twelve

My Best Friend's a Wingman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

t w e l v e ; gray clouds 

This has been the most overwhelming event of my life and nothing genuinely overwhelming has happened.

My steps grow heavy on the steeper parts of the hike. Our path is not crowded, despite being one of the popular trails people choose to go to. Occasionally, there’s a scattered number of people going down the opposite direction, most likely leaving the trail. I think it’s because people prefer to hike before the sun rises or around the time the sun isn’t burning our skin off due to the heat. Today, even though it is a little after noon, the weather is cool and clear without any indications of wind. The clouds have been shielding over the sun so sunglasses and hats are not necessary. There are plenty of shades from the trees towering over people. I think we got lucky because it’s a perfect day to hike.

“Do you hike often Skylar?”

My attention sways to the voice that belongs to Sehun. My breathing is unsteady—partially because my beating heart isn’t making it easier around his presence—due to how I’ve been trying to keep up my pace with these guys. I’m naturally slower because my legs are not as long as theirs, resulting in shorter strides. My reply is subtly breathy, “Not often. Just sometimes with my family and Kai. How about you?”

“I hike at least once a month. Sometimes alone if no one is willing to go with me. It’s very peaceful, which I really like. My favorite thing to do is go hiking when there’s a sunset or sunrise. Best part of the experience is reaching the top right when the view is perfect.” He glances cautiously at me, as though realizing that he has said too many things about himself. “Sorry, I’m boring you out, aren’t I?”

I shake my head in response. “No, not at all. That sounds incredible.”

He gives me a blinding smile and I’m donezo. I’ve underestimate how lethal it is to talk to the person you like.

“So, you and Kai are pretty close?” He asks me. Instinctively, I peek at my best friend, who is several feet ahead of me and talking to his swimmate. I can’t tell whether he’s purposely walking faster so I can be alone with Sehun, or Sehun is purposely slowing his pace to match mine. Maybe it’s both, or maybe it’s neither of those. I should stop overthinking everything.

“We’ve been friends for a long time,” I say, and the years of friendship flash through my head. Us messing around at formal dances, me in his car for the first time after he passed his license, him sleeping over because his sister was at an overnight field trip and his dad had work. “Are you and Vernon close?” I ask in return, because it’s a question I’ve been wanting to hear the answer to.

“We have the same classes over the years but didn’t hang out much until this year.” Sehun opens the cap of his steel water container, taking a small gulp. I’m suddenly reminded of how thirsty I am, but my water bottle is located in Kai’s backpack. I don’t really want to this talk I’m having with Sehun to end yet. So unless I’m seconds away from fainting due to dehydration, I can wait a couple minutes.

It’s hard getting to know people. I want to know Sehun more but I have no clue what to dive into. His favorite subject? His dreams? Is he a coffee or a tea person? What are his fears? What was the last movie that made him cry? I want to know the all small details and the big things that define him as a person.

Except by the time I am ready to do it, Kai and Vernon release sounds of excitement. I switch my attention ahead of me, wondering what the commotion is. Kai is kneeling down on the ground, ruffling the stone gray fur of a husky. The husky wags its tail back and forth as it sniffs Vernon enthusiastically, who is calling out encouraging phrases like, “Hey, buddy. Look what a good dog you are.”

“Oh my god,” I blurt, fasten up my speed to reach them. When I join them, my heart melts at the presence of a dog.

“Is it a boy or a girl? What’s the name of this superstar?” Kai asks the owner, still running his palm above the husky’s back. The owner looks about his mid-twenties with an athletic built. I assume it’s a frequent occurrence that he hikes with his dog.

“His name is Thor.”

Thor jumps up, balancing his hind legs and sticks his tongue out to my face. The touch tickles and produces me to giggle. Huskies are a big dog breed so I’m not surprised when his whole body is as tall as me.

The owner chides him as though the husky contains the ability understand the human language. “Thor, you’re not supposed to jump on people you just met.”

“It’s okay, I don’t mind.” I smile and pat Thor’s head. I feel like my day’s been made, and nothing else can really top this.

A sneeze resonates through the air. Everyone turns around to see Sehun standing approximately ten feet away, covering his face with his elbow from the sneeze. He removes his arm, and frowns at us. Like a full-on, cute pout. I lied, it can’t get better any than that.

“I’m allergic to dogs, but Thor is really cute. I can only love him from afar,” he explains, projecting his voice so we can hear him from that distance. Oh, that’s right. I remember him telling me that when we talked in the hallways. In fact, I know this beforehand like every other few facts I have of Sehun, but have momentarily forgotten it because I was distracted by the unexpected appearance of a dog.

Moments later, we all have to say our farewells to Thor and his owner so they can resume their exit down the trail. Too bad that they’re not going the same direction. Even if they are, I don’t think they would hike with us because we’re strangers and one member of our group can’t be physically close to Thor. I totally understand Sehun’s allergy though, because my body cannot behave normally around pollens from flowers. Sehun wave Thor as he briefly passes by with his owner, who is walking him by the leash. His face has the look of regretful adoration.

Vernon wrap his arm around Sehun’s shoulder. “You okay, man? Your eyes look a little bit watery. Is it ‘cause you couldn’t pet the dog?” He jokes, wearing an impish grin. It’s obvious to all of us that it’s part of the allergic reaction.

“You notice? I almost teared up because I got so sad.” He sniffs, going along with Vernon’s earlier accusation.

Vernon places comforting pats on his back. “There, there.”

 

•   •   •   •   •   •   •

 

 

“Whose idea was it that we go hiking? Why couldn’t we do something with less exercising?” Vernon grumbles through bites of his granola bar, dragging his feet across the ground. It’s been almost an hour since we started on this trail, and I really can’t disagree with him. I’m beginning to break a sweat, but at least any of the mishaps I worried would happen haven’t occurred. I could be jinxing it right now.

“You can swim multiple laps but you can’t walk for a couple miles?” Kai points out. “Do you need a straw?”

Vernon’s face contorts in confusion. “Why would I need a straw?”

Kai deadpans, “So you can finally it up.”

Sehun coughs, but it sounds more like he’s trying to disguise a startled laugh. Vernon pretends to kick Kai but stations his leg on the ground right before he makes an impact. Sehun assures him, “Don’t worry. We’re almost at the top.”

Shortly after, we near the top of the hill. Sehun’s palm flattens against the small of my back, and my cheeks heat at the touch. “Careful,” he cautions kindly. “It’s a little steeper and easier to trip here.”

“Thank you,” I shyly mumble, watching my steps and turning my head the other way to avoid anyone seeing the color on my face. I recently drank water but it suddenly feels like I need to a couple more sips to cool myself down.

“Finally!” Vernon celebrates as he punches his fist in the air. The temperature is significantly lower at the top, but the air is refreshing. The city view can be seen from here, and it’s breathtaking. Oddly, the greenery contrasts with the dark hue of the sky. The clouds smother against one another, emitting a stormy atmosphere.

I turn to Kai, who’s tugging his track jacket on for warmth. I smirk at him, recalling the small argument we had on the phone when I told him to bring a jacket just in case it gets cold. He hung up on me after I kept on pushing the topic. I persistently dialed his number on repeat until he begrudgingly picked up the phone to agree that, “Okay I’ll bring a goddamn jacket.” Because he notices my not-so-subtle triumphant grin, he rolls his eyes though the corner of his lip twitches upwards. I vocal my concern,“The sky doesn’t look good right now.”

He squints his eyes to examine the view abov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter