Chapter 5:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yejin spent most of her time in lock down at Xiumin's Headquarters with Chen. She made runs to the kitchen just down the hall for coffee for Chen and bottles of water for her and a selection of candy she found hidden in the back of a cupboard. Chen seemed to enjoy the company as he continued to sort video feeds and adjust the coding in his scanning programs. Yejin tried a few times to make sense of what he was doing but after three minutes of listening to him ramble on and on in a language she absolutely did not understand she clamped a hand over his mouth shaking her head.

After many hours of chair racing down the long hall, a few staring contests, and a couple poem games Chen received a call from Xiumin. Things were all set at the condo and he wanted to leave then since it was just before morning rush hour traffic. It would make blending in easier and if they were tailed they could lose them in the chaos. So after Chen explained how she could get back to the Info Center Yejin stole a quick hug before turning to leave.

“Hey I'll get you a new phone sometime this week,” Chen called after her.

Back tracking to the doorway Yejin grinned in at him. “Really?”

“It'll make things easier when I need to get a hold of you, or Xiumin does,” he said.

“Thank you Jongdae. You're the best,” she praised.

“I know,” he beamed.

With that she continued on her way to the stairwell and up to basement level one. Hands shoved into the back pockets of her stonewashed jeans Yejin spotted a well-dressed Xiumin waiting in the cross section of the corridors with her bag at his feet and his phone in his hands. When she stopped next to him he spared her a glance before finishing what she assumed was an email or text on his cell and pocketed the device.

“When we get to the condo write down your clothing sizes and preferred brands so I can send it to Min,” was the first thing he said to her. “She'll go shopping and bring over a full wardrobe, because that,” pointing to her bag on the floor, “will not be enough.”

Bending over she pulled the bag onto her shoulder as he pulled out his phone again to answer a message. “How long are you expecting this to last?” she inquired.

Xiumin led the way down the hall to where the elevator was, Yejin quickly keeping stride with him. “We won't be able to get Yixing out of prison for another two months and then possible another few weeks as he carries out your job,” he replied conversationally. It was just business after all.

“And that is if everything goes according to plan,” Yejin added.

“Which, let's be honest, hardly ever happens,” he muttered.

“I believe you'll get it done, no matter how long it takes. Poseidon had that kind of faith in your abilities,” she commented.

They came to a stop at the elevator, Xiumin pressing the call button as he glanced over at Yejin. She wasn't particularly smiling but there was a pleasant calm to her expression as she gazed back at him. As for Xiumin there was a moment of bemusement before a film of pride brightened his eyes and a twitch of a grin danced along his lips.

The doors opened to the elevator as he said, “Poseidon was a good man and a great business partner.”

“A good man despite his line of work you mean,” Yejin uttered.

They entered the elevator as Xiumin pulled out a key from his pocket and placed it into the hidden keyhole next to the panel. Then the doors closed and they were rising though the small screen counting the floors said they were going down towards the lobby.

“I'm not in a position to judge career options,” he stated.

Smirking amused she said, “I guess that is true. Though I certainly don't have a right to judge either. I supported him.”

“You did work for Poseidon?” he questioned with a sideways glance.

“That's not what I meant. I never went against his orders and was always assured him he was great,” she said.

“But did you do work for him?” Xiumin pressed.

“Never on purpose, he was very good at manipulation and taking advantage of a situation,” she answered.

The doors opened and Xiumin retrieved his key, pocketing it before holding out his arm to Yejin. She glanced at the gesture for a moment stunned to see an act of a true gentlemen before her. Blinking away the shock she linked her arm with his allowing him to guide her through the lobby and out of the building. The sun just barely breaking over the horizon as they made their way down the sidewalk towards a sleek sports car parked along the street. It wasn't until they were both inside with the engine running that either of them spoke again.

“Nice Lexus,” Yejin complimented.

Xiumin didn't seem to hear it as he flatly said, “Luhan mentioned that you said that Suho wanted your father dead, but you never said if he did it himself or if it was a hit. I know Poseidon had been sick as of late, but there's been no word on how he died. Most of the rumors flying about on his death have come from Luhan's place and he only found out through you.” He paused to pull out into traffic that was slowly starting to clog the roads. Angry honking sounding off in the distance. “How did you know Poseidon was dead and how was it done?” he inquired like it was a demand.

Yejin's light mood darkened as she stared at the man driving them towards his safe house with half lidded eyes. was pressed into a hard line at the question while her hands clenched into tight fists.

“Your silence isn't looking good,” he commented dryly.

“Suho was preparing a hit on Poseidon because poisoning him was taking too long,” she replied between clenched teeth.

“Then how did he die?” He didn't look away from the road as they inched along, but Yejin could sense that he was closely gauging every little thing she did out of his peripheral.

“He was shot dead in his bed two days ago,” she stated.

“The same day you had a meeting preset to see Luhan,” he said skeptically.

Sarcastically Yejin muttered, “Crazy how things work out.”

“Who killed him?” Xiumin pressed on.

“You don't need to know.” Her voice was so cold and rigid that Yejin didn't even recognize it herself.

As she turned her leer out her window to the slowl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter