Getting Even

Royal Ice

Still on hiatus but posting this here quickly.

Just a little something something I wrote for the TaeNy 1527 celebrationMight not be that good but... I tried. Haha. PDF link available in chapter 40.

------

 

 
 
to tipco for inviting me to be a part of the celebration and for being a faithful reader
to freefall for telling me to go for it and for supporting me all the way
to lau for organizing the celebration and giving everyone a chance to contribute and be recognized
to the other authors included in this celebration for giving your best and writing awesome stories 
 
--
 
“YAH!”

 

Taeyeon laughed as she pumped her legs harder, creating more distance between her and her pursuer.

 

The deafening voice slowly began to fade but Taeyeon had to make sure that she wasn’t going to get caught. Without slowing down, she let her eyes scan the hall for a place to hide.

 

Further down the hall, she spotted an open door. Briefly turning her head back to check, she caught sight of a figure hunched down with shoulders heaving up and down. She laughed again.

 

She jogged to the open door and entered the room before slamming the door shut and locking it.

 

She panted as she tried to catch her breath after that intense after-lunch workout before jumping and punching the air. “SUCCESS!”

 

Her celebration was short-lived, however, when a voice was heard behind her.

 

“Excuse me, young lady. Mind explaining why you’re in my class, jumping like a kid and shouting like there’s no tomorrow?”

 

She turned around, only to see a class of about 50 people snickering and whispering while looking at her and a professor staring intently at her with eyebrows raised.

 

“Uh… I…” She racked her brain for any kind of excuse. She looked around the classroom and found it odd that her best friend was there, looking at her with an amused smile on her face. Nevertheless, she tried to ask for help; without any kind of hand gesture and no lip movement. Just intensely staring at the other girl’s eyes, hoping to get the message across. However, that was proven useless when her best friend didn’t even bat an eyelash nor move an inch to get her out of trouble.

 

Scrunching her nose, she finally thought of one, but it was something she was going to regret later. All the same, she still went with it. “I… I want to sit-in.”

 

The professor smiled. “Alright then, I’m always willing to teach more people. However, I do not tolerate tardiness. Having said that, if you want to sit-in again next time, please make sure you are in before me, do you understand?”

 

Taeyeon nodded meekly.

 

“Okay. Please take a seat.”

 

Breathing a sigh of relief, she quickly scanned for an empty seat and found one just behind her best friend.

 

She sat down and looked up at the board, groaning immediately right after.

 

Advanced Calculus.

 

-

 

“So… tell me,” she looked up and found her best friend leaning on her table. “Why are you really here? Didn’t you say you were going home after lunch since your afternoon classes were cancelled?”

 

The reminder of her after-lunch activities brought a smile to her face without realizing that it looked more like a disgusting smirk.

 

“Ew, Taeng. Just… ew. What exactly did you do?” Eyes narrowed in suspicion.

 

“What? Nothing,” she answered innocently.

 

Those eyes never lost suspicion as it narrowed further, reducing them to mere slits before growing ever so big a half-second later. “Omo! Did you peek at the locker rooms again?!”

 

It was her eyes’ turn to widen in surprise. “Wha­– Yah! That was one time! One time! And I told you it was an accident!”

 

By the look her best friend was giving her, she wasn’t convinced. Not one bit. “On second thought, don’t tell me what you did.” She turned around and headed for the door. “Please control you urges next time, Taeng.”

 

Taeyeon scrambled to her feet and hastily grabbed her bag before running after the girl while shouting, “Yah! Soonkyu-yah! It was an accident! You have to believe me!”

 

-

 

She rushed towards her best friend and hid behind her, panting in between laughter.

 

“What are you doing?” her best friend asked.

 

“Shh! I’m hiding from someo– don’t look back! Pretend I’m not here. Just keep on eating.”

 

“Wouldn’t I look weird talking to no one?”

 

“You’re already weird Sunny-ah, it won’t make any differen– no, no, no! I’m sorry! I was joking!” She frantically tried to get a hold on Sunny’s shirt as the girl abruptly stood up, making her visible for whole cafeteria to see.

 

Too late. The person she was hiding from was already on the other side of the table and hiding behind Sunny would be pointless.

 

“Tiffany! Gah!” She hastily stood up and ran for her life, leaving a confused Sunny and a fuming Tiffany.

 

She eventually stopped running when she felt her legs aching. She was tired. Tah-yurd. She was out of breath again. She took the time to catch her breath.

 

Bad idea.

 

A hand pulled on her arm to make her turn around. A furious Tiffany greeted her, face mere inches away from hers. She held her breath.

 

“Give it back,” Tiffany said, her breath brushing against Taeyeon’s lips.

 

Oh gosh, does she even know what she’s doing to me? Taeyeon’s whole body turned into jelly and would’ve given out if not for Tiffany’s hold on her arm. “Y-you know that’s impossible, r-right?”

 

Tiffany eyes’ thinned and her lips pursed. “Why did you steal it in the first place?”

 

A small smile played on Taeyeon lips. “Because I can. And I would do it again if given a chance, but nothing beats the first.”

 

“But that was my first kiss! How could you steal my first kiss?!”

 

It’s time. Taeyeon pried Tiffany’s hand off her arm, held it and reached out for the other one. She took a minute to organize her thoughts before taking a deep breath and looking at Tiffany’s eyes. “I only did that because you stole something of mine too.”

 

Tiffany was bewildered. She never stole anything! She shook Taeyeon hands off hers. “What?! I never stole anything from you!”

 

“You did,” Taeyeon insisted. “More than a year ago.”

 

“What?!” Tiffany didn’t have a good memory but she was 100% sure she never stole anything from anyone. “What are you talking about, Taeyeon?”

 

Taeyeon held her hands again. “More than a year ago, a clumsy girl stepped on my foot and almost spilled her milk on my new shirt because she was running late for a class. I helped her up and asked her if she was okay. She gave me the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. My heart was about to beat right out of my chest and I couldn’t understand what was happening.”

 

She paused to see Tiffany’s reaction. Taeyeon only smiled when Tiffany was looking at her with wide eyes and mouth agape.

 

She squeezed the hands in hers before continuing. “We became friends and as we started to hang out with each other, I began to understand what I was feeling.” She looked straight into Tiffany’s eyes. “Tiffany Hwang, you stole my heart…”

 

Tiffany’s mind slowly started to process what was happening. When everything registered, she slapped Taeyeon on the arm. “Yah! Are you confessing?”

 

“Er, yes?” That wasn’t exactly what Taeyeon was expecting to hear, but she answered, nevertheless.

 

“Well you could’ve done that first before stealing a kiss! Such a charmer you are, Kim Taeyeon!” she pretended to be angry, but really, her heart was racing at the confession.

 

Taeyeon saw right through it. She smiled and pulled Tiffany closer by the waist, surprising the other girl. “So… will you give me yours in return?”

 

“My what?”

 

“Your heart.”

 

Tiffany smiled and put her arms around Taeyeon’s neck, pulling her even closer“Oh please, Kim Taeyeon, you’ve always had it.”