Chapter 22:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three loud shots echoed in the room and Yejin lowered her gun to the counter to check the target. From behind she heard one person gulp, another whistle, and the third clapped slowly. Turning around she saw her two usual combat training partners exchanging glances while Minseok, who had taken the afternoon off from meetings, lowered his hands from his smart- applause. Yejin had told him she was a crack-shot with a gun, but since the break in at the condo there hadn't been a time to prove it to him between his work and them getting distracted by one another when they had free time.

Now Yejin flashed a rather smug smile having bullseyed all three test shots of the pistol Minseok had given her to fire. As for her combat buddies Henry looked ready to flee from the room while Amber gave another whistle to show how impressed she was. Yejin leaned back against the waist high counter with crossed arms waiting for someone to say something before she went back to firing.

“I won't ever trip you during practice again. Swear,” Henry said as he gestured to cross his heart in the form of the child's promise.

Yejin rolled her eyes while Amber snorted in amusement.

“Yeah right,” Amber chuckled. “That'll only stop when she gets the go ahead to carry on the grounds.” She patted the blond on the shoulder as he shifted uncomfortably in the chair he sat backwards in.

“Well actually,” Minseok muttered from his side of the six foot wide room. Henry's eyes rounded further as his already pale face turned even whiter, like a ghost.

“Seriously? She's already carrying boss? ,” Henry gaped.

Amber just laughed more at the anxious man's reaction.

“Wanna go?” Yejin asked Henry as she jabbed her thumb over her shoulder at the target thirty yards behind her.

He shook his head causing his almost platinum locks to fall into his eyes. Shoving the hair back he said, “God no! I'm a close combat specialist, guns are my kryptonite.”

“A bullet to the head is everyone's,” Amber added drily.

“Shut up,” he grumbled.

Snickering at his pouting fit Yejin turned her gaze to Minseok who was eyeing her carefully. His arms were crossed, mimicking her stance against the back wall as his eyes never left her face like he was looking for something.

“If you keep staring I'll take it as a challenge,” she told him.

His brow cocked upward as interest passed through his eyes. “Oh really?”

“Watch yourself Yejin, boss never misses,” Amber warned playfully.

“I don't know, I think she's a better shot,” Henry said absently.

Amber gave him a quick elbowing to his side, yearning a yelp from him as she muttered for him to shut up. She flashed an innocent smile towards Minseok who hadn't torn his gaze away from Yejin. Pushing off of the wall Minseok stepped over to the counter taking hold of the gun Yejin had sat down with one hand while the other brushed the girl out of his way so he could stand where she had been.

Adjusting his hold on the gun Minseok's brows pulled together in confusion, Yejin noticed the look as she stared at his face from the sidelines.

“Problem?” she inquired.

“When did you flip the safety catch? You didn't do it after shooting,” he said. He had been watching her hands carefully as she shot, and when her finger never put the safety back on he had internally smirked, and was waiting to scold her playfully about it. Now as he held the pistol he found the safety on and at a complete loss when she had done it when he had been watching her like a hawk.

“Wouldn't you like to know,” she smirked. As Minseok glanced sideways at her, not amused about her upper hand, she simply hummed, “I know how to handle a gun, never fret.”

Minseok clucked his tongue turning his gaze to the target ahead and taking aim. There was silence for twelve long seconds as the Circle's leader lined up his shot then six shots rang out in quick succession. As he flip the safety catch and sat down the gun Yejin turned to the target in the distance. Her brows knitted together as she saw random holes below the bullseye, so she hit the button to bring in the paper on the pulley system. For a tactical expert and a person proficient in weapon and hand-to-hand combat Yejin found it impossible for Minseok to miss the center of the target so severely as five inches downward.

Once the target paper was at the counter Yejin stood next to Minseok inspecting it with Amber and Henry hovering behind them trying to see it too. There was the hole from her three rounds earlier in the dead center through the yellow circle. Below that literally mocking her in the thick red band of the target was a well placed smiley face, one shot for each eye and four to form the mouth that seemed to smirk victoriously at her.

Pressing into a line Yejin turned her half lidded gaze to the man who's expression matched that of the target smiley. “Party trick you've been working on?” she muttered sarcastically.

“It's been known to impress women,” he replied smugly.

“Really? You should teach me boss,” Henry said eagerly.

“What,” Amber snorted, “so you can embarrass yourself at the next firearms exam. I'd pay to see you fail that just so Suzy can yell at you and make you cry again,” she laughed.

“She didn't make me cry! Stop telling people that happened, it didn't,” Henry complained.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter