One More Try [1/2]

Royal Ice

Songs Part Five-A: One More Try

 

 

“So, are you done doing what I asked you to do?”

 

“It took me a while, but yes, I think I’ve done it.” She handed the paper to the other girl.

 

“Good, now all you have to do is to come to the bar later.”

 

Taeyeon cocked an eyebrow. “What for?”

 

“Just come later. No more asking stupid questions.”

 

“My questions are not stupid. I need to know why have to go to the bar, Yuri.”

 

“Since when did we have to have a reason to hangout at the bar?”

 

“Since Sooyoung told me that Tiffany’s been going there everyday for a week and a half.”

 

Smarter than I thought. “So what if Tiffany’s there? You mean you’re going to stop hanging out with us at the bar just because she’s there?”

 

“For the mean time, yes.”

 

Yuri sighed. “Just come to the bar, Taeyeon-ah. We miss you there.”

 

“I’ll think about it.”

 

Yuri nodded.

 

-

 

“Do you think your plan will work?”

 

“Honestly.”

 

She nodded.

 

“No.”

 

She frowned. “Then why are we still doing this?”

 

A shrug. “This is the only thing I could think of on such short notice.”

 

“What?! I should’ve talked to Yoona instead.”

 

Yuri smacked the back of the girl’s head. “Be thankful that I’m helping you here. I’m doing this against my will remember? So be grateful of what I’m giving you.”

 

“Fine. You didn’t have to hurt me though.”

 

“It’s more fun that way.”

 

“Whatever. Anyway, so did you persuade her to come to the bar.”

 

Yuri shook her head.

 

Tiffany’s eyes widened. “What?! Then how will the plan work?”

 

Yuri shrugged. “I don’t know. We’ll just have to wait, I guess. This is why I don’t think my plan will work. I’m not even sure if she’s coming.”

 

“Oh my God,” Tiffany buried her face on her palms. “What am I supposed to do?”

 

“Wait. That’s all you can do now.”

 

Tiffany sighed. “You know I will.”

 

Yuri nodded. “Uh huh. And she probably knows that too.”

 

“You think she’ll decide to come if she knows I’m waiting for her.”

 

“Of course not. You’re the reason she hasn’t been to work for almost two weeks now and you haven’t exactly done anything to talk to her again.”

 

“What?! What are you saying?! I am! That’s why I’m here talking to you!”

 

“Sunny’s right. You are dumb.”

 

“What is it with people and insulting me nowadays?!”

 

“You come to me instead of going to her.”

 

“But I don’t know where she is! That’s why I’m talking to her best friend!”

 

“Did you even try to message her?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then why are you so mad that I called you dumb?”

 

“Are you saying that she’s still using her old number?”

 

“Didn’t you hear the song she sang two weeks ago? She wrote that because she couldn’t forget about you; she couldn’t move on. She was still hoping for you to call her and come back.”

 

“Then why did she run away when I wanted to talk to her last week?”

 

Yuri shrugged. “Reflex. You run away from things that hurt you,” she looked at Tiffany, “or in this case, the people that hurt you.”

 

Tiffany was in awe. “Wow, Yuri. I never thought that you’re capable of being serious. All this time you’ve been laughing about the most nonsensical things that I thought you never take things seriously.”

 

“Insult me one more time and I’ll personally see to it that Taeyeon never forgives you,” Yuri said calmly as she lifted her cup and sipped her coffee.

 

Tiffany instantly shuts up.

 

“Good. Now, just make sure you’ll be there at the agreed time and let’s hope for the best. I’m leaving now. I don’t like the coffee here, it tastes like water with some kind of black bean.”

 

“That is coffee,” Tiffany mumbled to herself but Yuri still heard it.

 

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that just because I don’t feel like being violent today.” Tiffany shivered at the low voice. “So goodbye!” Yuri finally said with a bright tone.

 

“Bipolar.”

 

“I heard that!”

 

-

 

“You came!”

 

She shrugged. “As if you didn’t know I would come.”

 

Yuri shook her head. “I didn’t. Really. But you’re here now, so let’s enjoy.”

 

“Hey guys.”

 

Both looked up to see Sunny smiling at them. “Hi, Sunny.”

 

“Sooyoung said she lacks one singer for the night and she was hoping either of you could do one song.”

 

“I personally think that I have the best voice here, but I only sing for my Yoong. So, I’m sorry, but I can’t.”

 

Sunny and Taeyeon rolled their eyes.

 

“Yeah right. As if Yoona makes you sing. If she told you that you have a great voice then she must be deaf.” Sunny scoffed at Yuri before facing Taeyeon. “How about you?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “Sorry, Sunny, I don’t feel like singing right now. And I’m still on leave. Maybe you could find another willing audience member?”

 

“I doubt it. And besides, you’re the two people here that Sooyoung trust.  Taeng, please don’t make me force Yuri to sing? I wouldn’t want my girlfriend’s business to go down.”

 

“It’s alright. Talk as if I’m not here; as if I’m not listening, as if I’m not hurt,” Yuri faked a sob.

 

Taeyeon ignored Yuri. “I shouldn’t even be here.”

 

“But you are. Please just do me and Sooyoung this favor?”

 

Taeyeon stayed quiet for a while before sighing. “Fine.”

 

Sunny squealed in delight. “Great! Thanks, Taeyeon! I owe you one!”

 

“No, you owe me a lot! Now help me decide what to sing!”

 

Sunny shrugged while Yuri was rummaging her bag.

 

“Yah, you asked me to sing but you couldn’t even suggest a song? Come on, Sunny, I don’t really want to–”

 

“Tae, you can sing the song you composed!” Yuri interrupted.

 

“Forget About Me? Hell no! The last time I sang that, someone who wasn’t supposed to hear it, did.”

 

“I didn’t mean that song!”

 

“Yul, I only wrote that song!”

 

“Yeah, but you made the melody for this!” She handed Taeyeon a piece of paper.

 

Taeyeon looked at it and said, “This? I can’t sing his. It’s not even mine! The owner would probably kill me if I sang this.”

 

“Why would they kill you if you gave life to their writing?”

 

“Aish, Yul. I can’t sing this so–”

 

“And now, our next performer, Kim Taeyeon!”

 

“Go, Taeyeon-ah! It’s either this song or Forget About Me.” Yuri smirked as she saw Taeyeon’s face fall. “Your choice.”

 

Taeyeon sighed. “Fine.” She started walking towards the stage but stopped then looked at Yuri with a wide smile. “The DJ doesn’t have the tape.” She mentally praised herself for thinking of a way to get out of singing.

 

Yuri smirked. “Oh, don’t worry. I already gave it to Sunny,” she said as she pointed to the short girl who was making her way to the DJ, tape clutched on her right hand.

 

“What? How did you even–”

 

“Now go!” Yuri pushed her towards the stage before she could finish.

 

Taeyeon headed to the stage still wondering why Yuri was carrying the tape.

 

“Good luck.” She looked to her right and saw Sooyoung standing there, giving her two thumbs up.

 

“Thanks.”

 

-

 

“What time is it?’ She asked herself while making her way to the living room. Upon reaching, she looked at the clock.

 

7PM.

 

Her eyes widened. “I have to go to the bar!”

 

She quickly changed and rushed out of her apartment.

 

When she arrived, she saw Yuri sitting alone at a table. She went in but instantly stopped in her tracks when heard the music. She looked towards the stage and saw the person she’s been missing the most singing her song.

 

Without wasting anymore time, she went to Yuri’s table and immediately asked for an explanation. “Yuri! What is this? Why is Taeyeon singing my song?! How does she even know this exists?!”

 

“Relax. This is part of my plan. And she doesn’t know the song’s yours.”

 

“How am I supposed to relax, Yu–” she stopped talking when she realized that the music stopped. She looked around and saw that the audience had confused looks on their faces. She looked towards the stage and saw Taeyeon looking at her direction.

 

She froze.

 

-

 

She signaled the DJ to play the music.

 

It's too late now still I've got something to say

Girl I'm sorry that I treated you that way

Time has gone now and the moment has passed

When I had the chance to try and make us last

All alone now and it's no ones fault but mine

Couldn't see the truth I had them blinded eyes

You got moved on still I don't give a damn

Gotta get this off my chest while I can

 

Every single hour of every single day

I miss you more and more

And I don't know what to say

I knew I closed the door

Your gone and on your way

But now, I need you, I need you

 

Wanna take it back to the day when we first met

If I could I'd start all over again

Our love is my regret

 

Wanna take it back to the day when we first met

If I could I'd start all over again

Our love is my regret

 

Her eyes wandered around the bar only to stop at a familiar figure arguing with her best friend. Her eyes widened. She stopped singing.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, what happened? Continue the song.” Someone whispered to her from the side. She didn’t look to see who it was. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes before continuing with the song.

 

Should have known then what I know now

Dying every second that you’re not around

Should have been there

When you needed me babe

Now I'm by myself on my bended knee

Should have loved you

While I had the chance to

Couldn't realize that you were the truth

Should have showed you

What you meant to me

Baby now I see that you are my queen

 

Every single hour of every single day

I miss you more and more

And I don't know what to say

I knew I closed the door

I've sent you on your way

And now you’re gone, gone, gone-

Can we take it back babe?

 

Wanna take it back to the day when we first met

If I could I'd start all over again

Our love is my regret

 

Wanna take it back to the day when we first met

If I could I'd start all over again

Our love is my regret

 

The song ended and she opened her eyes to take a glance at Yuri’s table but saw no one. She went down the stage and headed for the door. Before she could step out, she heard a voice. “Taeyeon, wait!”

 

Not again. She turned around but was surprised to see Yuri instead of Tiffany. “What is it, Yul?”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Home,” she whispered simply.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because she’s here.”

 

“Tiffany?”

 

“Yes. Who else?”

 

“Can’t you talk to her?”

 

“Why should I?”

 

“Because she wrote that song for you.”

 

She froze. She suddenly found it hard to breathe. “She was the one who wrote the lyrics to that song?”

 

“Yes. Now will you please talk to her?”

 

She took a deep breath. “Her writing that song doesn’t change the fact that she cheated on me.”

 

“It doesn’t, I know. But she’ll gladly make it up to you forever. You of all people should know that when she writes, it comes from her heart. This song came from her heart, Taeyeon-ah.”

 

Silence.

 

“You know I hate cheaters and the whole idea of cheating. I hated her for that remember? But I saw how much effort she made just talk to you.”

 

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow. “She asked for your help?”

 

“Yes. I didn’t want to do it, but I came across this song and it showed me how much she regretted cheating on you.”

 

No response.

 

”If you don’t want to go back to her then that’s totally fine. Not for her, of course, but it’s fine. Just hear what she has to say.”

 

“Did she tell you why she cheated on me?”

 

Yuri shook her head. “No. I guess she wanted you to be the first to know.”

 

Taeyeon only nodded her head.

 

“So will you talk to her?”

 

Taeyeon sighed. As much as she didn’t want to, she still had that urge to find out the reason Tiffany cheated on her. “I guess I can give her a chance to explain.” She started to head back to Yuri’s table before she was stopped by the younger girl.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“I’m going to talk to her. Didn’t you just tell me to?”

 

“I didn’t mean that. I meant, why are you going back to the table?”

 

“I’m going to talk to her there.”

 

“She’s not there. Here, take this.” Yuri took out her car keys and handed them to Taeyeon.

 

“What is this for?”

 

“I told her to go to your house before you ended your song just in case I couldn’t stop you from storming out of the bar.”

 

“So either way, I’m still going to have to talk to her, huh?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Taeyeon sighed. “Fine.” She made her way to the parking lot and entered Yuri’s car before driving off.

 

-

 

Tiffany was sitting by Taeyeon’s apartment door. It had been an hour since Yuri told her to leave the bar and go to Taeyeon’s house.

 

More minutes passed and she was slowly losing hope that Yuri persuaded Taeyeon to talk to her. Just as she was about to stand up and leave, she heard a noise coming from the end of the hall. A few seconds later, she saw a petite figure walking towards her. It was Taeyeon.

 

-

 

Taeyeon made sure to take her time in driving. She didn’t want to face Tiffany just yet. It took her thirty minutes to get to her house when it would usually just take her ten.

 

She walked slowly towards the elevator, thinking of possible reasons Tiffany cheated on her months ago. She kept thinking until she reached her apartment floor. She went out and walked slowly again.

 

Upon nearing her apartment, she stopped when she saw a figure sitting by her door. The figure looked up and they stared at each other for a few seconds before Taeyeon finally sighed and started walking again.

 

-

 

Taeyeon was slowly walking towards her. When she reached the door, Tiffany stood up and muttered a ‘hello’.

 

Taeyeon didn’t answer. She placed her key into the keyhole and opened the door. She looked at Tiffany then sighed again before saying, “Let’s talk inside.”

 

Tiffany complied.

 

Once inside, Taeyeon headed to the couch and sat on one end.

 

Tiffany stood awkwardly by the door.

 

“You can sit.”

 

Tiffany sat on the opposite side of the couch.

 

No one talked.

 

Taeyeon was growing impatient.

 

“Will you please just tell me why you’re here?” She was irritated.

 

Tiffany gulped. “I… uh… I… um…”

 

Taeyeon sighed yet again. “Tell me now, please. I promised Yuri I was going to let you talk. Please don’t make me break my promise.”

 

Tiffany took a deep breath and gathered courage. “Taeyeon, I’m sorry.”

 

Taeyeon waited for her to continue.

 

“I’m sorry for cheating on you with Jessica. I shouldn’t have done that.”

 

No response.

 

Tiffany sighed. “I’m really sorry, Taeyeon-ah. I regret everything I did. I really do.” She looked down. “I thought I loved Jessica. I did to some extent, I guess, but I never realized how much I was still in love with you until a month after we broke up. I saw you at the mall with a girl and it felt like my world crashed. I didn’t understand what I was feeling because I never felt that way with Jessica.“

 

She stopped to look at Taeyeon’s expressionless face.

 

She quickly looked down again. She felt tears threatening to fall anytime soon. “After that day, I started to miss things that you used to do. Jessica never did those things.”

 

“You should know that we are completely different,” Tiffany said without looking at her.

 

“I do.” She sighed. “I started to distance myself from her day by day but she didn’t seem to mind. She was always with her friends so I guess she didn’t notice. I didn’t mind either, that she was always with them. It gave me time to think about certain things. You, in particular.”

 

Taeyeon kept quiet.

 

“We broke up four months after, but no one walked away with a broken heart. She was happy that at least I was honest with her and–”

 

Taeyeon scoffed, effectively interrupting Tiffany. “At least you were honest with someone.”

 

Uncontrollable tears started to come out from Tiffany’s eyes but she continued. “A-and she said that I sh-should follow my heart. So here I am.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “What makes you think I’ll take you back?”

 

More tears fell. “I know there’s only a slight possibility that you’ll take me back but–”

 

“Good that you know your chances.”

 

Tiffany bit her lip. “–but I’m willing to make it up to your for as long as it takes.”

 

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes. “You haven’t told me why you cheated on me.”

 

“I… uh…” Tiffany gulped. “I guess I thought I was bored with our relationship.”

 

Taeyeon finally turned her head towards Tiffany with an eyebrow raised. “Excuse me? Bored?”

 

She nodded as she lowered her head. “Six years of doing the same thing made me think that our relationship was going nowhere. Everything was a routine. From the moment we woke up until we sleep again at night. Everything just kept repeating. Nothing was changing.”

 

“So you cheated on me?”

 

She didn’t answer and Taeyeon wasn’t expecting one.

 

“You were bored so you left me? You were bored so you looked for something new? I guess Jessica did things I never did?”

 

She still didn’t answer.

 

“If that’s the case then why are you here?”

 

“I realized that those routines were the reasons I still loved you even after six years.”

 

Taeyeon looked away.

 

“I started to miss everything. I guess I took everything for granted. I should’ve appreciated how even after six years, you’d still wake up so early in the morning to cook breakfast for me. How even after six years, you never got tired of holding my hand while driving. Six years and you’d still wait for me to come home before you sleep. You never failed to message me to never forget to eat during lunch all those six years.” She paused to wipe her wet cheeks. “And even after six years, you’re still able to tell me you love me with as much truth and emotion as you did when you first said it.”

 

Tears were now streaming down both girls’ cheeks.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, I’m really really sorry. I only realized now how much I took you for granted. How I took everything you did for granted. I was really stupid, but I’m really sorry. I still love you.”

 

Taeyeon was quietly crying.

 

“Yuri told me that you might not want to take me back even after I tell you all of this, and I completely understand.” She looked at Taeyeon, who still refused to look back at her. She felt her heart break a bit more. She stood up. “I’m sorry, Taeyeon.” She headed for the door and left.

 

Taeyeon finally let it all out. “I’m sorry Tiffany. Give me more time.”