Amnesia

Devil's Retribution

Im Chae Dong… Jeonghan let his foot down on the pedal, the engine roaring as he sped down the highway. As he drove, the sun was slowing falling and soon it met with the dark horizon. Night was coming.

 

Jeonghan wanted to get back to the cafe as fast as possible. He hated having to leave Joshua there in that state. He didn’t want to leave Joshua with anyone - he couldn’t trust anyone to protect him besides himself.

 

The engine’s roar grew louder as Jeonghan sped up more. At this point, he didn’t care much for surpassing the speed limit; he only cared about finishing the job as soon as possible.

 

“Take exit 3 in the next 100 meters”

 

The robotic voice from his phone spoke. Typically, Jeonghan preferred to checking his phone periodically and following the map. But typically, he wasn’t in a hurry.

 

Jeonghan’s foot pulled off of the pedal as he entered a small side road.

 

“You will reach your destination in 20 meters on your right”

 

Jeonghan slammed on the brakes and pulled up on the side of the road. Within seconds, he had switched off the engine, grabbed his phone and exited the vehicle.

 

Let’s get it over with. Jeonghan thought as he creeped up Im Chae Don’s driveway. The lights were on and a classic high class car was parked in the driveway. Hopefully you’ll be the second last person I’ll kill. Jeonghan cocked his gun.

 

But Jeonghan was wrong. Im Chae Dong would be the last person he’d ever kill.

 

Before Jeonghan could even start picking the lock, the door suddenly slid open leaving a small gap in the entrance.

 

What?

 

Jeonghan held his gun up and pushed the door slowly. The lights in the hallway were lit but it was empty.

 

“You may come in, Jeonghan.”

 

Jeonghan felt a shiver go down his spine as he heard his name. From one of the doors, a short man appeared and stepped into the hallway. Jeonghan clenched his teeth and aimed his gun straight at the man’s skull.

 

“Now now, I don’t think you want to kill me just yet,” The old man smiled sinisterly, his hands rested on a small wooden cane.

 

“Im Chae Dong?” Jeonghan inquired.

 

“That would be me,” The man’s smile grew. His hands caressing his cane.

 

Jeonghan bit his lip. What the is going on… “How did you know I was coming?”

 

“When you have so many enemies, you know when they’ll attack. They’re all cowards, it’s no doubt that they’d hire someone else to do their dirty work for them. And no doubt, they’d want it done well. There’s only one man that those geezers would trust to murder me.” His right hand rose and pointed at Jeonghan, “Yoon Jeonghan.”

 

“I am going to kill you,” Jeonghan growled, “there’s no doubt about that.”


Jeonghan glared at the man, and the man glared back at him. “I know I’m a dead man. But - there’s something you should know first.”

 

Jeonghan scoffed, “What information do you have that could possibly be worthwhile for me? I have no secrets.”

 

“You may not have any,” The man’s yellow and half rotten teeth showed when he smiled, “but your friend does. Hong Joshua.”

 

Hong?

 

“You should come in from the doorway first. Wouldn’t want your wounds to open. That would be bad, wouldn’t it?”

 

The man began shuffling back into the room he had appeared from before. Jeonghan blinked. He knows that I was injured… Jeonghan kept his gun up and began walking to the door. Im Chae Dong, who are you, and what do you know?

 

~

 

“Please, have a seat.”

 

The room was filled with expensive furniture- chairs, tables, glassware, bookshelves, and large paintings. No matter how much Jeonghan scanned the room, it didn't seem out of the ordinary. A well furnished home which belonged to a high income man. What could this geezer possibly know?

 

“How do you know Joshua?” Jeonghan refused to sit and refused the cup of tea that the man offered him. “Why would a stranger like you know him?”

 

The old man sat down heavily onto an armchair. “Angel's Orphanage.”

 

The name struck hard into Jeonghan’s nerves.

 

“Heh, I might not look like it, but I was quite devoted into that orphanage. It was nothing more than a small rundown orphanage, until that day many years ago. When its name appeared in headlines due to a cold blooded murder by a nine year old - Yoon Jeonghan.” The man leaned forward onto his cane, “I'm sure you remember that day very well,” the man smiled, “the day when your family Jack and Renee were hit by a car.”

 

Jeonghan’s grip on his gun tightened. This man… he knew too much. He didn't want to hear about his past again or hear their names being called by a stranger.

 

“Then you were taken in by your boss and you became a killer for money. Kind of sad don't you think?” The man smirked, “But that's not all. I doubt you ever checked the news after that incident, so you never heard that both Jack and Renee survived.”

 

Im Chae Dong reached into his pocket and pulled out what seemed to be a voice recorder. After pressing several buttons, a stranger's voice echoed through the room.

 

“Nine year-old orphan in Busan has gone missing after killing a man outside their orphanage. The man was stabbed seventeen times and died instantly during the assault. The reason for the murder is correlated to the man hitting two children from the orphanage who were crossing the road. Both children are currently recovering, however, they are both alive.”

 

The man pressed another button and the voice stopped. Jeonghan had become frozen on the spot.

 

What?

 

Jeonghan couldn't believe his ears. Jack and Renee were alive?

 

The man seemed to be amused by Jeonghan's reaction so he pressed yet another button.

 

“An update to the freak incident last weekend at Angel's Orphanage. One of two survivors of the car crash, Renee, has passed away due to the severity of her injuries. Jack, the other survivor has lost sight in both of his eyes and is still recuperating. More news, soon to come.”

 

“So, have you realised what's going on?” The man caressed his hands and looked into Jeonghan's wild eyes.

 

Jack, is alive? Jeonghan's mind raced. And, he's lost his sight. A sudden dawning thought fell on Jeonghan. Joshua Hong. Jack Hong.

 

From the look in Jeonghan's eyes, he had realised it.

 

“Your guess is right Jeonghan.” The man let out a loud cackle that echoed endlessly in the room. “Your guess is right.”

 

~

 

It was getting late, the digital clock on the table beeping as it switched to 12:00AM. None of them had moved in a long while. Wonwoo still hadn't awakened, Mingyu had fallen asleep, his head resting on the bed, and Seungcheol and Woozi had been mumbling to each other the possibilities and plan of their escape.

 

Joshua decided to break the silence as he stood to his feet. As he did so, Seuncheol and Woozi looked to him.

 

“I'm just going to go downstairs and get a drink of water.” Joshua whispered reassuringly.

 

Woozi frowned, “I can do it.”

 

“No,” Joshua smiled wearily, “you've done enough, Woozi. I can handle this much myself.” The boy left no room for Woozi to insist and he was soon making his way down the stairs.

 

The few hours that Jeonghan had been gone, he was all that had been on Joshua's mind. His face still grew hot when he thought about Jeonghan's lips on his forehead, and yet, his heart still ached when he remembered Jeonghan leaving the room.

 

What's taking him so long…

 

Joshua arrived at the bottom of the steps and felt his way to the counter. It didn't take him as long as he thought to locate the water jug and he poured himself a glass.

 

It was at that moment that Joshua felt a gust of wind accompanied by light steps. Familiar steps.

 

“Jeonghan! You're back?” Joshua abandoned his cup on the counter and made his way to the door of the cafe. As Joshua got closer, he grew more nervous. Why wasn't he saying anything? Was it not Jeonghan? “Jeonghan?” Joshua strained to see in the dark lit room. It was white. Jeonghan's blond hair. It was Jeonghan. Then why…

 

“Joshua.”

 

Joshua felt his heart flutter as his name was called. It was Jeonghan. Joshua smiled, “What happened outside? Did you get hurt?”

 

“No. I'm not hurt.” Jeonghan's voice was shallow and low, a tone that Joshua was not used to have directed at him.

 

“Jeonghan? What's wrong…”

 

“Yes. Do tell Joshua,” Jeonghan growled, “what is wrong?”

 

Joshua felt an immense weight in his chest, “What…”

 

“Or should I say, Jack?” Jeonghan purposely said the name bitterly. Why was he angry? Shouldn't he be happy that Jack was still alive? “Why did you hide it from me. Why didn't you tell me!”

 

“Jeonghan?” At this point, both Seungcheol and Woozi had heard the voices and rushed down the stairs. “What's going on?”

 

“Stay out of this,” Jeonghan growled and placed his attention back on Joshua. “ Why didn't you tell me! Why didn't you come and find me! Do you have any idea, how much I've been suffering? How much I wanted to die and how much I regretted not coming with you that day!?”

 

“J-Jeonghan,” Joshua stuttered, “I-I don't know what you're talking about.” Joshua didn't know, he really didn't know. He couldn't find anything in his memory that could serve as explanation to Jeonghan's words.

 

“Don't play dumb,” Jeonghan clenched his hands. “You know exactly what I'm talking about, Jack!”

 

“Ngh…” Joshua's hands flew up to his head. All of a sudden, his head had begun to ache, coming in large pulses throwing him off his balance.

 

What… Suddenly, in the darkness of Joshua's vision, pictures came flashing. Memories in pictures, like he had always been able to see. Another boy, a girl, a lady. A car. Red.

 

“Aughh!!!!” Joshua let out a wretched scream as he grabbed his head in pain.

 

“J-Joshua!?” Jeonghan shouted in worry, his anger immediately washed over.

 

“Ngh…” Suddenly, Joshua's hands fell to his side, his legs buckled beneath him, and there was a loud thump as his body crumpled onto the floor. His body lay there, unconscious.

 

Jeonghan ran forward, “Joshua!!!”


A/N: Hey guys! Back with another episode and we've reached double digits!!! Lol, thanks for the feedback as well. Comments really do help writers write chapters ^^"" Unbelievable right?? Anyway, look forward to another chapter ^^~~~ This fic will be finishing up in the next few chapters soon <3 Love y'all