Reunion

Devil's Retribution

Jeonghan enveloped his hands around Joshua’s frail ones - all of the anger that had filled him moments ago nonexistent. Why had he been angry to begin with? His face displayed all sorts of emotions - regret, guilt, frustration, sadness, love. They had concluded that Joshua had only passed out, however, none of them could explain why he suddenly did.

 

“Maybe the stress got to him?” Woozi had suggested.

 

Jeonghan had seen the pain on Joshua’s face before he had collapsed. His words… Maybe he really doesn’t remember anything…

 

He had killed Im Chae Dong that night. But his words hadn’t died along with him. Joshua’s last name had bugged him as well. It was the same as Jack’s last name.

 

Jeonghan’s grip on Joshua’s hand tightened, So you were alive… Jeonghan couldn’t identify whether he was incredibly grateful, or incredibly regretful. If he had known that Jack was alive, maybe he wouldn’t of killed that man. Maybe their future would’ve been different than it was now.

 

Joshua… Jeonghan closed his eyes tightly, you must wake up. There are so many things that I never got to tell you.

 

~

 

“Jeonghan! I’m home,” Jane’s voice echoed throughout the small orphanage. “Come out and meet the new members of our family!”

 

Jane took off her shoes, not once letting go of the little hands in her grasp. “Jeonghan?”

 

A small boy appeared from behind  the bend of the corridor. His hair was a shocking blond, and his eyes were large and bright like dewdrops. “Who are they, Jane?” The little boy pointed with his short arms to the two children at Jane’s side. One was a boy with brown hair, the other was a girl with long black hair tied into pigtails.

 

“Jeonghan, this is Jack and Renee. Jack, Renee, this is Jeonghan,” Jane smiled, “the four of us will be living together from now on.”

 

Jeonghan abandoned his spot at the bend of the corridor and made his way to the front door. When he reached them, he stopped in front of Jack. The brown haired boy took one look at Jeonghan, and without a word, smiled brightly.

 

“You look stupid,” Jeonghan said despite the corners of his lips tightening. “I’ll teach you to become smart like me.”

 

“Haha, be nice to them, Jeonghan,” Jane finally let go of their hands, letting Jeonghan drag them down the hallway. “Jack’s five and Renee’s a year younger. That makes you the oldest, okay? You take good care of them now.” Jane smiled and ruffled Jeonghan’s bright hair.

 

Jeonghan looked back at Jane, “En.”

 

~

 

Joshua’s eyes fluttered open unconsciously to nothing. “J-Jeonghan?” The hand enveloping his own immediately tensed.

 

“You’re awake.” It was Jeonghan’s voice.

 

“What happened?” Joshua sat up. He was under the sheets in someone’s bed. Based off the faint smell of coffee, Joshua concluded they were still in the cafe.

 

“You fainted,” Jeonghan said in a shallow voice, “does.. your head still hurt?”

 

Joshua shook his head, “But… there’s something wrong with me.” Joshua closed his eyes.

 

“What? What’s wrong?” Jeonghan rose his voice slightly, worried to the ends of his wits.

 

“There’s someone’s memories inside of me. You’re in them. Jane is in them. And Renee…” Joshua bit his lip, “They keep calling me Jack. That's - what you called me earlier wasn’t it?”

 

“You… remember?” Memories that Jeonghan had left deep inside his brain suddenly resurfaced. From the moment they had first met, till the moment Jack had died.

 

“These… are my memories aren’t they?” Joshua’s shoulders trembled ever so slightly, “That was… before the accident. No, before the murder, am I right? That day, when Renee and I went out to the park. We, got hit by a car didn’t we? I heard on the news… that boy, was you, wasn’t it?” All the pieces had slowly come together, forming one picture.

 

Jeonghan sighed deeply. He had never thought he would have to explain that event to anyone, ever. “Yes, because of that event, because I thought that both of you had died, I exchanged my soul with the devil and killed that man. And… Jane saw all of it.” Jeonghan gripped Joshua’s hand tightly, “I could never go back, not after what I’d done. After what I’d seen within Jane’s eyes.”

 

“Jeonghan… so your ways came to be, because of us?” Joshua felt his heart ache.

 

“It wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t Renee’s either. Maybe God had just damned me, or maybe I was just unlucky.” Jeonghan leaned forward and with one of his hands, brushed Joshua’s hair from his closed eyes. “It wasn’t your fault.”

 

“Jeonghan…”

 

There was a small knock at the door and Seungcheol’s head poked through the gap, “Good, you’re awake, Joshua.” Seungcheol opened the door wider, “You two should come into the other room. Wonwoo’s awake.”

 

~

 

When Jeonghan and Joshua entered the other room, Wonwoo’s eyes seemed to light up. He looked better definitely, his face had gained some of its colour and he was sitting upright in the bed.

 

“How… are you feeling?” Joshua asked, suddenly realising how awkward the situation itself was.

 

“...I’ve had better days,” Wonwoo said with the slightest twitch of his face. Clearly, he was still in immense pain. “Jeonghan. Joshua.” Wonwoo swallowed hard, “Words can’t express how much regret I feel for telling the boss about you. I don’t know why I did such a thing… I’m ashamed honestly.”

 

The aura in the room dampened; Mingyu, Seungcheol, and Woozi didn’t dare say a word for they believed that they didn’t fit in the situation.

 

“Wonwoo,” Joshua felt his way towards the bed, accepting Mingyu’s hand of guidance. “I was really angry about what you had done. You had endangered not only my life, but Jeonghan’s life as well. And in doing so, you risked the lives of many other’s as well. I’d have every right to hate you for the rest of my life and you wouldn’t have any right to object.” Joshua paused to take a deep breath in, “But I won’t stay angry at you. There is someone else that I need to direct my hate at. Being angry at you will only distract all of us.” Joshua turned his head towards Jeonghan, “We need to set these people free.”

 

Joshua’s words were literal. He wanted to set them free from the world that they had trapped themselves in. He wasn’t trying to be a hero or anything, he just wanted to set them free. Now that he had seen them, he couldn’t leave them.

 

Jeonghan ran his hands through his hair, “Wonwoo, you know that I’m not as forgiving as Joshua. You’d better to prepared for me to land a few punches on you when this is over. Until then, you can’t die. Definitely not to that old bastard.” Jeonghan’s smirk was crooked but somehow relieving.

 

“I understand.” The corner of Wonwoo’s lips rose slightly.

 

“Good, that’s settled then.”Seungcheol crossed his arms with high spirits. “By the way, Joshua are you feeling okay? You scared the hell out of us just then.”

 

Joshua jolted slightly at the question, he wanted to look at Jeonghan for answers. Should I tell them? All of a sudden, he felt the warmth of a hand on his shoulder. It was Jeonghan’s hand.

 

The boy let out a small sigh, “Yes, I’m fine. I guess I must’ve been exhausted from all the chaos these past days.” Joshua tried to give a reassuring smile to the other’s, “Don’t worry, I’m feeling fine now.”

 

“That’s good,” Woozi spoke up, “we’ll need all of us in good condition if-”

 

All of a sudden, a muffled tune sounded in the room.

 

“Oh sorry, that’s mine,” Seungcheol said immediately and pulled his phone out from his right pocket. “Hello?”

 

There was a silence in the room as Seungcheol spoke on the phone. They couldn’t hear what he was talking about, but his face seemed to say it all.

 

After seconds of Seungcheol listening to the person on the phone he spoke, “Okay, I’ll let the other’s know.” He said and hung up the call.

 

“What is it?” Woozi raised his eyebrows curiously.

 

Seungcheol bit his lip, “Looks like we’ll be at our wits end serving drinks,” He said jokingly, “the other’s... are coming here now.”


A/N: Sorry this chapter is like a little late ^^" At least I got it up before it officially turned Thrusday ^^" Hope you enjoy this chapter, although it's a little short. Things will be getting really exciting through the next chapters and I can happy announce that this fanfic should finish on August 26th if every goes to schedule ^^ Send lots of love guys, love y'all~

Shoutout to Jeonghan- and natoli for upvoting ^^~ Thanks for commenting as well guys <3 <3