in between // wonha

constellation of dreams
Please log in to read the full chapter

Wherever Jung Eunbi is, Kim Sojung will be there too, either by her side or right behind her acting like the shorter girl’s personal bodyguard. There is never a day where one will see either of them not with each other. They have been living in a studio apartment together for almost three years now since Eunbi graduated from high school. It would be a weird sight if Eunbi is never seen with Sojung vice versa unless they have work. Even so, Sojung would never fail to send Eunbi to work and pick her up after unless she is working overtime.

 

They are neither related by blood nor a couple but their relationship is surely something special. Something that no one can explain at all. Not even their closest friends can understand the ambiguous relationship they have. They have pestered them countless of times to just get together already but the both of them would just shrug off their comments, saying that they will be nothing more than just best friends. However, it doesn’t take a genius to notice that Sojung and Eunbi do have something for each other. They might not know it themselves but it’s extremely obvious even in the public’s eyes. It made their friends wonder why neither of them would make the first move to confess but they soon gave up, knowing their curiosity won’t make the pair speak the truth.

 

Sojung and Eunbi are both stubborn people after all. It might take them years or maybe even never to state their reasons out loud.



 

Rays of sunlight passes through the small gap between the curtains, causing Eunbi to stir from her sleep. Reaching her hand out to find a certain someone, she wraps her arm tightly around the girl’s waist upon finding her target before tucking her head under the latter’s chin to shield her face from the shining light. The sun is too bright for her liking and she still wanted to sleep more.

 

“Don’t you have work today, Eunbi?” Sojung’s voice sounded tired that Eunbi feels guilty for making her stay up late. She did tell the older girl to not wait for her and just go to sleep but Sojung being Sojung, she didn’t listen to Eunbi and chose to stay up with the young girl.

 

“I forgot to tell you that I’m on leave today,” Eunbi mutters softly, snuggling closer to her best friend. “Let’s just sleep more. You clearly need it.”

 

Humming softly, Sojung pulls the blanket up to cover them and hugs Eunbi even tighter. Feeling comfortable, Eunbi smiles sleepily and finds herself going back to a deep slumber after a few seconds.



 

Sojung is the first one to wake up after sleeping for a few hours more. She slowly cracks her eyes open, the corners of her lips curl up to form a small smile when she sees Eunbi still curled up in her arms. Guiding her hand up, she gently runs her fingers through Eunbi’s locks before pressing a soft kiss on the crown of the latter’s head. She then pulls away slightly after and feels her heart warming up at the sight of the still sleeping Eunbi.

 

Glancing at the digital clock on the table beside the bed, her eyes widen when she sees the numbers 11:48 shown on the screen. It’s almost noon and that means they will be missing breakfast. However, seeing the peaceful look on Eunbi’s face makes her reluctant to wake her best friend up from her beauty sleep.

 

‘This can’t do,’ she sighs internally when her stomach starts to growl. Looking sympathetically at Eunbi, she lightly pats the latter’s back, trying to wake her up from her sleep.

 

A soft laughter escapes Sojung’s lips upon hearing a weak whine coming from Eunbi as she continues to pat her. She feels the latter nuzzling her nose gently against her nape and a soft sigh of content leaves her lips at the action.

 

“It’s time to wake up, Eunbi. It’s almost noon and we haven’t eaten anything yet,” Sojung pokes the younger girl’s side gently, earning a squeal from the half awake girl.

 

“You can go ahead and find something to eat while I continue to sleep more,” Eunbi groans in frustration. Pulling away from Sojung, she grabs a pillow nearby and hugs it instead, earning a look of disbelief from the latter.

 

Giving up, Sojung sits upright on the bed and shakes her head at Eunbi. “Tsk, suit yourself. You’ll have to cook yourself later if you choose to sleep more.”



 

Sojung smirks in victory when she feels a pair of arms wrapped around her waist from the back while she is cooking. However, she chooses to keep quiet and focuses on the eggs she is currently cooking for her and Eunbi. It was only a lie when she told Eunbi that she wouldn’t cook for her. If anything, Sojung would never let Eunbi starve. Yes, the latter can cook on her own but Sojung prefers it better to cook for the younger girl. It puts a smile on her face whenever Eunbi compliments her on her dishes. Sometimes, Eunbi will be the one doing the cooking and Sojung will do just the same. It’s like an everyday routine that neither of them will get tired of.

 

“You're making it half-cooked, right?” Eunbi asks as she takes a peek at the pan.

 

“Of course,” Sojung answers. “I’m cooking it just the way you like it.”

 

Removing her arms from around Sojung, Eunbi’s eyes widen slightly when she notices that the older girl had prepared food other than the half-cooked scrambled eggs. She wonders how long more did she sleep that Sojung was able to prepare pancakes for them. They look extremely fluffy that they are satiating Eunbi’s hunger.

 

“Shall we eat now?” Sojung asks as she places two cups of orange juice on the counter after serving the eggs on a plate.

 

“Mhm, let’s!” Eunbi grins brightly and takes her usual seat on the counter, sitting opposite of Sojung.



 

Sometimes, Eunbi wonders why she can’t just fall for her best friend. Kim Sojung is almost perfect in every aspect. She’s tall, has a model-like figure, can cook, dependable, reliable and basically all the positive words one can think of. Sojung can be scary at times especially when she’s angry but at the end of the day, Eunbi wouldn’t want to trade her favourite person for anyone or anything else.

 

They act like an old married couple on a daily basis and Eunbi enjoys the domestic feeling in the apartment. However, what bothers her most is that although she’s sure that she doesn’t have feelings for Sojung, she still can’t seem to find the perfect suitor for her on the outside world. It’s not like she hasn’t tried going on dates– serious ones– but they end up bailing on her every time that she just chooses to give up in the end. Eunbi doesn’t mind though. She’d rather spend her time sleeping than go on blind dates anyway.

 

Being with Sojung doesn’t make her heart beat fast like all the cliche romantic movies she has watched. There aren’t any feelings of butterflies fluttering wildly in her stomach either. Though, Sojung does make her feel one thing. She feels at home whenever the older girl is around.

 

Before meeting Sojung, Eunbi admits that she was like a lost puppy. Although she had friends in middle school, she still felt lonely. She clicked well with the group but she did not feel all too welcomed. She only joined them because she did not want people to see her as someone unapproachable.

 

Eunbi thought her whole life would be dull until Sojung appeared in her life. It was as if by chance– if not, it was fate, Eunbi must say that Sojung appeared when she needed someone the most. Her parents were busy. Her friends were busy too. Eunbi had a problem but she could go to neither of them for help and she was left to dwell in her own negative thoughts. They were suffocating her and she really thought she was going to drown in those ugly thoughts until a tall girl with the brightest smile she had ever seen walked up to her and offered her a bar of chocolate.

 

“You’re spacing out again. Are you still feeling tired?”

 

“Huh?”

 

Eunbi snaps from her thoughts and turns to look at Sojung blankly. The latter is trying hard not to squeal at the cute sight of her best friend.

 

“What were you thinking of, hm?” Sojung drapes her arm around Eunbi’s shoulders and the younger girl immediately rests her head on the crook of Sojung’s neck.

 

“Nothing much,” Eunbi answers, locking her gaze on the television. She knows that if she looks up, Sojung will try to read her and Eunbi doesn't want that. Sojung knows her too well already that reading her is as easy as learning how to count.

 

“You sure?” Sojung doesn't drop the topic and looks at Eunbi worriedly.

 

Knowing Sojung won't give up until she tells her, Eunbi gives in and tells her what was on her mind. “I was just thinking about how lucky I am to have you.”

 

Eunbi finally looks up and smiles warmly at Sojung who is now looking at her with a surprised expression, cheeks slightly flushed by the sudden confession. The shorter girl pokes Sojung’s cheek gently and giggles softly when the latter sends her a weak glare.

 

“I don’t think I can imagine a life without you in it,” she adds before Sojung can say a word.

 

“Yah, what are you saying,” Sojung crinkles her nose and avoids Eunbi’s gaze. She feels like she could melt at any second if she continues looking into Eunbi’s innocent-filled eyes.

 

“You asked me what I was thinking about and I answered you truthfully.”

 

Sojung can only let out a soft chuckle when the younger girl sticks her tongue out childishly at her.

 

“Tsk,” Sojung flicks Eunbi’s forehead gently, causing the latter to whine. “You really have a way with words, don’t you?”

 

“Well, spending time with Yewon in the library when we were still in high school surely did have its perks. I got to read lots of books there while she’s studying. All you did was sleep whenever you sneak into the library on your off days,” Eunbi snickers, earning herself a light slap on the arm.

 

“Whatever,” Sojung grumbles and changes her focus back on the television.

 

Δ

 

Jung Yerin is curious as to why Sojung and Eunbi are not together in a romantic kind of way. She has been observing the pair since Sojung introduced Eunbi to her. The way they look at each other, the way they talk as if they’re flirting, the way Eunbi’s hand will always find Sojung’s wherever they go. It makes Yerin confuse that the two are nothing more than just best friends.

 

Yerin has known Sojung longer th

Please log in to read the full chapter