chapter 7

Infatuation and Falling For You

Still February 14…

 

“So, did you like the chocolates?” I asked, looking expectantly at her.

 

I’ve been so nervous ever since this morning after I gave her those box of chocolates. Buying chocolates would have been the safe choice but I felt like going out of my way to make them. I didn’t want to buy her some commercial chocolates she could just buy herself. I wanted something sincere. From the heart if you will.

 

She grinned and nodded. “They tasted so much better than what I expected,” she teased.

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

I knitted my brows together.

 

“I wasn’t really expecting much when you said you made them,” was her honest response.

 

“Hey! I made you pancakes, didn’t I?” I argued.

 

“This and that are different.”

 

“If you must know, Yuri and Taeyeon helped me make them,” I informed her. “And here I thought I’d receive a heartfelt thank you.”

 

I pouted. Childish. I know.

 

The next thing I knew, she pinched my cheeks while cooing at me. “Aww. Did I hurt your feelings?” She then proceeded to pat my cheek. “Don’t worry. I enjoyed them very much. I even bragged about them to my sister.”

 

“Your sister, huh?”

 

“Yep. She asked if she could have some. Usually I would, but I said you made them specifically for me.” Tilting her head sideways, she added, “Right?”

 

“Of course,” I replied.

 

She was smiling so sweetly at me I had to slightly turn my face the other way to hide my blushing face.

 

Unbeknownst to her, although I did say Yuri and Taeyeon helped, I actually forced them to teach me and help me make chocolates. As frustrating as it was for them to teach me, because I kept eating the chocolates and playing around, they still bear with me. I did receive an earful from both of them afterwards because they have less chocolates to sell today because of me.

 

The important thing is, I succeeded in making chocolates that’s up to their standards.

 

I was walking her home from the station which has become a normal routine for us now. Something I’ve noticed for the past week is that she's been clinging to my arm more often. Ignoring my racing heart, who was I to decline?

 

When we reached her home, there in front of her gate was a bouquet. She looked at it curiously and picked it up. The bouquet was a mix of pink camellias, red and white carnations, and lavender roses held together in a pink wrapper tied with a white ribbon.

 

“Well, well, well. Look at Miss Popular,” I teased. “Does it say who’s it from?”

 

Furrowing her eyebrows together, she picked up the note stuck in between the flowers. I tried to sneak a peek but she immediately hid the note.

 

“Yah. This is for me,” she said.

 

I immediately backed away. “Okay. Okay. I’m just curious.”

 

Narrowing her eyes at me, she then read the note, making sure I couldn’t see.

 

“So? Does it say who’s it from?” I inquired.

 

“No.”

 

She continued to read the note. For a moment there, I thought I saw a small smile on her face.

 

“Then what does the note say?” I tried once more to get a glimpse of it but she hid it again.

 

“I said this is for me.”

 

“Now you’re making me even more curious,” I said. “Is there something embarrassing written in it? Something cheesy maybe?” I tried to guess.

 

“...”

 

“Or maybe it’s something lewd?” I guessed again.

 

With wide eyes and a reddening face, she hit me. “Yah! Who would-”

 

I laughed while shielding myself from the series of hits she directed at me. “So that’s a no then.”

 

With a huff, she said, ”I’m not showing you so don’t bother.”

 

Seeing how adamant she was, I gave up asking.

 

“I guess I’ll be on my way then,” I said. “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

 

“Uhm yeah. Thanks for the chocolates,” she thanked. “I’m sorry I couldn’t give you anything.”

 

I shrugged.

 

“I didn’t give it to you expecting something in return,” I said. “I just thought you’d like some.”

 

“Either way, thank you,” she thanked me again. “It’s literally very sweet of you.”

 

I grinned.

 

“I’m just glad you like them.”

 

“I do.”

 

“I should get going.”

 

“Yeah. Goodbye.”

 

“Bye.”

 

I stayed until she entered and closed the gate behind her.

 

Once I turned around, my face broke into a cheshire grin. There was a bounce to my steps as I hummed a happy tune on my way home.

 


 

“They just left it at my gate.”

 

Once I stepped inside the confines of my home, I immediately made a video call. Once her face showed up on the screen, I didn’t hesitate to tell her about what welcomed me in front of my gate earlier. I turned my phone to face the bouquet currently sitting on my coffee table so Tiffany could see.

 

“So you don’t know who’s it from?” she asked.

 

I shook my head no.

 

“There was only a note,” I said.

 

“Oooh. What does it say?” she said excitedly.

 

I debated whether or not I should read it out loud for her. I knew she’d tease me once she read it. I ended up giving it to her anyways.

 

The note read:
 

“You must be wondering who sent you this but I promise I’m not a stalker. Okay, maybe that’s not the smartest way to introduce myself. But I promise I’m not. Please take my word for it. Then again, you’re not obliged to believe me. I’m already embarrassed with my failed introduction.

 

Please bear with me and continue to read.

 

If it’s not already obvious, I like you.

 

I’ve been harboring feelings towards you for some time now. I think of you so much these days, I can’t focus on anything else. Sometimes, I worry my heart might wear out since it no longer beats just for me but for you too.

 

Was that too much?

 

I think I should stop there.

 

For now.

 

Those things aside, I wanted to greet you “Happy Valentine’s Day” with these flowers. I’m too much of a coward right now to greet you myself. For now, all I can offer you are these flowers and this note. I wanted to at least convey my feelings for you.

 

Sincerely yours,

 

Your not so secret admirer.


 

P.S. One day I hope I can tell you in person.”


 

Tiffany began shrieking with excitement after I finished reading.

 

“Would you calm down,” I demanded.

 

She ignored me as she continued to loudly express her excitement, saying how sweet and adorable the letter was.

 

“I can really feel their honesty,” she added.

 

“I’m not sure how to feel about it,” I said.

 

I’m flattered of course. I’m just at a loss. Who would send something like this? I’m not aware of anyone who would.

 

“It’s fine to feel happy about it. I mean someone did send you flowers on Valentine’s Day.”

 

I just nodded.

 

But what is this feeling? I’ve had it since earlier. A feeling of…

 

Anticipation.

 

Anticipation for what exactly?

 

Will I ever learn who it is?

 

I shrugged.

 

“There’s no point in dwelling any further,” I said. “Not now at least.”

 

“Aren’t you curious?”

 

“Of course I am. But, they didn’t exactly leave clues that can help point out who it's from.”

 

“You’re right,” she agreed.

 

I’d thought about ending the call there but I suddenly thought about asking how her date went. It’s only fair I ask about her day as well, even if I loathed the other person.

 

She even told me a month in advance that she was taking a day off from work today to spend time with her boyfriend.

 

Bleh.

 

Just thinking about his face makes me sick.

 

“How was your date by the way?” I asked. “Did he finally do something right this time?”

 

I didn’t bother to hide my hostility and annoyance. I don’t like the guy and I don’t think I will any time soon.

 

“...”

 

“I guess not,” I surmised from the somber expression that has taken over her face.

 

With a very deep sigh, she said, “About that...”

 

She proceeded to tell me of the events that occurred today, the break up; his reasons; and how he just left afterwards without as much hearing what she had to say.

 

I growled in anger.

 

Unlike me, Tiffany had at least liked her boyfriend. She had been very affectionate and loving towards him. And to think he’d repay her feeling by treating her badly.

 

I had urged her to break things off with him many times but Tiffany wouldn’t budge and would tell me he might just be having “personal problems”. She would remind me how sweet he was when they started dating.

 

Sure he was sweet when he was in front of me or in public, but I noticed the way he claimed Tiffany like an object. The moment he pointed out Tiffany’s clothes for being too casual during a get together with his friends, that immediately raised a red flag.

 

And more red flags after that.

 

“Well good riddance,” I commented. “Never liked the guy anyway.”

 

“You’ve always been blunt with your dislike of him. I should’ve listened to you,” she said. “I just didn’t want to believe him to be the guy you said he was, that you’re wrong and there was more to him.”

 

“No point in telling you ‘I told you so’,” I stated. “I’ve been meaning to put my foot down soon if he continued to treat you badly. Preferably on his d***.”

 

“Jess! Oh my god!” she exclaimed.

 

We both laughed anyway. But I meant it though. My choice of footwear would be high heels, preferably the thin ones so I could puncture a hole in his d***.

 

I thought her story ended there, but surprisingly she continued on what happened after her boy- scratch that -- ex-boyfriend left her. I was a bit taken aback from what I heard next.

 

“Taeyeon did?” I had to ask again. “As in Sooyoung’s friend, Taeyeon?”

 

I thought my ears betrayed me when she told me Taeyeon suddenly showed up in the restaurant. And I felt it weird how happy she seemed with it all.

 

“Yes. She was so nice and patient with me,” she said. “I was shocked. I mean, we barely know each other and she was kind enough to do that.”

 

I just remained quiet.

 

I bit down to stop my ever-widening grin as I listened to her ramble on about how kind and sweet Taeyeon was. At some point she finally stopped.

 

“Are you listening?” She shot me an annoyed look. “Why are you smiling like that?”

 

I shook my head and made sure to look as innocent as possible.

 

As if.

 

“I just wanted to say,” I began. Standing up from my seat, I continued, “You sure do move on fast.”

 

“What do you-”

 

Before she could say anymore I told her ‘good night’ and hung up.

 

It’s not that hard to figure out.

 

She can be so simple sometimes.

 


 

I huff in frustration from my best friend leaving me hanging like that. I laid on my back and pulled the covers over me. I replayed the events of the day in my head.

 

The break up.

 

Taeyeon.

 

Food and wine.

 

That dorky grin.

 

And…

 

...flowers?

 

I sat up as I had a sudden epiphany.

 

The bouquet!

 

How could I have missed it? It was a good thing I remembered. However, my newfound discovery stirred up some strange feelings inside me.

 


 

I was busy wiping the tables when I saw a familiar figure walk in the cafe. I put the cloth away and wiped my hands on my apron.

 

I slowly approached her.

 

“Hey. I didn’t expect to see you so soon,” I greeted her with a smile.

 

“Yeah. Me too.”

 

She glanced around the cafe.

 

“Is this a bad time?” she asked. “Am I bothering you?”

 

I glanced around at the mess left after the rush hour.

 

“Kind of,” I answered.

 

“I can come back another time,” she said. “Sorry for coming abruptly. I should have called first.”

 

With that she turned around. I started to panic as I saw her walking away

 

“N-No! Wait! I didn’t mean it like that,” I quickly said. “You’re not a bother. Just...wait a little?”

 

She turned back around, a smirk on her lips.

 

“Okay,” she said, walking back towards me. “I’ll wait.”

 

I sighed in relief.

 

I didn’t want her to go so soon.

 

“So, did you come here for our deal?” I asked.

 

“Deal?” She seemed confused until realization dawned on her, “Oh yes. Of course.”

 

I furrowed my brows and just nodded.

 

Was she here for something else?

 

“You came at the right time. There aren’t that many customers now so I can quickly make it for you,” I said. “Why don’t you take a seat.”

 

“Okay.”

 

As I went into the kitchen, I bumped into Yuri who was shooting me one of her annoying grins.

 

I ignored her and continued to prepare what I promised Tiffany. Fortunately, Yuri left me alone and just went on to do her own tasks.

 

I didn’t take too long and quickly served it to her.

 

I watched as she took a bite. I heard her moan in satisfaction and gave me a thumbs up.


 

“God. This is really good. Way better than what we had at that restaurant,” she complimented.

 

“Glad you like it,” I replied shyly but I felt a sense of pride deep inside. “Would you like some drink to go with that?”

 

“Just a glass of water would be fine,” she answered.

 

I nodded.

 

I went to get her water and quickly gave it to her. I was about to leave to go clean up tables and let her eat in peace but she stopped me. I looked curiously at the hand grabbing me by the arm and then at her.

 

She was about to say something to me but I heard one of the customers call for me.

 

I looked apologetically at her

 

“It’s fine. It can wait. Go attend to the other customers,” she told me.

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

I was curious about what she wanted to tell me.

 

 

As much as I wanted to get back to her, it seemed that they just wouldn't let me. And by they, I meant the abrupt stream of customers that have been calling for my immediate attention. A lot of them were students who came to seek refuge in our cafe. I guessed it was for a study group. Yuri and I got busy once again as we tried to keep up with their orders.

 

 

I should really talk to Yuri about hiring a new waiter or waitress.

 

 

Our little cafe was getting more customers lately and we needed extra hands.

 

 

Once the rush of orders finally calmed down, I decided to catch a short break. I sat on one of the stools by the counter.

 

 

“Here I thought Sooyoung had more game than you,” came Yuri from behind me.

 

I almost fell off my seat.

 

“Can you please not sneak up on me?” I grumbled.

 

“She just broke up with her boyfriend and you already have her pining for you. Daebak.”

 

I gave her a frown.

 

“Does that look like she’s pining for me?”

 

I gestured with my thumb for her to look behind me where she was sitting two tables away.

 

I’ve felt her gaze follow me around as I busied myself with customers. At first I thought I was just overthinking it, but then I spared a glance her way.

 

She was staring directly at me.

 

She didn’t look away when our eyes met and just held my gaze.

 

I felt myself getting flustered under her intense gaze, causing me to almost trip on my feet.

 

For sure, it wasn’t what Yuri was referring to. Her gaze resembled something more akin to suspicion and questioning, as if she was trying to figure something out.

 

It was a bit unsettling.

 

“I guess not,” Yuri said after sneaking a glance over my shoulder. “Did you do something wrong?”

 

 

What? No,” I quickly said. “As far as I know, I haven’t done anything wrong.”

 

 

“Well don’t look now, Taengoo because she’s walking over here right now.”

 

I widened my eyes at her. Suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder.

 

 

“Taeyeon,” came Tiffany’s voice from behind me.

 

 

Slowly turning around, she stood in front of me. Really close might I add.

 

 

“I need to talk to you,” she said again.

 

 

“I’ll take care of this for you,” Yuri said, excusing herself. I watched as she made her quick escape, leaving me alone to deal with Tiffany.

 

 

“Uhm. Wh-What about,” I stuttered.

 

 

I couldn’t help it as she was gazing intensely at me.

 

“Let’s go somewhere more private,” she said.

 

I nodded.

 

I lead us both to the kitchen. There we met Yuri again, but after placing the dishes on the sink, she immediately left. Once we were alone, Tiffany wasted no time and quickly interrogated me.

 

 

“Was it you?” she asked.

 

 

I was confused at the question.

 

 

“Me?” I asked.

 

 

“Let me elaborate,” she said. “Was it you who gave the bouquet to Jessica?”

 

 

Like a deer caught in headlights, I looked at her with wide eyes. Like an idiot, I stammered trying to make an excuse. But I couldn’t think of any.

 

 

“It’s a simple question, Taeyeon,” she said, her voice intimidating me.

 

 

She stepped closer causing me to make a step back. I thought she’d stop there but then she continued to step closer. I backed away until I felt my back hit the counter. I could feel her invading my personal space, leaving no room for me to escape.

 

 

“Why won’t you answer me?” she inquired further. “Was it you?”

 

“Ti-Tiffany...I-I,” I continued to stutter.

 

Just then, Yuri walked in on us.

 

 

“Oh god. I-I’m sorry for interrupting. I-I’m gonna go,” she stuttered. “I’m just gonna leave these here.” She quickly placed some empty dishes near the kitchen sink.

 

I felt my face burning up.

 

Looking up at Tiffany, her cheeks were adorned with a deep shade of red. We were probably matching. She immediately backed away from me and cleared .

 

 

“I’m going since my lunch hour is almost over,” she said. “But we’re not finished here.”

 

 

She gave me one last look before running out of the kitchen.

 

I placed a hand over my chest. My heart was beating hard against my chest. That’s probably one of the scariest situations I’ve ever been in.

 

Once I calmed down and I was sure my face was no longer red, I stepped out of the kitchen and immediately looked for Yuri. Fortunately, she was only wiping tables so I called her over.

 

“Hey, Taeng,” Yuri greeted. “Sorry about that. Didn’t really expect that you guys would...be...you know..” She rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly.

 

 

“Don’t worry. I didn’t expect it either,” I said.

 

 

“Anyways,” she continued. “You guys seemed really close back there.”

 

That annoying grin was back.

 

With a groan, I said, “It wasn’t what it looked like.”

 

“Really? I mean, with the way you guys were-”

 

 

I let out a frustrated groan.

 

 

“Think what you want. We have more important things to discuss,” I said. “Call the others for an emergency meeting.”

 

Seeing how serious I was being, Yuri nodded and ran to call for the other two.

 

I made a deep sigh. It seems we're in a bit of trouble.

 

 


 

A/N:

Btw, if you're curious of the flower meanings, read below:

pink camellias: "symbolize longing"

red carnations: "admiration"

white carnations: "pure love and good luck"

lavender roses: "sign of enchantment and love at first sight"

I googled these stuff and picked what I thought were the most appropriate flowers to describe SY's feelings towards J. However, in some sites, they may have different meanings but will most likely closely resemble each other.