Chapter 34 - One more step

Love is Friendship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tris held the flower in her hand but she had no idea what it looked like. All she could see right now was the boy in front of her, telling her he wanted her to be his. The boy she loved for as long as she could remember.

~~~~~~~

“This is how I wanted to confess my feelings to you Tris, not the way I did in New York”, Kihyun said, “I know that was wrong of me and I am sorry”. Tris was still silent. She was not saying anything or even looking at the flower he gave her. “All these years Kihyun”, Tris said, “Why didn’t you ever say anything?”, she asked. “Because I was stupid and afraid”, he said, “If you rejected me, I would have lost my best friend and the girl I loved all at once. So I hid my feelings and hoped they would go away. But they never did, they grew stronger and deeper”.

Tears streamed down Tris’ cheeks, “All this time, you hid the way you felt”, she said “Did you never wonder about how, the girl who spent her entire life with you, felt? Did you never wonder why she spent every moment of that life with just one person? Her childhood and her youth were all with just one boy. Did you never think maybe, just maybe, she wanted to go through her adulthood with that same boy? All those times that boy patted her head or she fell asleep in his arms, did you never wonder if those moments made her heart flutter?”, Tris asked, “Did you never think the only thing, the girl you loved needed, was you?”

Kihyun’s heart was now racing. He could not believe what Tris was saying. He had not expected a confession in return. Maybe sometimes he wondered if Tris felt something for him, but he never thought she felt that strongly. “I didn’t think Tris”, Kihyun said taking a step closer to Tris, “I’m sorry”. Tris looked down at her flower, “Is that all you can say?”, Tris asked. Kihyun put his arms on Tris’ waist. “I love you”, he said, “the boy whose heart fluttered ,every time he patted your head or you fell asleep in his arms, loves you”.  Tris smiled through her tears, “I love you too”, she said.

Kihyun pulled Tris into his arms and hugged her tight. He was overwhelmed by emotion and realized he didn’t truly feel happiness until this very moment. “Tris”, Kihyun said backing out of their hug so he could see her face. He still kept his arms around her. She looked up at him, her eyes sparkling with tears. She was so beautiful, he thought. She looked at him with wonder, waiting for him to speak and he got nervous again. He liked that she still made him nervous, no matter how comfortable they were with each other; she still managed to make his palms sweaty and his heart race. 

“Will you be my girlfriend?”, Kihyun asked. Tris still looked at him, no change in her expression. He was a bundle of nerves waiting for her reply. He was more nervous now, than during his Starship audition. Tris took a deep breath and finally smiled, “Yes”, she said. “Yes?”, Kihyun asked unsure if he heard correctly. “Yes, I would love to be your girlfriend”, Tris said. Kihyun felt his heart leap out of his chest. He pulled her into him again unsure if he could ever let her go now. Finally, he thought, finally, Tris is my girl.

~~~~~~~

Kihyun and Tris were lying on the field; her head on his chest. She listened to his heartbeat while he played with her hair. “You are the reason it’s like that, you know”, Kihyun said. “What?”, Tris asked. “My heartbeat”, Kihyun said making Tris smile. “I have missed this”, he said placing a kiss on top of her head, “I have missed you, I have missed us just being together”.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter