Conviction

First spark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suffice to say, their first date was a disaster.


By the time the waiter brought over their check, they were still engaged in a tense standoff, their postures so rigid the waiter actually backed away warily, as though sensing the animosity in the air.


Why couldn't anything go right? she thought miserably, fighting the urge to bite her fingernails, a bad habit she would fall into whenever she's stressed. Beyond anger and frustration, she was also feeling defeated. Defeated at the thought that a relationship that she had fought so hard for might have ended as soon as it started. Feeling beat and beaten, she released a huge sigh and stood up to leave. She didn't even check if he was following her, intent on getting out of the restaurant so she could get some fresh air to clear her head. He merely trailed after her in silence.


Stopping before his motorbike, she contemplated calling a cab. She didn't think she could stomach being so close to him physically after the disagreement they've just had. If only she knew where they were, she groaned inwardly.


"I don't even know why we're having this argument," he finally broke the silence, shaking his head helplessly as he held his hands out, palms up.


"I don't know why we are arguing about this too. I just asked a question, which you clearly had problems answering," she shot back.


He sighed and rubbed his temples. "Yes, I have dated some of my former co-stars," he conceded with a shrug, stuffing his hands in his pockets, "but it's not what you think."


"I don't even know what you think I'm thinking. It's either a date or it's not." She didn't know why he had to speak in riddles.


"We did hang out a few times after the show, but it's nothing."


"What do you mean by 'nothing'?"


"It means it just fizzled out. After one or two dates. We were never officially together."


She frowned. "So are we officially together? This is just our first date. I guess we might 'fizzle out' too." She did an air quote, making sure to throw his own words back in his face. She knew she was being catty, but she couldn't help it. Her mother always said she was too fiesty for her own good. Add insecurity and pent-up frustration to the mix and you get a very disagreeable Nam Ji-hyun.


He just stood

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter