of his plan. "I didn't see you at lunch. Where were you?" Jeonghan asked with a little pout. 

"Maybe that's because I never go to lunch." Seungcheol said blandly before attempting to ignore the other.

Jeonghan could see that the other was already trying to block him out and he would have none of it. "But...what do you mean you never go to lunch? Where do you go? Tell meee~" Jeonghan asked, shaking Seungcheol's arm a bit which earned him some glances from students all over the room. 

"What are you...can you stop that?" Seungcheol asked, pulling his arm out of the boy's grip and looking more than a little annoyed.

"Then tell me where you were." Jeonghan said.

"It's none of your business." Seungcheol replied and Jeonghan was about to say something back when the door of the classroom opened again and Mr. Lee walked through and as soon as he did, he saw that Jeonghan was not in his correct seat and scolded him to hurry up because he was disrupting the class.

Jeonghan made his way over without question, not wanting to get on Mr. Lee's bad side and then sat down in his seat, ignoring the entire class looking at him. As soon as he sat down, he started taking notes and a few minutes into the lecture Joshua had nudged his arm.

"Dude, that was the second time you tried to talk to Seungcheol today. Did he do something to you?" Joshua asked in a hushed tone.

"No." Jeonghan replied. "Just thought I'd try talking to the guy...apparently that's impossible to do though. He doesn't want to talk to anyone."

"And you're surprised? He doesn't like people and people don't like him. Of course he wouldn't talk to you." He heard Hoshi whisper behind him rather loudly which defeated the purpose of whispering because Mr. Lee had heard him and he turned in their direction with a warning look before he resumed his lesson. Hoshi then received a kick from Woozi for that and both Jeonghan and Joshua had to hold back a chuckle.

"He's right, Jeonghan. Seungcheol doesn't like talking to anybody. You should know that." Joshua said.

"Yeah, well I just thought I'd try." Jeonghan said before going back to his note taking.

Again, Jeonghan went on with the rest of his day, after Physics going to his Fine Arts class (in his case, acting which he had with Mingyu), and then his Psychology class before going to his Calculus class. And then Jeonghan reached his last official class of the day, he was shocked to see Choi Seungcheol in there too. He had never noticed the raven haired boy in his class before and if he was being honest, he was shocked the other was taking AB Calculus like he was since not many juniors chose to take the higher level math course. But Jeonghan was also a little thrilled because that meant he had another chance to talk to Seungcheol before the day was over, and Jeonghan was not about to accept that he made the effort to look extra good that day only to have someone like Choi Seungcheol ignore him. 

But just like the rest of the day, Seungcheol did ignore him and by the time the last bell rang, Jeonghan was left sitting in his seat, blowing at strands of blonde hair that had come to front of his face in annoyance as Choi Seungcheol rushed passed him to leave in a hurry. Jeonghan watched the outcast leave and swore to himself that he would try again tomorrow, and the day after that...and the day after that. 

He would try for as many days as it took until he finally got the other to warm up to him, because he was not about to let Oh Sehun down by not coming through with his end of the bet.

 

 

However, when Tuesday came around, Jeonghan was met with the same problem. People either ignored Seungcheol and vice versa or they would give him a hard time, some even going a little too far which would rile up Seungcheol, and then the raven haired boy would go back to keeping his distance...mainly from Jeonghan since he was the only one who actually made an effort to approach him during the day.

 

The same things happened on Wednesday.

 

On Thursday Seungcheol hadn't even shown up to school....and not long after the day had started, a rumor started going around that apparently he had gotten into a fight and that he was sent home for the rest of the day and the news caused Jeonghan to sigh because of course that would happen.

 

 

And then on Friday, Seungcheol was back at school and Jeonghan had made it his mission to get the other to at least say hi to him. So when he came into his homeroom class, he was pleased to see Seungcheol already at his seat so he made his way over and promised himself that he would stay there for the entire study hall if he needed to until Seungcheol said something to him.

"Seungcheol, hey! I missed you yesterday." Jeonghan greeted as he forced a warm and welcoming smile.

"Seriously, you haven't given up yet?" Seungcheol bit back as a reply.

"Excuse me?" Jeonghan said, taken aback by the tone in Seungcheol's voice. He knew his constant pestering during the week was both odd and slightly annoying but he didn't think that he deserved such a rude reply as a result of that.

"Look, I don't know what you're trying to do but I'm really not in the mood today, so just leave me alone."

"What's your problem? I'm just trying to be nice!" Jeonghan said, raising his voice a little. "You know, if you weren't so moody all of the time and didn't constantly act like you have a stick up your then maybe you'd actually have some friends!"

"I didn't ask you to be nice to me and I don't need any friends!" Seungcheol said stubbornly and Jeonghan wanted nothing more than to scream in the other's face. He was beginning to feel like he wouldn't get anywhere with the other and that he had already lost the bet.

"This is why you're so alone." Jeonghan said under his breath before he made his way back to his seat and for the rest of the day he told himself that he wouldn't bother himself with the outcast, instead enjoying the pleasures that came with having his friends around him.

At the end of the day, Jeonghan met up with Sehun in the school parking lot and he had complained to the older about how his task was much harder than he predicted.

"Hey, Han don't worry about it. Take your time with this. Just because the first week didn't go so well doesn't mean that you won't succeed. I'm sure Seungcheol will fall for you eventually." Sehun reassured him.

"But why does it have to be Seungcheol?" Jeonghan asked. "I'm pretty sure he kinda hates me after all of my pestering. Plus he has such a cold personality. Can it be anyone else?"

"No! It just needs to be Seungcheol!" Sehun said in a tone that almost scared Jeonghan. Just why was the other so adamant about it being Seungcheol? But Jeonghan didn't get the chance to voice his question because a moment later he found Sehun putting his hands on his shoulders and looking directly into his eyes. Jeonghan couldn't help but to blush under the deep stare and could only listen as Sehun spoke. "Listen, Han, you're K-Star's angel and I'm sure that if anyone can get Choi Seungcheol to let his guard down enough to open up a little then it's you. Just have more patience with yourself and him and I'm sure you'll get things done."

"You're sure?"

"Positive. And if it'll take the weight off of you a little, then you don't even need to report to me every week. I mean, waiting for you here after school every Friday will become a bit of a hassle for me and I think it kinda stresses you out so just let me know when something happens from time to time, like when you go on a date with him or something and then just let me know about it."

"Yeah, sure....wait, how will I let you know?"

"I'll give you my number, silly." Sehun said with a smile as he scribbled on a small piece of paper and Jeonghan swore he was going to faint.

Sehun then handed Jeonghan the piece of paper before ruffling the junior's hair a little and then getting in his car to drive off. Jeonghan was left standing in the parking lot with the piece of paper clutched in his hands as his heart beat rapidly. Oh Sehun, the guy that Jeonghan had been drooling over since he was a freshman, had just given him his phone number and Jeonghan swore to himself that he wouldn't let the other down.

Next week he would try again and he would make sure to get Choi Seungcheol to at least be civil with him before he tried anything else.

 


A/N: Here's chapter 4! (It is currently 2:35 AM LOL What am I doing with me life??) Anyway, I'm thinking about changing the chapter names to school weeks just so that it'll be easier to keep track of time and events...and I'm also thinking about adding in a little info chapter about the school's scheduling as well as class yrs and which students belong in what year. Let me know if you guys would like that because it would take some extra time but I think it would be really helpful for my readers, and myself, as the story progresses.

And yeah, as always, thank you so much for reading this fic and please make sure to leave a comment!!