Chapter 29:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol yawned loudly from the driver's seat, to-go mug of coffee halted just in front of his unhinged jaw. Jongin gave a short leer at his senior for the unnecessary noise, but with a quiet huff he turned back to the file in his lap. They were still on stake-out duty, Sehun, Neptune's right hand man, had been spotted frequently in the neighborhood, but neither of the officers had yet to see the man. While they spent most of their days in a car on different blocks and listening to the police radio Jongin had taken to reviewing the Poseidon file until he could basically recite the record word-for-word.

Now as the rookie flipped a page his senior officer sipped his long since cooled coffee and made an unpleasant face. Jongin recrossed his ankles that were propped up on the dashboard as he scratched at the back of his neck, brows furrowing together. Something just wasn't adding together with the information they had.

“Chanyeol,” Jongin muttered flipping through the file again.

Placing his coffee back in the cup holder between their seats the older man glanced at the rookie before turning his gaze back to the people walking the streets. “Yeah?”

“Did you know that Neptune also went by Suho?” Jongin inquired.

“Not until recently. Why?” Chanyeol replied curiously.

“Not until Baekhyun mentioned it during the interrogation?” the brunet questioned.

He felt the strange look Chanyeol sent his way as he continued scanning over the transcript of Baekhyun's questioning of Neptune. “Yeah probably. Why are you asking?” Chanyeol's tone was guarded as he spoke.

“That was the first I've heard of it too. How did Baekhyun know about it? And why did it make Neptune look so worried to be called Suho?” Jongin queried out loud.

Chanyeol shifted in his seat to face Jongin slightly better, who finally looked away from the file in his lap with dark and suspicious eyes. He could see his superior didn't like the look on his face at all.

“Are you implying that Baekhyun is a dirty cop?” Chanyeol asked bluntly.

“I want to know how he got that information no one else in the department had,” Jongin said, not denying his own implication.

Chanyeol's face reddened with angry while his hands gripped tightly onto the steering wheel in front of him, knuckles turning white from the force. “Then ask him,” he ground out.

“He hasn't exactly been forthcoming lately,” Jongin reminded. For the last few days Baekhyun had been snappish and commanding. Barking orders left and right whenever the two officers stopped into the office before heading out to look for Sehun or Neptune.

“Then report him,” Chanyeol snapped. Jongin stared at the older man as he smoothed back his black hair. Baekhyun was the one who exploded not Chanyeol, this encounter was new to the rookie, who could only gape at the officer. “Take your concerns and evidence to the Chief and report Baekhyun if you believe there's something truly suspicious about his work.”

“Chanyeol,” Jongin began.

“No,” he hissed back nailing the brunet with a stern glare of warning. “Listen to me you foolish kid. We don't need someone who crushes others' careers to further their own on this team and if that's all you're after you'll be transferred faster than you can bring that complaint up to the Chief. Baekhyun has been my partner for two years and before that he was an excellent street cop and colleague. He would not jeopardize his hard work on whatever it is you're suspecting him of. So before you attack an innocent man why don't you ask him about the Suho thing.”

The car was eerily silent after Chanyeol's rant, that was only broken by the static of the radio. Jongin closed the Poseidon file with a rustle as he removed his feet from the dash and readjusted his seat so he was sitting properly in the car. After ten minutes of silence Chanyeol's cellphone rang which he quickly answered while Jongin blindly scanned the faces passing by on the street for one that wasn't going to be there.

“Yeah?” Chanyeol said into the device. There was a pause as he listened to the caller speak. “An informant? How long have you been in contact?” he asked. At that Jongin glanced at Chanyeol with an eyebrow raised in curiosity while the other man returned the look with a smug grin silently saying I told you so. “Okay we'll be there in twenty.”

Hanging up the call Chanyeol started the engine. They were merging into traffic when Jongin inquired about the phone call to which Chanyeol shot him another smug look that Jongin didn't like.

“Baekhyun wants us to meet his underground informant,” Chanyeol replied.

“He has an informant?”

“Only for the last six months apparently.”

Slouching in his seat and folding his arms over his chest Jongin skeptically questioned, “And he didn't tell his partner about this informant until now?”

“Do you know how informants work?” Chanyeol challenged drily.

Jongin refused to answer. He was tired of being reminded that he was still only a rookie, so he pursed his lips and leered out the windshield.

“The fewer people who know about the mole the less likely it is for their existence to be leaked to the enemy. So of course only Baekhyun and the Chief knew about the informant,” the older man explained when Jongin didn't speak. As they pulled onto the highway he nonchalantly added, more as words of wisdom than a threat this time, “If you can't learn to trust your partners you don't stand a chance in this line of work. Paranoia is a cop's worst enemy.”

Yejin's meeting of Yixing was not at all what she had expected, mostly for the fact that she spent most of the time talking to Gem. After introductions in the small conference room where Minseok and her discussed their deal, Gem jumped up from her chair with a finger pointed at Yejin with wide eyes.

“Ninja girl!” Gem exclaimed with bright eyes.

Yixing and Minseok stared between the two women for awhile as Yejin eyed Gem trying to decipher what she meant. The older woman grabbed the assassin's arm and began shaking him vigorously as words spilled from than humanly possible.

“I told you about that scrappy girl who saved my in that church years ago. Damn, I never expected to see her again. Holy this is amazing!”

Yejin racked her brain for a moment or two while Yixing tried to pry himself out of Gem's unrelenting grip. Then she jumped up too, nearly knocking over her chair as she smiled wildly at Gem.

“Spy master?”

“What the hell are you two going on about?” Minseok questioned exasperatedly.

He went completely ignored as the girls broke out in their own conversation.

“I still can't believe you jumped through that stained glass window,” Yejin commented.

“I had to get away from those s.” Gem merely shrugged.

“Who I honestly thought were after me, which was why I unintentionally helped you out.”

Gem raised a brow. “Really? What would a bunch of thugs want with a high schooler?”

“God only knows. There were too many reasons back then,” Yejin chuckled.

Gem laughed too as they returned to their seats, immersed in their own conversation about their freak encounter five years ago. It had only been a few months since the GD incident and Yejin was still gloomy about it, so much so that she had started taking long walks without Tao, which went against Poseidon's rules. If she went out she was to have Tao or Suho with her (Sehun wasn't around until she joined university) as an , but she didn't like Suho, who never let her go where she wanted and Tao she had been causing enough trouble for at that time, so she went out alone.

On one particular walk Yejin had noticed a group of men following her and she had nowhere else to go for safety – she was blocks away from her apartment and any 3.6.5 buildings – so the eighteen year old her ducked into a church in hopes that the men had morals and wouldn't try anything in a holy place. Yejin had only just stepped inside the seemingly abandoned church when the sound of shattering glass caught her full attention. Turning to her left she saw blue and green stained glass rain down around a darkly clad figure who had made their own entrance. Then before the girl could blink all hell broke loose with the four guys from outsid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter