Chapter 40

One year of Taemin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Things seemed to get a bit better for us after that day in the practice room dancing.  Somehow Jen seemed slightly happier, although her weight was still low and she was still talking to Chanyeol but she didn’t seem to see him as much as she did.

It was nearing Christmas and things were not so busy, we had prepared for our Japanese album to come out in the new year and we had been practicing so hard for our tours that would take up a lot of our time but for now I was looking forward to my first Christmas with my girlfriend.

I wanted to introduce her to my family, but in Korea, it is not really done to do that unless you are getting married.  To be honest, it isn’t really done to be living together, but our circumstances were rather unique.  My family did know about her, obviously having seen the news and they being the great family they are, were supportive even if my mum was a little surprised at me having a British girlfriend.  I decided I did want them to meet but I also wanted to have a special Christmas just me and Jen.  Jen’s family were going to Canada for Christmas to visit her brother and although she was invited she decided she would stay with me.

The rest of my members were, of course, going home to their families.  Since it was so unusual our schedule was so light over Christmas.  We moved back into my house and decorated it together, I was really happy.  Having been dating for the best part of a year, it was a bit of a different feeling from the beginning, it was more comfortable, and settled in some ways, the love was deeper, although I still struggled with the balance and controlling my jealousy and my paranoia, at least for Christmas I felt like I was with the person I was supposed to be with forever.

A few days before Christmas we held a small kind of gathering.  Jen cooked a lot for everyone, and we decided we would give gifts then.  I usually got the guys gifts and they got me gifts too, but this year they all wanted to get Jen something and she wanted to get them something too.  It was a bit weird to me, since I never got Minho’s girlfriend anything.  Jongin wanted to join our gathering too and asked if it would be ok to bring some of Exo.  I agreed only because I wanted to respect Jen’s friendship with Chanyeol, although I wasn’t comfortable with it, he also was bringing Junmyeon, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo.

On the day of our Christmas gathering, brightly coloured presents lay under the Christmas tree for everyone, including gifts we had got for each other, which we would be saving for Christmas day.  Jen had bought the entire supermarket and had been cooking all day long.  What she had cooked I had no idea, but it smelt good.  It gave me a warm feeling to stand in the doorway of the kitchen, smelling the cooking, watching her dance around to music while she cooked.  She looked comfortable, happy, and my mind started to wander.  I began to imagine this happening every year, a couple of our kids running around the place making noise and mess as Jen, my wife, would be cooking like this for our families who would join us.

‘Are you going to stand there all day?’ she asked looking over her shoulder grinning at me.

I grinned widely back.  ‘Maybe,’ I replied. ‘Do you want any help?’ I asked wanting to sound useful but knowing I really would be no help at all.

‘No, you’re useless.’ She quipped smiling. ‘I’m almost done anyway, are you going to shower?’

‘Yes, I was just on my way to shower now.’ I replied.  It was the truth, I had left the living room to go and shower when I got distracted by her and my day dreaming.

I left the kitchen at her will and went to shower and get ready, continuing my daydream of my future life with her as I went. 

I came back downstairs around an hour later to find she had beautifully decorated the table and filled it full of food, western food, Korean food, Asian food in general.  I was impressed.  I went to grab some when she swatted my hand out the way.

‘Later’ she snapped putting the last dish down. ‘I’m going to get ready now, don’t mess anything up ok?’ she looked at me sternly.

‘Ok, ok’ I promised knowing full well as soon as she was going I was going to try everything I could. I just didn’t want to spill anything or mess it up.

Jonghyun turned up first along with Jinki while Jen was still getting ready. 

‘What is that? It smells amazing, I’m so hungry.’ Commented Jinki as he walked in.  Jonghyun nodding along in agreement.

I grabbed us all some drinks and we went to sit in the living room and talked about the usual things we did when we were together. 

They placed their bags of gifts down as we all sat down.

‘What did you get Jen for Christmas’ Jonghyun asked me with a mischievous smile.

I smirked back, thinking I had done a good job, but for some reason, I didn’t want to tell him.

‘It’s a surprise’ I told him, Jinki laughed.

‘I knew he wouldn’t tell you’ Jinki said elbowing him in the ribs.

‘Ow, hey that hurt.’ Jonghyun said looking hurt. ‘Come on tell me.’

‘Nope’ I smiled.

‘I found it really hard to get her something.’ Said Jinki, ‘But I hope she likes it anyway.’

We had imposed a kind of budget on everyone.  Well, I imposed a budget, knowing they could all go over the top, and Jen absolutely refused to let me pay for anything she wanted to get them.  She told me it wasn’t the price that counted but the thought.  After she told me that I didn’t want the guys going overboard and her feeling bad, so I told them to stick to a reasonable amount.

‘What did you get her?’ I asked him but Jonghyun answered first.

‘Sunglass’ he announced and I gave him a what the look.

‘Sunglasses? Why?’ I asked him.

‘She always wears them, even if it’s not sunny, even if it’s the middle of winter, she wears sunglasses, on her face or in her hair. So, I got her a pair I actually like.’ He said matter of factly as if it was the best idea he had ever had.  I had to laugh, she really did wear sunglasses all the time.

‘Ok fair enough.’ I told him.

‘I got her this set for skin care,’ Jinki said a little dejected by Jonghyun's gift. ‘Is that ok?’

‘Yeah of course it is.’ I reassured him.

The doorbell rang and in walked Minho with Kibum and Baekhyun, all of them laid down with gifts themselves.

We all made our way into the living room to greet Jonghyun and Jinki as the doorbell rang again.

This time Jongin walked in with Kyungsoo.  Leaving Chanyeol and Junmyeon to arrive last. 

‘Chan is on the way, but he told me if you feel uncomfortable he won’t stay too long,’ Jongin told me as he helped me to get everyone drinks.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter