Rumour Has It

Royal Ice

A/N: Okay, this one-shot is an overdue present for one of my first SONE friends (wait, I think she is the first!). So anyway, *ahemBeddyahem*, this is for you! :) Oh yeah, my dear friend, since this is my gift for you, I'm letting you decide if I should post this on SSF too. So... ENJOY! :) **If you don't like it, tell me and I'll make a new one. :)

By the way, don't mind the spelling difference between "Rumour" in the title and "rumor" in the story.

And! Taeyeon's friends in the story don't have names but I imagined them to be Yoona and Yuri, as friends, and not YoonYul the couple. I imagined the talkative one to be Yuri. Haha :) That's all. :)


 

“Guess what?”

 

“What?”

 

“There’s another rumor.”

 

“Oh? What’s it about this time?”

 

“She’s dating the new girl.”

 

She raised an eyebrow. “Does she even know the new girl?”

 

“Apparently someone saw them talking to each other by the lockers.”

 

“And how does that translate to them dating?”

 

A shrug. “Beats me. I don’t know how those people’s minds work.”

 

“Does she know?”

 

“Maybe? Haven’t talked to her yet.”

 

“How about the new girl?”

 

“What about her?”

 

“What does she have to say about it?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

She sighed. “It’s stupid to make up stories about other people, especially the new girl.”

 

“I agree, but we can’t do anything about it anymore. It’s out in the open.”

 

“Welp. That’s the life of Kim Taeyeon.”

 

---

 

“Yes, I’ve heard about it. No, it’s not true. You should know that.”

 

“I wasn’t going to ask you if it was true you know. I was just going to ask you how you feel about it.”

 

She shrugged. “Should I even feel anything? It’s normal. And again, you should know that.”

 

“But this involves a new girl, not some old schoolmate who knows how things work here. Speaking of, you know her?”

 

She shook her head. “No. We were talking by the lockers because she asked the way to her classroom. New girl. New school. Go figure.”

 

“Ah.” She nodded.

 

---

 

“The rumor is escalating to new heights! I mean, even the seniors know now. That’s rare. Actually, come to think of it, that never happened before! How’s Taeng taking it?”

 

“Normal? She’s indifferent. Couldn’t care less.”

 

“And the girl?”

 

“No one bothered to ask. But I’m seeing her less and less around school.”

 

She scoffed. “Hiding? From a pointless rumor?”

 

“She could be just busy from school work, or she could be hiding too. I wouldn’t blame her though. Wouldn’t you feel scared if you’re a new student and suddenly a very big rumor breaks out which involves you? Not to mention, you don’t have any friends to comfort you?”

 

“Well, if you put it that way, then I guess hiding isn’t that silly. But what should we do? We don’t know her? Heck, I don’t even know her name.”

 

“Taeng knows her.”

 

She cocked an eyebrow. “Are you implicitly saying that Taeng should go talk to her?”

 

“Noooo. I’m explicitly saying that Taeng should go talk to her. Taeng should at least tell her that it’s nothing to worry about; that it’s quite normal for anyone somewhat connected to her to be involved in some sort of rumor, even if it’s just because she was asking for directions.”

 

“Fine. You tell her.”

 

“I wasn’t expecting you to do it anyway.”

 

---

 

“What? Why should I do that?”

 

“Have some sympathy towards the girl you unfortunately brought into your messy life.”

 

“Hey! She was the one who asked me, and I’m not a rude person to ignore her. I didn’t bring her to my ‘messy’ life. Other people are just too inventive.”

 

“Fine. But think about how she feels. You may be fine with this, but not everyone is used to having someone talk about them, let alone the whole school! Gosh, even the elementary students know about it.”

 

She groaned. “Ugh. Fine. I’ll talk to her when I see her.”

 

She felt a pat on her head.

 

---

 

“Hey.”

 

She looked up. “Hi?”

 

“Mind if I join you?” She pointed to the chair in front of her.

 

“Uh...” She looked left and right.

 

She noticed the hesitation. “Oh... okay. I think I see someone standing up over the-”

 

“It’s okay. You can sit here. I don’t mind.”

 

She smiled. “Thanks.”

 

A nod.

 

After a few minutes, she decided to speak up.

 

“Um, Tiffany-ssi?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“About the rumor...” She trailed off; closely observing the other girl’s reaction.

 

“Oh, yes... that.”

 

She couldn’t read her expression. She cleared . “Well, I would just like to tell you that you shouldn’t be bothered by it. People here are mostly nosy and bored. When they don’t have anything better to do with their lives, they create pointless rumors. I myself am a victim of that many times. I probably hold the record for having the most rumors.” She paused to chuckle, but stopped herself midway when she saw the girl staring blankly at her. “Anyway, don’t mind them. The rumor will eventually die down. Give it another week and they’ll crop up a new rumor which involves someone else. As long as we both know the truth, then there’s nothing to worry about.”

 

She slowly nodded.

 

After a few minutes, the girl spoke up.

 

“Uh... what’s your name again?”

 

---

 

“She doesn’t know you?!”

 

“You’re missing the point.”

 

She was ignored. “How can someone in this school not know you?! Even kindergartners know you!”

 

She frowned. “She’s a new student. She’s not expected to know everyone.”

 

“Oh come on! Your face is probably plastered on the school’s brochure. I honestly think they have first day orientations to let new students know about you. They might as well use your face as the school logo! So again... how can she not know you?!”

 

She sighed. “I think it’s a nice change. Someone not knowing me, and probably not having preconceived notions about me, is a fresh change. I like it.”

 

“I still don’t know how she doesn’t know you. It’s weird. Anyway, this strengthens our point that you two are not a couple. She doesn’t know you! How can two people be a couple when they don’t know each other.”

 

“I know her.”

 

“Are you saying you’re a couple?”

 

“No. I was just saying that I know her.”

 

“Then shut up. We finally have proof that the rumor’s not true.”

 

She sighed. “Fine. Do whatever you want. I’m going out for a while.”

 

---

 

“Oh! You’re here too! What a coincidence.”

 

She turned her head. “Er... Taeyeon right?”

 

“Yup! Hi Tiffany-ssi!” She waved and smiled.

 

“Hi.” She returned the smile.

 

“Welp, I’m going to order now. Nice seeing you here.”

 

“You too.”

 

5 minutes after, she looked up from her laptop and saw Taeyeon looking around the café, probably looking for a seat. She looked around as well and saw that there were no vacant seats left. She took her laptop bag off the seat in front of her before calling the other girl.

 

“Taeyeon-ssi!” She waved her hand at the confused girl and pointed at the vacant chair in front of hers.

 

The said girl smiled widely as she made her way to the seat. “Thanks.”

 

“No problem.” She let out a small smile and went back to her laptop.

 

For a few minutes, no noise can be heard from their table except for the sound of Tiffany typing and Taeyeon sipping on her shake.

 

“Done.” She muttered with a smile and closed her laptop.

 

Taeyeon looked at her and smiled. “Homework?”

 

She shook her head. “Nah. Just something I need to do for my dad.”

 

“Ah...”

 

Silence engulfed them until Tiffany decided to break it. “Taeyeon-ssi, sorry for my rudeness yesterday. I’m jus not really good with names and well... faces. I only found out this morning how popular you are in school. I’m sorry if I ever disrespected you.”

 

“No no no. Don’t say that. I’m actually relieved that you don’t know me. It’s quite refreshing to hear someone ask me who I am in this school.” She chuckled. “I’m not being a big-headed jerk okay? I actually don’t like it. And I honestly don’t know how a lot of people know me. I’m just a normal girl. People who know me try to act close and it’s very irritating when they don’t even try to get to know me first. So I might sound like a weirdo, but you asking me my name made me jump for joy.” She laughed.

 

Tiffany laughed along with her. “Wow, for a big-headed jerk, you’re actually very nice.”

 

“I am.” She beamed. “Anyway, about the rumor, let’s just not mind it okay? As I’ve said yesterday, they’re just a bunch of bored and nosy people. When they make rumors about me, I just ignore them. Sorry for dragging you into this, although it was unintentional on my part.”

 

“No need to say sorry. You didn’t know they’d make up a rumor. You have some wild fans out there.”

 

Taeyeon laughed. “Yeah, if you can call them that, then sure, I do have some wild ‘fans’ out there.”

 

Tiffany laughed with her.

 

“So, Tiffany-ssi, friends?” She extended her right hand while having a big smile on her face.

 

“Friends. And it’s Tiffany to you.” She shook the extended hand.

 

---

 

“You’re meeting her again?”

 

“Yes. Why do you make it sound like it’s a bad thing?”

 

“I’m not?”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“But you two are quite close now huh?”

 

“I guess?”

 

“That’s probably why the rumor won’t stop spreading.”

 

She shrugged. “I told you, I don’t care about the rumor. We don’t care about the rumor. We’re being optimistic about this. I mean, I gained a friend and a potential best friend.”

 

“You’re replacing me?!”

 

“Who says I can’t have two best friends? And besides, you’re already more than a best friend to me. You’re like my sister. Even my parents treat you like their child, so don’t worry.” She smiled.

 

Her ‘more-than-bestfriend’ smiled back. “How many times do you see each other in a week?”

 

“Almost everyday except the weekends when she has to work.”

 

“Tae, do you like her?”

 

“Yes.” She answered.

 

“No... not the kind that you just want to be friends with her, but... like you want her to be your girlfriend.”

 

She thought for a moment. “I’m not exactly sure. I haven’t thought about it but I am happy when she’s around, so... I don’t know.”

 

“Maybe you do like her.”

 

“Maybe I do.”

 

“Maybe that’s why you don’t mind the rumor.”

 

She smiled. “Yeah, maybe.”

 

---

 

“Ask her!”

 

“No! What if she rejects me? I just gained a new friend, I don’t want to lose her now!”

 

“You’ll gain another friend! A girlfriend! Now go ask her!”

 

“No! Yah! Stop pushing me you freak!” She struggled to keep her balance amidst the hard pushes.

 

“Go... Ask... HER!!!” She was pushed so hard that she almost tripped if not for someone catching her by the waist. She looked up only to see Tiffany looking at her worriedly.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Taeyeon got herself out of Tiffany’s hold and looked around for Yuri only to find out that the girl left her. She faced Tiffany again and blushed at their proximity. “Uh... Y-yeah. Just tripped.”

 

Tiffany smiled. “Okay. Be careful next time then.”

 

“Uh... Tiffany...”

 

Tiffany turned around. “Yes?”

 

“Do you... uh...”

 

Tiffany stepped closer. “What is it Taeyeon? What’s wrong?”

 

“Are you free after school?”

 

“After school? No. I’m not. Why?”

 

“Oh…” Taeyeon sighed dejectedly. “Nothing.”

 

“I’m not free because we’re going out. Remember? You invited me to get ice cream after school.”

 

“O-oh! Ye-yeah! Sorry, I forgot.”

 

Tiffany smiled. “It’s alright. See you after school then.”

 

---

 

“Why are you so fidgety?”

 

She looked up. “What? I’m n-not.”

 

“You’re n-not?” She smiled teasingly.

 

“Stop teasing me.” She whined.

 

“Only if you tell me what’s wrong. Come on, we’ve known each other for months now. Aren’t we close enough?”

 

“We are!”

 

“Then?”

 

“Fine.” She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again and looking straight at her. “You know the rumor that went around about the two of us?”

 

She nodded slowly. “Uh-huh.”

 

“What do you say to… uh…”

 

“To…?” She urged her on.

 

“To… makingthoserumorstrue?” She said quickly. Earning a confused stare from the other girl.

 

“What?”

 

“Please don’t make me say it again.”

 

She frowned. “Just once. Say it again just once, and slower this time please.”

 

“What do you say to… making those rumors true?” She closed her eyes, afraid of the reaction she’ll get.

 

“Are you serious?”

 

She opened her eyes to see Tiffany smiling widely. “Y-yes.”

 

“You’re not just asking me because you want the rumors to stop?”

 

“No! Of course not. I’ve told you… I don’t mind those rumors. I just… really like you.” She looked down as her face heated up.

 

Tiffany chuckled. “I just… really like you too.” She was blushing as well, but she couldn’t care less. “So… I’d say… why not? Let’s make those rumors true.”

 

Taeyeon smiled widely.

 

---

 

“How was it?”

 

She smiled and showed her friend the empty jewelry box. “You tell me.”

 

She was engulfed in a tight hug. “I told you she’d accept you! I’m so happy for you Taeng! Now the rumors can spread and we can tell them that it’s no longer a rumor!”

 

“I have to thank whoever started that rumor. Maybe rumors aren’t so bad after all.” She laughed.

 

---

 

“Do you regret being with me?”

 

“Why would you ask such a silly question?”

 

She shrugged. “I don’t know. There are always rumors about me. Even after the rumor about us died down, people still talked about me.”

 

“Are those new rumors true? That you’re cheating on me?”

 

“What?! No! Of course not. You of all people should know that none of those rumors are true.”

 

She nodded. “Then, no. I don’t regret being with you.”

 

They were engulfed in a comfortable silence while holding onto each other.

 

“I’m really happy that rumor spread.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Really? Why?” Tiffany asked playfully.

 

“Well… if not for that, we wouldn’t be like this now.”

 

“Hmm… guess you’re right.”

 

“You know what?” Tiffany asked.

 

“What?”

 

“I started liking you when I first saw you.”

 

Taeyeon pulled away from Tiffany’s hold a bit to look at her. “Eh? But… when I talked to you, you told me you don’t know me.”

 

Tiffany shrugged. “I was shy and I thought you might get shocked if I suddenly know who you are. But what I said about not knowing you being popular was true. I did just found out the day before we bumped into each other in the café.”

 

“Ah…”

 

“So I’m glad that that rumor did spread. If not, I don't think you'll talk to me again.” She smiled.

 

“Wow, you must really like me.” Taeyeon said teasingly but flinched when she thought Tiffany was going to hit her.

 

When she turned to look at her again, she saw Tiffany smirking. “Of course, I really did. Otherwise…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

…I wouldn’t have started that rumor in the first place.” She winked and laughed.

 


Do you get it??? HAHAHA! :) See you when I see you! Bye! :)