Chapter 8:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After another hour of discussing how to get Yejin in to see Leo at Fantasy D.O. left and Xiumin returned to his room to work on more details of the proposed mission. Yejin on the other hand flopped back onto the couch to merrily get lost in the internet that she now had access to thanks to Chen.

Aside from D.O.'s visit the rest of the day continued on much like the days before. She made dinner, Chinese this time, they ate in a surprisingly comfortable silence and instead of a cocktail Xiumin made a mug of Belgium hot chocolate that Yejin fell in love with upon first sip. Xiumin had a mug of tea as he sat with her in the lounge watching the sun set.

“It's dangerous if you leave the apartment,” Xiumin suddenly said. His voice soft and calm as it broke their even silence.

Lowering her mug onto the square table between them she shifted her position so she was facing him more directly. She pulled her left knee to her chest as she crossed her arms on top of it and rested her chin on her forearms. “It's dangerous to challenge an egotistical gang leader,” she said.

“Then why do you insist on going outside?” he challenged. He sat his mug next to hers as he turned his head to meet her gaze. He didn't look as irritated as he had when D.O. was over, but there was something tense and solemn deep in his eyes.

“Do you let your enemies control your actions?” she countered in a calm tone matching his own.

There was a break in their conversation as Xiumin surveyed her expression. Finding something that Yejin couldn't possibly guess as he questioned, “So this is about your pride and showing Suho you're not scared?”

“No, I'm very scared, terrified even, but I won't let that stop me from living. Suho has taken a lot from me, and tried to take even more but I won't stand for it. If Dragon does kill me then that just means I wasn't good enough to go up against Suho,” she explained honestly.

Xiumin's lips pressed into a hard line as they continued to stare at one another. Yejin wondering what he was thinking about her reply. Was it too childishly ignorant? Perhaps, but she stood by her words, even though she had never encountered a situation like being hunted by a professional killer, or any sort of killer until a week ago. It scared the hell out of her, but Poseidon had always told her to stay strong in the most miserable and impossible of times.

“What was the even more you mentioned?” he inquired. His tone a little more stressed than it had been a moment ago.

Yejin fiddled with the amethyst ring on her finger, spinning it with her thumb as she recalled seeing Suho bringing a marriage contract to Poseidon's office a week or so before his passing. “He wanted me married,” she replied in a broken voice.

Xiumin's gaze widened as he questioned, “To him?”

A weak chortle left Yejin as she reached for her hot chocolate. Her hands cupping the warm ceramic allowing the heat to bring her pulse back down to a reasonable speed instead of the heavy metal beat her heart was drumming against her ribcage. Talking about Suho always worked her up and she hated the effect he had on her like that.

“God no, he's not that crazy. He likes his freedom too much to ever get married, so he was going to force his right hand man and I together. With me married to Sehun then everything would seem fine and with zero questions about loyalty would arise when the big secret got out. Now that I'm out and about Suho has no guarantees,” she explained.

“Sehun sounds like a better right hand than Suho ever was,” Xiumin muttered.

Yejin shrugged, “Too soon to tell. I mean look at the role model he's taking after.”

“True,” he huffed.

Sipping at the hot chocolate Yejin tried to relax slightly, but all the talk of Suho and Dragon had put her whole body on high alert despite knowing that she was safe in the apartment with Xiumin. When her mug was empty of the delicious chocolate beverage she managed to get her back to release some of its tension, but it wasn't enough to make her feel comfortable in the chair.

Setting down the mug again Yejin decided to start up her own topic away from Suho and Sehun. “Have you tried to remember when we first met and how I know your real name?” she questioned in a brighter and curious tone.

Xiumin didn't give an outwardly response like she had been hoping for, but his answer caught her interest. “I have and I'm frustrated I can't recall it.”

“I can't blame you it was, what seven, no eight years ago. Guess it had a bigger impact on me that it did you, which is to be expected I was a dumb teenager then,” she rambled on just to talk. Anything to keep her mind away from that .

“You're not going to actually tell me about it are you?” Xiumin guessed. He took his tea back and sipped at it with an annoyed expression.

“Hm,” Yejin hummed with a smile. “Not yet. I think I'll hold onto that secret a little longer, but I will give you a hint to give you a fair chance at remembering on your own,” she said.

“Oh joy,” Xiumin deadpanned.

“We actually met on your birthday, or so you said at the time.”

Getting to her feet she grabbed her empty mug and made her way to the kitchen leaving a quietly contemplating Xiumin behind. She didn't hear a peep from him the rest of the night, not even yelling at a phone call like he had done at least once every night since they had moved into the condo. As Yejin laid in bed trying to fall asleep her new phone pinged with a text that she grabbed to read.

I think you've thoroughly stumped him. He's been staring at a wall in his room for an hour straight, Chen had sent.

Yejin giggled and wrote back, Good. Mission accomplished!

A second later. Is this some sort of revenge?

You could say that. He shouldn't have forgotten.

Girls are scary.

Girls or just me?

Probably just you.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Goodnight Yejin.

'Night Jongdae.

Placing her phone back on the nightstand she rolled over and went to sleep. A content smile on her face.

Three days later Min was knocking on the apartment door with a dress bag in one hand and a large paper shopping bag of accessories in the other. With a brisk, “I love your taste in clothes,” she was on her way out again while Yejin scurried to her room to check out the haul. The plans were all set for her visit to Fantasy, Xiumin acting as her and Leo her target. All that was left was the right ensemble which Min had just delivered. Everything else in Yejin's closet was fine for lounging about the condo and casual days out on the city, but not for a y night on the town.

After a quick peek inside the dress bag, beyond thrilled that Min had found the color she had wanted, she made her way into her adjoining bathroom to shower and prepare. It was a quarter past seven when Xiumin knocked on her bedroom door wondering what was taking so long when they had an hour and a half long drive ahead of them.

“Do not rush me!” she hollered back. “If you want this to go right you will wait until I have achieved the right level.”

“Level of what?” he questioned.

“Classy ,” she replied quickly.

Xiumin didn't bother her again as she finished curling her hair to perfection and applying just the right amount of makeup. When she was finished she appraised herself and concluded that she would fit in with the crowd that hung around Fantasy. It wasn't her usual style, maroon lace dress a little too revealing, makeup too thick, hair too voluminous, but in certain ways she could see the pretty side to the look.

With black strappy heels in hand she made her way out into the living room where Xiumin was sitting on the sectional with his phone in hand. When Yejin stopped next to the couch he glanced up to see she was there then back to his phone as he stood, but a second later his gaze shot back to Yejin who gave a flourished twirl of her appearance. Xiumin's gaze widened noticeably at the dangerous – albeit short – length of the dress's skirt before returning to her face with a more controlled expression.

“That is not the face of a man who is about to say something nice about my outfit,” Yejin stated flatly.

“You want me to say something nice about this?” He gestured to her, sounding dubious.

“Not that I look good,” she muttered. “That I'll blend in making it harder for people to recognize me. I'm insulted that you would think I would wear this regularly to a club

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter