Chapter 41

One year of Taemin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pulling back out of our kiss, Chanyeol caught my eye.  We didn’t make eye contact but I saw him turning away just as I turned in his direction. 

I frowned thinking, why can’t he just stop staring.  Most of the party decided to move back into the living room, taking seats around the sofa, Baekhyun had hijacked the music, and was entertaining people by doing dances from other groups.  Key joined in and it turned into some kind of dance off between them both.

I had made my way into this room, with Jongin and I thought Jen was right behind me, but when I scanned the room to find her she was not there.  Neither was Chanyeol.

‘Excuse me’ I told Jongin.  I walked down the hall towards the bathroom passing an empty room as I went.  Just as I got to the bathroom I heard Jens voice.

‘Chanyeol, you don’t have to pull me away to talk to me, be normal.’ She said.

‘I know I know,’ I heard him reply.  ‘I’m sorry, I just wanted to give this to you, it’s like you said, I wanted to see you open it.’

I moved carefully to beside the door of the room they were in to hear them a little better.

I heard wrapping being pulled apart and a box opening.

‘Chanyeol what is this?’ I could hear Jen laugh. 

‘It’s a music player.’ He said.

There was a pause before she laughed ‘Why did you get me a music player.’

I heard him sigh, ‘It’s what is ON the music player you idiot, not the music player itself.  I wrote you a song.’ He told her.

I swallowed hard, something getting stuck in the back of my throat.  Wasn’t writing someone a song an incredibly romantic thing to do?  I silently cursed myself for not being a better composer.

‘You wrote me a song?’ I heard Jen repeated, she sounded surprised.

‘Yeah, well inspired by you.’ He started to explain ‘it’s not like that!  You can listen to it with Taemin! It’s not supposed to be romantic, it’s just I wrote it and thought of you, that’s all.  In a friendly way.’ He was garbling.

She giggled, ‘it’s ok, calm down.  Should I listen to it now?’

‘Yeah, that’s why I pulled you away from everyone.’ He told her. 

I had heard enough.  I wasn’t over joyed at hearing he wrote a song for her, but what could I possibly do?  He was like her best friend, and she definitely seemed happier with him in her life than not.  

I made my way back to the living room totally forgetting about using the bathroom.

‘Are you ok?’ Jonghyun asked me as I walked back in.

‘Yeah fine fine,’ I forced a smile at him.

I decided the best way to deal with my uncomfortable feelings was to drink.  So, I went to the kitchen and decided shots.  Everyone wanted shots right.  I bought the bottle of booze to the living room and started passing out shots.  In no time at all half the room was completely drunk, Chanyeol and Jen had reappeared but Chanyeol said he was going to leave. 

He approached me, for the first time timidly, avoiding eye contact but thanking me for having him here.  I just nodded, unable to speak for fear of what I would say.  I caught Jens eye who gave me a half smile.

After he left, I was able to more relax, and Baekhyun who was becoming the drunkest decided it was a good idea to put our own music on and dance everyone’s dance. 

It did lighten my mood watching him and Jongin dance to my songs, while Key and Minho and Jonghyun though

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter