Let Me Be The One

Royal Ice

 

Songs Part Two: Let Me Be The One

 

 

“So what exactly do you want me to do?”

 

“I don’t know. Confront her, maybe? It’s not that hard you know.”

 

“I know.”

 

“But?”

 

“But my emotions might get the best of me. I might say things I’m going to regret later on.”

 

“Then how do you plan on talking to her?”

 

“I don’t know. I was hoping you could think of something. Any other plans?”

 

“Beats me.”

 

“Wow, thanks.”

 

“I’ll come up with something. For now, let’s finish eating lunch and head back to the office.”

 

“Okay.”

 

-

 

“Do you want to go out tomorrow night? We haven’t gone out for weeks. I kinda miss having a date with my girlfriend, you know,” she said as she stared at the TV, not really watching the movie playing.

 

“Um…”

 

“You have other plans?”

 

“Okay then.” She stood up. “I’ll go to bed now. I’ve seen this movie about ten times anyway. The girl dies in the end.” She retreated to the bedroom.

 

“Thanks so much for spoiling the ending for me,” Tiffany mumbled. She continued watching for another ten minutes before finally deciding to stop.

 

She spent another minute thinking of what else to do until she pulled out her phone from her pocket and dialed a number.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Honey, did I wake you up?”

 

“Yes, but that’s okay. What’s up? Why aren’t you sleeping yet?”

 

“Well, Taeyeon and I were watching a movie but she decided to bail out on me and just sleep. She even spoiled the ending for me so now I don’t want to watch it anymore.”

 

“Wow, a movie date huh? That’s nice,” Jessica said sarcastically.

 

“Oh come on, Honey, we’ll see each other tomorrow anyway.”

 

“Alright. So what do you want to talk about?”

 

They continued talking until the wee hours of the morning.

 

-

 

“So have you thought about how you’re going to do it?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Wow, you don’t seem to be bothered by it that much anymore.”

 

“I am, it’s just that… I’m used to it by now. Being brushed off like that.” She shrugged.

 

“Okay, let’s not talk about that now. What are you planning for your birthday?”

 

“Hm, you mean besides being ignored and left behind by my girlfriend of six years? Nothing.”

 

“Oh come on, I don’t think she’s that heartless. I’m pretty sure she’ll still remember your birthday.” Yuri paused. “Oh! Maybe she keeps blowing you off because she’s planning something for your birthday! Uh-huh! Nice one, Kwon Yuri!”

 

“I highly doubt that.”

 

“Don’t be such a pessimist, Taeyeon-ah.”

 

“I’m not. I’m just keeping it real.”

 

“You’re not. You’re being a pessimist. Come on, why don’t we plan something for your birthday then?”

 

“It’s a month from now. Don’t you think it’s a bit too early to plan anything?”

 

“It’s not. It’s never too early to plan for a party! Come on! What do you want? We can hire a clown, if that’s what you want.”

 

“I was not deprived of my childhood, Yul. I’ve seen a clown before and trust me, even when I was two years old, I hardly found them a tad bit funny.”

 

“Okay fine, so maybe I’m the one who wants the clown. But come on, Taeyeon-ah! Let’s plan this birthday of yours.”

 

“Let’s plan a week before it.”

 

“You really like bringing down the mood, don’t you?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Why are you my best friend again?”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. “I’m your only friend.”

 

Yuri scratched her head. “Ah yeah, don’t remind me.”

 

“You asked, remember?”

 

“It was a rhetorical question, Taeyeon-ah.”

 

“Doesn’t mean I can’t answer it.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

-

 

“Wanna go out with me tonight?”

 

Tiffany looked up from her phone. “Tonight?”

 

“Yeah, tonight.”

 

“Well, you see,” she racked her brain for a way to tell Taeyeon that she can’t. “Um…”

 

“Other plans?”

 

“Yes, sor–”

 

“It’s fine. I’m going over to Yuri’s.” She took her keys from the counter and headed out.

 

-

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hey.” She smiled.

 

“Do you have anything on Friday?”

 

“Hm… not that I know of. Why?”

 

“Wanna go out?”

 

“Um…”

 

Taeyeon silently sighed. “If that’s the case then I’ll just go out with Yuri and Yoona. Is that okay?”

 

“Well, yeah. I guess.”

 

“Okay. Thanks.” Taeyeon walked to their room and close the door.

 

-

 

“Taeyeon, where is she right now?”

 

“Hm? Oh, I don’t know. Probably hanging out with her friends or something,” she answered nonchalantly.

 

“Why aren’t you bothered that your girlfriend isn’t here for your birthday?”

 

She shrugged. “What’s new? Today’s just another day that she’s not with me anyway.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

She looked at the two people in front of her. “When exactly was the last time you’ve seen her with me? Outside our apartment?”

 

The younger girl thinks for a few seconds before responding. “I think it was your birthday last year. After that, we’ve never really been able to hang out with the two of you anymore. It was always just you.”

 

She leaned back on her chair. “I rest my case.”

 

“But this isn’t just another day, Taeyeon-ah. It’s your birthday.”

 

“Tell her that.”

 

“Did she even greet you?” Yuri asked.

 

“No. I woke up to an empty bed this morning. Not that it was surprising or anything.”

 

“What’s up with her? She’s not like that,” Yoona said.

 

“Well, that’s her now.”

 

Yoona and Yuri both sighed before deciding on completely changing the topic. After a few more hours of talking, they decided to head home.

 

“Guys, I think we should go home. It’s a bit late now anyway. Thanks for being with me on my birthday, guys. It really means a lot to me that I get to spend it with the two of you.”

 

“You should’ve spent it with your girlfriend,” Yoona muttered.

 

Taeyeon sighed and weakly smiled. “That was the idea, but where exactly is she now?”

 

The other two stayed quiet.

 

“Right. Well, bye guys!”

 

She hugged both of them and went to the car park.

 

-

 

“Where were you?”

 

“Oh, you’re here?” She was genuinely surprised. “That’s new.” She shrugged. “I was out with Yuri and Yoona. I thought I told you that. I guess you forgot.”

 

“Ah,” Tiffany nodded. “I guess I did.”

 

“Do you still need to say something?” Please don’t tell me you forgot about my birthday.

 

Tiffany was confused. “Huh? No, I don’t.”

 

She sighed. “Right. I’ll sleep now then. Don’t forget to turn off the lights before you turn in. Goodnight.”

 

-

 

“I’m going out.”

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Yes, of course. Why?”

 

“You don’t seem to be yourself lately.”

 

“Wow,” Taeyeon chuckled, “you noticed that much?”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Tiffany frowned.

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “Nothing.”

 

“Okay, well, I better go. Bye.”

 

Taeyeon sunk back into her seat and sighed. Why can’t you just tell me?

 

-

 

She woke up to the sound of her phone’s ringing tone.

 

“Hello?” Her voice was still laced with sleep. She cleared .

 

“Taeyeon-ah! Happy anniversary!”

 

“Yoong?”

 

“Well, who else?”

 

“Stop shouting. You woke me up, so my mind’s still not working.”

 

“Oh! Sorry. Well, happy anniversary! What are you planning on doing today with Tiffany?”

 

Upon hearing the name, she looked to the other side of the bed and was not surprised to see it empty. “We’ll be playing hide and seek.”

 

“You’re really weird, you know that? Anyway, Yul said you should meet her at the coffee shop at about ten. She said she has a plan. I don’t know what she meant by that but I decided not to ask her anyway. You know how her mind works.”

 

“Yup, I do. You do too, so I don’t know why you still agreed to be with her.”

 

“Well, love makes us do crazy things sometimes.”

 

Taeyeon glanced at the empty side of the bed and shook her head. “Yeah. I guess. Well, I gotta go and prepare to meet your girlfriend now. Thanks again and bye.”

 

“No problem. Bye!”

 

-

 

“Yul, your human vacuum of a girlfriend told me to come and meet you here. What’s up?”

 

“I know how to tell Tiffany,” Yuri said in a serious tone.

 

“Oh? How?”

 

“All you need to do is to memorize this,” she handed her a piece of paper, “and bring Tiffany to Sooyoung’s bar later tonight. Leave the rest to me.”

 

She raised an eyebrow. “What is this?”

 

“Lyrics? Come on, Taeyeon-ah. I consider you a genius so please don’t let me down.”

 

“What the… you know what I mean! What does this have to do with Tiffany.”

 

“Just read it and memorize. Oh and do anything and everything to make sure she’s there tonight.”

 

“Okay.”

 

-

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hey,” Tiffany said without looking up from her laptop.

 

“Um, you’re probably doing something tonight but um, can you do me a favor and come with me?”

 

“What for? Did we plan anything for tonight?”

 

Taeyeon held back a scoff. “No.”

 

“Oh, um…”

 

She saw Tiffany hesitating. “I promise I won’t bother you about it again after night. Just please come with me?”

 

She would have to cancel on Jessica tonight but she agreed. “Okay then.”

 

-

 

“Thanks for coming with me tonight.”

 

“It’s nothing, Taeyeon-ah.” She smiled.

 

Sooyoung came up the stage and spoke into the microphone. “Good evening everyone! Welcome! Welcome! As you may all know, I don’t usually come here to speak, but since it was a special request from a friend, I cannot turn it down. So, tonight is a special night for two of our guests.” She glanced at Taeyeon and Tiffany’s table. Taeyeon doesn’t react but Tiffany seemed confused. “To tell you the truth, they’re actually celebrating their 7th anniversary today! Let’s give them a round of applause!

 

While everyone was clapping, Taeyeon flashed a small smile while Tiffany turned her head to look at Taeyeon with her eyes as wide as tennis balls. Our anniversary! Today! Her birthday was two weeks ago! I forgot!

 

Taeyeon felt Tiffany’s eyes on her but she didn’t look back. Instead, she took a sip of her drink and stands up before heading to the stage.

 

“Let me introduce to you this friend of mine. Taeyeon!”

 

“Taeyeon will be singing something for us tonight. Please show her some support! Thank you!”

 

Tiffany stared wide-eyed at Taeyeon who was now standing in the middle of the huge stage with a microphone on her hand.

 

-

 

“H-hi guys.” So embarrassing.

 

“Go Taeyeon!” She heard one of the audience members say.

 

She laughed awkwardly. “T-thanks.”

 

She took a deep breath to calm her racing heart. “So, um, I’m here tonight because like what Sooyoung said, I’m celebrating my 7th anniversary with my girlfriend.” She tried to smile as she looked for Tiffany’s face.

 

She swallowed. “I just want to dedicate this song to her. I’m… I… T-thanks for the best seven years of my life. I don’t know what will happen after this but…” She trailed off, not knowing how to continue. She gave the DJ the signal to start the music.

 

Soon, music filled the bar and Taeyeon started singing.

 

Somebody told me you were leaving

I didn't know

Somebody told me you're unhappy

But it doesn't show

Somebody told me that you don't want me no more

So your walkin’ out the door

Nobody told me you've been crying

Every night

Nobody told me you were dying

But didn't want to fight

Nobody told me that you fell out of love for me

So I’m setting you free

 

 “Tae, I’m telling you, I saw the hurt in her eyes. I don’t know what to make of it, but it’s surely not nothing.”

 

“I get what your saying Yuri, but I can’t just straight up tell her that she’s cheating on me. What if she’s not? What if that Jessica girl just likes her?”

 

“I don’t know Tae. I just don’t feel so good about this.”

 

 

Let me be the one to break it up

So you won't have to make excuses

We don't need to find a set up where

Someone wins and someone loses

We just have to say our love was true

But has now become a lie

So I’m tellin’ you I love you one last time and goodbye

 

Somebody told me you still love me

I don't know why

Nobody told me that you only needed time to fly

Somebody told me that you want to come back

When our love is real again

 

After a night out with Yuri and Yoona, Taeyeon stumbles into her apartment but trying her best to do so quietly so as to not wake up her girlfriend, who she was so sure was already sleeping.

 

Or so she thought...

 

“Jess? What’s up?” She heard her girlfriend say.

 

“I miss you too.” What? Jessica?

 

“Just watching TV.”

 

“I should be the one saying sorry. I promise I’ll think of something to break it off with Tae. You know you’re the one I love right? Just wait a little longer and I’m all yours.”

 

She felt her heart break. She would’ve never expected Tiffany to cheat on her. She wanted to go up to the other girl and talk to her, but her feet were glued to the floor, so she had no choice but to listen to their conversation.

 

“So aren’t you going to sleep yet?”

 

“You know I’ll do anything for you. What song do you want me to sing then?”

 

With every note Tiffany sang, she felt like her heart was being stepped on repeatedly.

 

Let me be the one to break it up

So you won't have to make excuses

We don't need to find a set up where

Someone wins and someone loses

We just have to say our love was true

But has now become a lie

So I’m tellin’ you I love you one last time and goodbye

 

She tries to push back the tears that were threatening to fall when she remembered Jessica and Tiffany’s conversation that night.

 

Just turn around and walk away

We don't have to live like this no, no

But if you love me still then stay

Don't keep me waiting for that final kiss

We could work together through this test

Or we could work through it apart

I just need to get this of my chest

That you will always have my heart

Let me be the one

 

While reading the song lyrics Yuri gave her, she received a message from the girl

 

-Tae, you know the plan right? Yoona and I will be right by the door so just come to us after-

 

-Okay, thanks-

 

With that, she packed all of her stuff. Luckily, Tiffany was still out at that time.

 

Let me be the one to break it up

So you won't have to make excuses

We don't need to find a set up where

Someone wins and someone loses

We just have to say our love was true

But has now become a lie

So I’m tellin’ you I love you one last time....

 

She finished the song and glanced at Tiffany one last time. The girl was frozen on her seat and tears were streaming down her cheeks. Taeyeon goes down the stage to get her things and headed to where Yuri and Yoona were. They left.

 

…and goodbye.