your jokes are too harsh.

words don't come easy.

 

We’re often advised to not pay any attention to articles or scandals of any celebrity, especially when it involves us. There isn’t time for meaningless gossip to poison our minds during rehearsals, let alone our performances.

 

I usually come home later than the other members and noted Hyejin having dinner before I’m back. I enter our dorm, no Hyejin to be greeted with; she must be asleep, so I set my bag near the table. I have thoughts of eating my leftover topokki until I catch a glimpse of a carelessly tossed magazine beside my tote, right underneath the surface of our table. I pick it up to put aside for Hyejin, but immediately frown at the gossip covering the front page. I’m tempted to sift through the articles, curious to see what captured her interest to want to read the things we were told to stay away from, but I catch myself. 

 

I quietly walk towards Hyejin’s room, the light under her door off. I stand there for a moment, staring at nothing. What am I doing? Should I knock? Tell her goodnight? Ask her how’s she sleeping?

 

I raise my hand to knock, but then I freeze. I lower my hand to think for a moment. I raise it again. Freeze.

 

That’s when I hear it.

 

The most faint sound of a sniffle. Is Hyejin… crying?

 

I stare at the hand hovering in front of her door. My throat suddenly feels dry and maybe the floor is caving in. 

 

“Don’t cry,” I quietly choked out. I quickly put my hand to my mouth, embarrassed that she probably heard me. I sharply turned into my room, closing the door behind me and throwing the magazine away, ears feeling hot. 

 

I hope she had something to eat tonight.