Chapter 1

Monster Hunter

This couldn't be happening. It had to be a dream. Hoseok blinked once, twice. No it was still happening.

Hoseok felt his throat tighten in fear. How was this possible?

He felt his blood run cold and his skin prickle as the creature made its way up his body. It's eyes were blood red and it released a long hissing noise that sent shudders down Hoseok's spine.

He began to hyperventilate, air disappearing.

No, no! This had to be some horrible nightmare. It just couldn't be happening.

Giant spiders don't exist in real life.

Hoseok closed his eyes as the hissing grew louder, it rang in his ears. He felt tears slide down his cheeks but he didn't dare wipe them away. He also didn't dare open his eyes, he couldn't it was too frightening. He lay frozen wondering how this had happened.

He had been on his way to a cafe. It had just opened up not far from the dance studio and Hoseok was curious enough to go visit. After dance practice, he said goodbye to his fellow dance partners and hurried toward the cafe.

He cut through an alleyway, not the least bit worried. He had taken this path before and he knew there wasn't much to fear. The homeless that littered the alleyways didn't appear until nightfall, usually looking for a place to rest by then. There was hardly any vermin either. Hoseok was confident he would be fine.

Then suddenly it had happened so fast. Hoseok tripped over a crack in the pavement stumbling to stay upright then landing by some trash cans. His head banged against one, nearly knocking him unconscious.

The impact of his head against the metal can created ringing in his ears along with an explosion of pain. He gasped and pulled himself away from the trash can landing on the grimy wet pavement. He struggled to keep his head up, his eyesight had turned blurry. Hoseok had reached for his phone in his pocket when suddenly the trash cans had rattled beside him and out emerged a hideous creature, born of his worst nightmares.

And now that giant spider was on him, perched on his chest. It's bony legs stabbing parts of his body, as it hissed with its fangs.

He couldn't believe this was how he would die. Alone in an alleyway with a concussion and a giant spider ready to make him dinner.

He breathed in and out as he felt thick saliva from the spider’s fangs drip onto his neck. He dared a peek seeing the spider moving back raising its behind to expose fangs as long as his forearm. He nearly fainted.

It was over.

Goodbye everyone. He thought, fists clenching as he prepared for the piercing pain of the fangs stabbing his body.

The spider hissed and with a smooth motion a fang stabbed his stomach.

He cried out as he felt the pain course through his body. It felt like a thousand needles were stabbing his skin all at once. He realized it was probably the venom, already going into his bloodstream. First it would paralyze then it would kill. He spasmed as his blood burned like red hot fire.

He opened his eyes staring at the clear sky.

It had been such a nice day.

He closed his eyes and his world went into black stillness.


“Looks like he's finally waking up.” A voice said.

“Why is he even here? We should have dropped him off at a hospital.” Another voice said sounding annoyed.

“And how would we explain the giant hole where a spider bit him?” The first voice retorted.

“I don't know, but this is foolish.” The annoyed voice said sounding farther away.

Hoseok struggled to open his eyes. He couldn't see, he couldn't speak. His throat burned, drier than a desert. He would kill for some water and some painkillers, he realized as he felt his head and stomach throb with pain.

He managed a whimper as he tried to lift himself up.

“Whoa there!” The first voice exclaimed. He felt cool hands on his shoulders that were bare as they pushed him back down. “At least open your eyes first.” The voice teased.

Hoseok cracked his eyes open gently. Feeling as if they had been glued shut. He blinked rapidly as his eyes adjusted to the dim light. He looked around and saw he was in some bedroom, it was a pale blue with posters of foreign rock bands and Korean idols. There was a two adjacent windows that were shut with the curtains drawn, making the room darker. In the corner there was a man in a chair looking grim as his bright eyes fixed upon Hoseok.

Who was that?

Where was he exactly?

This couldn't be heaven could it?

“Hello there.” The voice from before said and Hoseok turned his head to the left, staring at a man with soft brown hair and matching soft brown eyes.

“My name is Kim Seokjin.” He smiled passively.

“I...I...Where am I?” Hoseok rasped. He coughed, his throat was killing him.

Seokjin handed him a glass of water, helping him sit up to drink it.

Hoseok sputtered, choking on the water and Seokjin pulled it back with concern.

“Don't drink too fast, you'll choke.”

Hoseok nodded and Seokjin gave him the rest. The water was fresh and cold, soothing his throat and making him feel a lot better.

“Do you remember your name?” Seokjin asked as he set down the water by a bed stand.  

“Yeah, Jung Hoseok.”

“Do you remember anything else?” Seokjin asked.

“Yeah, I remember...everything.” Hoseok shuddered as he recalled the spider crawling on him and piercing his skin. “A giant spider killed me.”

“Did it now?”

Hoseok turned to the new voice. It belonged to the man, with fluffy blonde hair and dull dark colored eyes, in the chair.

“Who are you?” Hoseok demanded, he didn't like the way the man was looking at him.

The man smirked as if knowing he got to Hoseok. He looked Hoseok up and down before retorting. “Who are you?”

Hoseok scoffed. Suddenly he was feeling good enough to get up and give the man a piece of his mind. He was tempted as he watched the man's challenging glare and mocking grin.

“Yoongi, you can leave now.” Seokjin ordered, sensing the tension between the two.

Yoongi stood up and shot Hoseok one last look of distaste before leaving.

“He's pleasant .”

Seokjin smiled. “That's Min Yoongi, don't worry he looks at everything like that, even his own reflection.”

Hoseok laughed then winced, grabbing his waist. “Good to know.”

“I'm going to clean your dressing alright?” Seokjin motioned to the bandage above his navel near his intestines. Hoseok nodded.

Seokjin worked quickly peeling it off and revealing a puncture in his skin that was an angry red as if inflamed.

“Spider bites sure are nasty.” Seokjin commented. “It will probably be swollen for a while until the fang falls out.”

Hoseok shivered. The fang was in his body? That huge thing?

“I'm impressed.” Seokjin smiled once he was done. “Most people would be filled with questions.”

“ I am.” Hoseok said, patting his bandage down. “I just can't seem to comprehend what happened.”

“Well for someone in shock you seem to be doing just fine.”

Seokjin straightened out the plain grey sheets and pulled them up to Hoseok’s chest. “Get some rest, I'll come back with food and I'll try and answer everything.”

Hoseok nodded and laid back down. Before Seokjin could leave he called.

“Am I safe here?”

Seokjin turned around looking hesitant before nodding and leaving again.

Somehow that wasn't convincing and he tossed and turned before eventually falling asleep.


His dreams placed him in the same position he had woken up to. He sat up and looked down, the wound was gone and he was fully dressed. He made his way out of the bed and to the bedroom door.

It was locked.

He knocked on the door growing frantic when no one came.

Was he locked in forever?

He tried windows, but they were boarded shut. He smacked the window in desperation. “Let me out!” He cried. “Please!”

A hissing noise that was too familiar rang in his ears and he turned to his bed. It gave away, breaking in half, to reveal a giant spider with the face of Seokjin.

The horrible creature was twice the size of the spider that had attacked him, it’s long legs splaying out across the floor.

Seokjin’s face smiled evilly as he scurried toward Hoseok.

“You said it was safe! You said I was safe!” Hoseok screamed as he ran for the door. He tripped landing face down as the hissing mixed with laughter grew closer.

“Hey. Get up.”

Hoseok looked up at the chair in the corner. There was Yoongi with the same piercing eyes that burned his skin.

“I can't.” Hoseok cried, his stomach hurt and his head hurt.

The hissing laughter was right next to his ear, it was all over.

“Get up, stop being a baby.”

“But…” Seokjin? He whirled his head around and the spider was gone.

“Wake up!”

He was suddenly shook from the shoulder.

Huh?

Hoseok opened his eyes.

He looked around, he was in the same dim room as before. He relaxed, there was no spiders with human faces. Thank the lord.  

“Hey don't close your eyes again.” He was given another shake.

Hoseok looked to his right, seeing Yoongi looking down at him in contempt, a tray in his hands.

“Sorry.” Hoseok sat up with a wince.

Yoongi placed the tray on his lap, opening lids of seaweed soup and rice.

“I thought Seokjin was coming back?”

“Jin's busy.” Yoongi replied curtly. He motioned towards an empty cup on the bedstand. Hoseok grabbed it and handed it to him as he refilled it with a pitcher of water.

“Thanks.” Hoseok said as he took a sip.

Yoongi nodded.

Hoseok looked around the tray before meeting Yoongi's eye.

“Something wrong?”

“You got any kimchi?” Hoseok smiled weakly.

Yoongi snorted. “Sorry your highness. We're all out of kimchi.”

Hoseok turned red with embarrassment. It was already enough they had saved him, why did he have to open his mouth like that and demand food too?

“I didn't mean to...This is fine.” Hoseok waved his hands in defense, then began eating.

“Whatever.” Yoongi replied and took a seat on the chair.

Hoseok felt strange with Yoongi's eyes trained on him like a bug under a microscope. He tried to focus on his food, but the taste eluded him. After the terrible nightmare he had, he didn't have much of an appetite. He ate anyway, making sure none would go to waste. He didn't want to seem more ungrateful than he probably already seemed.

When he finished up Yoongi stood up and took the tray away.

“Um…” Hoseok spoke up. Yoongi stared at him. “When will Seokjin be back?”

Yoongi smirked one side of his mouth turning up. “You sure ask for Jin a lot.”

Hoseok looked down fiddling with the bedsheets. “Well that's only because he's the only person I know here.”

Yoongi stared at him with his eyebrows raised.

“You too, I guess.” Hoseok added.

“Well, Seokjin probably won't be back until nightfall and even then he'll probably be too tired to act as a nurse for you.” Yoongi said dryly. Hoseok flinched at his cold tone.

“I didn't mean to... impose on you guys like this.” Hoseok mumbled. He gasped as he tried to sit up straighter. He laid back down feeling weak and dumb. “I just don't know where I am or when I'll be able to go home. I...don't even know who you guys are either Seokjin was supposed to tell me.”

Yoongi stared at him, his expression unreadable.

Hoseok felt hot under his gaze. It seemed to look right through him, making his skin itch. Was he wondering if he was telling the truth or not?

“I'll be back.” He finally said and left with the tray slamming the door behind him.

Hoseok let out a breath he hadn't known he had been holding.

What was up with him? How he wished Seokjin would come back. He didn't know if he could take Yoongi's eyes anymore.

The man came back just as Hoseok had almost drifted off and the sound of the door opening and closing made him sit up.

“Hey.” Hoseok greeted him with a nod.

Yoongi said nothing taking a seat on the chair then looking at him to begin.

“Where am I?”

“In our house.”

“Where?”

“In Seoul.”

“Is it just you and Seokjin?”

“There's others here.” Yoongi replied. “They're just busy.”

“Doing what?”

“Their jobs.” Yoongi answered, vaguely.

Hoseok crossed his arms. “I don't suppose I can ask what job?”

Yoongi smirked. “Nope.”

“And I shouldn't bother with asking for Seokjin’s either right?”

Yoongi shook his head.

“You guys are all drug dealers.” Hoseok concluded.

Yoongi almost smiled, but his lips quickly turned downward. “Why would you think that?”

“Well first of all, you already own your own house? You must have a very good salary to own a house in this economy. You say you can't talk about your jobs and you probably won't let me leave this room in case I rat you out to the cops right?”

“Very good. But why would we even pick you up in the first place?”

Hoseok tapped his chin. “Maybe you were making a deal in the alleyway and figured I would be conscious enough to be a witness and therefore report you?”

Yoongi chuckled. “Right.”

“Wait I got it right?!” Hoseok gaped.

“No.”

“Then if you're not drug dealers, what's so secret about your jobs?”

Yoongi sighed. “Listen Jung Hoseok. You're an average Korean fellow. If you want to stay that way, you'll keep the questions to yourself, understand?”

“So you are drug dealers.”

Yoongi rolled his eyes and stood up. “I think I'm done here.”

Hoseok wanted to call him back, but figured no company would be better than bad company. He pulled up the bed sheets instead and settled in to sleep.

“Seokjin is coming back early.” Yoongi informed him before leaving. “Looks like he'll be your nurse tonight after all.”

Hoseok didn't reply simply waved his arm to show he had heard and let him go.

He couldn't wait for Seokjin to return. Maybe then he would get better answers.


Unfortunately, when Seokjin arrived he was as secretive as Yoongi.

“Sorry, I can't really specify the details of my job to average people.”

There again was that word, average .

What was wrong with being average?

“Okay then what about the spider? Was that real?”

Seokjin nodded. “There are spiders that big in real life. Actually that was a baby. You should see the mother.”

Hoseok paled. “I don't think I want to.”

Seokjin chuckled.

“Do you know when I can leave?”

Seokjin smiled. “Got someone waiting for you?”

“No.” Hoseok shook his head. “I just don't want to burden you guys. I think I annoyed Yoongi a lot.”

Seokjin laughed, his laugh was almost like the sound of a squeaky sponge on a glass door. It was contagious, Hoseok found himself laughing too.

“Yoongi's always annoyed, don't worry about him. I brought you here, so I'll decide when to kick you out.” He patted his arm in reassurance. “Anyways, you can probably go once the fang falls out. So maybe in a couple of days. Maybe tomorrow.”

Hoseok nodded. “Okay, thank you.”

Seokjin got up and made his way out promising to bring kimchi in the morning.

So he had heard , Hoseok thought embarrassed as Seokjin let the door close behind him. He sighed and laid down in the bed. Hopefully the fang fell out tomorrow, he really wanted to go home and forget everything. Seokjin was nice and all, but he probably thought he was a burden, his burden. Then there was Yoongi, who looked at him as if he was useless. He didn't want to hear anymore sour comments or witty remarks from the man.

He just wanted to go home and recall this as only a long nightmare.