Destiny

니가 제일 싫어 I hate you the most

It's been a month since the beginning of the first semester. Hyunseung was enjoying his classes which included the basics such as Math, Korean Literature, English language, Practical Dance... but one subject... that one subject he couldn't focus on... Practical Music, where he was classmates with Yong Junhyung, his childhood enemy.

The two weren't on good terms exactly. Junhyung rejected Hyunseung's offer to be friends. Hyunseung regretted even asking that. Now that they were classmates for practical music, being seatmates as well, the level of awkwardness was rising.

Hyunseung tried to be friendly. He started with small talk or even just questions about class, "Do you have notes on last week's lesson?" but no matter what Hyunseung did or said or asked, Junhyung remained cold and unresponsive as if Hyunseung was dead air.

'Get it to your thick skull, Hyunseung... he doesn't wanna be friends... leave it at that'

Hyunseung thought after one month of trying to set things straight and begin anew, giving up was the only option. Apparently, it wasn't the option anymore.

"I'm pairing everyone up for your first ever music performance," the professor announced to everyone.

'Oh no...'

"The one sitting beside you..."

'Oh please no'

"...will be your partner this semester."


'Nooooooo!!!!!!'

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Seated together at lunch, Hyunseung and Junhyung were forced to collaborate on a music performance. As a project, they were required to compose a 1-minute song together with anything as visual presentation - music video, dance or acting. It would be a challenge if you partnered with the wrong person but for Hyunseung and Junhyung --- it definitely was going to be a challenge.

"What about we do a dance performance? I can choreograph the dance. The music will come from your composition--"

Junhyung slammed his hand on the table and Hyunseung was startled.

"I-Is something wrong?"

"I'm not using my compositions."

Hyunseung raised his eyebrows. "Wh-What? I just assumed you'd want to--"

"Stop thinking you know me because you don't."

"Okay. Okay, I'll stop thinking that. But you're not exactly making this easy for me."

"I'm not intending to become friendly. So, this project is the only thing we will meet for and talk about. Got it?"

"Err..."

Junhyung stood up and said, "Our theme will be evolution. I'll get some songs, mix them then you dance to them. I have class in 10 minutes so I'm leaving."

Hyunseung wanted to say something to stop Junhyung but nothing came out of the former's mouth. He just watched Junhyung walk away.

Hyunseung sighed, "There goes being friendly. I should just stop trying to be nice. He doesn't like me and never will. Have to accept that, I guess." He got up from his chair and decided to go to the dance room to practice some choreography for their project.

If there was one thing that cleared Hyunseung's mind, it was dance.

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

"Being classmates with one of your childhood enemies, that's destiny, Junhyung-ah," Doojoon commented while drinking his canned coffee. Doojoon and Junhyung walked down the hallway after their class had finished.

"Destiny is just a bunch of bullcrap, Doojoon-ah."

"
Okay~ If you say so~" Doojoon was enjoying his coffee until he stopped in his tracks and realized he had forgotten something. "I left my notes! Damn. It's for Economics class."

"You have that next?"

"I have to be in building A in 5 minutes! I hate these short break times. Sorry but I have to leave you. Is it cool?"

"Don't worry. Get going. I'll just mix up songs in the tech room."

"Great! See ya!" The two best friends waved goodbye and went their separate ways.

Junhyung took out his smartphone, plugged in his earphones and placed one earpiece in his ear. He flipped through songs he thought were good to use for his practical music project and continued traveling to his destination. As he walked down the first floor of building C where the college of music had their classes, he noticed someone was inside the dance studio. Removing his earpiece, he looked inside the room.

Smooth dance transitions and elegant strides, Junhyung only knew one person that danced that well without fail. As the dancer did a 180 degree turn, Junhyung took a good look at the dancer's face. He should've known. It was Hyunseung.

The view from behind the door's glass window took Junhyung back to middle school when he caught Hyunseung dancing. The passion and fire in Hyunseung was all that Junhyung could see as the latter watched from afar. Hyunseung then paused his music and stopped dancing.

He was cursing himself,  "Jang Hyunseung, why can't you dance like before?" Hyunseung threw his towel to the ground and growled in frustration. He was losing his touch. But he didn't know that there was one person that still believed he had the talent.

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

The following week, Junhyung arrived at class and threw a CD case on top of Hyunseung's side of the table.

Hyunseung held it up and asked, "What's this?"

"It's the mix I made for the project."

"Oh, thanks. I'll get started on the choreography. Junhyung, do you want to help?"

"I did my part, you do yours."

Hyunseung was taken aback. Did Junhyung really need to continue his unfriendly attitude? It didn't matter anymore. They were close to finishing their project for class. After that, they wouldn't need to talk to each other. That's how it should be afterwards -- just remain acquaintances. Better yet, just strangers. It would be for the best.

The next day, Hyunseung went to the dance studio to create the routine for the project. When he placed the CD in the stereo, he noticed that the songs used weren't songs he heard before. They were new.

"I thought he was mixing songs... this doesn't sound familiar..." Hyunseung commented.

The song started off melow, violin and bass accompanied by a flute. It later transitioned to a more energetic sound, more suspense into the music. All-in-all, there were 5 transitions which accounted to 5 transitions in evolution. Hyunseung was definitely inspired by this music and was able to create a dance routine for half the song.

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Hyunseung tried texting and calling Junhyung to get a second opinion about the dance routine but Junhyung never replied or answered. Hyunseung had to search on his own where Junhyung could be staying during break time. Hyunseung decided to go to the top floor -- the rooftop of building C.

When he was there, a guy was dancing alone. Following the beat of the music, he popped and lock like a dance machine. Hyunseung was amazed by the guy's talent. But as the guy was about to do a b-boy move, he fell on his arm. Apparently, his arm was too weak to hold his bodyweight. The guy rubbed his arm to make sure nothing was broken. When the guy turned around, familiar faces looked right at each other.

"Yong Junhyung?"

Junhyung was stunned that someone was watching him. He packed his things, unplugged the stereo and rushed out.

"Yong Junhyung, where are you going?" Hyunseung grabbed Junhyung by the shoulder and Junhyung shoved him off.

"Get the f--k away from me!"

"What's your problem?!"

"You! You're my f--king problem! Stop trying to be nice to me and stop trying to contact me!"

"Why?! Why is it so bad that I do those things to you?!"

"Because you're the reason I left 6 years ago and I don't want to do it again! Leave me alone!"

Junhyung pushed Hyunseung away and ran down the stairs.

Hyunseung was stunned. He was the reason Junhyung left? Junhyung hated him that much? Hyunseung felt bad that Junhyung suffered when they were younger. Even though Junhyung said to stop being nice, Hyunseung wasn't the type to let these things go so easily. It's destiny they met again and there was a purpose for their meeting again.
He was determined to get on Junhyung's good side and he will make sure it will happen.

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Hi. Sorry it's been so long;;; Ahe. I can't update that often but I want to finish this fic :P I hope you guys comment so you can motivate me to finish this fic. That's all I ask in return~~ THANK YOU! Enjoy!