The Turning Point

Be With Me, Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BGM: JB & Jiyeon - When We Together

 

Stage 1: The Deal Breaker

Today, Joy is going to be getting the award as an excellent student so he went to her school festival.

She was walking with her friends when he noticed her. She looked so nervous it was very evident on her face. He chuckled knowingly so he texted her which grabbed her attention as she quickly read her phone.

‘Cheer up’

She smiled but it lasted only for a short while.

So, he texted her again.

‘You are pretty. You will be the prettiest when you stand on stage.’

This time, her smile grows so wide that he cannot help but control his laughter.

‘Yaa. You are smiling too much. You already know you are pretty, do you need I to say it.’

She laughed and she knew at that moment he was somewhere around her but she was interrupted by some of her friends.

Joy has always been an affable person. So she already used to be in the middle of attention. She was standing in the middle of the crowd when she noticed him. So, she waved her hand happily and naturally her lips curved into a sweet smile that shows her gum.

It seems to happen in a slow motion form. Unfolding slowly as his heart inflates and deflates rapidly like a person suffering from a heart sickness.

It felt like one of those moments in dramas where the male lead fell for the female lead.

People have always claimed Joy to have a pretty smile but somehow it never made him feel anything. Not until now though.

‘Yes. It is indeed pretty.’

“Yaa. She waved at you only again.” His classmate grumbled in envy but he barely heard anything coming out from his friend’s mouth.

He was too busy staring, and somehow his smile mirrored her as he lifted his hand stoically. He was clearly awestruck at his own best friend. As if nature was not helping him, the sun shone brightly on Joy’s face accentuating her milky skin as her eyes curved into a crescent moon. To add on, the breeze was blowing gently letting her hair sways along with the wind.

Even among the crowd wearing the same mustard coloured uniform as she did… she stood out for him.

In the midst of the noise, Joy screamed towards him across the street. “Oppa, am I going to be okay?”

“Aniyo.” He laughed but still gave her a fighting sign. “Goodluck.”

If before he was immune to Joy’s charm… it was only now that he felt his heart fluttered.

It all started a few days back when Joy laughingly told him that she actually has a crush on him back when they were in middle school but Sungjae was too oblivious of it and she kind of grew out of the phase.

“Then you don’t have a crush on me anymore?” Sungjae asked proudly as he did a ‘v’ sign on his chin to show off his handsome face.

She just laughed loudly like it was the most absurd thing.

At first, it was amusing to him too, but then he felt quite hurt. What is wrong with him that Joy is not seeing him that way anymore?

After that, he started to think about the ‘what if’

The next morning, he went to school, eyes all black unable to sleep. Wondering to himself why does Joy not like him anymore.

***

Stage 2: Fluttering skinship

“Yook Sungjae!” Joy leapt from behind to hug her best friend. She managed to stick on his back, her legs barely touching the ground. She laughed like there was no tomorrow as she hops on him in delight

Unknowing to her, Sungjae was blushing madly and it was very apparent on his ears. It does not help that her laughter was doing things to his heart. It sounded so near to his ears like it was especially for him.

Like he was the only person her melodious laughter was for.

It is killing him.

He tried to quickly drop her down but she was adamant on staying there.

‘Ugh..’Sungjae groaned, trying to imply that she was very heavy.

Joy quickly lets him go. “Yaa!” She hits him on his back repeatedly. “I’m not that heavy.” Joy quickly climbed down.

“Are you a cicada?” Sungjae asked as he cupped his waist, faking an angry voice.

Joy just laughed at her silly friend attitude and instead linked her arms with Sungjae.

He flinched yet again.

Joy looked at Sungjae worriedly. She inched closer to his face as she tried to feel his face.

Too close for his liking.

He retracted. Then, he flicked her forehead jokingly. “I’m okay.” He answered her.

She scrunched her nose as she rubbed her forehead.

He found it cute so he cupped her cheeks. She looked like a puffy fish. But her lips. Damn her lips. He gasped at his shocking thoughts so he quickly removed his hand from her as he suddenly back away.

Joy frowned. “Are you sure you are okay?”

“Why wouldn’t I? I am perfectly fine.” He flashed her, his smile. Appearing more awkward than ever. He knew it because he was infatuated by her.

No, he is not fine.

He likes Park Sooyoung and this was not supposed to happen.

Why does he even want to kiss her lips all of a sudden?

Damn these hormones.

“Well if you say so…” Joy sing-song her words, whistling it away. Oblivious of the smouldering stare the latter is giving to her.

God, help him. He really might be kissing her in no time.

Later that night he spends most of his time kicking himself mentally and screaming on how stupid he is to be feeling the weird attraction he has for his own best friend.

***

Stage 3: Ideal Type

“Are you guys dating?”

“What? No.” Joy spoke up first.

“Why do we look like a couple?” Sungjae laughed as he wrapped his arm around Joy’s shoulder.

“Ne!” They simultaneously nodded.

“Are you like our shipper or something?” Joy tried to brush it off when she noticed Sungjae was actually pondering about the matter.

He suddenly sat straight and shook his head like he had just seen a nightmare. But his ears are dead red.

So, she pulled his ears and leaned forward… “yook sungjae.. what are you thinking?” she whispered softly.

He swatted her hand away like she is just a fly.

“Too close!” He exclaimed.

Joy eyebrows knitted together as she stared incredulously at the bashful Sungjae.

Little that she knows, Sungjae found her whisper to be more of a seductive tone rather than normal whispers.

It takes around a couple of seconds later for him to realize what he was doing. He was actually entertaining the idea of him and Joy.

What is wrong with him really? Was him so lonely that he craved for Joy.

Joy was busy munching on her snacks when her friends are asking him about his ideal type.

He side eyed her and she seemed so uncaring about these girls fangirling over his look.

He honestly felt annoyed so he nudged her.

Her right eyebrow rose as if asking “why?”

Sungjae made an aegyo face at her which incited a laugh from Joy. He has always liked it when she laughed. Okay, he admits that Park Sooyoung is indeed charming but maybe it is just a phase in his life that he should rather ignore. His type has always been and will always be a noona. He really does not seem to be able to change his type. It has remained constant over the years and he doubts it will change at all.

Let’s see. Joy is younger than him by a year. He always acts up like an oppa to her.

“Yaa. I’m your oppa.” He had always declared to her. “Listen to oppa Sooyoung ah.”

It is apparent that she does not fit the ideal type.

She is not his type.

Well maybe, she did feel like a noona at times.

But still. It’s Park Joy. It is wrong. Just plain wrong. He reminded himself this all day.

Joy cleared her hand and then cupped Sungjae’s silly face letting his lips formed almost a fish like expression as she turned it away from her and directed it towards the girls. “He likes noona okay girls?”

She then continued on. “He is too childish, that’s why he needs matured girls. Even now I need to answer the question for him.” She rolled her eyes annoyingly.

For some reason, he felt upset. He means like his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter