four

My Best Friend's a Wingman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

f o u r ; unresolved resolutions

Houston, we have a problem. A minor conflict. An unresolved resolution. A misunderstandment, perse.

If there’s a way to explain to the person you like—who you seldomly conversate with—that your best friend isn’t your boyfriend like your homeroom teacher had assume, I would have marched up to Sehun and done it already. What did they usually say about assuming? Oh, they make an out of you and me. It doesn’t help that Kai and I are glued to the hips, therefore it’s so, so easy to suspect that we are an item even when we are not. Can’t a guy and a girl be best friends without people suspecting there’s something more between them? Why must society be so adamant that opposite friends can’t stay friends because feelings will develop?

I’m frustrated and my frustration can be clearly interpreted in the way I march to our school’s swim lockers right after the last school bell rings. The air is subtly cooler and is filled with the smell of pool’s chlorine. I fold my arms, searching for a familiar face but he is nowhere to be seen. My self-consciousness increases as boys on the swim team pass by me. Their spandex and wrapped towels contradicts with the way I’m fully clothed. My cheeks grow warmer like the few times I’ve witnessed the sculpted bodies of some these swimmers.

When I begin to think that Kai was stuck in detention, a hand taps on my shoulder. I turn around. “Kai—”

“Nope, sorry. Just me,” apologizes Vernon, though his unapologetic face and pleased grin indicate otherwise. Vernon is one of the good looking guys at our school due to his mixed ethnicities—half White, half Korean—that made him gorgeously exquisite. He’s popular with girls because he’s quite a swim athletic, but his confidence is borderline cocky and exasperating. Vernon is someone Kai considers as his “bro” (his words, not mine) although there’s a bit of tense competition when they’re in the pool. I, however, am not fond of his character.

“So, what brings Kai’s precious bestie over to see me?” He drapes his arm over my shoulders, leaving me with no personal space. Good thing he’s changed out of his spandex into normal attire otherwise I’d feel even more invaded.

I wiggle out of his embrace. My pointed stare casts in his direction, yet he appears even more amused. My voice is full of irritation when I reply, “Who says I’m here to see you?”

His head tips back as he cracks up. “Ah, I’ve missed this feistiness of yours.”

“That’s good to know.”

His brown eyes gleam in mischievous. “How come you never say yes when I ask you on dates?”

“Because I mistakenly believed you’d get the hint by the 6th ‘no,’” I respond drily.

“I am a someone who is unsatisfied when he doesn’t get what he wants.” Vernon taps on my nose with his index finger. I instinctively swats his hand away. “So, how about dinner with me? Sunday night?”

“She doesn’t want to go with you.” A deep voice intervenes, answering for me. Kai stands between us to shield me from Vernon. His damp hair and the towel hanging around his shoulder are enough clues to fill me in that he was spare from a detention today.

“Thanks but I can handle myself just fine.” I gently push Kai away from my view, considering how his overprotectiveness is pretty unnecessary. “Vernon, I don’t want to go with you.”

As always, Vernon takes me billionth decline good-naturedly. “Skylar Hwang, breaking my heart yet again. One day I will get a yes from you.”

“We’ll see,” I counter, watching him sauntering toward the exit but not before a self-assured wink aims straight at me. When he’s out of sight, Kai share a knowing glance with me. I shrug. Don’t get me wrong, Vernon isn’t entirely despicable. He’s a decent person, but he just doesn’t know how to give up. Pushy guys aren’t my preference. Plus, I think he enjoys getting a reaction out of me rather than is actually interested.

“Sorry about him,” Kai comments, like the other times Vernon talks to me.

Shaking my head, I assure, “No worries.”

“What brings you here anyway? We usually meet at the parking lot.”

“Oh right! I almost forgot ‘cause of Vernon.” Looking around, there’s a few students hanging around the locker. Although they pay no attention to us, I don’t want to risk having somebody eavesdropping. “Let’s talk in your car.”

 

•   •   •   •   •   •   •

 

In the car, Kai agrees that it sounded like a problem as soon as I had explained to him my concern. This is why I truly appreciate our friendship. He doesn’t dismiss the worries I bring up and despite how embarrassing or silly the conflict is, we tell each other everything on our mind. We would discuss more but because Kai had agreed to study together this evening, the issue is postponed for later discussion

“Are these the infamous flashcards?” Kai holds up the colorful index cards, grinning widely. The ones that costed us our tardiness this morning. We have stationed ourselves in my living room with our work on one side of the table and snacks on the other side.

I take those cards from him, shuffling them out of order. “Yes. Have you went over the vocabs this unit?”

He nods, determined. “I have. Quiz me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter