Regret

Devil's Retribution

Jeonghan lay awake that night, not able to close his eyes a single time, his nerves a wreck. Whatever slim chance he had of sleeping that night had disappeared. He couldn’t sleep. Not with Joshua on the couch downstairs.

 

A devil could not sleep in the presence of an angel.

 

Wide awake, Jeonghan glanced to his bedside table. 6:13… The sun was going to rise soon, no doubt he would receive a job from his boss. Jeonghan sat up straight, If I leave for a job, what am I going to do with him?

 

After Joshua had barged into his house, Jeonghan had lent him a dry pair of his own clothes, slightly big for the scrawny boy. At this time, the young boy was surely asleep downstairs. Jeonghan had spent a long time thinking of the possibilities. It was unlikely for Joshua to be a spy, however, Jeonghan couldn’t trust him. As much as he wanted to, he couldn’t bring himself to shoot the boy either.

 

Jeonghan ruffled his hair in frustration, what in the world was he thinking? Letting a stranger into his home? He didn’t even know if the boy was actually blind.

 

Coming to a conclusion that staying in bed would be a waste of time, Jeonghan changed into his regular clothes - a grey dress shirt which he tucked into his black ripped jeans.  He put little effort into his hair besides a quick comb down - he hated looking in the mirror.

 

In the darkness of his room, Jeonghan noticed the illumination of his phone along with the silent buzzing. It was his boss.

 

“Yes?” Jeonghan picked up his phone.

 

“I have a job for you.” It was the same deep and husky voice.

 

Jeonghan sighed, “Did you pay me for the job yesterday?”

 

“5 million won - they transferred it into your account after they disposed of the body,” His boss answered, “Today is the same deal. His name is Kim Shindong, age 47, lives in Miryang. Our team has already placed a tracker on him, so check your GPS. The buyer offered 10 millionーyou know what that means, right?”

 

“He’s got bodyguards?” Jeonghan sighed, there was a long day ahead of him.

 

“From what our scouter has told us, he usually has three bodyguards, one of them is quite reputable. Nothing you shouldn’t be able to handle though. Deadline is eleven o’clock. Same old thing.”

 

“Just make sure you pay me.” Jeonghan murmured before cutting the call. Miryang… that’ll take me 40 minutes if there’s no traffic. Jeonghan retrieved his gun from beneath his pillow and exited the room.

 

As he had expected, Joshua was still asleep on the couch, his face peaceful, completely oblivious to the situation he was in. Jeonghan wasn’t particularly hungry, despite not having a proper meal since the morning before; he decided that a cup of coffee would suffice. He watched as the coffee beans grinded - as the smell wafted around the room, he couldn’t help but smirk.

 

“Coffee doesn’t work as breakfast, you know that right?”

 

Startled, Jeonghan drew his gun. Joshua was faced in his direction, eyebrows furrowed yet again. “You drew your gun again, didn’t you?”

 

Jeonghan bit his lip, “I thought you said that you were blind? How did you know?”

 

“I can hear, just because I can’t see, doesn’t mean I’m useless.” Joshua stood up from the couch and made his way towards Jeonghan, “Why do you bother pointing your gun? You can’t shoot me anyways.”

 

“Don’t try your luck,” Jeonghan snarled, “just because I didn’t shoot you yesterday, doesn’t mean I won’t shoot you now.”

 

Although he was blind, Joshua seemed to face directly at Jeonghan, “The only thing you’ll gain from shooting me is a floor and corpse to clean.”

 

“Tsk,” Jeonghan put his gun away, “bastard…”

 

“Are you going somewhere? You don’t seem like the type to get up early?” Joshua questioned.

 

“Really? What type do I seem like then? The type that sleeps in?” Jeonghan smirked.

 

Joshua shook his head, his fringe covering his eyes, “The type that doesn’t sleep at all.”

 

Joshua was so spot on that Jeonghan felt his eyes widen. Lucky for him, Joshua couldn’t see his bewilderment.

 

“Hey, you never told me your name.”

 

“Haa? Do I need to tell you my name? Do you deserve that right?” Jeonghan remarked with an edgy voice.

 

Joshua smiled, “That’s a good question, do you deserve to be called by your name? Or should I just address you as: you, , devil?”

 

“Tsk,” Jeonghan felt the direct jab at him, “fine, the name’s Jeonghan. Don’t forget it, I won’t say it again.”

 

“Jeonghan…” Joshua seemed to dwell on his name, sending shivers down Jeonghan’s spine.

 

“I’m going out,” Jeonghan announced, “and since I don’t trust you yet, I’m going to lock you into the basement.”

 

“Do you take me as a threat?” Joshua inquired, wandering close to the smell of coffee beans.

 

Jeonghan poured himself a cup of coffee, not breaking his gaze on Joshua, “I can’t even trust that you are blind, and even if you are, you could easily be a spy from my enemies.”


 

“I really am blind...” Joshua was now standing next to Jeonghan. “When will you be back?”

 

Jeonghan took a sip from his coffee, “What does it matter to you? I don’t think we have the relationship to talk about these kinds of things.” His coffee suddenly lost taste and he emptied it into the sink, “Follow me.”

 

~

 

Jeonghan led him down the stairs into the basement. It was well maintained but practically empty. “There’s nothing here for you to do, but that’s not my problem. You can sleep, or you can wait.” Joshua felt as Jeonghan made his way back up the stairs.

 

“Wait,” Joshua turned to face Jeonghan, “what is your job? Does it involve using your gun? Are you… going to kill someone?”

 

Jeonghan stopped in his tracks and looked down at Joshua, “Yes, that is my job.” He said and closed the door, locking it behind him.

 

~

 

“What do you want, Mingyu?” Jeonghan had been driving his black car on the highway the moment someone had called him.

 

“Don’t be so cold, Jeonghan,” A clear voice came from Jeonghan’s phone, “you need my help for this job anyways.”

 

“Keep your hands off, Mingyu, I’m not giving you any of the money,” Jeonghan gritted his teeth.

 

There was a loud cackle over the phone, “Whether you give the money to Wonwoo and I or not, you’ll still need our help. You don’t have the resources to break into Kim Shindong’s house anyways. One slip up, and the whole house will be swarmed with bodyguards, the police even.”

 

“…” Jeonghan swore as he pressed down on the gas pedal, “I’ll give the two of you 4 million to share, the rest is mine.”

 

“Deal,” Mingyu answered, “We’ll meet you at the usual area.”

 

“Don’t forget, the deadline is eleven o’clock. A second over, and we lose the money.” Jeonghan said and hung up. He hated working with others, too much room for unwanted trust, too much room for betrayal.

 

~

 

“Hey, Jeonghan!” Two tall boys greeted Jeonghan in an empty cafe. Besides the three of them and a single person cleaning cup behind counter, the shop was empty. Maybe because the cafe wasn’t just any regular cafe.

 

“Long time no see,” The other boy smirked slightly, the boy that Mingyu had addressed as Wonwoo. They worked as partners in this job.

 

Jeonghan sighed and sat down across from the two, “Let’s try to keep it that way, Mingyu, Wonwoo.”

 

“Want anything to drink?” Wonwoo was preoccupied, flipping through the menu. “Coffee?”

 

“I wouldn’t drink anything that Woozi made me.” Jeonghan growled as he eyed the boy behind the counter. He was oddly short, with oddly bright pink hair. When the boy caught Jeonghan’s gaze, he bared his teeth.

 

Mingyu sent a wave over in Woozi’s direction. “We’d like to order please.”

 

The short boy let out a deep sigh and made his way over to their table. Once he arrived at their table, he purposely decided to avoid Jeonghan’s gaze. “What do you want?”

 

“A coke for me,” Mingyu winked, “what about you, Wonwoo?”

 

“Just a cup of black coffee will work,” Wonwoo said and closed the menu.

 

Just as Woozi was retrieving the menus, Mingyu spoke up again, “I’m surprised that Seungcheol isn’t here? Is he out on a mission?”

 

Seungcheol was the other owner of the ‘cafe’, him and Woozi worked as partners obviously, usually meaning they left on missions together.

 

“Mind your own business, Mingyu,” Woozi glared at the boy, “before someone puts a hole in your head.”

 

Mingyu smirked, “No need to get defensive, Woozi, you’ll go bald before you turn thirty.”

 

Woozi gave the boy one last dirty glance before making his way back to the counter. “Then,” Wonwoo started, “let’s get down to business.”

 

“As mentioned by the boss, Kim Shindong usually has three bodyguards with him at all times. His most reputable bodyguard, you may of heard of him - Park Jinyoung. We’ll have a better chance at killing the target if we don’t encounter Jinyoung directly. If we do, I don’t think Wonwoo or I can hold him off.” Mingyu spoke gravely, “You can surely take him on, but if you do, you won’t be able to shoot Kim Shindong.”

 

“We need to think of a different plan.” Wonwoo summed up.

 

Jeonghan had forgotten for a moment, even though they all worked under the same job, many of them had ruled murder not an option for their missions. Many of them except Jeonghan.

 

“Wonwoo and I can take down the surveillance cameras and alarms, then we can easily sneak inside. However, after we get inside, we still have the matter of the bodyguards to figure out.”

 

Jeonghan bit down on his lip, immersed in his thoughts. “Then… how about this?”

 

~

 

The clock struck nine o’clock - two hours until the deadline.

 

“...Are you two done?” Jeonghan whispered, Wonwoo and Mingyu typing away madly on a laptop inside of Jeonghan’s car. When Jeonghan glanced at it, he couldn’t understand what was written on the screen. Some coding and hacking .

 

Mingyu closed the laptop, “security cameras and alarms are down.”

 

“Let’s go.”

 

The three exited from the car that had been parked several meters behind Kim Shindong’s house. Discreetly, they made their way towards the house.

 

Jeonghan checked his GPS as they got closer; it was accurate enough to tell Jeonghan which side of the house he was located. “This window.”

 

They worked quickly - Wonwoo used his tool set to unhinge the paned glass, creating a perfect opening. “Hurry.”

 

They entered into what they could only assume was a guest room. At this point, the trio decided to pull out their guns. Jeonghan signalled Wonwoo and Mingyu, and they silently made their way through the hall. Following the GPS signal like a hawk, they found the formidable Park Jinyoung around the corner, waiting outside a closed door.

 

Mingyu pulled something from his belt - a gas bomb.

 

Three… two… one.

 

~

 

Alone, with no signs of life, Joshua couldn't tell how much time had passed. How long had he been waiting? One hour? Surely longer than that. Somewhere between the hours, Joshua found himself dozing off. Weird, since he had slept plenty the night before.

 

It was the quiet, yet so piercing click that brought Joshua’s ears to life again. Accompanied with the click, there was a creak and he saw light in the direction of the stairs.

 

“You’re back?” Joshua wobbled towards the stairs, feet unstable from sitting for many hours.

 

“Did you have fun waiting?” The voice was unmistakable, it was Jeonghan. “Want to leave my house now?”

 

Joshua’s face looked grim, “You smell… of blood.”

 

Jeonghan had just finished his mission, the clock reading 10:30PM. He hadn’t bothered to be careful of how he shot Kim Shindong so his dress shirt and hand was stained with dried blood.

 

“Mm, does it bother you?” Jeonghan smirked.

 

“Does it bother you?” Joshua asked back, making his way up the stairs carefully.

 

“Tsk,” Jeonghan glared at the boy, “you should go to bed now, it’s late. I don’t want you bothering me.”

 

Joshua shook his head, “I’m not tired, I slept while you were gone.”

 

“Well sleep more,” Jeonghan growled, you already know I don’t sleep, I don’t want to see your face for my every waking moment.”

 

“No. If you don’t want to see me, you should try sleeping. Better than that, you should’ve shot me yesterday, or this morning, or now even.” Joshua answered.

 

“Just sleep goddamnit!” Jeonghan rose his voice and brought his hand down on the side of Joshua's neck.

 

“Ngh…”

 

Jeonghan watched as Joshua's body crumpled to the floor, clearly unconscious. For a moment Jeonghan thought of leaving him there on the floor.

 

“Tsk…” Jeonghan picked up the light boy and placed him down on the couch properly. His strange compassion for the boy bugged him immensely. He should’ve shot him. He was regretting it. Regretting not killing him.


A/N: Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Sorry it didn't really have many JiHan moments, I wanted to add in a little bit of Jeonghan's "job". Are you guys happy with Meanie entering the story? They won't have a very prominent position in the story however, they're definitely in there. Let me know what you guys want to see? Thanks for all the feedback! Love y'all <3