Chapter 7: The Final Wish

Angel's Starlight

Word Count:  1,740

 

"Key oppa!  Wake up!"  Byul shouted as she was struggling under Jonghyun's grip outside of the operating room in the hallway.  She started crying in his arms.  "He's your best friend!  You have to go after him!"

 

"They're trying their best to save him!"  Jonghyun cried out in vain as he held onto his girlfriend tighter.  in truth, he wanted to run in there, too.  But he knew it wouldn't be wise to enter in an operating room while doctors and nurses are doing their best to keep Key alive.  So instead he held onto Byul tighter and cradled her in his arms.

 

Key & Byul's father, Minho, & Taemin rushed into the hallway of the hospital to find Jonghyun in bloody clothes wrapping his arms around a wailing Byul, who surprisingly wore a hospital gown and a white bandage at the back of her head.  Mr. Kim immediately ran towards his daughter and hugged her & her boyfriend.  "It's alright, sweetie.  Kibummie will be fine...."  he whispered hope against her ear.

 

"Jinki hyung is in the police station right now, filing a restraining order and make charges for that stalker," Taemin informed them. "He called me just now that Yoo Nina got a black eye. Hyung, did you do that to her?" His eyes widened in surprise.  

 

Jonghyun shook his head quickly and pointed at Byul, who finally stopped crying in her father's arms.  "She quickly woke up from her momentary collapse onstage and realized Nina had shot Key.  So she simply went up to her in a calm manner and punched her straight in the eye.  I carried her to the hospital straight away after that so she can get her head checked from the hard fall, while Key gets operated."

 

Byul grumbled.  "But she's still there!"  she shouted all of a sudden and tried to pry herself away from her father's embrace.  Her father held on tighter, and soon Jonghyun & Minho joined in to hold onto her so she'd have a restricted access to move.

 

Taemin pouted, feeling lost.  Once Byul gave up struggling and let the people around her hug her fragile body, the young blonde boy decided to put on his best smile and bounce towards them.  He gave all of them a big hug.  "GROUP HUG!  FIGHTING, KEY UMMA~!"  he shouted, causing a few staff workers to turn to them, giving them weird looks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Key slowly woke up in his room back in the flat that he and his friends called their 'home'.  He raised a skeptical eyebrow and scanned his & Taemin's bedroom.  The only thing odd about it was the window that was flung open, revealing the cool sky night.

 

He got up from his bed and slowly walked towards the window.  He looked out towards the sky and saw one really shiny star amongst a thousand small twinkling ones.  Key swore his eyes were playing tricks with him once that particular star started moving in a direction, creating the shooting star effect.

 

Nonetheless, Key decided to wish upon that star.  He shut his eyes tight and clasp his hands together in a prayer mode.  "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight....... I wish to see her happy, just like how she made me happy......"

 

"I'm glad you met my daughter...."

 

Key gasped and whipped his head towards his bed, where a young woman was sitting, dressed in a white beautiful gown.  She looked like an older version of Byul.

 

Then it hit him.

 

She's Byul's mother....

 

"W-What are you doing here?"  Key stuttered out, gulping as he stood rigid in his spot beside the window.

 

Wang Xinji smiled softly at him.  "This is a dream, Kibum.  But your hallucinations of me are real.  I came by to tell you to live on.  That's how you can make her happy."

 

Key slowly nodded and hesitantly walked towards her to sit next to her on his bed.  "Um, may I ask... where your mother is?"

 

Xinji sighed and stared into Key's eyes.  "I'm sorry..... she passed away due to leukemia.  My mother never wanted to worry her own granddaughter, and she felt 2 months ago that she wasn't going to make it.  So, she did what she could and led Byul back to Seoul.  She purposely lost Byul in the crowd of citizens on the street because she knew the stars would lead her to you."

 

"Wait, wait, wait!"  Key cried out and stood up quickly.  "You mean to tell me her own grandmother intentionally lost her?!"

 

Xinji smiled sadly.  "I'm one of the stars, Kibum.  I watch over my loved ones everyday.  My mother is in heaven now with me, but I came to drop by your dreams to ask you to help me watch over your father until he joins me, and to forever watch over your beloved sister."

 

Key took a moment before leaning towards her to hug her.  "I will, umma, I will."

 

Xinji gasped, but then smiled whole-heartedly as she hugged him back.  

 

"Now it's time for you to go home...."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"MY KIBUMMIE IS ALIVE?!"

 

The doctor nodded, a bit scared of the suddenly riled up group.  The man who just shouted ran quickly into the patient room, where Key just woke up.  He immediately hugged his son in a tight embrace.

 

"Ow....a-appa.....too tight, man!"  he choked out.

 

"Ah, sorry, son!"  Key's father pulled away and shook his shoulders.  "You're alive!  Don't you ever scare me like that again!" he exclaimed.

 

The rest of his friends came tumbling in.  "YEOBO~!"  Jonghyun cried out and hugged his best friend.  Taemin smiled brightly and hugged him on the other side of the hospital bed, crying in joy.  Onew calmly smiled and hugged Key beside Taemin.  "Welcome back, Kibum."  he greeted.

 

Minho silently tried to find room for him to hug Key.  He grinned and leaned over Jonghyun's short body to hug him, which made the latter grunt and frown.  Key laughed and hugged everyone back.

 

"Oppa?"

 

Key turned towards Byul, who stood beside Jonghyun.  She bit her lip and suddenly jumped on the bed beside him, hugging Key's front side.  He patted her back and kissed the top of her head.  "I won't ever leave you alone, okay?"

 

Mr. Kim smiled at the scene before him.  From now on, we're all going to be a loving family.... thank you, Xingji, for being in my life.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

Four years later, Mr. Kim finished cooking everyone else's meals in the morning at the mansion as Onew finished his breakfast.  He got up, wearing a formal suit.  "I'm going to work now, appa."  He told the other, who was busy washing the dishes.

 

Mr. Kim nodded and smiled at him.  "Enjoy being at the hospital, Jinki!  It's your first day as a doctor!  Just....don't pull another Onew condition."  Onew laughed and nodded, leaving the mansion and going in his Mustang car.

 

Meanwhile, Taemin jumped on Key's pink bed.  He kept jumping until the latter would wake up from his slumber.  "KEY UMMA!  WAKE UP!  WAKE UP~!" He yelled at the top of his lungs.

 

Key growled from underneath his bedsheet covers.  "You better stop or I'll grab your legs and make sure you never dance again."

 

Taemin immediately stopped and hopped off the bed, pouting.  "Noooooo~~~~!!!!!!  Jaebum hyung barely made me President of the Dance club this year!" he protested.  Key chuckled and sat up from his bed.  "Alright, let's go wake up Minho!"

 

"No need."

 

The two now brown-haired fellows yelped in surprise and turned to the doorway, where Minho was calmly standing, wearing his soccer uniform already.  "I got up early because there's a match today.  We're going to be almost gone the whole day," he informed them.

 

"Dammit, Choi!  Stop doing that!"  Key nagged and got out of his bed.  "Now we have to wake up the others - "

 

" - um, about that...." Taemin started, looking uneasy.  Key raised an eyebrow at Taemin, then at Minho, who looked a bit irritated upon realizing what Taemin was going to say.

 

In Byul's bright bedroom, there was a couple sleeping together, cuddling underneath the covers.  The two were wearing pajamas, so to Key & Minho's relief, there was no 'mischief' going on.  But they still didn't like the hickeys they found on Jonghyun's jaw and Byul's neck.

 

The two looked at each other and nodded, grabbing the blankets and pulling it all off the bed.  "AHH!  YAH!  IT'S COLD!"  Jonghyun yelled, waking up immediately and cuddling Byul's body for warmth.  Taemin stood a good distance away from the bed, giggling as he watched Key pull away Byul from Jonghyun's clutches.  Byul woke up suddenly from the struggle and looked around the place.

 

"What's going on here?  Jinki left for work and YOU'RE ALL LATE FOR CLASSES!"  Mr. Kim shouted in a panic, then pointed at Jonghyun.  "AND YOU HAVE A JOB TO GO TODAY!"

 

Jonghyun's eyes widened in shock.  "Oh crap, I forgot!  MY DEADLINE FOR THE COMPOSITION!"  He shook Minho's hold on him and ran towards his room to get ready for his job as a composer and singer for an entertainment company.  Already half a year and he was known as 'Bling Bling' throughout South Korea, the best singer/composer who shines brightly onstage no matter what he does.  

 

He ran back in the room.  "Ah, almost forgot!"  Jonghyun turned to Byul and kissed her quickly yet sweetly on the lips before ruffling her hair and rushing back out of the room.

 

All eyes were on Byul now, who blushed and quickly went to her personal bathroom.  Taemin shrugged and turned to Minho.  "Hyung, let's go eat breakfast!  I heard there was more banana milk and no fried chicken this time!" he cheered as he ran towards the door.  "Last one is a rotten egg!"

 

And with that, Minho bolted past Taemin and down the stairs for breakfast.  Taemin blinked numerous times and shook his head.  "Shouldn't have said that...." he muttered to himself as he left.  

 

Mr. Kim smiled at Key and patted him on the back.  "We have a great family, don't we, son?"

 

Key nodded in agreement.  "Yeah, we do....."  He smiled back and glanced at a photo of Byul's mother, Xinji, with Key's father.  The photo was framed in glass and neatly placed on Byul's nightstand.  It was then he realized that he was still in Byul's room and he needed to go to his to change quickly.