Chapter 2

The Bet

It was Friday morning and Jeonghan had actually made it to school on time, but maybe that had to do with the fact that he carpooled with Wonwoo and Mingyu and the two had basically dragged him out of bed in the morning. They had been so pushy with him that the junior didn't even have time to grab a hair tie so he was left with his blonde hair out in the open which was a pain because he always had to move a few strands out of his face.

As he made his way through the halls, he kept having to readjust his hair which earned him a few catcalls from some overly confident jocks. Jeonghan glared at them but if he was being honest then he couldn't really blame them because even he knew he looked pretty whenever he tucked a few strands behind his ear. It was one of the reasons why so many people referred to him as "angel" because with those gentle actions, he really did look like one. 

But regardless of that, it still annoyed Jeonghan when one of those jerks would get too close or bother him for his number. He would ignore them and if they were really persistent then he would tell them to screw off, and if he hurt their ego enough then they would leave him alone. 

Luckily though, he didn't have to do any of that because they seemed to back off with his simple glare. He smiled to himself at that and continued to make his way down the hall until he reached his locker. He opened it and proceeded to put back the textbooks he had taken home and traded them for whichever books he needed for the day. As he did so, he saw someone approach him and they stopped right him front of his locker, however since his locker door was open, he could only see their lower half. Guessing that it was Joshua, he didn't even bother to close the locker to face his friend and instead used the mirror he had placed on his locker door to fix his hair.

"Shua, do you have one of my hair ties on you? I know you told me to keep some in my own locker but-"

"Not Shua." A new voice said with an amused tone.

Jeonghan was surprised by the unfamiliar person who had stopped by his locker and he closed it quickly, only to come face to face with Kim Jongdae. He was part of EXO and he had one of the best voices in the entire school. Rumor has it that he was trained by previous school legends such as Kim Jonghyun and Onew, the main singers from a group called SHINee that had graduated a couple of years ago. He even gained recognition from Kim Ryeowook, a teacher in the school who didn't give compliments to just anyone since he was an award winning composer and a famous performer throughout South Korea. And aside from Jongdae's talent as a singer, he was also incredibly rich and good looking.

Just what on earth was he doing in front of my locker? Thought Jeonghan

"Jongdae? What can I do for you?" Jeonghan asked, quickly getting flustered just being in the senior's presence.

"Jongdae? Please, call me Chen." He said handsomely.

Jeonghan almost had a heart attack from how fast his heart was beating. Only Jongdae's closest friends were allowed to call him Chen and here he was giving Jeonghan permission to call him just that.

"Ch...Chen. Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Not really. I was just wondering why I don't see more of you around." The older said, trying his best to contain his smirk when he saw Jeonghan's cheek turn pink.

"I...uh...I don't know. I guess I'm just easy to miss." Jeonghan said while shyly tucking a strand of hair behind his ear.

"Nonsense. You're the school's angel. I'm sure I wouldn't miss such a pretty face." Chen said, barely containing his chuckle this time because the poor junior looked like he was about to pass out from the compliment. "Listen, why don't you come hang with me and the guys during lunch?"

"Really? Are you sure that would be okay with everyone?" Jeonghan said, completely shocked by the sudden invitation.

"Of course! Besides, I think you being there will make a certain someone very happy."

"Who?" Jeonghan asked, already daydreaming about one particular member in EXO.

"Why don't you sit with us today and you can find out." And with that, Chen was on his way, making sure to pat Jeonghan's back as he left.

Jeonghan was left standing in the hallway completely shocked about what had just happened. He was just invited to hang out with the most popular group of boys in the entire school. It was like his dream come true and he couldn't wait to get to his first class to tell his friends. So he quickly zipped up his bookbag and ran to his classroom.

 

 

Jeonghan had made it just before the last bell rang and he took his seat next to Joshua, just behind Jun and Wonwoo. His friends were already in a conversation when he had arrived so he slammed his book onto the table to get their attention.

"Wow, Wonwoo! You weren't lying! You actually managed to get K-Star's laziest junior to come to school on time!." Joshua joked which earned him a smack on the head while both Jun and Wonwoo laughed at his pain.

"Shut up Shua!" Jeonghan glared for a moment until he remember what he wanted to say. "Anyway...you guys will not believe what just happened to me this morning!"

"You finally realized that I'm more handsome than you!" Jun interrupted him.

"Yeah, keep dreaming." Jeonghan replied. "But no. You will never guess who invited me to have lunch with them today!"

"Kang Daniel!" Jun said.

"Why would he be excited about a sophomore asking him to lunch? It's gotta be his ex, Lee Minhyuk. He still looks at Jeonghan with hearts in his eyes." Wonwoo replied.

"What? no! Neither of them!" Jeonghan answered them both.

"Then tell us who?" Joshua said a moment later.

"Kim Jongdae! Can you believe it! A member from EXO actually asked me to sit with them! This is insane!" Jeonghan said excitedly, almost jumping in his seat. But when he saw his friends' lack of enthusiasm, his smile quickly faded. "What's wrong with you guys? Aren't you happy for me? This could be my chance! I could finally join their group AND I might get Sehun to notice me!"

"We are happy for you, man, don't get me wrong...it's just...are you sure this is such a good idea?" Joshua said.

"Of course it is! Not everyone gets this opportunity and I'm not gonna waste it like Woozi did."

"Yeah but you know it's not that easy to get in with them. They make almost everyone do something crazy before they actually accept them. They have that weird initiation thing and it's never anything good." Wonwoo replied.

"You guys the fun out of everything." Jeonghan pouted. "Look, it's just lunch. Maybe they'll change their mind about me and just let me join. I mean, they were kind enough to invite me, right?"

"If you say so." Jun replied which caused Jeonghan to puff his cheeks in annoyance.

"Just you watch! I'll win them all over with my charms and once I'm in, I'll extend the friendship over to you guys and then we'll all be part of their group! Just think, we could have all the fame and popularity...our futures would be set just because we're associated with them! And then...maybe I'll even win Sehun's heart!" Jeonghan said dreamily.

The rest of his friends just sighed, knowing that they had lost Jeonghan to one of his daydreams and that trying to have a decent conversation with him while he was in one was a lost cause. So they all pulled out their books and waited for the lesson to start. Soon, everyone had taken their seats and their teacher, Kim Heechul, lectured on about Korean history from where he had left off in the book from the last class. The class went on rather slowly, students either taking down notes or trying not to get caught using their phones. Pretty usual, until 30 minutes later and the door was almost slammed open by none other than Choi Seungcheol. The disturbance had caused everyone to stop what they were doing and turn their heads to face the boy. Even Jeonghan was brought out from his daydream and when he caught a glimpse of Seungcheol, he couldn't help but to notice that the other seemed out of breath. It was obvious that the boy had ran to get to class but Jeonghan told himself that he couldn't care less. He thought that the other would just skip but apparently he had the decency to at least show up.

"Choi Seungcheol! If you're going to come into my class late then at least do so quietly!" Mr. Kim yelled.

"Sorry sir." Seungcheol said quietly.

"Oh no, don't just apologize to me. Why don't you come up here and apologize to the entire class for disrupting their lesson."

Seungcheol looked like he was going to protest but to everyone's surprise, he walked up to the front of the class and said sorry. Several people snickered and laughed at him but Seungcheol just ignored it, already used to that type of treatment from other students.

"And do you have a late pass for me?" Mr. Kim asked just as Seungcheol was about to walk to his seat.

"No sir." Seungcheol said, looking down at his feet, almost looking guilty. 

Mr. Kim just sighed, not liking that he already had to be so harsh towards someone. "Very well, I'll let it slide just this once. But don't take my kindness for granted! Just make sure that in the future you come into my class on time...and preferably without interrupting my lesson. Understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Go take your seat Seungcheol." Mr. Kim said as he turned back to the board to write down more notes for the students to copy.

"Yes sir...thank you sir."

Seungcheol then made his way to the back of the class, more kids laughing at him and whispering about why he could've been late, many assuming he probably got into another fight and others guessing that he most likely didn't care about school and just showed up because his parents probably made him. But whatever was spread, Seungcheol made no attempts to correct them which just furthered proved to the other students that they were right about him. Choi Seungcheol was just an outcasted delinquent who didn't care about anyone or anything.

Seungcheol took his seat next to a sophomore named Jeon Jungkook, who had taken an advanced placement test that allowed him to take junior classes. Both Seungcheol and Jungkook were on the school's wrestling team and everyone guessed that them being on the same team was the only reason why someone as talented and as smart as Jungkook even tolerated sitting next to Seungcheol. Though the two didn't talk much, they were at least civil with each other and that was the most kindness that anyone had shown Seungcheol since everyone else was too scared to even approach him.

Jeonghan didn't know why, but for some reason he had noticed all of this. He used to wonder why no one gave the older boy a chance, but then he heard more and more rumors about the type of person he was and that made him stay away. And when he had actually seen the other, with his cold exterior and his closed off attitude, that all helped to convince Jeonghan that Choi Seungcheol wasn't worth anyone's time.

And like how he wasn't worth anyone's time, he wasn't worth Jeonghan thinking too much over. So instead, the junior thought about future things to come, such as his lunch with EXO. He was so excited that he could barely pay attention in class. Taking down a few notes and then taking pictures of Joshua's notebook, all while thinking about what he would say when the time came. 

 

 

His next few classes went on just like that, barely paying attention and only perking up when he met another one of his friends from his usual group and telling them all about his invitation. Only Dokyeom and Seungkwan were excited but the others either brushed it off or warned him about getting his hopes up too high. And Woozi....Woozi told him to be careful for some reason.

Jeonghan chose to ignore the less positive responses and waited patiently for lunch to finally start. As soon as the bell rang, Jeonghan was in line to buy his food and already mentally preparing himself for what he thought would be the moment that changed his life. He was in line with Dino, Dokyeom and Minghao and he was brought out of his mental preparation when the younger boys started asking him questions.

"Hyung, are you really not going to sit with us today?" Dino asked.

"Aww, will my baby miss me?" Jeonghan teased.

"Hyung!! What if people hear you!." Dino hissed as he tried to shush the other but Jeonghan just laughed.

"It's only for one day Dino."

"Yeah, but what if they like you an decide to keep you?" Minghao added

"Then I'll bring you all along with me." Jeonghan replied confidently.

"You promise?" Dokyeom asked.

"Yes...now how does my hair look?" Jeonghan asked while trying to use the reflection of his phone to fix some strands into place.

"Doesn't Joshua usually fix your hair?" Dino asked.

"Yes, but Shua said he had to do something during lunch so he's not here right now." Jeonghan said in an annoyed tone, frustrated that he couldn't get one stubborn section of his hair to look just right.

"Here, let me." Minghao said as he stepped forward to help Jeonghan. "Jun has been teaching me how to style hair and I've gotten pretty good at it." The Chinese boy explained as he fixed Jeonghan's hair with ease.

When he was done, Jeonghan was pleased with the results and hugged the other tight. "Okay, well I'm off! Wish me luck guys!"

And with that, he waved goodbye to them over his shoulder and made his way to lunch table in the center of the courtyard, which was also known as EXO's and SNSD's table. Chen was the first to greet him and then the rest introduced themselves with warm welcomes. Each and every one of them gave off this aura that left Jeonghan in awe and when they smiled at him, Jeonghan was sure his knees almost gave in. They were unreal.

Jeonghan smiled shyly and greeted them back as he looked for a place to sit.

"Jeonghan!" Tiffany Hwang said cutely. "Why don't you come sit next to me. I would just love to play with your hair." She added with a giggle and the other girls all joined her and pressured Jeonghan to sit next to them.

But before Jeonghan could respond, Chen spoke for him. "Sorry ladies, but I already promised Jeonghan a seat next to me and Sehun."

"Sehun?" Jeonghan asked in shock, and he was sure everyone had noticed the blush that dusted his cheeks at the mere mention of the other boy's name.

"Of course, who do you think asked me to invite you?" Chen said with a smirk.

Jeonghan almost fainted because this was too good to be true. It had to be a dream. And then, it all got better when Sehun finally showed up and gave Jeonghan that same handsome smile that the junior remembered from so long ago. Jeonghan felt like he could die happily just from that alone.

"Jeonghan! You actually made it!" Sehun said. "I've got to be honest, I wasn't sure you'd say yes." The senior said and Jeonghan swore he had never seen anyone that was more cute and handsome than Oh Sehun.

"Of course I'd say yes. It's an honor to sit with you all...really" Jeonghan replied quickly.

Sehun smiled. "Come, let's talk." The senior said as he motioned for Jeonghan to sit down next to him. The rest sat down as well and for a few moments, they just ate and shared simple conversations varying from relationships to recent awards they had won for the school. And then Sehun finally addressed Jeonghan again.

"So, Yoon Jeonghan...What do you think of our little group?"

"I think you all are amazing, just like everyone else does in this school." Jeonghan answered honestly. "You all are really looked up to and adored by everyone else."

"I see...and do you know why we're so loved?" Sehun asked to which Jeonghan shook his head.

"Because we're the best of the best. We don't let just anyone in our group and that's because we have a status to uphold. We only allow those who can live up to our name and represent us well to join....Which brings me to my main reason for inviting you here. We've been talking and we think that you'd be a great addition to our group."

"Really?" Jeonghan asked. "...but what is it about me? I know my vocals are nowhere near as good as your standards and I'm not even that great at acting or sports. So what about me intrigued you?"

"Your charm." Sehun replied smoothly. "You're the prettiest boy at K-Star academy and no one can even try to deny that. Plus, I've heard that you have charms like no one else does. Not to mention, you have many talents that can be improved upon and we can help you to improve them. All you have to do is let us help."

"That's so nice of you!" Jeonghan said, feeling the urge to hug the other but keeping himself in check, not wanting to ruin his chances by freaking out the handsome boy next to him.

"Of course....but as I'm sure you've heard, joining our group is not that simple. We have....challenges that we make every potential member go through before joining. It's a way to test their loyalty and to prove their worthiness. You understand don't you?"

"I guess..." Jeonghan replied. "But what would you make me do?" he asked, sounding a little nervous now.

"Nothing too bad." Sehun replied. "Do you know of a Choi Seungcheol?"

"Who doesn't?" Jeonghan scoffed. "He's nothing but trash but I don't see how he has anything to do with this."

"Well, for your challenge... we want you to make Choi Seungcheol fall in love with you." Sehun said with a wicked smile.

"Excuse me?" Jeonghan asked, not sure he had heard the other correctly.

Sehun laughed at Jeonghan's expression but repeated it again. "It's simple really. Just make Choi Seungcheol fall in love with you, and we'll let you join our group." 

 


A/N: The best part about not having school the next day is being able to stay up late to write fanfics LOL I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am to write for this fic. I have so many ideas for future chapters I'm actually going to explode lol (I seriously need to write them down before I forget bc there's just so many).

Anyway, here was the second chapter! I hope you all liked it! Please leave comments on what you thought. Does anyone feel bad for Cheol yet? Because I have so much more in store for him *evil laughter* (omg but seriously do I love him so much, someone please save him from me lol)

Hopefully I should be able to get the next chapter up by tomorrow, if not then the day after. But if I don't then I'm probably working on my other fic lol and yeah... bye for now!!!