Chapter 23:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tao was out cold for a solid thirty-four hours before he regained consciousness and relieving Yejin of the ever growing worry in her core that had threatened to send the girl storming out of headquarters with colt in hand and the determination to slay Suho when her friend didn't rouse after the first twenty-four hours. If it hadn't been for the fact that she didn't have the key to the elevator and that Chen had caught her on the cameras carrying the gun so he called Minseok to inform him she would have made it out of the building and gone on the –more that likely failure– mission of finding Suho and ending the man for good. On her way from Minseok's office, where she kept the colt, and to the elevator said man came flying out of the Info Center to stop Yejin's marching down the hall to the elevator and quickly wrestled the gun from her as she screamed and cursed at him. When she realized that Minseok had no plans on handing over her gun or allowing her to leave she stomped her foot and left to go back to Tao's side with a scowl for the man who stopped her.

The following evening when said beaten blond finally woke up with a wan smile because of his still bruised and swollen face, Yejin was over the moon with relief and happiness that she broke down sobbing against his shoulder. Tears filled Tao's eyes at the sight of the usually composed girl completely breaking down because he hadn't won a fight that he wasn't meant to win in the first place. After a few hours of waterworks and scolding one another for crying and not being careful Yejin went off to fetch food and let one of the medics know Tao was awake. Once Baekhee gave the all clear for Tao to consume solid foods, though it was a reluctant call with Tao begging and whining for kimbap, Yejin handed over the food to his functioning right hand and they ate as they spoke like they use to before Suho ruined everything. It started out with Tao's work and how things were running in the underground, but every thing he told her she already knew because Chen and Minseok kept her up to date on 3.6.5 and Suho's movements, so all too soon things turned toward her and what was going on her side of things.

“So,” Tao said around the last giant bite of his kimbap. “From the whisperings Jongdae's passed me you're 'dating' Xiumin. When did that happen?” He gave air quotes with his right hand as his only good eye searched her face for an answer.

Yejin had stopped chewing her own roll at the topic change, gaze widening and cheeks blushing. She wasn't exactly dating Minseok, but they weren't nothing either, so she had no idea how to answer that question. Then there was the way he had been gazing at her whenever their paths crossed since Tao's arrival which only got worse with her lapse in judgment with the colt. They hadn't spoken since that incident a little over twelve hours ago, nor had they had their standing lunch dates that last two days, but that was understandable with Tao's condition. She had to look after him, Minseok would understand, Yejin was hoping he would.

Swallowing her mouthful she struggled for the words to answer her friend. “We're not, ah, really 'together'.” She air quoted the last word.

Tao's right eye narrowed at her. “Then what are you two? Jongdae has made it sound very much like a couple thing, minus the dates because you can't go out and stuff,” he uttered.

Placing her left elbow on her corresponding knee she dropped her chin into her palm with a gruff sigh as she rolled her eyes. “That's a great ing question. Oh and it's Chen here. Jongdae is for when he's off work,” she muttered.

“Fine,” Tao sighed.

They were silent for only a moment, Yejin nibbling on her half finished kimbap, Tao with a new list of questions and statements to make that she could see written across his swollen face.

“So it's really the same guy from that one time?” he asked curiously.

“Mhm,” she nodded.

“But Poseidon didn't want you anywhere near him,” he reminded her. “Like at all, you cried for like two weeks after that.”

“Yeah, but I think I can make this decision for myself now. Besides I'm pretty sure Poseidon had ulterior motives for wanting me to stay away from Xiumin, like business ventures and paternal fear,” she murmured the last part just in case someone passing by outside could hear their conversation.

Tao made a noise of understanding before his demeanor changed and Yejin immediately took notice. His gaze was flickering about the room and his mouth was pressed into a tight line despite the pain it seemed to cause him.

Lowering her food from her face she inquired, “What? Why so tense?”

“Jinjin I have some news,” he said in a low voice. “Actually it's more like a message which might have had something to do with me getting jumped.”

Suddenly very serious Yejin lifted her head from her hand and inched closer to the bed Tao was carefully propped up in, nearly falling out of her chair. Eyes glued to his face she cautiously asked, “A message from who?”

“GD,” he stated.

Yejin's brows knitted together, prompting him to elaborate.

“He says he needs to see you. Something about only being able to tell you in person, and that it will help with your goal,” he explained.

She trapped her bottom lip between her teeth contemplating what GD could have that could possibly help her take out Suho. He had helped her secure the meeting with Luhan, but that was as far as he was able to help while keeping his involvement as quiet as possible so Suho wouldn't target his business. Yejin didn't hold it against him, she was thankful enough for the small gesture that wasn't really as small as GD said it was.

After five minutes without a response from her Tao waved a hand in front of Yejin's face pulling her out of her anxiously circling thoughts and back to the dorm room and her eagerly awaiting friend. “Well?” he questioned.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter