two

My Best Friend's a Wingman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

t w o ; day one of wingmanning

“Mom! Dad! I’m leaving!” I call out to them. I pass by Ethan, my brother who is turning twelve this year, and ruffle his hair. He has been growing it into wavy locks that fall above his shoulders. “Be good lil’ bro.”

He lets out a noise of irritation in reply. He’s at the stage in life where it’s apparently uncool to be affectionate with his family. Regardless, that hasn’t stop us from making a fuss over him.

I wait beside my mailbox until Kai comes. I usually carpool with him on days he doesn’t have morning practice. Kai got his license a little over a year ago, as soon as he turned sixteen because he told me that was his ticket to “teenage freedom.” On the other hand, I’ve been delaying on getting my license as much as I can. Being in control of a vehicle is such a terrifying concept to me, so I want to wait until I’m really ready to be out on the roads by myself. Until then, Kai and my parents have the honor of being my chauffeur.

It was a short wait, due to Kai’s punctual nature. As I buckle in my seat belts, the first thing he says to me upon seeing each other is, “You were in my dream last night.”

See, if that confession was said by any other boys, it would be romantic and my heart would be fluttering. But my past appearances in my best friend’s dreams include situations like me drowning and him too busy with the fondue fountain to save me. Or the time he dreamed about me and Snoop Dogg having an epic rap battle, in which I, unfortunately, lost.

“What is it this time?” I humor him, “A gorilla biting my head off and using my skull as a necklace?”

He laughs at this. “No, but that would’ve been interesting. Strangely, Sehun was in it, too.”

This has my attention. “So what happened in your dream?”

He gives me a knowing look at my apparent eagerness. “Do you want to know?”

“Of course I fuc—” I clear my throat, “Yes. Please.”

“It was elaborated. I can’t remember most of it but the main plot was that Sehun and I were held as hostages. You had the decision to save one of us by shooting me or him.”

“So?” My curiosity increases. “I saved Sehun and shot you right?”

He fake scoffs, putting his hand on his chest as he feigns hurt. “Wow, 5 years of friendship and you throw me away just like that? At least dream-you wouldn’t betray me for a boy.”

“Your dreams ,” I tell him. “To be fair, dream-me is more loyal than dream-you. You once let me drown over a fondue fountain.”

Kai finds this hilarious as he signals and turns into our school’s parking lot. “Forreals though, what would you do in that situation?”

“Easy. I kick the asses of the people who held you guys hostage, then get both of you out of there with my superhuman strength ‘cause I’m badass like that. Girl power and everything,” I say to Kai, because I don’t feel like revealing the real answer. Plus, it’s not like he doesn’t already know what I would say. He just want me to admit it myself regarding who I would choose between the two of them, to boost his ego or something. His head is already big enough from the daily compliments he receives from everyone else. “Thanks for the ride.”

 

•   •   •   •   •   •   •

 

School is average as any other day, but things are little different on my ten minute break. Usually, Kai and I would just stand at one of our lockers, get the textbooks for our next class, then chat until the warning bell rings. Today, as I’m switching out my books at my locker, I do a double take. Kai is walking in the hallway and heading towards me, but that’s not the strange part. The person that he’s tal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter