Zero to Sixty in 3.5 (1)

Royal Ice

A/N: I still don't know where this is going but I'm posting it anyway. Thank you to the new subscribers! Enjoy... ? Haha :)



“Miyoung-ah, wake up! You’re going to have your first driving lesson today!”

 

“Driving wha-mmphh…” she groaned sleepily as she slammed her face back against her fluffy pillow.

 

“Miyoung.” The voice was stern.

 

She huffed before sitting up, squinting due to the brightness of the sun’s rays peeping through the window. “Dad, why do I have to learn how to drive?” she whined. “We have a driver! Isn’t that what he’s here for? To drive us around so we won’t have to do it ourselves?”

 

Her dad shook his head. “You need to know how to drive, Miyoung-ah. What if there’s an emergency and Mr. Park is not here to drive for you?”

 

“You drive.”

 

“What if I’m not here then?”

 

“Then…” she trailed off, not knowing how to continue.

 

“My point exactly. Now get ready. I’ll take you there in about an hour.”

 

“Ugh. The instructor better not be some old erted bald dude,” she groaned frustratingly before finally shuffling out of bed and walking to the bathroom.

 

Her dad chuckled before leaving the room.

 

-

 

“Oh gosh, Dad. Do you really want me to learn driving from them?” she pointed to a bunch of slightly old men sitting at the other side of the room. She looked at them then back at her dad. “Please tell me they’re not the instructors here. Please, Dad.”

 

The man chuckled – something he seemed to be doing a lot today and she was starting to get irritated with it. “Unfortunately, they are, Miyoung. They’re some of the best driving instructors around so I know you’ll learn fast,” he said and ushered her daughter to an office room. “At least they’re not old bald dudes, right?” he said teasingly.

 

“They can still be erted though,” she muttered while taking a seat beside him.

 

He chuckled yet again. “I don’t think they are. Relax.”

 

She was about to retaliate when a man entered the room and settled on the chair behind the table in front of them. “Good morning, Mr. Hwang and…” he read the file he was holding before looking at her with a small smile. “Miyoung, right?”

 

She nodded but quickly said, “Yes, Miyoung, but I’d prefer it if my instructor calls me Ms. Hwang, whoever he is.” She didn’t want some old guy being all buddy-buddy with her. She didn’t want them to call her Miyoung, or worse, Tiffany.

 

The man smiled and nodded. “As you wish. Now, Ms. Hwang, please read through this and sign at the bottom if there are no problems. Please kindly wait here as I talk to your instructor and prepare the car.” He handed her a folder before standing up.

 

Mr. Hwang nodded. “Thank you, Mr. Kim.”

 

Mr. Kim flashed him a smile and walked out of the room.

 

-

 

She sighed as she slumped back on her seat, waiting for Mr. Kim to come back.

 

“Stop sighing as if you’re carrying all the world’s problems. It’s just driving lessons. Learn how to drive and you’ll get out of here sooner.”

 

She sighed again. “But Dad, fifteen days? Really?” Fifteen days with an old guy, in a car that’ll probably smell of his sweats? No way.

 

“You don’t have to finish the whole fifteen days. You clearly didn’t read the whole thing,” he nodded towards the bunch of papers she just finished signing and sighed. “It says that if your instructor finds that your driving is good enough even before the fifteen days are over, then you can stop having lessons.”

 

Her face lit up. “Really!? Okay then! I’ll learn fast! Anything to get away from some old dude.”

 

Mr. Hwang only laughed at her.

 

Just then, the door of the small office swung open, revealing Mr. Kim, still with a kind smile on his face. “The car’s ready. Please follow me.”

 

Both did as they were asked and walked behind the man. He led them outside the building and into the parking lot located beside it. They stopped in front of a Silver Honda Civic. Mr. Kim took out the key and clicked a button on the remote attached to it, making the car beep as the doors unlocked. “Please go in the driver’s side, Ms. Hwang. Your instructor has a few papers to sign for a while and will be with you shortly.”

 

She nodded and entered the car. She closed the door and sighed, waiting (im)patiently for the instructor. She watched her dad converse a little with Mr. Kim before shaking his hand. Mr. Kim walked back to the building.

 

Her dad knocked on the window and she opened it. “I’ve already told Mr. Park to fetch you at 12:30, so just wait for him inside the building, okay?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Good luck, honey, and have fun.” He bent a little and kissed her forehead.

 

“I doubt it, but thanks, Dad.”

 

He smiled at her before walking away.

 

-

 

A knock on the passenger side was heard and she straightened up before looking to the side. The door opened and she winced as she prepared herself to see a large bald man covered in a lot of facial hair sit on the passenger seat, but what she saw was the complete opposite.

 

Smooth milky white legs made its way through the door and onto the car floor before a body of a petite woman came in right after. She gulped when she studied the girl’s face, thanking the heavens that the girl was too busy fixing her things inside the car to notice her staring. It was so white and looked so smooth. It made Tiffany want to reach out and touch it.

 

Managing to hold herself back, she cleared , catching the other girl’s attention.

 

“Er… I think you might have entered the wrong car,” she said as politely as she can, afraid of offending the girl. She actually didn’t want her to leave, but heck, she wanted to finish all her lessons as quickly as she can.

 

“Oh my gosh, I did?” The girl frowned before looking at the clipboard she was holding and flipping through the papers attached to it. “Hmm…” she hummed then looked around the parking lot. Her frowned deepened as she focused her gaze back to the clipboard and flipped to yet another page. “But this is the only Silver Honda Civic our company owns.”

 

Tiffany shook her head a bit, trying hard to focus on the conversation rather than the cute expressions the other girl was making. “B-but I’m waiting for my driving instructor. I’m a new student here.”

 

“Er…” She flips to another page. “Ms. Hwang?”

 

Tiffany was confused but nodded anyway.

 

The girl sighed in relief. “Oh, good. I seriously thought I entered the wrong car. That would’ve been embarrassing,” she chuckled.

 

Tiffany was only staring at her, which made the other girl nervous.

 

The girl coughed shyly before gasping. “Oh gosh, no wonder.” She rummaged her bag and pulled out an ID before clipping it on her shirt. She pointed at it before giving Tiffany a smile. “I’m Kim Taeyeon, your new driving instructor.”

 

Tiffany almost laughed out loud, but thankfully, she managed to control herself. Is this some kind of joke? How in the world can this Kim Taeyeon be her driving instructor when she doesn’t even look like she was in high school yet. Don’t get her wrong; she was happy that she got to meet this girl, but seriously? Driving instructor? She scoffed.

 

She saw Taeyeon frown. “Excuse me, but is there anything wrong?”

 

Tiffany wanted to let out a squeal as she thought the girl was cute, but controlled herself. “I’m sorry, but are you serious? You? A driving instructor? My driving instructor?”

 

“Er, yes? Didn’t I just tell you that?”

 

Tiffany let out another scoff. “Is this some kind of joke? I mean, what are you? Like thirteen? Fourteen, maybe? How can you be a driving instructor?”

 

She immediately regretted her words as a look of hurt flashed on the girl’s face.

 

“I’m sorry to say but I am actually twenty-three years old, and I have been driving since I was sixteen. If my credentials don’t impress you then it’s no problem, I can easily transfer you to Mr. Han’s care.” She gestured to a man standing not far away from them.

 

Tiffany looked at him and saw that he was exactly what she didn’t like to be a student of. Feeling guilty, she apologized sincerely to the girl beside her. “I’m sorry, Taeyeon-ssi. I just couldn’t believe that you were my age. You look young.”

 

She saw Taeyeon’s face soften. “Well, I guess it’s okay. I get that a lot. Sorry for blowing up.”

 

“It’s fine.” She gave the girl a smile, which the other girl returned.

 

-

 

“Okay, now before we start, I’m going to ask you a few questions to know your level of knowledge.”

 

Tiffany nodded but was focusing mainly on the girl’s lullaby-like voice and tantalizing eyes. She wondered just exactly how good Taeyeon is for her to be teaching driving at such a young age.

 

“So have you ever driven before?” Taeyeon asked as she clicked her pen and started scribbling words on the paper she was holding.

 

“No,” she shook her head, eyes still wandering on the girl’s beautiful face.

 

“Oh, well that’s okay.” Taeyeon looked back at her and smiled, completely stunning Tiffany. “I’ll have you driving like a pro in no time!”

 

Tiffany gulped, wanting more of that smile.

 

“Do you have an idea how to start the car?”

 

“No idea whatsoever,” she answered truthfully, earning a cute chuckle from the cute instructor.

 

“Well, that’s fine. I’m here to teach you anyway so let’s get right to it.”

 

They spent the next fifteen minutes or so with Taeyeon explaining the parts of the car and their function. She also taught Tiffany how to start the car properly, which Tiffany learned quite easily because of Taeyeon’s very helpful instructions, much to the latter’s delight.

 

The instructor clapped her hands as the car roared in to life. “Omo! You learn easily! Very good!”

 

Tiffany smiled, happy to have impressed Taeyeon.

 

“Thanks. You’re a really good teacher, that’s why.”

 

Taeyeon blushed and Tiffany swore it was the cutest thing she has ever seen.

 

Taeyeon coughed embarrassingly. “Er, thanks. Anyway, how about you start driving, huh? Remember when I told you about the gear shift and the clutch?” Tiffany nodded. “Okay, now step on the clutch pedal all the way down.” Tiffany did as she was told. “Now move the shift gear to the 1st gear.” Taeyeon waited for the girl to do that. “Push the handbrake down and slowly lift your left foot, decreasing the weight on the clutch.”

 

The car slowly moved and Taeyeon was all smiles. “Alright, apply a bit of pressure on the gas.”

 

The car moved a little bit faster. “That’s it! Good!”

 

-

 

Instead of having Mr. Park fetch her daughter, Mr. Hwang did it himself. He waited inside the building patiently.

 

Soon, the sliding doors opened and in came his daughter with a shorter girl. They seemed to be engrossed in their conversation that Tiffany didn’t notice him.

 

He stood up and walked over to them with a smile. “Miyoung-ah.”

 

He chuckled at his surprised daughter. “Dad!” She ran up to him and hugged the man.

 

They both pulled away and Mr. Hwang turned to the other girl with them. Taeyeon bowed at the man and Mr. Hwang returned it. “Good afternoon, sir.”

 

“My, my, Taeyeon-ah. Look how much you’ve grown. You look so much like your mother now. Very pretty.”

 

Taeyeon blushed and bowed again. “Thank you, Uncle.”

 

Eh? Uncle?

 

Mr. Hwang turned to her daughter. “I see you’re getting along with your instructor.”

 

Tiffany was confused about how her dad and Taeyeon knew each but smiled and nodded nonetheless.

 

“Good. See? I found you an instructor that wasn’t some old erted bald dude,” he said, purposely using the words she used earlier.

 

Taeyeon laughed at that. “I guess that’s why you looked surprised earlier. But the guys here are anything but those things you’ve mentioned. They’re really good guys. Experts, even.”

 

Tiffany was embarrassed. “Sorry. I just didn’t really want to end up with those types.”

 

“It’s okay,” Taeyeon smiled. “Anyway, may I be excused? I think I need to report to my boss,” she chuckled. “Nice seeing you again, Uncle. See you tomorrow, Ms. Hwang.” She smiled at them before waving goodbye and heading towards one of the offices.

 

-

 

“So how was your first day?”

 

“It was fine. Pfft. It was easy as pie.”

 

“Well, I’m glad. I knew Taeyeon would be able to teach you well.”

 

“Oh yeah, about that. How do you know her?”

 

“Yes. I know you don’t want old guys teaching you so I asked Mr. Kim if Taeyeon would be up for the job.”

 

Tiffany looked at him, confused.

 

He glanced at her and chuckled before focusing back on the road. “Taeyeon is the daughter of Mr. Kim, the man we talked to earlier, remember?” Tiffany nodded. “Well, their family owns the driving school and Mr. Kim’s an old friend of mine. We go way back, him and me. And since you kept complaining, I asked him a favor and he gladly complied.” He glanced at her again. “Taeyeon doesn’t usually teach, but for family and friends, she does so willingly.”

 

“But she’s so young.” And beautiful. Can’t forget beautiful.

 

Mr. Hwang chuckled. “She is, isn’t she? She’s your age, I assume you know, but she has had an interest in cars since she was little so it wasn’t a surprise to anyone that she ended up being a really good driver.”

 

Tiffany nodded, trying to digest every bit of information she can about her… crush.

 

“How come I’ve never seen her or Mr. Kim before And how come you call Mr. Kim, Mr. Kim if you go way back?”

 

“We were doing business, so it’s only proper to call him that. And you were never interested in coming with me to the parties I go to so you didn’t have a chance to meet them. Taeyeon was always with her dad because it was apparently one of the conditions before she could start learning about cars and driving. Well, since you know Taeyeon now, I think it’ll be easier to force you to come with me.”

 

Tiffany nodded once more and smiled to herself, happy that she got to know more about that cute instructor of hers.

 

-

 

It was a Saturday and although she enjoyed the whole week with Taeyeon, she was happy to be sleeping on her comfy bed with her fluffy pillows and stuffed toys surrounding her.

 

She heard her door open but didn’t open her eyes to see who it was. She assumed it was one of their maids so she didn’t bother looking.

 

She suddenly felt someone shaking her shoulders. She groaned. “I’m sleeping.”

 

She heard a low chuckle and instantly knew that it was her father’s. She hid herself under her covers, hoping her dad would get the idea that she wants so sleep some more.

 

“Wake up, Miyoung-ah.”

 

“It’s a Saturday, I don’t have driving lessons. Let me sleep in.”

 

She didn’t need to look to know that her dad shook his head. She felt him move away and sighed in content. She was about to resume her sleep when she heard her dad say something – he was probably on the phone.

 

“Oh well, Jaewoo, Tiffany doesn’t want to wake up. She’s probably tired from all the driving she did this week,” he chuckled. “Please tell Taeyeon that I’m sorry. Maybe next time I’ll force Tiffany to come along.”

 

Her eyes instantly fluttered open upon hearing Taeyeon’s name. She sat up and saw her dad by the door with his phone against his ear.

 

“Alright, Jaewoo. I’ll see you later.” He ended the call and was about to close the door when he noticed Tiffany looking at him while sitting on her bed. “Good morning. I thought you wanted to sleep in?”

 

“Who was that?” she said, completely ignoring her dad’s question.

 

“Kim Jaewoo, the owner of the driving school you attend.”

 

“Taeyeon’s dad?”

 

He nodded.

 

“Oh…” She wanted to ask him but didn’t know how.

 

“There’s a small gathering at their house later at lunch and he invited me. He told me that Taeyeon wanted you to come, but I told him that you wanted to sleep in so I’ll just go by myself.”

 

“What’s the occasion?”

 

“His youngest daughter, Hayeon, won an art competition and they’re celebrating by inviting a few friends over.”

 

“Ah…” she nodded.

 

“Well, I better get ready. It’s already 11 and I promised to be there at 12. I’ll see you later, Miyoung.”

 

“Wait!”

 

Her father looked back at her.

 

“I want to come.”

 

“Are you sure? I thought you wanted to sleep in? Actually, never mind that. Get ready and get dressed as quickly as you can. I don’t want to be late.”

 

She nodded and scurried her way to the bathroom, earning a chuckle from her dad.

 

-

 

She looked around the garden; trying to find the only other person she knows other than her dad. She squinted her eyes when they landed on the desserts table. There she saw a petite figure seemingly trying to devour all the cupcakes available. She laughed silently and made her way there.

 

She tapped on the figure’s shoulder and laughed loudly as the girl faced her. Taeyeon’s mouth was filled with the Red Velvet cupcakes. “Yah, are you that hungry?”

 

Taeyeon almost choked. “Ms. Hwang! You’re here!”

 

Tiffany frowned. “I told you not to call me that anymore.”

 

“Well, it was part of what my dad told me when teaching you so…”

 

“You aren’t teaching me now, so call me Tiffany.”

 

“Alright, Tiffany.”

 

She smiled. “Anyway, are you that hungry?”

 

Taeyeon smiled sheepishly. “I just love cupcakes, that’s all. And I’m afraid I might not be able to eat some when Hayeon sees them.”


“Ah, Hayeon. The celebrant?”

 

Taeyeon nodded. “Have you met her?”

 

She shook her head.

 

“Oh… hold on.” Taeyeon looked around the garden and smiled widely when she spotted her sister. “Hayeon-ah!” She shouted and Tiffany turned to see a young girl, looking so much like Taeyeon, walking towards them.

 

“Unnie?”

 

“Ah, Hayeon-ah. This is Tiffany. Tiffany, this is Hayeon, my talented sister.” Hayeon blushed and pushed Taeyeon slightly.

 

“Unnie,” she whined. Taeyeon only laughed and ruffled her sister’s hair.

 

Tiffany smiled at the display of sisterly affection. “Hi, Hayeon. It’s nice to meet you. And congratulations.”

 

Hayeon grinned. “Thank you, pretty unnie! Are you the same Tiffany Taeyeon unnie keeps talking about? Taeyeon unnie was right! You are gorgeous! No wonder she wanted to see you so much!”

 

Tiffany’s eyes widened while her cheeks reddened furiously. Taeyeon wasn’t doing any better as she pushed the laughing Hayeon away while her face was flustered. She went back to Tiffany but refused to look at the girl’s face. “Don’t mind her. Kids, you know.”

 

Tiffany came back to her senses, but was unknowingly very happy at the little girl’s revelation. “Y-yeah. Kids.”

 

Taeyeon cleared . “A-anyway, I thought you wouldn’t come. Appa told me your Daddy said you’re sleeping in?”

 

“O-oh. Well, I didn’t have anything to do at home so…”

 

“Taeyeon-ah!” They heard a man calling for Taeyeon and both turned to see Mr. Kim nearing them.

 

He smiled at Tiffany before facing Taeyeon. “Taeyeon, I thought I told you not to eat all the cupcakes? Save some for your sister! This is her party and those cupcakes were her special request.”

 

“But Appa, I’m only getting two!” She showed her hands that were now holding a cupcake each.

 

“Oh yeah? And what about the three that I saw you’ve already eaten?”

 

“Er…” Tiffany smiled at the sight of an embarrassed Taeyeon. It was definitely cute.

 

“Right. Return those cupcakes. Actually, on second thought, give one to Ms. Hwang and return the other.”

 

Taeyeon frowned but gave up one cupcake to Tiffany and returned the other one at the table.

 

-

 

“Mm, this is great!”

 

“I know right? We order them from a family friend. She makes great cupcakes.”

 

“Now I know why you were eating them like crazy earlier,” she teased.

 

Taeyeon blushed. “Yah. Don’t tease. They’re really good so I couldn’t resist.”

 

Tiffany chuckled. “I know.”

 

Silence.

 

“So have you been practicing?”

 

“I have.”

 

“Great! Then you’ll be driving like a pro in no time!” She smiled that smile that Tiffany loves.

 

Throughout the week, Tiffany has been trying to figure out her feelings towards this young-looking girl beside her. Just seeing the girl’s proud smile whenever she accomplishes something makes Tiffany’s heart flutter.

 

The moment her heart beat fast at the sight of Taeyeon cute, dimpled smile, Tiffany knew what she has for the girl wasn’t just a simple crush or admiration. She liked her. Though it had never crossed her mind to like the same gender, somehow, liking Taeyeon wasn’t that bad.

 

She found it very helpful, actually. Not only did she pester Mr. Park to help her practice every afternoon after driving class, but she would also take the initiative of asking the man about more advanced techniques on driving just so she could impress Taeyeon the next day. She also started waking up early – earlier than her father even – much to everyone’s surprise. That lazier-by-the-minute Tiffany Hwang was finally taking initiative in something as simple waking up early was something none of the people in their household would ever thought of seeing. But here she was… waking up way ahead of everyone, even with a big smile plastered on her face.

 

Taeyeon smiled brightly at her. Tiffany was growing accustomed to that innocent child-like smile. It had been five days since she started driving lessons and she loved every bit of it. The two of them also grew closer as they spent more time together. Although she didn’t know if the feeling was mutual, Tiffany was just as happy spending time with Taeyeon.

 

“Oh, by the way, I have this car show tomorrow, and I was wondering if you’d like to come?”

 

Omo! “M-me?” Calm down, Tiffany. It’s not like she’s asking you to go on a date with her or anything.

 

Taeyeon nodded. “Yeah, I mean, only if you want to.”

 

Would it be just the two of us? Play it cool, Miyoung. “O-oh. Okay. I’ll ask Dad if I can go.”

 

“Really?! Yay! Oh, text me if your father allowed you. Here’s my number.” They exchanged phone numbers. “Thank you, Tiffany!”

 

“No problem,” Tiffany said as she wiped clean of the cupcake remnants.

 

“Oh, you missed a spot.”

 

Tiffany didn’t hear Taeyeon and turned her head. Her eyes widened. So close to her face was Taeyeon’s.

 

Taeyeon seemed to notice their proximity too as she had the same expression of shock.

 

Tiffany took the chance to observe Taeyeon’s face up close. The girl was definitely beautiful; no one can ever deny that, which makes her wonder if Taeyeon was taken. She was then drawn to the girl’s mesmerizing orbs. She gulped and unconsciously leaned forward.

 

She wasn’t sure if she was seeing things but it seemed to her like Taeyeon was leaning towards her as well.

 

No one said a word as both continued leaning towards the each other. Their faces were so close to each other that she could feel Taeyeon’s breath on her lips. She was about to close the gap when a loud shout from behind brought them out of their trance.

 

“UNNIE!”