us, who remain.

words don't come easy.

 

I’m staying late at the studio again to practice. The other members have already said their farewells for the day and have gone home to rest. My fingers move to the tune of our new song while I sing the verses, headphones in, completely immersed in our music.

 

A figure seats themselves beside me and I let out a scream, eyes bulging, sharply turning but also trying to quickly get up at the same time (I may have fallen over). As I’m recollecting myself, I see her bent over, laughing, tears forming at the corner of her eyes. 

 

I scramble back up on my feet, rubbing my rear from the slight fall, other hand flying up to my mouth while I laugh at my own theatrics.

 

Hyejin quickly makes her way over, taking my headphones off to rest around my neck and to move the hair away from my face. I’m too aware of the hand resting on my waist whilst another tucking the stray strands behind my ear. She tilts my head up by my chin and smiles. Not her mischievous grin with rule-breaking promises or her man killer curve and the flash of teeth. It was a small, sweet smile. Maybe the first I’ve seen from Hyejin. And maybe I was staring at her lips for too long because I’m broken from my trance as she pulls me back down to sit at the keyboard.

 

“Let’s practice together for a bit longer, Unnie. Then have dinner.”

 

I let out an awkward laugh and get back into position, heart swelling.

 

“You’re being weird Hyejin —wanting to spend time with your leader.”

 

I begin playing, messing up a bit at the flash of a smile in my peripherals, only reply being the gorgeous vocals of her verse.