Chapter 1:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yejin adjusted her shirt for the third time as she made her way down the long flight of stairs. Why was the casino so goddamn tall? She made sure the back of her shirt covered most of her rear as she clung to her shoulder bag strap with her other hand. Heart racing on adrenaline, hands shaking, eyes darting over her shoulder as she hurried down the stairs. There was no one in the stairwell, at all, which was unusual and raised the hairs on the back of her neck.

Despite the anxiety that she felt growing inside Yejin managed to make it to the ground floor and slip out into the back alley. It was the middle of the night and the spring weather was damp and foggy making it perfect for Yejin's plan. Blinking to get her eyes to adjust to the dim light of the alley from the blinding white stairwell. Once she could see well enough she charged down the alley, water splashing about the tops of her ankle boots, as she made for the taillights at the mouth of the alleyway.

Double checking that the driver was who it was suppose to be Yejin climbed inside the passenger seat, pulling her bag onto her lap. With the door shut she raked both of her hands through her recently black dyed hair as the car lurched forward out of the alley. She took a long deep breath trying to relax against the car's seat, but there was the painful poke of metal to her lower back like a horrible reminded of what she had just done.

“So this is it?” Tao asked. His tone mildly frantic as he drove down the street away from the 7Seas Casino.

“Yup,” Yejin nodded.

“Were you followed?” he questioned.

Glancing in the side view mirror Yejin saw no familiar cars following them, but that didn't calm her pulse any.

“I didn't see anyone on my way down, but that doesn't mean that Suho doesn't have someone watching me. Someone is always watching me,” she said. Her hands knotting around the strap of her bag as her mind recited the plan over and over until it was basically white noise to her other thoughts.

“I won't be seeing you for a while after tonight,” Tao said after several minutes of tense silence.

Yejin turned to her closest friend, blond hair damp and sticking to his forehead and temples. She could see the tension in his shoulders and eyes as he drove, tears gleaming in the corners as he bit his lower lip like it was a piece of gum. Yejin placed a hand on his shoulder earning her a sad sideways glance as he turned a corner.

“I need you to lay low while I'm gone. Don't let Suho get suspicious, I want you to stay safe,” she said. Her hand tightening on his shoulder with each word.

“Don't worry about me. You're treading inside the Circle,” Tao said nervously. He was always the sensitive one, crying before Yejin could when she scraped her knee, or being more excited for her first date than she was.

“I have to Tao,” she stated. “It's all I have left to do to fix things. Suho's taken away all my other options.”

“I know, but I don't like the thought of you going in alone. Neptune has people inside the Circle, what if they figure out who you are and tell him?” he challenged frenetically.

“There are only five people in the world who know who I am and one of them is dead. I also doubt Suho is going to start broadcasting my identity to the others, it would only cause bigger problems for him,” she explained. Her tone was calm, but her pulse was still chaotic in her veins. Removing her hand from his shoulder she added with a huff, “And don't call him Neptune now. He doesn't deserve that title anymore.”

“Sorry, habit,” Tao uttered.

They fell silent again as they neared Yejin's stop. She had been there before, several times, but never for business like she had planned for that night. Her stomach twisted with nerves as she swallowed the lump forming in . They were so close.

“I'm going to miss you,” she suddenly said.

The tears spilt from his eyes as his right hand left the steering wheel to grab her knotted ones. Yejin took several calming breaths as her best friend cried for her. As he sobbed he pulled over alongside the road and parked. Unbuckling himself Tao leaned across the car and wrapped Yejin in a tight hug as he continued to cry. She never understood how a boy like Hwang Zitao made it into a gang like 3.6.5., but she always chalked it up to his impressive fighting skills. Hugging him back Yejin tried to comfort him, but she just didn't have the confidence to do that successfully.

“I'm going to miss you too, Be careful in there,” Tao sniffled.

She tried to pull away, but Tao was still clinging to her. Patting his back she softly said, “You have to let go at some point Tao.”

“I know, but I don't want to,” he grumbled like a child.

Yejin managed to crack a half smile as she wriggled free. Wiping the tears from his cheeks with her palms Yejin gave her best I'm-going-to-be-fine look before moving to leave the car. Tao grabbed her arm when she had one foot outside the car causing her to look back at him curiously.

“I have to go. I can't be late for this meeting,” she said.

“Make me a promise Yejin. If something goes wrong you'll run, you'll try to get away, then call me. I will come to get you,” he said. His gaze serious as it locked with hers, the remnants of tears still glistened on his lashes.

“Tao, there's no running from the Circle,” she said.

His grip tightened. “Yejin promise me,” he urged.

“I-I promise.”

Tao was slow to release her, but as he did Yejin finished climbing out of the vehicle with a heavy heart and an even larger knot in her core. She made sure the metal object in the waistband of her pants was secure before she continued inside the tall brick building Tao dropped her off at. Holding tightly onto her shoulder bag she passed through the side door that had a bulky guard on the other side of it.

“Whoa, whoa! What are you doing in here?” He held up a hand stopping her further entry.

The club was lit by a deep red light while loud pop music blared through a hidden sound system. There were barely clothed women dancing everywhere as men and women alike milled about enjoying themselves. Yejin could tell most people didn't come in through the side door – probably none knew of it – from the startled yet annoyed look on the bouncer's face.

“I have a meeting,” Yejin replied.

“Yeah? And I'm the next star of We Got Married,” he muttered sarcastically.

“Tomorrow, not today. Today, not yesterday. We are always late,” Yejin remarked.

The man's gaze widened at the girl's words recognizing the quote immediately. Blinking twice he collected himself and t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter