Chapter 19:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Four doors down from Minseok's office was a rarely used dorm room that originally was used by his trainees, but most of the dorms had been moved to the floor above the training grounds. Now, the room was mostly used by Minseok when he didn't feel up to heading to his place of residence, and others who worked at the headquarters like Chen and D.O.. Yejin, after eating with Minseok, made claim to the bed furthest from the door on the left and went to sleep.

Too soon HQ became an almost comfortable second home to her. She either spent her mornings bumming around Chen's office scanning through security footage looking for Sehun or Suho in the Bangtan District, or following Minseok to the Info Center to gather any in-tell that had come in over night. By afternoon she would head downstairs to join a group of trainees for combat practice – which started as showing off what Tao had taught her, but only to find out that she had the bare basics of combat knowledge – then afterward she would go to Minseok's office to eat lunch with him while he either kept working, or ranted about not finding Suho or the group the two guys who attacked them were from.

Roughly two weeks after the attack and moving into the Circle's HQ Minseok was not waiting in his office for Yejin with lunch already delivered. She pouted, stomach grumbling for food, and pulled out her phone to text him. Plopping down on the couch, tired from the training she sighed and waited for a reply or the man himself to appear. After five minutes of nothing she got to her feet to go find him and her MIA lunch, though it wasn't much of a search. The first place she thought of checking was the Info Center, and lo and behold he was there. . . So was Chen and D.O. which was a surprise to Yejin.

Trotting down the metal stairs Yejin stopped next to the two standing men who were staring at Minseok, who appeared to be in the middle of a meeting with a very beautiful woman and an older guy, only by a couple of years, with faux tortoise framed glasses that enhanced his angular features. Chen and D.O. were muttering back and forth when Yejin showed up to Chen's left.

“– totally impossible. She's got Ok trailing after her like a lost puppy,” D.O. was saying.

“So what about Taecyeon, she's had a whole slew of dude's under her finger before,” Chen countered.

“Xiumin would have to be nuts to go back to her now. Especially if it's true about her new trading post being in Russia. He doesn't deal that far outside of Asia,” D.O. said matter-of-factually.

“True, plus there's Yejin,” Chen murmured.

“What about me?” she spoke up.

Chen jumped like a frightened cat and clung to D.O. who's wide eyes grew even more so at the unbeknownst appearance of Yejin, who arched a brow at them.

“When did you get here?” D.O. asked. He was prying Chen off of him and shoved the man away who placed a hand over his heart as he took several deep breaths.

“Jesus, Yejin, you scared the out of me,” Chen grumbled.

“Around Ok being a puppy and Xiumin being nuts,” she replied. Glancing across the large room she watched the woman with almost ebony black hair and equally dark lipstick brush a hand along Minseok's arm as they spoke at the oval table. Yejin's gaze narrowed as she asked, “Who's that? I don't recognize her.”

“Shin Jimin,” D.O. answered smoothly. “Human trafficker extraordinaire, though she mostly sticks to spousal arrangements these days, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a storehouse of underage girls stored somewhere waiting for the right price.” His tone was anything but light as he spoke.

Yejin knew the underworld was dark, gritty and vile, but sometimes she forgot how nasty it was. Poseidon was not a saint but he prided himself in upholding morals in his work – at least to an extent. He traded and sold illegal firearms, dealt with drugs, ran several underground casinos, but he didn't go near human trafficking, ion or anything that involved buying people. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't much of a line he drew, but Yejin found it sensible to have a set of morals one could live by even if their life was tainted.

“Ew,” was Yejin's response.

“Yeah,” D.O. nodded.

“Why are you here Yejin?” Chen asked.

Pointing to Minseok she said, “Lunch didn't show.”

Amusement lit up D.O.'s face as he looked at her. “Standing lunch date got stood up by the arrival of an ex. Oow this is going to be a good episode,” he snickered.

“Ex? Xiumin and Jimin dated?” she questioned ignoring the comment of her life turning into a drama. Chen had a file on his computer labeled Criminals' Condo that Yejin had found out about a week ago while helping with video feeds, that was full of clips of Yejin and Minseok at the apartment that he had defensively said 'were too good to not archive.' Apparently it was that file that he shared with D.O. and was going to show to Luhan, which she had already clubbed him for.

“Off and on for, what was it? Like a year or two?” Chen directed at D.O. with an arched brow.

“Something like that,” D.O. shrugged at him. Turning his gaze back to Yejin his smirk grew devilishly. “Jealous?”

Yejin her lips in thought at the question. Peering back at the three in the meeting, Ok Taecyeon clearly a third wheel as Jimin and Minseok spoke rapidly at one another. The woman's gaze almost smoldering as she looked at Minseok, who was indeed handsome and matched well with her. Yejin clicked her tongue as she looked back at the two men eagerly awaiting her answer.

“Not really,” she said.

“R–eally?” D.O. hum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter