Chapter 24:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the following twenty-four hours Minseok stayed away from Yejin. Chen said he was busy with work, Yixing's escape due to occur in six days, but Yejin wasn't that easily convinced. He was avoiding her, hopefully considering the plan to visit GD and not just blatantly ignoring her like Poseidon would have done. As dinner passed and Tao was receiving his evening medication from the teasing and slightly aggressive medic, Baekhee, Yejin had a sinking feeling in her gut as the dorm room door swung open to allow their new visitor in. In with him came a dark cloud that silenced Tao's complaints about the shot he was receiving.

Minseok stopped at the foot of Tao's bed, hands in his pockets and face unreadable other than he clearly had business here. Yejin, who had been chortling at Tao's childishness, now tightened her hold on his hand that was clamped around hers like a vice. She dared a look at Minseok but he was staring intently at Tao, who seemed to completely forget the needle in his arm as his swollen face wore a serious expression. Yejin glanced between the two men wondering what sort of silent conversation they were having.

“Jinjin how about you get some of that cake you were telling me about,” Tao suddenly said. He gave her a half smile, but she could tell it was only an excuse so she would leave.

Baekhee had lost her grin when Minseok walked in, and quietly finished up with Tao before heading out of the room without her usual sassy wave and wink for Tao. Yejin thought of leaving with the medic, but she was stubborn and wanted to know why Minseok was showing up now when he had refused to see her that morning and had had Chen entertain her during lunch. What did he want with Tao?

“Is that what you're waiting for?” she addressed to Minseok. “You want me to leave so you can talk to Tao alone?”

“It's business,” Minseok stated.

Releasing her friend's hand Yejin stood from her chair and stepped towards the foot of the bed where she stopped next to Minseok. She could see him peering sideways at her as she stood there and crossed her arms.

“I thought we had crossed that line of professionalism, but I guess some things stick around.” With that said Yejin her heel and left the two men alone to discuss whatever it was that she wasn't suppose to hear.

Stepping down the hall Yejin considered going to Chen and complaining to him about Minseok's attitude lately and his important meeting with Tao, but as she came to the small corridor that led to Minseok's office she paused. She wasn't sure why she bothered going inside, she had spent plenty of time alone in his office, Minseok seemed to trust her that much. As she stood in the center of the room she glanced about at the immaculate office, nothing out of place not even a stray file on his desk. Huffing a sigh she spun around to leave feeling stupid to think that there might have been something lying about to give her insight into what he was thinking. Minseok was a neat-freak he didn't just leave things sit–

Ring ring.

Yejin halted her leave to hear a cellphone going off. She followed the noise to Minseok's desk, but there was only his desk lamp, laptop and two metal paperweights on top of it. Pulling open the top drawer she found the device, screen lit up and still dinging with his genetic ringtone. Her brow arched as she read the caller ID while picking up the phone.

Pressing the green answer button Yejin placed the phone to her ear. “Yes Bambi.”

There was a long pause on the other end of the call, for a moment Yejin thought he had hung up, but then the brothel tycoon finally spoke. “It's been a while darling. What do I owe the pleasure of you answering my humble phone call?”

Sitting at Minseok's desk, leaning back in the chair she felt a little smug at having caught the arrogant man off guard even for a moment. For the most part Yejin had gotten over the incident on his birthday, especially after she found out that Minseok had punched the guy and he claimed it was her fault. She knew the sort of guy Luhan was, he was an , but he was an that had an okay side that she didn't mind socializing with.

“Xiumin left his phone in his office, thought I'd play secretary while he's off interrogating my best friend,” she replied coolly.

“Aw, so it's not because you missed me,” Luhan said with mock sadness.

“No, but I did hear that I missed one hell of a punch,” she commented in amusement.

Luhan scoffed. “Had a ing bruise for a week. Do you know how hard my job is when my handsome face is damaged?”

“Poor Bambi,” she cooed patronizingly.

“Watch it darling,” he warned.

Crossing her legs she rolled her eyes at the tone he used, trying to intimidate her. Since their first meeting and his agreeance to take her to Minseok she had not found the blond man all that scary or threatening, then again she had grown up with Poseidon as a father and watched him smile when he had admitted to killing U-Kwon.

“Fine let's change the subject,” she hummed. “So why are you calling Bambi?”

“Just business, nothing to do with your Suho roller-coaster adventure,” he answered casually.

“Now what would know about my adventure Bambi? That's all confidential.” Yejin's spine had gone as straight as a board at Luhan's words. Had Minseok told him things that were suppose to stay between them as the contract holders? Did Luhan know Poseidon's real name? Or that the police were looking for her in suspicion to his death? She held her breath as she waited for Luhan's reply.

“Not only do I deal in the pleasurable side of business, darling, but I also am the main source of information for the Circle. My girls and a few of my boys handle some of the most elite personal in the city, and most of the country. Things slip out during nights of passion and lust, as you may know,” he chuckled devilishly. “I hear the rumors. I know Suho isn't interested with getting you back anymore dead or alive. He just wants you out of the way and from my sources he's getting desperate. He's even canned Dragon and no one fires Dragon from a job, so you're not the only one after his head. Now it's a race and I love a good race.”

Yejin bit her lip as she bounced her leg that was propping the other up. This was all news to her, at least the stuff about Dragon. She was aware Suho had gotten annoyed with Dragon, hence the plumber attack, but knowing he was fired changed a few things. Like going outside wasn't nearly as dangerous as it was weeks ago.

After several long moments of Yejin not responding Luhan said, “What's running through that pretty little head of yours darling?”

“Bambi can you answer something for me?” She ran a hand through her black hair, her lighter brunette roots starting to show. Part of her missed her royal blue hair, but there was another part of her that had grown attached to the mundane color, it was like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter