Annoying AC

Royal Ice

 

 

Summer. To Jessica, today could probably be the hottest day ever.

 

She was sweating profusely. Her skin glowing as the sunlight hit her body. It would’ve been a very y sight, Jessica thought, if it wasn’t for her looking like she was going to die.

 

She regretted staying outside. She was suffering and the whole neighborhood had front row seats to see her slowly melt under the sun. But staying inside the four walls of her house was worse. It didn’t help that there was no electricity.

 

It didn’t help at all.

 

She shifted on her small foldable chair, trying to find a comfortable position, if there was even one. Her legs felt sticky. She looked at it and saw sweat trickling down her smooth legs. She made a disgusted face and grabbed the small towel she brought with her, only to find it damp from all the sweat she had to wipe off her whole body. 

 

What good will that small towel do now?

 

She sighed and decided to try to ignore the scorching heat and sticky sweat, if that was possible. She looked around her neighborhood and saw a few people outside their houses as well. Probably doing the same thing as me, she thought.

 

She then averted her gaze to the playground just a few meters away. Kids were playing as if it was the perfect weather to swap sweats with their playmates.

 

She shook her head and picked up the piece of cardboard she brought along with the now useless towel and tried to fan herself. 

 

It was useless. It was too small to be even considered a ‘cooling’ contraption. She put it down and sighed.

 

Just then, she felt a gust of wind as someone, probably a bored neighbor, came running past her. She felt the wind hit her face softly and smiled.

 

Finally, she thought.

 

Said neighbor ran past her again.

 

And again.

 

And again.

 

It began to annoy her, even though she was starting to feel cooler because of it.

 

When the neighbor slowed down, Jessica caught sight of her face. She scoffed.

 

It was Yuri.

 

Her annoying neighbor.

 

No wonder.

 

Yuri turned to her and smiled. She glared as a response.

 

Unfazed, Yuri jogged towards her again and began to speed up as she was nearing Jessica.

 

It annoyed Jessica even more that Yuri can’t seem to take a hint.

 

She tried to ignore the girl but it wasn’t exactly the easiest task when Yuri is arguably the most annoying person you’ll ever encounter.

 

“Electricity’s coming back in about 20 minutes,” she heard Yuri say as the girl ran past her again. She rolled her eyes, trying hard to ignore the girl.

 

“I called the electricity company...” Yuri ran past her again, “...so don’t worry...” and again.

 

It kept going until there was only a few minutes before the electricity comes back. Jessica wonders when Yuri will ever get tired.

 

Yuri has a stamina of a horse, she thought, maybe ten horses even.

 

She heard other neighbors sigh in relief and figured that the electricity must be back up.

 

Just then, Yuri suddenly stopped running and panted heavily.

 

Jessica rolled her eyes at the girl and began fixing her things. “You shouldn’t have ran around like that, stupid,” she mumbled, but Yuri still heard it.

 

“It’s alright. I felt bad seeing you sweat so much, so I thought of a way to make it cooler for you somehow. See you around, Princess!” Yuri smiled and waved goodbye before walking towards her own house.

 

Jessica was stunned. Yuri ran around like that for her? For almost 30 minutes?

 

She felt guilty.

 

“Yuri!”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Thank you!” she managed a genuine smile.

 

Yuri smiled back, “Anytime!”

 

Jessica watched as the girl walk into her house.

 

Maybe she isn’t so annoying after all.

 

She smiled to herself before walking to her own home.

 

 


 

Explanation: You know how when someone walks or runs past you, you feel a gust of wind? Well since Jessica was sweating so much, Yuri decided to keep running past her so the wind Yuri was ‘creating’ will hit Jessica.