CHAPTER 1

BEHIND THIS MASK

 

 

 

AN INTRODUCTION: THE PARK SISTERS

 

          A life filled with misery will never be gone when you continue to live in it. As time goes on, the pain subsides, yet the scar remains. But then again, life must go on.

 

           As usual, Cheun ah woke up early to prepare for her summer job at the nearby coffee shop. She is on summer break. She had been taking up Psychology, and would be a 3rd year student at Seoul Medical University (SMU) this June. She was a candidate for Suma Laude next year, so she had to submit a baby thesis for approval from her adviser. She is currently doing research at the coffee shop for her baby thesis.

              Life is tough for her, being the eldest. She has to make sure that they are living comfortably and that they have everything they need. She has to be strong for her sisters and herself.  Ever since their parents passed away, she had been playing the roles of her parents for her sisters. She builds up this wall of awareness around her because she is afraid to fail as a big sister. She doesn’t like to show her emotions to others because she is afraid that it would lead her to letting her guard down. As long as she can put up this strong front of hers, she isn’t afraid of failing.

            Everyday, I will face the people around me with my mask on. I will never allow anyone to see through the real me. It will be my downfall when that time comes. As long as can, I will be strong for my sisters.

 

          Seobie will be returning from Japan after her overseas OJT. It was part of the school’s curriculum as a completion requirement for 1st year HRM students to pass and go on to 2nd year. She is currently enrolled at the International Affairs University of Seoul (IAUS) and is part of the University Student Council (USC).

          She has always been the quiet type, who keeps herself away from the outside. She took up HRM because she doesn’t like talking casually to strangers. In her course, she had to talk formally to strangers, and that is the only way she knows how to interact with people. Even at school, she doesn’t talk too much, unless she had to recite. 

          In contrast to her personality with others, she is a very jolly person around her sisters. It is only at home that she can freely speak her mind, not afraid of being judged by others. Yes, she is afraid of doing something that might hurt others, especially her sisters. Ever since their parents passed away, she was afraid of the people outside that she tries to distance herself from them. But she knows that as long as her sisters are there, she is safe and she can still be who she is.          

          When I keep myself away from the world, I will always feel secure. As long as my sisters are here, it’s all I’ll ever need.

 

        The summer break is almost over. Mireu would be entering college in a week’s time. She was planning on taking up Performing Arts, majoring in Music at Seoul University (SU). Her sisters were so happy that she had finally decided on what course to take. They never doubted that she wouldn’t pass the entrance exam. After all, she was valedictorian when she graduated from high school. She is a good singer as well.

         Mireu lived life as a kid should have. Her sisters never stopped her from experiencing things that she has to experience. Not that her sisters spoil her, but they trust her. They know that she wouldn’t do something that she knows could harm them. Mireu may be the baby, but she acts mature when she needs to.

         She knows that Cheun Ah is trying her best to provide for them and to keep them intact. Seobie is doing her best to be strong for them. As long as her sisters needs her, she would do everything she can to show them that they aren’t alone.

         When their parents died, she saw how lonely her sisters were. From then on, she decided to be the carrier of happiness and life back to their home. And she didn’t fail. She couldn’t anymore see the pain that the tragedy brought, although she knows that the pain wouldn’t completely go away.

          I promise to keep this smile on. If it can help keep all the bad memories away, I won’t allow anyone to take my smile off. As long as I can see my sisters happy, I will always smile for them.