Change

Devil's Retribution

“How is he, Doctor?” Jane gazed into Joshua’s room from outside. It had only been a week after the accident, and Joshua had still been recovering.

 

“We’ve done all the preliminary tests and check-ups, he is recovering well, are you sure you don’t want to start therapy?”

 

Jane shook her head with a painful look in her eyes, “It’s better that he doesn’t remember, his life will be easier that way.”

 

“I do have to inform you that even if we don’t do therapy, his memories may resurface at any moment. When that happens, there’s nothing we can do to stop it.”

 

“I understand… thank you, Doctor.” Jane bowed in gratitude and the Doctor disappeared to tend to his other patients. Looking inside, Joshua was sitting upright in bed, facing the window. Jane took a deep breath, and entered.

 

“Joshua?” Jane approached the boy and sat down next to his bed, “How are you feeling?”

 

Joshua smiled at the voice Jane, “I’m feeling good, my head still feels a bit dizzy…”

 

“Don’t worry, the Doctor said you’ll be able to leave soon.” With her hand, Jane patted Joshua’s head. “You’ve done well.”

 

Joshua let Jane touch his hair, “But Jane… why don’t I remember anything?”

 

Jane’s hand froze, she wasn’t ready to remember the events of last week, “I-it’s because you hit your head during the accident, it’s okay, I’ve told you everything you need to know. Your name is Joshua and you live with me in an orphanage.”

 

“Then… what happened to Renee? I heard the nurses talking about her, where is she?” Joshua frowned.

 

“Renee, is not here anymore…” Jane whispered, “she didn’t make it.”

 

~

 

“Give him to me!” Joshua shouted, for a boy that never rose his voice, his words shocked Jeonghan.

 

“Joshua…” Jeonghan looked up wearily.

 

“Kid, we don’t have time to be fooling around, his life's in danger right now. Do you even know any first aid skills? If not, you’ll just get in the way!” Mingyu growled.

 

Joshua didn’t know any first aid skills. He couldn’t see them to know, he didn’t know anything.

 

“Joshua… go upstairs, wait in my room,” Jeonghan murmured, “I’ll be fine.”

 

Upstairs? Joshua felt an immense wave of emotion bubble up inside of him. Jeonghan had always told him to go upstairs. “Mm…” Joshua lowered his head and made his way upstairs, ignoring the tears falling down his silver eyes.

 

“Put him down on the couch,” Mingyu let Wonwoo carry Jeonghan, “where’s your first aid kit, Jeonghan?”

 

“C-cabinet,” Jeonghan shuddered and let a gasp of pain as Wonwoo laid him down on the couch. His blood slowly fell from his side and leg onto the black couch.

 

“Hang in there, Jeonghan,” Wonwoo held onto Jeonghan’s wound, applying pressure, “you can’t die before you set us free. You’re our only hope.”

 

“Only hope… my ,” Jeonghan grit his teeth, his face as pale as his blond hair.

 

“If you have the time to be an , you should be fine,” Mingyu hurried over with a white kit in his hand. “Looking at how much blood you’ve lost, we won’t have time for anesthetics. You need a towel?”

 

Jeonghan shook his head and grit his teeth.

 

“While we do this, you better explain yourself. Who’s that kid? I heard you call him Joshua, is he blind?” Mingyu took out a needle and attached a suture to it.

 

“Later…” Jeonghan mumbled through his teeth.

 

“Fine, but you owe us an explanation afterwards.” Mingyu looked to Wonwoo, “Hold him down.”

 

~

 

Joshua hadn’t cried in a long time. He hadn’t had a reason to cry for a long time. Within his dull eyes, he had found crying unnecessary. But as he felt his way towards Jeonghan’s room, he couldn’t seem to stop the tears from falling down his face. Sobbing like a child, Joshua sat down on the floor and leaned his back against Jeonghan’s bed.

 

It hadn’t been that long since they had met, less than a week. It had been Joshua’s capricious behaviour that led him to Jeonghan’s house. It had been because of his behaviour that he had gotten slightly close to Jeonghan. It had been him.

 

Joshua brought his legs towards his chest and buried his face into his arms. He cried, sobbed, letting his tears fall till there were none left.

 

~

 

“Done.” Mingyu cut the last suture and exhaled sharply. Suturing Jeonghan’s leg and side had taken longer than he had expected, he was out of practice.

 

“Thanks…” Jeonghan whispered, his eyelids drooping.

 

“Don’t fall asleep yet, Jeonghan,” Mingyu growled, “you still haven’t told us who that kid is.”

 

Jeonghan shook his head, the pain making him drowsy, “D-don’t hurt him…”

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo exchanged glances as Jeonghan drifted off into a deep sleep. “Let’s leave for today.”

 

The two cleaned up the couch and put away the kit. “Is it okay to leave him like this?” Wonwoo glanced to the unconscious Jeonghan on the couch.

 

“His life isn’t in danger, it’ll be fine if we leave him like this.”

 

“What about the kid? Should we tell the boss about him?” Wonwoo glanced towards the stairs.

 

Mingyu grit his teeth, “What the hell was Jeonghan thinking getting involved with a blind kid.” Mingyu’s hands slowly turned to fists, “There’s no doubt that the kid isn’t involved in our world. If the boss finds out, who knows what will happen to him.”

 

“Then…”

 

“Jeonghan said not to hurt him,” Mingyu sighed, “Jeonghan won’t help us if we lay a finger on the kid. Let’s leave.”

 

Wonwoo nodded and together with Mingyu, the two departed into the night.

 

~

 

Jeonghan awoke with a start and jolt of pain in his side and leg. What happened? The events of yesterday came flowing back to him. He remembered seeing Joshua’s eyes for the first time, his tears as well. .

 

The reason for Jeonghan’s awakening was the vibration of his phone. It was his boss. “Yeah?”

 

“I heard from Mingyu and Wonwoo that you got injured last night.”

 

. Yesterday, the two of them had seen Joshua. Had they told him? “Yeah, happens all the time.” Jeonghan said cautiously. “We finished the job didn’t we? What more do you want?”

 

“I hope you know that you getting injured is not the most profitable for me. You are the most skilled and experienced member in my hands. You and I both don’t want to lose the chance at money. Make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

 

The call ended at that.

 

Jeonghan took a deep breath in and out. It doesn’t seem like those two told him about Joshua. Wait, the hell does it matter if they did tell him? I don’t care about him....

 

Jeonghan took the next several minutes to stand up. Both of his wounds were screaming, I need a painkiller. The boy hobbled over to the kitchen as best as he could manage. That meant spending a good ten minutes taking steps and pausing to catch his breath.

 

11:00AM… damn. Jeonghan popped a pill into his mouth and dry swallowed it. Looking at his wounds, there was no way he was going to be able to take a job today. All of a sudden, Jeonghan was wondering whether he wanted to do a job. It would be easier to get it over with, wouldn’t it be?

 

Joshua suddenly came to Jeonghan’s mind. After he had went upstairs, he had not appeared again. Jeonghan felt a tang of worry in his heart that led him to walk up the stairs. Easier said than done. Compared to walking normally, climbing stairs was twice as hard. But still, Jeonghan kept climbing.

 

From the top of the stairs, Jeonghan could see the open door of his room. Joshua was inside. Picking up his speed slightly, Jeonghan reached his room. Unmoving on the floor next to his bed, was Joshua.

 

Jeonghan hobbled over to the sleeping boy. Joshua had his head leaning against the frame of Jeonghan’s bed, his arm wrapped around his legs tightly. Even Jeonghan could see the tear stains on the boy’s face and his knitted eyebrows. Jeonghan’s heart ached.

 

Despite the pain, Jeonghan sat down in front of Joshua. His hair was falling into his eyes again. His eyes - silver eyes. Without himself noticing, Jeonghan’s hand went up to Joshua’s face. His hands touched Joshua’s hair and gently brushed it from his face.

 

“Nn?” Joshua opened his eyes unconsciously, “J-Jeonghan?”

 

“Mm, it’s me,” Jeonghan quickly withdrew his hand.

 

Joshua’s hand reached forward, searching for Jeonghan’s face, “Are you okay?”

 

“Don’t I sound okay?” Jeonghan cleared his throat.

 

Joshua’s hand found Jeonghan’s face. “You scared me,” Joshua whispered, closing his eyes once again.

 

“Your eyes are pretty, Joshua, you can open your eyes,” Jeonghan’s own words surprised him.

 

Joshua felt his face grow hot, “Y-you think so?” Joshua opened his eyes again.

 

Seeing Joshua’s face grow red, Jeonghan felt his own heat up. “D-do you want to have breakfast?” He changed the subject quickly.

 

“A-ah, sure,” Joshua stuttered, standing up flustered.

 

“Ngh…” Jeonghan let out a grunt of pain as he stood up.

 

“Jeonghan!” Joshua’s hands went to Jeonghan, “You should lie down… you’re still hurt aren’t you?” The boy left little room for Jeonghan to object, “Stay here while I make breakfast, okay? Sit down, lie down, do whatever.”

 

“Ha, I never thought I’d see the day when I, myself, would get babied by an angel.” Jeonghan retorted, half laughing at himself.

 

“This angel is about to serve a meal to the devil,” Joshua finally seemed to gain his smile back and exited Jeonghan’s room with a slight rhythm to his step.

 

“Geez…” Jeonghan leaned against his bed. He found himself laugh worthy.

 

Seconds turned into minutes as Jeonghan waited for Joshua. However, his long awaited breakfast was short lasting as he heard the shattering of glass from downstairs.

 

Joshua.

 

Jeonghan made his way to the stairs as fast as he possibly could without fainting, “Joshua!”

 

“Ah.”

 

Joshua came into Jeonghan’s view as he hurried down the stairs. The boy was knelt down in the middle of kitchen; on the floor, were the shattered remains of a glass cup.

 

“Sorry, did I scare you?” Joshua began to pick up the shards of glass on the floor. “I’m sorry, it just slipped out of my hands.”

 

“Don’t touch it, you’ll hurt yourself,” Jeonghan ran his hands through his sweaty hair.

 

“Someone has to clean it up - ah!” Joshua recoiled his hand quickly.

 

Jeonghan hurried over to Joshua, “I told you not to touch it!” Jeonghan raised his voice and grabbed Joshua’s hand. Blood began to form a drop on Joshua’s fingertip where he had cut it. “Idiot…” Jeonghan grabbed the medical kit from the cabinet and took out a bandage.

 

“Someone had to clean it…” Joshua made a pouty face.

 

“Here,” Jeonghan ripped of the packaging and wrapped the bandage on Joshua’s finger, “all good.”

 

*bzz*

 

Jeonghan’s phone vibrated inside his pocket. Joshua could feel Jeonghan’s gaze and nodded.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Jeonghan, come to the usual place,” The voice was Mingyu’s, “bring the kid.”

 

“Why should I listen to you?” Jeonghan placed an edge in his voice.

 

There was short moment of static on the line, “Bring him, or else the boss will figure out about him. Up to you.” Mingyu hung up the call, leaving Jeonghan stuck.

 

“…”

 

“What’s wrong, Jeonghan?” Joshua frowned. Was it his boss?

 

“We’re going out,” Jeonghan slipped his phone and gun into his pocket.

 

“We’re?” Joshua raised his eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

 

Jeonghan sighed and made his way to the door, “Don’t ask questions, and just follow.”

 

~

 

The ride there was unbearably quiet. Joshua had gone back to closing his eyes, and Jeonghan had seemed to be icier than before.

 

I wonder who called him… Joshua thought as he faced the car window.

 

Jeonghan drove fast down the highway. After minutes of being in the car together, Jeonghan parked the car. “Let’s go.”

 

It bothered Jeonghan. It bothered him that he was listening to Mingyu, actually obeying him. It bothered him that there was actually a reason for Mingyu to be able to order him. It bothered him even more that the reason was Joshua. What bothered him most of all however, was that the reason actually swayed him.

 

Damn…

 

“W-wait Jeonghan,” Joshua called out to him.

 

Without himself realising, Jeonghan had walked briskly towards the entrance of the ‘cafe’, he had forgotten that Joshua couldn’t follow him.

 

He sighed, “We need to get you a cane or something,” Jeonghan walked back to Joshua and grabbed his hand.

 

“Not helpful…” Joshua mumbled under his breath.

 

The pair arrived at the usual meetup place - for the first time in his life, Jeonghan hesitated in opening the door.

 

Ah it. Jeonghan threw open the door and marched into the building, Joshua following behind him.

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo were sitting at the same table they usually sat at, Seungcheol and Woozi were behind the counter as well, besides them, the building was empty.

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo did not seem surprised at the least when Jeonghan and Joshua came into the building, Seungcheol and Woozi however, did not have the same reaction.

 

First their eyes widened, then their mouths opened, and then, “Who is that, Jeonghan?”


A/N: Haha, this chapter is up a day early!! Surprise! I actually wrote this all today, I couldn't help it /.\ I hope you enjoy it~ Let me know what you think~ The next chapter will be up on Saturday unless I finish it early ^^""

Shoutout to Jihan4ever for upvoting my fic ^^ I love y'all for the feedback it's truly amazing~