chapter 12

Infatuation and Falling For You

 

I checked my phone for the nth time now.

 

No calls.

 

No messages.

 

I sighed as I put my phone back in my pocket.

 

It’s been days ever since that incident in the kitchen.

 

I tried to take my mind off of her by focusing on work. At first it worked but then I unconsciously found my eyes roaming around the cafe, expecting to find her sitting at a table.

 

She would be looking my way and smiling so beautifully, that perfect eye smile.

 

But she’s nowhere in sight.

 

I wanted to call. Really. I just wasn’t sure what to say? What was I supposed to say exactly? Let's say, hypothetically, I managed to call. I’d say ‘Hi’ and then what? Profess my undying love? Not that I think I’m in love with her. Not yet anyway. Just that I like her. A lot.

 

God, I’m hopeless.

 

Is it weird? To feel so much towards someone you’ve barely interacted with?

 

When I realized what these feelings were, rather than trying to understand them, I just accepted it for what it is. It was simple.

 

I like her.

 

I buried my face into my hands as I remembered what happened last time.

 

She kissed me. That means she likes me too, right?

 

Since I was too much of a chicken to call, I’ve been expecting she’d be the one to call first. I’ve been on high alert with the ringing of my phone.

 

I smacked the three, mostly Yuri, when they’d call me randomly during the day. I would rush to grab my phone only to be disappointed, irritated, and grow more frustrated with myself.

 

Sooyoung assured me that she cleared things up with Tiffany yesterday. And told me she’d call soon and to just wait. I trusted her words.

 

But thinking about it, I should have been the one to do it. Maybe that’s why I haven’t heard from her. Maybe she’s disappointed that I wasn’t the one to confront her about it.

 

I made a deep sigh.

 

“Hey, Taeng,” came Yuri.

 

Looking at her, she had a silly grin on her face.

 

What now?

 

“What is it?” I asked.

 

“Someone’s here for you,” she said.

 

“Really? Who?”

 

She gave me a look.

 

“Who? Tiffany of course?” she said, looking at me incredulously.

 

“Haha. Very funny,” was my sarcastic reply. “Can’t you go do something else besides annoying me? Maybe actually build up the courage to make a move on your crush?”

 

“Yah! I’m serious, Taeng. She’s right outside,” she said.

 

Don’t fall for it. Don’t fall for it.

I just shook my head at her and continued to go on with my work. I busied myself with wiping off the counters and cleaning up the mess in the kitchen. The lunch hour rush had just passed which left the usual huge mess in the kitchen.

 

In my peripheral, I saw Yuri walk out of the kitchen.

 

I sighed in relief.

 

But, after a few minutes, I heard someone come in again.

 

Is she seriously not going to stop?

 

I didn’t turn around. I wanted to ignore her and hopefully she’ll go away.

 

“Are you that busy that you can’t even come see me?”

 

My ears perked up at the voice.

 

I stopped what I was doing altogether.

 

I heard the clacking of her heels getting louder until it stopped just right behind me.

 

I felt her hands rest on both my shoulders and I felt her lean close behind me.

 

She whispered in my ear.

 

“Turn around.”

 

Goosebumps.

 

I slowly turned around and came face to face with her.

 

A small smile was playing on her lips as she looked at me. I could have sworn my eyes became a bit teary-eyed.

 

Did I miss her that much?

 

“Hi,” she greeted.

 

“H-Hi,” I stuttered.

 

“You sound nervous,” she said.

 

“N-no. I’m not,” I replied.

 

Again with the stutter. Damn it.

 

She had both of my hands in hers, her thumbs slowly rubbing the back of my hands.

 

“Hmmm? Really?” she said.

 

Instead of replying, I nodded.

 

She intertwined our fingers.

 

“Do I scare you, Taeyeon?” she teased. She tilted her head to the side as she said that.

 

“No,” I said.

 

Yes! I didn’t stutter.

 

(Although that’s just from saying one word. I don’t see how that’s much of an achievement.)

 

“You never called,” she said, pouting at me a bit.

 

I stared at her for a moment.

 

“You didn’t either,” I said. “The phone works both ways, you know?”

 

I was pleased that I was coherent with my words.

 

“True.”

 

“...”

 

She made a small sigh.

 

“I’m sorry,” she said.

 

I was confused.

 

She’s sorry?

 

“I’m sorry about back then,” she continued. “Forcing a kiss on you, I didn’t even consider your feelings.”

 

Her smile turned apologetic.

 

I quickly shook my head.

 

“A-aniya. Don’t apologize for,” I paused, biting my bottom lip. “...k-kissing me.”

 

And we’re back to stuttering.

 

“Really?”

 

She was looking at me through her lashes.

 

“Really,” I said firmly. “And I forgave you already, remember?”

 

“So, you wouldn’t mind if I kissed you now?”

 

My breath got caught in my chest.

 

I gulped.

 

“W-wh...I..umm,” I mumbled. “I mean, if you want to?”

 

God. Why am I so awkward?

 

She grinned widely at me.

 

“You’re cute,” she said before leaning into me.

 

Unlike the first time, I didn’t wait and, instead, I met her halfway. I had to slightly stand on my toes to reach her height since she was wearing heels.

 

The kiss was sweet.

 

I moved my lips against hers and so did she against mine. I lightly on her bottom lip before letting it go with a small pop.

 

When we parted, I blurted the first thing on my mind.

 

“Will you go on a date with me?” I said.

 

 

“And here I thought I’d beat you to it,” she said with a small laugh. “I’d love to.”

 


 

I kept glancing in the direction of the kitchen. When I told Tiffany that Taeyeon wouldn’t believe me, she seemed a bit surprised and confused. She thanked me and quickly walked past me and went into the kitchen herself.

 

They’ve been in there for quite some time now. I hope they’re not fighting.

 

Moments later, I watched the two come out. Seeing them walking hand in hand, I couldn’t help the big smile on my face.

 

I looked over them like a proud parent.

 

“Call me, okay?” I heard Tiffany say to Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon gave a small smile while she shyly tucked a strand of hair over her ear.

 

“I will. I promise,” Taeyeon replied.

 

Aww. Look how cute and innocent they are

 

I thought Tiffany was going to walk away after that but then she abruptly pulled in Taeyeon for a deep kiss. Taeyeon didn’t hesitate to kiss back with as much vigor.

 

Okay. Maybe they’re not so innocent.

 

Good thing there aren’t that many people right now.

 

“Oh! I’m glad they’re finally together,” I heard someone say beside me.

 

I couldn’t help but be surprised by her sudden appearance. I didn’t notice her at all. She was smiling adoringly at the scene.

 

“Yeah, me too,” I agreed.

 

“I was confident they would.”

 

So how exactly did she know? Well, it didn’t take long for us friends to warm up to her. And since Sunny wasn’t the type to pass a moment to tease Sooyoung and Taeyeon on their love lives (not that I’m any different), she’s updated on the latest gossip.

 

 

The two lovebirds finally said their goodbyes. Tiffany reluctantly left, kissing Taeyeon once more but on the cheek this time. Taeyeon stood there in a dreamy haze, watching Tiffany leave until she disappeared out of sight.

 

I quickly walked over to her and smacked her on the back.

 

“Ow!” she yelped. “Yah! Kwon Yuri!”

 

I just laughed.

 

“Congratulations! Seems like you guys are finally together,” I said.

 

She looked up at me with an embarrassed smile.

 

“Well I wouldn’t really say we’re official,” she said, rubbing the back of her neck in a sheepish manner. “But she agreed to go on a date with me.”

 

“Oooh! That’s so great, unnie. I’m so happy for you!” Yoona exclaimed.

 

“Thanks, Yoong,” Taeyeon said. “And you,” she pointed at me.

 

She punched my arm.

 

“What was that for?” I frowned as I nursed my arm.

 

“That was for all the teasing,” she replied.

 

I stuck out my tongue at her.

 

“Anyways, I should get back to work. I still have some things left to clean at the back,” Taeyeon said. “And when you’re free, come help me.” She said that last part to me while side glancing at Yoona.

 

With that, Taeyeon disappeared into the kitchen.

 

I heard Yoona sigh beside me.

 

That made me shift my attention to her.

 

“I wonder if I'll ever find someone too,” she said.

 

“You don’t have a boyfriend?” I asked.

 

She shook her head no.

 

Well that’s shocking.

 

“Wow. I’d thought someone as pretty as you would have someone,” I said.

 

She blushed.

 

“Well, you’re wrong, unnie. You don’t need just looks to make a relationship,” she replied sadly. “Relationships should be more meaningful than just being together for appearances.”

 

She’s right about that.

 

She’s a really good kid, isn’t she?

 

I ruffled her hair, much to her slight annoyance.

 

“Unnie!”

 

I chuckled at her slightly disheveled hair.

 

“You’ll find someone. I’m sure of it,” I said. “You’re pretty and nice. Now who wouldn’t want that?”

 

She was now busying herself with fixing her hair while frowning a bit at me.

 

“Apparently, being pretty and nice isn’t what people are looking for,” was her slightly sarcastic reply. “Otherwise, I wouldn’t be single right now.”

 

I was amused at her reply.

 

“Hmm? What makes you so sure?” I asked. “Maybe you’re not looking carefully. Surely, there must be someone.”

 

Like me, I guess.

 

I shrugged.

 

“Then again, you’re still young. Relationships aren’t something you should rush into. Just wait and one day, someone will come. Or maybe you’ll be the one to find that someone,” I continued.

 

Wow. I sound so mature right now.

 

Before I walked away, I ruffled her hair again.

 

“Unnie!”

 

“I don’t believe it one bit that no one’s looked at you. I’ve seen you reject a few since you started working here.”

 

 

“You saw that?”

 

She blushed.

 

Instead of answering, left with a laugh, quickly escaping into the kitchen.

 

I’m sure if I turn around right now, she’d be either pouting or frowning at me like earlier.

 

Since I never looked back, I never knew how she was staring at my retreating figure with a meaningful blush. And how she released a rather frustrated huff.

 


 

It’s become a new norm for me to bring her lunch these days. I don’t find it troublesome. Not at all. I’m rather happy I have an excuse to see her in the middle of the day so I don’t have to wait until after work to get to see her again.

 

I hum a happy tune as I pass by the cubicles along the way to Jessica’s office.

 

By now, probably most of them are familiar with me since they’ve stopped asking me what I’m here for.

 

However, they seem to look at me in amazement every time I come out of Jessica’s office. It was like that ever since the first time I came to her workplace. At first, it really weirded me out. I mean, I understand how cold and scary Jessica may seem but I never reacted this way towards her.

 

“Hey, Sica.”

 

She hummed in response, not looking up from her desk.

 

“Why are they so scared of you?”

 

Her hands momentarily stopped from sketching.

 

She sighed.

 

 

She glanced up at me with a look that says, “Do you even have to ask?”

 

I snorted.

 

“I mean I get that you can sometimes seem arrogant, scary, mean-”

 

“Yah. You think I’m not aware?” she said, annoyance obvious in her tone.

 

“And you’re okay with that?”

 

She sighed again.

 

“I’m used to it,” she answered then went back to sketching.

 

That was so sad to hear.

 

“You know, if you start smiling more, I bet they’d find you more approachable,” I said.

 

“I tried. And it didn’t change anything.”

 

“Really?” I said, somehow surprised. “Show me.”

 

Her smiling face is something I could watch all day. I’m probably being biased but there’s just something so heartstopping in the way her lips would curve upwards. How her eyes somehow sparkled whenever I looked at them. I also loved it when she laughed unfiltered, showing off those pearly white teeth and her nose scrunching. Making her laugh and smile was worth it every time.

 

She looked up at me with a frown. But in the end, she followed my request.

 

She smiled.

 

I looked.

 

I had to quickly cover my mouth with my hand to hide my reaction.

 

No wonder.

 

The more I looked at her, the more I couldn’t suppress it.

 

I chortled a big laugh.

 

“What’s so funny?” she asked.

 

 

“It’s just...I think I understand why they’d be scared,” I said in between laughs.

 

She glared at me.

 

“Well?”

 

Sitting on top of her desk and leaning over, I grabbed both sides of her face and pressed her cheeks together, causing her lips to jut out into a forced pout.

 

“If only they can see how cute and adorable you really are,” I said.

 

She forcefully removed my hands and glared at me, more intensely this time.

 

“Why do you keep saying I’m cute and adorable?” she asked me.

 

“Because you are.”

 

She puffed her cheeks and curled her lips to the side.

 

“You’re the only one who says that,” she said.

 

“This,” I gestured to her face. “is exactly what I mean.”

 

I just adore her so much, I feel like my compliments aren’t enough sometimes.

 

I gave in to temptation and I proceeded to pinch her cheeks, enjoying the sight of how deeper her frown had gotten. I’ve found an unexpected joy from annoying her these days. There’s just something about the way she scrunches her face and purses her lips that makes me want to do it more.

 

Am I turning into some sort of sadist?

 

Not wanting to go overboard, I quickly let go of her cheeks.

 

When it comes to being cute, Jessica seems to be a natural. I understand being the boss requires being an authoritative figure, to seem commanding and assertive. But for people to avoid approaching her because of prejudice from her seemingly cold and distant demeanor, they’re just missing a lot on this.

 

Smiling down at her, I continued, “Although, it’s probably a bit selfish of me for saying this, but I don’t mind if I’m one of the few who sees you like this. Makes me feel more special that way.”

 

I winked at her.

Her cheeks turned redder.

 

Did I pinch too hard?

 

She turned her gaze away from me and then cleared .

 

“Let’s eat,” she said, standing up from her seat.

 

Throwing my hands up, I exclaimed, “Finally!”

 

I hurriedly walked over to the coffee table and unpacked our lunch. I heard Jessica giggle as I enthusiastically gestured to her to come quickly. With an eye roll, she approached quickly and sat beside me.

 

“I don’t mind if you eat before me, you know?” she told me.

 

“I can’t do that,” I replied.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because I need you to feed me,” I said.

 

“Feed yourself,” she replied.

 

With her chopsticks, she dove for the meat. As she was bringing the food close to , I quickly snatched it with my mouth. As I leaned away, I smirked at her.

 

“Yah!”

 

Ignoring her protests, I picked up a piece of meat with my own chopsticks and presented it in front of her. With an annoyed huff, she leaned closer to eat it but as she was about to eat it, I quickly ate it.

 

I laughed at the way she looked at me, sad and hurt like she just lost something important.

 

“Yah!”

 

She started pounding her fists at me.

 

“Okay. Okay. I’m sorry! I won’t do it again,” I pleaded.

 

But I still kept laughing which must have further urged her to beat me a few more times.

After we called a truce, we finally ate in peace. We fed ourselves this time. But, a few times I fed her, much to my joy when she just accepted without much convincing. I was a bit sad when she didn’t offer me the same gesture.

 

I guess she’s still a little mad from earlier.

 

As we stuffed ourselves, Jessica brought up Taeyeon and Tiffany’s current “not so official” relationship.

 

“I don’t get it,” she told me. “I mean. They both like each other, right? Why bother with dates?”

 

I tsked with every shake of my head.

 

“Sica. Sica. Sica,” I said. “You’re not a romantic person, are you?”

 

She sighed.

 

“I’m just saying, they should just get together rather than go through such an overrated chivalric custom.”

 

Since she’s the type who’s blunt, I guess she doesn’t really see the point of having to dance around what’s obviously there.

 

“You see, Sica,” I began. “It’s not that I don’t understand where you’re coming from but, don’t you wish to experience one of those rom com moments when two people go out to dinner, make small talk, and all the while stealing glances at each other?”

 

“They’re adults, Soo. Not teenagers.”

 

I sighed.

 

“That’s just it. To experience young love. There’s just something so charming about the innocence of it all,” I explained.

 

She didn’t reply immediately but after some time, she said, “I still don’t get it.”

 

I glanced at her.

 

Hasn’t she…

 

“Have you ever been in love?” I asked.

 

She stopped herself mid-bite and looked up at me.

 

“I...I can’t say I have,” she told me.

 

“Well that explains it,” I said.

 

Putting down my utensil, I scooted over to her. I held one of her hands in mine and grabbed her wrist on the other hand holding her chopsticks.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

I ignored her question.

 

“The thing about dates is that, at the end of it all, there’s that part of them that doesn’t want their time together to end. And makes them want to be closer,” I said. “Just like this.”

 

I stared down at her and she stared right back at me. Her gaze was unwavering and I wasn’t one to back down either so I continued to lock eyes with her.

 

I noticed that our breathing had synced.

 

“One more thing about dates is that they build this tension. And everytime they get closer, the becomes tension so thick that neither can’t deny it anymore.”

 

I moved a little closer, letting myself further into her personal space. I heard her take an abrupt intake of breath, her chest rising suddenly.

 

Smirking to myself, I leaned my head closer. Her gaze still didn’t waver, instead her eyes narrowed at me, a look of anticipation and curiosity of what I’d do next.

 

Our faces were mere inches apart at this point.

 

I continued to lean closer.

 

At the very last moment, I turned my head and ate off of her chopsticks.

 

“Ugh. God. This tastes so good,” I moaned as the taste of the food filled my mouth.

 

At this time, I had moved away, back to where I originally sat.

 

I continued to chew on my food, trying to avoid looking at Jessica, thinking that I might have gone way overboard with the teasing.

 

I sneaked a glance.

 

Her expression was blank.

 

Is she mad?

 

I couldn’t tell.

 

When she moved, I thought she’d hit me or something so I flinched a bit when I saw her hand come close.

 

Instead of receiving any form of violence, she just proceeded to eat.

 

I started berating myself when there was just silence between the both of us.

 

Good job, Sooyoung. You just had to do that, didn’t you?

 

I say that, but I actually don’t regret it. If I’m not wrong, and it’s not just my mind playing tricks on me, I’m sure I saw her eyes flutter shut for a moment there when I was leaning closer.

 

I felt more courage build up inside me.

 

Just a little bit more…

 

“Soo,” I heard her call my name.

 

I snapped my attention to her quickly.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Where did you say they were going on a date?”

 

She had this sort of mischievous glint in her eyes as she said that.