Untitled Part 1

Royal Ice

 

A/N: Hey yo! I'm back! :) BTW, this is still untitled so if you have any ideas for titles, tell me. Thank you!


 

 

She heard the front door closed and soon saw her roommate-slash-best friend walking in the living room. She glanced at her before turning her attention back to the TV. 

 

“Wow,” she heard her best friend say, “not even a ‘Hi, Soonkyu.’ I’m not even going to complain if you call me by my real name.”

 

She shrugged, not taking her eyes off the show playing.

 

“This is what you have been doing all day? Bumming around?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Aish, Taengoo-ah, this isn’t healthy. You have to go out! Why don’t you go on dates? It’s been a year since...”

 

She looked at her friend when the latter trailed off. “Since what?” she challenged her.

 

Sunny shook her head. “Let’s not talk about that. But seriously Taeyeon, you have to go out. Yuri and the others have been asking about you. I always tell them that you’re busy or you’re not feeling well but I doubt if they even still believe me.”

 

“It’s not my problem. You shouldn’t even be saying that, you know. You should just tell them that I’m not in the mood to go out anymore.”

 

“They’ll get hurt.”

 

“That’s better than lying.”

 

Sunny doesn’t need to ask to know that Taeyeon wasn’t just talking about their friends anymore. She sighed. “I know, Tae.” With that, she walked to her room.

 

---

 

“Tae!”

 

She groaned as she heard her best friend’s loud voice. “What?! Soonkyu it’s 7 in the morning! My class isn’t until this afternoon. You better have a good reason for waking me up!”

 

Sunny walked in her room and mockingly said, “Oooh, I’m so scared. Anyway, it’s already 11, if you must know. I’ve told you about a hundred times that your clock needs new batteries but I guess it never got through to you.”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and covered her head with a blanket, trying to go back to sleep. 

 

“Kim Taeyeon!”

 

“What?!” she shouted from beneath the sheets.

 

“Let’s have lunch before you go to class.”

 

“Ugh, go by yourself. Or ask Yuri and the others.”

 

“But I want to have lunch with my best friend,” Sunny said with so much aegyo that Taeyeon had to fight the urge to throw a lamp at her.

 

“Go away.”

 

“Please? It’s been a while since we did something together. I miss my best friend,” Sunny said seriously this time.

 

Taeyeon sighed at the seriousness of her best friend’s tone. She admits that she misses Sunny too. Although they live in the same dorm, they rarely get to spend time together. They both go to the same school, but because they were taking different courses, they had classes in different parts of the campus. While Sunny made quite a lot of friends, Taeyeon was satisfied being alone and going straight home after her classes.

 

She removed the blanket from her head and sat up, “Fine,” she said hesitatingly. 

 

“YES! Thank you, Taeng! Come on, get up and get ready. We leave in 30.” Sunny gave her a quick hug before dashing out of the room.

 

---

 

“Did you hear what happened? Jessica broke up with her girlfriend yesterday! And today, someone saw her hugging another girl! Gosh, what a player.”

 

“What? I thought she broke up with her girlfriend weeks ago?”

 

“It’s a new girl! They dated for about a week ‘til she dumped her.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head as she heard two girls talking from the other table. “Seriously, I don’t know what’s worse: gossiping or being a heartbreaker. What’s so good about those two things? Nothing.”

 

Sunny chuckled. “It’s not something new to hear someone gossip, Taeyeon-ah. You should know that if you’ve been going out the dorm.”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. “Yeah, next you’re going to tell me that being a player is the trend these days.”

 

Sunny chuckled again. “It’s not, but there are quite a few who are rumored to be players in school. I’ve heard this one,” she pointed to the other table where the two girls were still gossiping. “I know about Jessica’s rumor. People say that she changes girlfriends every week or every two weeks, or something like that. Many people claim that they’ve seen her around campus with a different girl every week.”

 

“This Jessica girl goes to our school?”

 

Sunny nodded. “Apparently.”

 

“Why don’t I know her then? If rumors are spreading like this, then she must be very famous now.”

 

Her best friend shrugged. “I don’t know what she looks like either. Our school’s big Taeng and besides, she could be from a different course so she could have classes from a different part of school. Most people just know her because of the rumors, but they don’t really know who she is.”

 

“She’s a player. Must not be a good person then.”

 

“Don’t be so quick to judge, Taeng.”

 

Taeyeon shrugged. “I’m just saying.”

 

---

 

“Taeng!”

 

Taeyeon refused to open her eyes. “Go away.”

 

“No, I want to talk to you.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t answer and was trying to go back to sleep when Sunny suddenly jumped on her bed, making it shake.

 

“Ugh! What do you want?!” she sat up, glaring at her smiling best friend.

 

“Remember Jessica?”

 

“Huh? Who?”

 

“Jessica. The girl we talked about when we had lunch about a week ago.”

 

“Ah, that girl. Yeah, what about her?”

 

“Well, you see, I don’t know when it happened, but she’s suddenly my classmate!”

 

Taeyeon stared at her with a blank expression. “Oh, wow, good for you.” She then moved to lie back down but a hand stopped her.

 

“She talked to me and I figured that she doesn’t seem to be a bad person like you said.”

 

Taeyeon removed Sunny’s hand from her back and shoved her. “You woke me up to tell me that?!”

 

Sunny shrugged. “It’s an interesting piece of news, how can I not?”

 

“It’s not interesting to me.”

 

“But what if I tell you she likes you?”

 

Taeyeon laughed a bit. “That’s crazy. I don’t even know the person and you expect me to believe that she likes me? Furthermore,” she continued when she saw that Sunny was about to speak, “she is a player, Soonkyu. Do you really want to set me up on another heartbreak? Or your heartbreaking, lying, cheating cousin didn’t finish me off?”

 

Sunny’s face fell. “Look, I’m sorry about that, but I didn’t really know that she’s like that. I honestly thought she was a good person.”

 

“Well, it doesn’t seem like you’re a good judge of character so don’t tell me that Jessica’s nice.” Taeyeon instantly regretted what she said when she saw the hurt look on Sunny’s face. “Sorry.”

 

Sunny forced a smile. “No, don’t be. You’re right. I’m not a good judge of character. I’m sorry. I think I’ll go now.” She stood up from the bed and walked out of the room, gently closing the door behind her.

 

Taeyeon sighed frustratingly. She didn’t mean to say what she did, but she couldn’t help it. She didn’t want another heartbreak. Players, cheaters, they’re all the same in Taeyeon’s view. They’re all liars. 

 

She lied back down and tried to go back to sleep. Hopefully when she wakes up, she can patch things up with Sunny.

 

---

 

“What? Jessica is with another girl again?”

 

“Apparently. Maybe she got bored with the other one.”

 

Taeyeon scoffed as she walked past numerous gossiping students in the hallway. It has been a week since she talked about the girl with her best friend, and she has been hearing non-stop gossips about her ever since. It surprised her that she has never noticed people talking about Jessica before, but now that she knows a bit about the girl, she can’t stop hearing them.

 

Busy with her thoughts, she didn’t notice another person coming her way, running.

With a loud ‘oof!’, both parties fell down on their behind.

 

“Oww! That hurt!” Taeyeon said as she groaned in pain. 

 

The other person quickly stood up despite the pain she was feeling and quickly lent Taeyeon a hand. “I’m sorry! I’m so so sorry!”

 

Taeyeon grabbed the hand and stood up. She dusted her skirt before looking up to the stranger. She noticed that the girl’s cheeks were flushed and had a worried expression on her face and quickly said, “It’s fine. I’m okay.”

 

She watched as the girl exhaled in relief. “Oh, good.”

 

“Hey, are you new here? I don’t think I’ve seen you around before.”

 

“Oh, I-I... I’m from a different course.”

 

Taeyeon nodded. “Ah, I see. Well, what brings you here then?”

 

“I was... uh... looking for a friend?”

 

Taeyeon looked at her when she thought the girl wasn’t sure but shrugged it off. “Oh! By the way, I’m Kim Taeyeon, and I’m from this part of school so I guess I can help you find your friend,” she held out a hand for the girl to shake.

 

The girl looked at the hand before looking up to Taeyeon’s face. She felt her hand shaking as she held it out and lightly grabbed Taeyeon’s hand before shaking it. “I’m J-j... Sooyeon. Jung Sooyeon.”

 

Taeyeon smiled at her before letting go of the hand she was holding. “Nice to meet you, Sooyeon. Anyway, who’s your friend? I might know her.”

 

“U-uh... on second thought, maybe I’ll just look for her after class.”

 

“Oh,” Taeyeon felt a little disappointed, though she didn’t know why exactly.

 

“I’ll see you some other time then, Taeyeon-ssi,” Sooyoen gave her a small smile before walking towards the other side of the building.

 

For the first time, Taeyeon walked to her classroom with a wide smile on her face.

 

---

 

“So how was it?”

 

She groaned loudly as her head slammed onto the table. “Horrible.”

 

“Why? What happened?”

 

“I bumped into her,” she said, her voice muffled.

 

“Oh, that’s not so ba-”

 

“Literally,” she sighed as she lifted her head to look at her sister, “I literally bumped into her. We both fell but I think it hurt her more.”

 

Her sister grimaced, “Oooh. That is bad.”

 

She groaned again. “There’s another thing.”

 

“What?”

 

“I didn’t tell her who I really was.”

 

“Huh?” her sister was obviously confused.

 

“I didn’t tell her I was Jessica Jung. I introduced myself as Jung Sooyeon.”

 

Her sister’s eyes were wide open. “What? Why didn’t you tell her you’re Jessica?”

 

She sighed and motioned for her sister to come closer so she could tell her what happened. “Well, you see, her best friend, Sunny, is a classmate of mine. I told her how I felt about Taeyeon because I wanted her to help me get closer to her, but Sunny told me that Taeyeon doesn’t like ‘Jessica Jung’ because of ‘her’ reputation as a player,” she paused to breathe, “I didn’t want her to leave so I told her I was Sooyeon.”

 

“Aish,” her sister shook her head, “so you’re going to keep pretending? You know, there is a possibility that she’ll know one day right?”

 

“Yeah, but I don’t want to think about it until then.”

 

“Fine, have it your way.”

 

---

 

“Taengoo!”

 

She looked up from her book. “Yes?”

 

“People from your side of the school tell me that you’ve been hanging out with someone these past few days. Who is she?”

 

Taeyeon just stared at her.

 

“What? I’m asking you because the students who told me said that she’s from another course so they don’t know her that well.”

 

“Why is it important for you to know who she is?”

 

“Because! She’s the reason you’re always smiling when you come home, no matter how late it is.”

 

She looked down to hide her blush. She and Sooyeon have been meeting up after school frequently since that day that they bumped into each other. There were times that they spent the rest of the afternoon in some café to talk, or just hang out in the park. She admitted to herself that she has been smiling a lot lately. She noticed it when she looked at herself in front of the mirror and saw a very happy Taeyeon. She was enjoying Sooyeon’s company.

 

“Tae?”

 

She shook her head and looked at Sunny. “What?”

 

“You’re not going to tell me who that girl is? I promise I won’t interfere!” Sunny grinned.

 

Taeyeon sighed. “Her name’s Jung Sooyeon. You probably know her since she’s also taking up Law like you.”

 

Sunny furrowed her eyebrows. “Jung Sooyeon? Who’s that? The only Jung I know who’s taking up Law is Jung Jessica.”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes at the name. “Don’t even mention that name. I heard that she’s playing with another girl again. Apparently they’ve been going out for quite some time now, and the other students are betting when they’ll break up. Or more like when Jessica’s going to break her heart.”

 

“Give her a chance Taeyeon. You don’t even know if those rumors are true.”

 

“Nah. I’d rather stay with Sooyeon. At least she’s nice.”

 

“Hmm. I still can’t think of a Jung Sooyeon from Law, but then again, I don’t know everyone,” Sunny shrugged, “Well, thanks for telling me, Taeng. I’m happy that at least you’re having a great time with your new friend.”

 

Taeyeon smiled at her before going back to her book.

 

---

 

“Taeyeon, are you okay?” Sooyeon said as she noticed Taeyeon fidgeting.

 

“H-huh? Uh, yeah. I’m fine.”

 

“You don’t look fine.”

 

“I-it’s just... Aish!” she breathed slowly to calm her racing heart, “I have something to tell you, Sooyeon.”

 

Sooyeon suddenly felt nervous. Various thoughts came to mind. Did Taeyeon find out that she was Jessica? Was Taeyeon going to tell her that they shouldn’t hang out anymore? Those thoughts plus a few more clouded Sooyeon’s mind. She can feel tears seeping through her eyes.

 

“Sooyeon?” Taeyeon’s eyes widened when she saw that Sooyeon was about to cry. Needless to say, she panicked. “Oh my gosh! Are you okay?!” 

 

Taeyeon’s voice snapped her out of her thoughts. “Ah, yeah, sorry about that,” she took a tissue to wipe her eyes, “something must’ve went into my eyes,” she lied.

 

Taeyeon relaxed a bit but still looked at Sooyeon worriedly while the other girl continued wiping her tears. Maybe it’s not the right time to tell her, she thought.

 

“What did you want to tell me, Taeyeon?” Sooyeon said when she was done.

 

“U-uh-uhm...”

 

Sooyeon patiently waited for Taeyeon to continue.

 

“I like you,” Taeyeon managed to say. She was afraid to look at Sooyeon but she knew she had to.

 

Sooyeon kept blinking, surprised by the sudden confession. She felt stupid after thinking that Taeyeon was going to leave her. She smiled widely but it faded when she saw that Taeyeon had a dejected look on her face. 

 

Taeyeon got really worried when Sooyeon didn’t say anything. She feared rejection the most, but she has to learn to live with it. She didn’t want Sooyeon to suddenly become awkward with her. She mentally scolded herself for confessing. She sighed dejectedly and leaned back on her seat.

 

“Taeyeon,” Sooyeon called out.

 

Taeyeon anticipated the worst. She didn’t say anything.

 

“I like you too.”

 

“Y-you do?”

 

Sooyeon laughed when Taeyeon stuttered. She nodded as an answer. “Since I’ve met you, actually,” her face reddened at her confession but still managed to look at Taeyeon in the eyes.

 

Taeyeon smiled widely and got off her seat to pull Sooyeon for a hug. “You don’t know how happy I am, Sooyeon. Thank you.”

 

Sooyeon hugged her tightly. Silently wishing that if Taeyeon finds out about her being Jessica, the older girl won’t leave her.

 

---

 

Taeyeon was pulling Sooyeon towards a familiar café after school. Sooyeon kept asking her where they were going but the older girl kept mum. When they finally reached the entrance, Taeyeon faced her. “I want you to meet my friends. I think it’s about time since we’ve been dating for about two weeks and they know nothing about you. They’ll probably beat me up for not introducing you earlier but better late than never right?”

 

Sooyeon froze. Meeting Taeyeon’s friends would mean exposing herself to them. She knows that Sunny is Taeyeon’s best friend, and the girl knows her as Jessica and not Sooyeon. She was about to object when Taeyeon grabbed her hand and pulled her inside the café. 

 

From the entrance, she could see a bunch of girls seated around a table, happily chatting. She felt nervous when she saw Sunny suddenly look at them with wide eyes. She wanted to signal the girl not to say anything, but it was too late when the girl shouted, “JESSICA?!”

 

Taeyeon stopped in front of the table and looked around the café. “What? That player’s here? No way!”

 

“No, Taeyeon. Jessica’s... right beside you.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Oh, no wonder you look familiar!” Yuri exclaimed as she stood up and walked beside Sooyeon, “You’re the great Jessica Jung!”

 

Taeyeon was still confused. How can Sooyeon be Jessica? Unless...

 

“You lied to me,” it came out as a whisper but it was still enough to make the people around the table quiet.

 

“Taeyeon, I can explain-” Jessica was cut off by Taeyeon.

 

“You lied to me?!” Taeyeon repeated, a little louder this time.

 

“Taeng, calm down,” Sunny said and stood up to try to calm the girl down. She knew what was going to happen next.

 

Taeyeon faced her. Anger written all over her already red face. “How can you tell me to calm down when she lied to me?!” She then faced Jessica, “How can you lie to me?!”

 

“I-”

 

“So if you’re ‘the great Jessica Jung’,” she said mockingly, “then I’m... the girl you’re playing with?” she gulped. She didn’t want to believe it but how can she not when everything’s slowly falling into place. Her body shook with anger. She didn’t want to go through another heartbreak again but here she was, crying all over again for the same reason: lies. 

 

She was about to walk out of the café when Jessica grabbed her arm.

 

“Taeyeon, please let me explain,” Jessica managed to say despite her tears.

 

“There’s nothing to explain, Jessica, if that is even your real name,” she shrugged off Jessica’s hand and quickly left.

 

Jessica broke down with some of Taeyeon’s friends trying to calm her down.