Zero to Sixty in 3.5 Final

Royal Ice

A/N: Because someone has been nagging me to update, here it is. :) But I think I wrote poorly near the end. I'm not an expert in confessing (or romance) so...


 

 

Tiffany woke up the next day with a huge smile on her face. She woke up earlier than usual and prepared for driving class. She was about to get dressed when a knock on the door stopped her.

 

“Come in.”

 

The door cracked open and her dad’s head popped in. “Miyoung. No driving class for today. Taeyeon said she needed to do something important.”

 

She was sad. “O-oh. Okay. Thanks, Dad.” She forced out a smile, which her dad returned before he closed the door and left her alone.

 

Her shoulders slumped. She was so happy waking up and thinking about how’d they treat each other now after the kiss but all thoughts dispersed when her dad told her the news.

 

What’s so important that she has to cancel classes today anyway? She huffed like a kid and sat on the edge of her bed. She was in no mood to do anything now.

 

Without much to do, she decided to just go back to sleep.

 

-

 

She woke up to the sound of someone knocking on her door. She sat up and groaned. “Who is it?”

 

“Ms. Hwang?” She heard the ahjumma’s voice.

 

“Ahjumma? Come in.”

 

The house helper opened the door and walked in her room. She bowed. “Ms. Hwang, Mr. Park is asking me if you’re going to practice driving today.”

 

What? It’s too early. She looked at her clock and saw that it was already past 1PM. Oh. She didn’t even know she slept that long. Must’ve been very tired yesterday, she thought.

 

Well, I guess I could practice now and impress Taeyeon again tomorrow. She looked at the ahjumma and said, “Yes, Ahjumma, I am. Please tell him to wait for me. I’ll just freshen up.”

 

The ahjumma nodded and bowed before leaving the room.

 

-

 

It was a bright and sunny Tuesday and Tiffany was waiting inside the car for her lessons with Taeyeon. One of the office workers in the driver school gave her the keys so she could wait inside the car instead since her driving instructor wasn’t there yet. The shorter girl was unusually late but Tiffany waited patiently – and a bit nervously.

 

She woke up extra early this morning – earlier than yesterday, would you believe – just to get ready. The people in the Hwang household – Mr. Hwang included – couldn’t fathom what happened to the youngest Hwang. They were both amazed and bewildered.

 

Tiffany snapped out of her thoughts when the door to the passenger side. She was preparing to scold the other girl for being late and maybe even offer a shy smile after, so imagine her surprise when a man in his 40’s with short hair – white hair sticking out – came in and sat on what was supposed to be Taeyeon’s spot.

 

“Good morning, Ms. Hwang.” The man let out a kind smile.

 

She tried to return it but it made her look weird. “Er, morning.” She couldn’t utter anything else. Where is Taeyeon?!

 

“I’m Mr. Lee, your instructor for today. Shall we start?”

 

She nodded but wasn’t really paying any attention. Should I ask him?

 

“Okay then, please start the car.”

 

Wouldn’t that seem weird though?

 

“Ms. Hwang?”

 

But it’s okay to be curious right?

 

“Excuse me, Ms. Hwang?”

 

I mean she is my driving instructor.

 

“Hello? Ms. Hwang?”

 

She still is, right?

 

A loud honk made her jump on her seat. She looked at the man and saw him smiling apologetically.

 

“Sorry, I was calling you and you weren’t answering.”

 

“O-oh. Sorry.” She lowered her head, feeling very embarrassed, but the thoughts about Taeyeon whereabouts were still lingering inside her head.

 

“It’s fine, Miss. Shall we start now then?”

 

She nodded and quickly started the car.

 

-

 

She walked into her house and was greeted almost immediately by her dad. “Hello there, Miyoung. How was driving class?”

 

“Fine,” she muttered, but driving class was anything but that.  The engine died on her more than five times while driving in light – and I mean very light – traffic. She almost scratched another person’s car while attempting to park – which she did smoothly last week. And the car would’ve rolled downhill if it weren’t for the instructor’s fast reflexes.

 

She was distracted all morning and she wasn’t the least bit happy about it. She was doing fine last week! How can that stupid shorty have this much effect on me? Her face scrunched up in irritation.

 

Her dad chuckled at her face. “What is wrong with you, child?”

 

She shook her head. “I’m tired, Dad. Call me when it’s time for lunch.”

 

He patted her head. “Okay. Ahjumma’s just cooking. I’ll call you.”

 

She nodded her head and went upstairs to her room.

 

She rolled on her bed and sighed. Maybe she’s just busy. Heck, I shouldn’t even be bothering myself with this.

 

But the kiss.

 

Was it just a spur of the moment?

 

Something she just thought of doing because she was curious?

 

Various thoughts went through her mind and it was driving her insane. She knew she liked the girl but does the girl feel the same? She used to not care if the feeling was mutual but she kissed her!

 

I didn’t even initiate it! She did!

 

She ruffled her hair before turning to lie on her stomach and burying her face into the thick, fluffy pillow.

 

-

 

It was now a Friday and Taeyeon hasn’t come to class in four days. Tiffany was completely losing her mind over it. She hasn’t driven well since that first class with Mr. Lee and to say that Mr. Park was surprised that she bumped into one of her dad’s other cars while practicing was an understatement. The man was baffled.

 

She was almost driving like a pro last week so to see her suddenly bump a car – and almost completely take out its front bumper – made the man worry. What happened to her?

 

She didn’t go to driving class today for fear that Mr. Lee, the new driving instructor, might be experiencing trauma after she almost ended both their lives with her madwoman-like driving more than a couple of times. She felt sorry for the man but felt more sorry for herself.

 

What was she doing moping over someone who was probably enjoying her time somewhere out there?

 

And she stole a kiss before leaving too.

 

“Tsk.” Kiss and run. What the hell.

 

Sure she could text the girl, but it just doesn’t seem right. It didn’t feel right. She wanted to, but she was afraid to be rejected.

 

She lied lazily on her bed, looking at the ceiling as if it held answers to the countless questions circling her mind. Her dad tried talking her into going out with him for lunch but she kindly refused. She was in no mood to… move. Her head was hurting and so was her heart. Kind of fast to call it love but she definitely – she was sure of it – liked the girl very much.

 

And that kiss worsened it.

 

She blamed everything on that kiss. If that didn’t happen, then maybe she was still able to see Taeyeon now – with a driving license to boot. Yes, she didn’t initiate it, but it happened, and now Taeyeon’s nowhere to be seen.

 

Her phone vibrated and she ran her hand on her bed, searching for it. She held up the device in front of her and there was a tiny part of her that hoped it was a message from Taeyeon.

 

It wasn’t.

 

It was from her dad telling her to at least practice driving with Mr. Park. She sighed. Her dad really wanted her to learn how to drive. He wasn’t even mad about the dented car. He said it was part of learning.

 

She got out of bed and went to the bathroom to fix herself up.

 

-

 

“Ms. Hwang, is everything okay?”

 

She looked to her side and saw Mr. Park looking at her worriedly. They were parked at the side of the road after the man told her to do so when she yet again almost crashed into another car.

 

She sighed. “Yes, Mr. Park.”

 

The man eyed her before sighing too. “Ms. Hwang, I know I’m not part of your family, but you can still tell me everything. I have been with your family since your father married your mother and I’ve always treated you as my daughter, so I know that everything’s not okay.”

 

She didn’t say anything, but was silently thanking the man she grew up considering her second father.

 

Mr. Park continued. “Plus, you were doing fine last week until last Monday. You were even driving better than me.” He chuckled, trying to lighten up the mood.

 

Tiffany smiled a little. “Just out of my element, I guess.”

 

The man took in Tiffany’s answer and figured she needed some more time alone. “Alright. But if anything’s wrong, anything at all, please don’t hesitate to talk to your dad.”

 

She laughed at the man’s attempt to joke.

 

The man smiled. “It’s good to hear you laugh again, Ms. Hwang. But kidding aside, if there’s anything, please don’t hesitate to talk to me.”

 

She nodded and smiled gratefully.

 

-

 

Saturday eventually came and Tiffany woke up with a start. She tried blocking out any thoughts of Taeyeon and was a bit successful. She decided on asking her dad to go out for lunch today to catch up with him.

 

She walked down the stairs and surprisingly, she heard an unfamiliar – yet strangely, very familiar – voice coming from the kitchen. Curiosity got the best of her and she headed towards the source.

 

Her eyes widened when, standing in front of her – talking and laughing with her father – was the person she was hoping to not think about today.

 

Oh great.

 

Probably sensing another presence in the room, Taeyeon and Mr. Hwang turned towards the door to see Tiffany staring at them with wide eyes and mouth agape.

 

“Good morning, Tiffany.” Taeyeon smiled brightly.

 

‘Good morning, Tiffany??’ That’s all you can say??

 

Tiffany wasn’t answering and was just staring at Taeyeon.

 

“Er, Tiffany?”

 

How about explaining why you didn’t show up for class for four days!

 

Mr. Hwang got worried at his daughter’s lack of response. “Miyoung?”

 

How about explaining why you didn’t even text me!

 

Taeyeon and Mr. Hwang exchanged worried glances.

 

How about explaining why you kissed me one day then disappeared the next!

 

Mr. Hwang walked closer to his daughter and nudged her by the shoulder gently. “Miyoung. You’re making us worried. Why aren’t you saying anything?”

 

Her surprised expression eventually turned into a glare – directed to Taeyeon. The shorter of the two saw the look and gulped, feeling less worried and more scared by the second.

 

“Tiffany?” Taeyeon squeaked out.

 

No answer.

 

“Miyoung, Taeyeon has something to ask you. Answer her.”

 

A bit mad, but still curious about what the girl had to ask, she finally spoke. “What is it?”

 

Taeyeon released a sigh of relief. She’s finally talking.

 

“Oh, I’ll leave the two of your for a while, okay?”

 

Taeyeon smiled at Mr. Hwang while Tiffany only nodded, still looking at Taeyeon. Once Mr. Hwang stepped out of the kitchen, Taeyeon turned her attention to Tiffany.

 

“How are you?” She asked awkwardly.

 

I’m a mess! “Fine. You?”

 

“I’m great.”

 

Whoopie! Good for you. “Good.”

 

“How are driving lessons?”

 

Tiffany raised an eyebrow, refusing to tell the other girl about her horrible driving because that would mean indirectly confessing that she’s distracted without her.

 

“A-alright. I’m just going to assume it’s going fine.”

 

Silence.

 

Taeyeon cleared . “A-anyway, I just want to ask if you want to go to another car show with me tomorrow. I-I already asked Uncle so I…” she trailed off, not really knowing how to continue.

 

What?! How can you just barge into my house and ask me ever so casually to go to another stupid car show? Then what? You’re going to kiss me again then leave… AGAIN?!

 

Her inner self was on a rampage. It took a lot of self-control for her not to throw something at Taeyeon.

 

She’s not even going to talk about that kiss, is she?

 

She silently sighed. I knew it was just an experiment to her.

 

Not hearing an answer from the taller girl, Taeyeon dared herself to ask the girl again. “Um, Tiffany? Would you like to go with me to that car show? I-I’m entering the competition.”

 

Yeah, and that helps, how exactly? Tiffany almost scoffed.

 

Taeyeon lowered her head, not really finding this version of Tiffany very comfortable to be with.

 

Tiffany noticed her discomfort and immediately softened. How? How in the world do you have this kind of effect on me when I don’t think I even cross your mind? She sighed. “Fine, I’ll go.”

 

Taeyeon’s head snapped back up, showing a shocked face that later spread out into a wide smile.

 

I must be a fool. That smile made her smile as well.

 

-

 

Tiffany walked out of her house and saw Taeyeon leaning against her car while lazily looking at her nails. Observing the girl for a few seconds, she found it cute how Taeyeon was only wearing a pair of skinny jeans and white shirt with light blue sneakers. Adorable.

 

Hearing faint footsteps getting nearer, Taeyeon looked up from her nails and saw Tiffany walking closer to her. She smiled. “Good morning.”

 

Tiffany was still a little mad about the sudden disappearance, but figured she shouldn’t scare the girl so much. “Morning.”

 

“Ready to go?”

 

“Yup.”

 

Taeyeon opened the door for her and she smiled gratefully before hopping inside the car. She watched Taeyeon close her door and jog her way to the driver’s side before getting in as well. Taeyeon started the car and soon enough, they were on their way to the venue.

 

It was a quiet ride. One was thinking about her competition while the other was thinking about the girl beside her.

 

Seriously? We aren’t even going to talk about it? We’re just going to pretend like nothing happened? Much as she wanted to ask Taeyeon about that kiss, she was scared to know the truth. What if it was really just out of curiosity? What then? What will happen to us then?

 

She was so busy with her thoughts that she didn’t hear Taeyeon calling her name. Not until a smooth hand came in contact with her arm did she snap back into reality. She felt a tingly sensation within her as she looked at the hand and traced her way to its owner’s face.

 

“Are you okay?” She felt Taeyeon squeeze her arm a little before letting go.

 

She nodded but was a little disappointed at the loss of contact.

 

Taeyeon eyed her for a moment – as if seeing if she was really okay – before letting out a smile. “Good then. Anyway, we’re here.”

 

As the girl gestured at the building in front of them, it was only then that Tiffany realized that the engine was no longer on and that Taeyeon has already taken the keys out from the ignition. Have I been thinking to myself that long?

 

Mentally shrugging, she picked up her bag from the car floor and opened the door to go out. She slung her bag over her shoulder before closing the door. She waited for Taeyeon to lock the door before they walked side by side to enter the building.

 

They walked to a table where a tall, slender girl was sitting by. Once they were close enough, the girl looked up and smiled at them before talking to Taeyeon. “Ms. Kim?”

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

“Please sign here.” The girl gave her a piece of paper and showed her where to sign. Once Taeyeon was done, she was handed two IDs.

 

She gave one to Tiffany and put on the other one.

 

Tiffany looked at her ID and saw that it was labeled with ‘Guest.’ She then looked at Taeyeon and read ‘Participant.’

 

They were directed to an open door on the far left of the hall, where Tiffany assumed was the source of the loud music.

 

Tiffany eyes widened in amazement at the sight. It was almost the same as the car show Taeyeon brought her to last week, but it was also different at the same time. She could hear the loud music blasting as soon as she stepped foot inside the large room. Different colored lights were dancing their way to every part of the huge space. People were everywhere too. Some were talking among themselves, while others were just standing there, enjoying themselves. The difference was that the room gave out a different feel – like a more competitive feel.

 

She then remembered Taeyeon saying that she joined the competition and the difference between her ID and Taeyeon’s. “There’s a competition?”

 

Taeyeon stopped walking and looked at her. “Yeah, there is. It’s just to see who fixed up their cars the prettiest,” she chuckled. “I wanted to have a competition in my first car show too, but Dad said it’d be too much to handle.”

 

Tiffany nodded and nudged Taeyeon to start walking again. They passed by some awesome looking cars and Tiffany felt as if all the cars she saw would win. They all looked amazing! Sometimes she’d get a glimpse of a car’s interior, and although she didn’t know much about them, they still look pretty to her.

 

Taeyeon suddenly directed her attention to a specific car across the room, shining under the spotlight designated for it. Tiffany saw and instantly gasped. “PINK!”

 

She all but dragged the grinning Taeyeon towards the car, somehow managing to dodge the other guests. She squealed and jumped in delight as she came face to face with the Pink Audi R8 GT. Sure she didn’t know the model – she only saw the model name on the sign beside the car – but it was very pretty.

 

And it’s pink! PINK!

 

She went around the car, admiring every inch of it. The bumper, the fender, the tires, the rims, the side skirts… EVERYTHING. “OMG! Who owns this? I want to congratulate them early because I know they’ll win!”

 

Taeyeon laughed as Tiffany skipped towards her with a wide smile plastered on her face. Once Tiffany was finally in front of her, she pointed to the sign beside the car – the same sign where the model of the car was written. “Read it.”

 

Tiffany did as she was told and her jaw dropped when she read the owner’s name written under the car model.

 

She turned to Taeyeon with still open in shock. “C-car? Y-yours?”

 

Taeyeon smiled brightly and nodded. She walked closer to the still surprised girl. “You were right. Pink can look cool, too.”

 

Tiffany was still looking at Taeyeon with wide eyes.

 

Taeyeon chuckled then suddenly blushed. She cleared and swallowed before saying, “I figured isn’t such a bad color, especially since it’s your favorite color.”

 

Tiffany cannot process Taeyeon’s words. What is this girl saying?!

 

Looking around, Taeyeon sighed before grabbing Tiffany’s hand and pulling her to a less noisy – but not really much quieter – part of the room. It was so Taeyeon can be assured that Tiffany was going to hear every word she was going to say next.

 

“I like you.”

 

Tiffany’s brain has shutdown.

 

Taeyeon panicked when there was no reaction coming from Tiffany, but she decided to continue anyway. It was now or never, she thought. “Tiffany, I like you. I’ve liked you since…” her reddened face couldn’t possibly get any redder, “…s-since I saw the picture on your profile on Appa’s office desk a week before your first driving class.”

 

Picture? Driving class? Tiffany’s mind was slowly starting to reboot.

 

“I-I… I asked Appa if I can teach you and specifically asked him and Uncle Hwang not to tell you about it, so I think they made it look like Uncle requested for me instead.” She winced, expecting probably a slap to the face or punch to the gut – not that Tiffany was that violent. When none came, she continued. “The kiss… i-it was something unexpected but I didn’t regret doing it.”

 

Just as Taeyeon was slowly gaining confidence, Tiffany finally regained herself upon the mention of that troublesome kiss. She unconsciously brought her hand up to touch her lips, as if trying to remember how it felt to have Taeyeon’s lips on hers.

 

Taeyeon couldn’t read the expression on Tiffany’s face. She was beginning to feel scared. Scared of the reaction she might get. “I took a week leave from the company because I wanted to surprise you with that car.”

 

Tiffany’s face suddenly darkened – the complete opposite of what Taeyeon was expecting. “Yah!” A hit to the shoulder. “You made me almost kill a lot of people this week!”

 

Taeyeon felt elated when Tiffany finally spoke but was a bit confused. “How did I do that?”

 

“You made me distracted! I was wondering where you were and why you suddenly vanished after that kiss!” Tiffany said, unconsciously blurting out her worries.

 

The shorter girl felt a boost of confidence. She grinned. “Sorry. I never wanted to worry you but I couldn’t tell you what I was up to.”

 

Tiffany nodded then remembered something. “But Tae, your car might not win if it’s pink. I mean, of course it looks cooler than any other car in here, but that’s just my opinion. What if the judges think that having a pink car isn’t really worth giving a trophy and prize to?”

 

Taeyeon smiled and went closer to her before gently grabbing her hands. “It’s okay as long as I can get the girl.”

 

Tiffany frowned. Girl? Oh come on, you just confessed and now you want to win another girl? What kind of car show is this anyway? Girls as prizes? Tsk!

 

The shorter girl laughed at Tiffany’s face. She smoothened out the frown from the other girl’s face and said, “What I mean to say is that it’s okay if I don’t win this car show as long as I can win your heart.”

 

Tiffany stared at the flushed Taeyeon in disbelief.

 

“I know we’ve only met two weeks ago and that’s fast by anyone’s standards,” Taeyeon chuckled nervously, “and this probably isn’t the sweetest confession you’ve received, but what I’m telling you is the truth. My heart flutters when I’m with you and it aches when you’re away.” She almost cringed at her cheesiness. “This whole week that we haven’t seen each other has been the hardest for me.” She breathed deeply before continuing. “It’s not about the amount of time we’ve spent together, but the feeling that I get when I’m with you. Hwang Miyoung,” she grinned when Tiffany scowled, “will you be my girlfriend?”

 

G-girlfriend? Omo. She mentally did a victory dance. It took her awhile to answer for she was thinking of what to say. When she figured words might fail her – because her brain crashed again – she did the next best thing she could think of. She launched herself onto Taeyeon and gave the girl a sweet, deep kiss as an answer.

 

Both smiled into the kiss and have completely forgotten about the car show.

 


 

A/N again: I hope you guys know that the title has little to do with cars and more with their relationship’s rapid development. :D