Chapter 30:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yejin grunted.

She coughed for breath as she laid face first on the gray and navy combat mats. She was sore, tired and sticky with sweat from three long hours of intense training. Yixing was a tough coach and Gem was an absolute brutal demonstrator and trainer. It had only been four days since the contract rewrite and signing and Yejin was completely whooped from the daily training that she was put through so she wouldn't screw up their planned hit.

As the girl caught her breath she groaned as someone grabbed her left wrist trying to pull her to her feet. Yejin whined as she buried her face into the sweaty mat trying to get away from the torture.

“Five minutes,” she begged. “Give me five minutes to wallow in my aches and failure.”

The person holding her wrist tugged it urging her to stand, but Yejin didn't want to. “Let's go ninja girl. You only have half an hour left of training,” Gem said with a chortle.

“Five minutes, please,” she whined into the mat.

“Fine, but I want ten extra laps because you wanted a break,” Yixing spoke up.

Lifting her right hand she gave the room a grateful thumbs up. “Thank you!”

Gem laughed more as she dropped the girl's arm. As the woman padded away Yejin folded her arms under her head closing her eyes for a power nap before she was forced to go head-to-head with Gem again. She could just barely hear Yixing and Gem muttering to each other across the padded combat room, some comments on Yejin's progress – which was good from the sound of it – and the rest was not so subtle flirting between the very obvious couple.

Yejin was almost out cold when a new voice entered the room startling the girl awake. “Have you finally broken her?”

Yejin groaned in annoyance at being awoken and the smug amusement in that familiar voice. Slowly lifting her head from her arms she turned it to narrow her gaze at the man strutting towards them. A playful smile on his handsome face and hands casually shoved into the pockets of his trousers.

“Shut up Xiumin,” she grumbled. “Don't you have work to do or something?”

“I'm on break,” he smirked at her.

“What a coincidence,” Yejin murmured.

“Come to see how your girlfriend is doing?” Gem joked.

Minseok's gaze moved from Yejin's grumpy face and over to the couple with a crooked grin. The girl on the ground rolled her eyes as she flopped onto her back, a breathy moan of pain escaping her lips as she did so.

“And how is she doing? Passing grade or is she a flunkey?” Minseok played along, tone light and amused.

Yejin forced herself to sit up with a muffled grunt as she eyed the auburn man who stood between her and her trainers. He was smiling too much for Yejin's liking and his stupidly attractive face only made her more annoyed.

“She's definitely passing,” Gem replied.

“She's passing,” Yixing corrected.

“Maybe she's getting too many naps,” Minseok teased. His eyes sparkling as he glanced sideways at her.

If her tired state and the hunger growing in her belly wasn't enough of a frustration then the teasing of her boyfriend and playful glances of Gem and Yixing – though his was more composed. The plan came to her quickly, so fast there wasn't time to pout at Minseok's last comment. Mentally smirking to herself she began putting her plan into action.

“Xiumin you're such an ,” she grumbled. The man turned to face her fully, eyes widening slightly at her. “I'm down here busting my yet all you can do is make snide comments. Jeez, you're such an .”

“Whoa, what the hell?” Minseok said. He took several steps towards her, face no longer amused, his expression was dark and insulted, almost angry as he towered over Yejin. He removed his hands from his pockets, fingers twitching as he kept his arms at his sides. “Where is this attitude coming from?”

Instead of answering him Yejin moved as quickly as she could to fulfill her plan. In the moment that she grabbed his right hand with both of hers she brought her legs over to his, one in front and one behind. As she tugged on his arm she spun her body to knock Minseok off his feet. She felt his body contract at the action, going on the defensive as he fell towards the floor. Throwing her weight to the right she had enough momentum to bring herself atop of the man before he could combat roll from the impact.

There was a split moment when Minseok was flat on the mat about to throw Yejin off of him and she was dropping onto her knees straddling his abdomen. The second following that moment was crucial to who was going to win the wrestling match and Yejin was determined to win. Leaning forward at the same time bringing her right knee to his crotch, though not applying full pressure yet. Minseok's right hand had moved to grab her left wrist, but when he tried to tear her arm away she pressed her knee down earning a grunt from him.

A smirk tilted as she locked gazes with the man below her. His brows were knitted together and mouth puckered in distaste, he was still attractive even when he looked bitter and grumpy. Yejin lowered her head to Minseok's with a playful hum.

“You get worked up too quickly. You should know I would never say that to you, do I look like a controlling, narcissistic girlfriend?” she muttered softly.

“Yejin,” Minseok growled in a warning tone.

She lowered her head more so was at his ear. “Thank you for all that you do for me,” she whispered. “And know I would never call you an like that, but I would comment on how nice yours looks.” A giggle left Yejin when Minseok released a drawn out groan of frustration. They really could bug one another with just a couple of words.

“Ah,” Gem cut in. “Is this normal for you two of has our napping whiner finally succeeded in a take down?”

“If I say both do I still have to run laps?” Yejin called over her shoulder.

Yixing nodded.

Yejin sighed turning back to Minseok below her. She pecked a chaste kiss to his cheek before rolling off of him smoothly and getting to her feet. “It was a fluke,” she admitted with a huff. “It wouldn't have worked on Gem and I don't think he tried at all.”

“Not true,” Minseok said. All eyes moved to the man pushing himself up from the mat. Dusting off his backside and hands Minseok looked from the quiet Yixing to Yejin who had an eyebrow raised in question. “I did try, but you played dirty.”

“It's the only way to play in this line of work,” Gem grinned cheekily.

Yixing stepped over to Minseok shaking his head, although Yejin caught the light in his brown eyes and the right corner of his mouth twitching towards a half smile. “If that girl can take down the head of the Circle in twenty seconds with no gun I would love to see how fast she can do it with a weapon,” he wryly commented.

Minseok rolled his eyes as he folded his arms over his chest while Gem trotted up behind Yixing with an innocent expression. Yejin merely watched as the woman dropped her chin onto the assassin's shoulder so she could stare over at Minseok with bright humor-filled eyes that matched Yixing's.

“Me too,” Gem hummed.

“Never going to happen,” Minseok stated. “Now don't you all have a practice to finish?”

“Yejin finally accomplished a take down, I say she just has her laps to finish,” Gem suggested.

“Yay,” the girl dryly cheered.

Yixing shot her a look that made her shut . “Get going or it'll be fifteen.”

She was hungry and tired, more laps were not on her wish-list, pork buns and seaweed soup was. Nodding Yejin took off a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter